PDA

View Full Version : Footy cartoon career draws to an end

Scraggers
30-12-2008, 11:18 AM
Footy cartoon career draws to an end

10:38 AM Tue 30 December, 2008

NEWSPAPER cartoonist William Ellis Green – better known as WEG, and renowned for his iconic grand final victory posters – has died aged 85.

WEB drew cartoons for the Melbourne Herald newspaper for 40 years until his retirement in 1986, and raised more than $2 million for Victoria's Royal Children's Hospital through sales of his premiership posters.

The posters were originally created to advertise The Herald at newsagents, but grew into a phenomenon, selling more than 100,000 every year, the Herald Sun newspaper reported.

WEG's grand final series began in 1954, but the artist went on to produce posters for every grand final dating back to 1897 to satisfy collectors.

Herald and Weekly Times managing director Peter Blunden on Monday described Green as a great Australian.

"Nothing is more symbolic of Melbourne and its football history than a WEG poster, and they've given so much to the community," he said.

He said WEG's efforts for the Royal Children's Hospital were phenomenal.

"Every year he has donated his talent and effort to the hospital's Good Friday Appeal to produce the posters, which in many cases have become valuable collector's items," he said.

"It's hard to imagine anyone achieving that again."

GVGjr
30-12-2008, 11:20 AM
He was a very nice man. I met him a few times and he was a gentleman.

Twodogs
30-12-2008, 11:32 AM
A friend of a friend worked at The Sun when I was a kid. WEG signed my sutograph book and then drew a sketch of me in it.

Christ knows where it went.

The Coon Dog
30-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Was this the first of his Herald Premiership Posters?

http://www.footy.biz/images/54Footscray.jpg

When I read the heading I thought our resident lunatic had hung up his crayons! ;)

aker39
30-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Was this the first of his Herald Premiership Posters?

Yes it was

mighty_west
30-12-2008, 01:54 PM
Very sad new indeed, i am a huge fan of his work.

:(

westdog54
30-12-2008, 02:38 PM
A very sad day for football. WEG's work is now a part of footy folklore. He will be dearly missed.

firstdogonthemoon
01-01-2009, 01:35 PM
A sad day for football and cartooning. There aren't many old style proper cartoonists around any more. It's all this post modern squiggling.

Who'll draw the Dog's premiership poster now?

Mark Knight I suppose. Has to be a News Ltd cartoonist. I reckon he could do a decent job of it.

ledge
01-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Apparently WEG did a 1953 one but he wasnt with the HS then so it was only dished out to friends, neighbours etc
He was also just supposed to fill in at the HS for 6 weeks as regular journo was on holidays or something.

mighty_west
01-01-2009, 04:39 PM
A sad day for football and cartooning. There aren't many old style proper cartoonists around any more. It's all this post modern squiggling.

Who'll draw the Dog's premiership poster now?

Mark Knight I suppose. Has to be a News Ltd cartoonist. I reckon he could do a decent job of it.

Ricardo might be an option, his Captains & Superstars series posters from 03 & 04 were great, more lifelike than Weg, but great all the same.

ledge
01-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Jeff Hook passed away ?
He was a HS icon