PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs vs Eagles Challenge Match

southerncross
16-03-2007, 05:16 AM
The Eagles have named their squad to play the Dogs. No Daniel Kerr

This from Footy Goss (http://www.footygoss.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=32308&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0)

Star West Coast midfielder Daniel Kerr will miss the Eagles final practice match for the season against the Western Bulldogs on Saturday after pulling up sore at training yesterday.

Kerr has had an interrupted pre-season with off-field issues and injury worrying the club.

Chad Fletcher, Ben Cousins, Darren Glass, David Wirrpanda and Beau Waters will all come back into the Eagles side this week.

Here is their full squad for the NAB Challenge game at Subiaco Oval on Saturday.

2. Mark LeCras, 3. Chris Judd, 5. Tyson Stenglein, 7. Chad Fletcher, 8. Beau Waters, 9. Ben Cousins, 10. Michael Braun, 11. Matt Priddis, 14. Mark Seaby, 15. Chad Jones, 17. Daniel Chick, 18. Rowan Jones, 19. Tim Houlihan, 20. Dean Cox, 21. Quinten Lynch, 22. Jaymie Graham, 23. Darren Glass, 24. Matt Rosa, 25. Shannon Hurn, 27. Ben McKinley, 29. Ashley Hansen, 32. Andrew Embley, 35. Steven Armstrong, 38. Brett Jones, 39. Adam Hunter, 41. Brent Staker, 44. David Wirrpanda, 45. Jamie McNamara.

Go_Dogs
16-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Should be a good hit out. There is no way of getting a radio stream or anything online is there?

firstdogonthemoon
16-03-2007, 01:51 PM
I am horrified to learn that there wont be any kind of broadcast - it is ludicrous that they wouldnt consider streaming a local radio broadcast on the internet.

When is the AFL going to get a proper grasp of the capacity of the internet rather than remaing in their narrow "money making only" frame of reference.

grr

southerncross
16-03-2007, 04:15 PM
I am horrified to learn that there wont be any kind of broadcast - it is ludicrous that they wouldnt consider streaming a local radio broadcast on the internet.

When is the AFL going to get a proper grasp of the capacity of the internet rather than remaing in their narrow "money making only" frame of reference.

grr

I wouldn't hold my breath in getting the AFL to jump on board with the notion that we should be able to tap into the net and pick-up the game details.

LostDoggy
16-03-2007, 08:17 PM
The dogs squad for the game is

Dylan Addison, Jason Akermanis
Matthew Boyd, Adam Cooney
Daniel Cross, Luke Darcy
Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt
Cameron Faulkner, Daniel Giansiracusa
Lindsay Gilbee, Chris Grant
Ryan Griffen, Ryan Hargrave
Shaun Higgins, Brad Johnson
Andrew McDougall, Jordan McMahon
Will Minson, Brett Montgomery
Dale Morris, Robert Murphy
Sam Power, Farren Ray
Matthew Robbins Wayde Skipper
Scott West, Cameron Wight

The interesting things for me are
1) Higgins back so quickly after a heavy knock. This kid is tough
2) McDougall against his old team on their own patch. I'm sure they will give him hell and really test him. I hope he has a good outing and really shoves it back at their fans and his former team mates.
3) A very strong squad with no one really being rested. Griffen returns
4) Still no Peter Street which does not bode well for the start of the season.

The question I have is can we shut their midfield down?

alwaysadog
16-03-2007, 09:09 PM
The interesting things for me are
1) Higgins back so quickly after a heavy knock. This kid is tough
2) McDougall against his old team on their own patch. I'm sure they will give him hell and really test him. I hope he has a good outing and really shoves it back at their fans and his former team mates.
3) A very strong squad with no one really being rested. Griffen returns
4) Still no Peter Street which does not bode well for the start of the season.

The question I have is can we shut their midfield down?

1)Higgins is a real old fashioned footballer and very valuable because there are all to few of them left in the game.
2)The Eagles will think they know how to get into Doogs head as they have had plenty of practice at it, if the rumours are true. So it will be a test for Doogs but also a test for us in supporting and sticking up for one of ours. It will also show how far Rocket has managed to progress in restoring Doog's self belief.
IMO he is very similar to lots of our current mid age players who were in a parlous state when Eade took over. It may be much to soon for real improvement to kick in, but I would like to think that he had a team mate at his shoulder in every contest and that he gets heaps of support and encouragement from the team leaders during the game. If as has been alleged he has been the victim of bullying/harrassment then the best solution is to make him feel he is never on his own, and that we as a club are above any of that sort of tactic.
3) Not just a strong squad getting close to our best. I think we won't want to negate the Eagle's midfield but will try to outdo them. Should be a fantastic battle. We haven't done too badly against the Eagles in recent years, with one major exception.
4) Streeta is a big miss, his height and better tap work will be missed but Will will make sure theer is a contest and if they are not as far advanced as us will hurt a few bodies.

While I was worried about the Lions game I am much more relaxed about this one and think we will make a good account of ourselves tomorrow.

bornadog
17-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Lets not forget that this is still a practise match and a chance for players to find some touch. Eade will still be experimenting with the players and trying to give some young guys game time. I don't think Higgins will be playing.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Griffen's not playing.

He played with The Bees.

GVGjr
17-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Griffen's not playing.

He played with The Bees.

Check the Bees thread. I have provided an update and DR reported it early as well.

southerncross
17-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Bulldogs are going OK at the moment. Not a bad hit out for us and given that Street, Minson and Griffen played today for the Bees so we can still improve the line-up by round one.

Raw Toast
17-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Does sound like a good hit-out but Skipper's hammy is unfortunate and it sounds like Grant might be a bit sore as well.

southerncross
17-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Got to say it's great to hear that Hargrave is playing an attacking defensive role and running down and kicking a good goal. 10 different goal kickers for us so far is also a good sign.

southerncross
17-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Another goal to Johnson. His 2nd for the night. 89 to 75 with not long to go.

Dry Rot
17-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Acker not playing?

Who's on Lynch?

southerncross
17-03-2007, 10:53 PM
another goal to the Doggies via Robbins. It's all over now.

Dry Rot
17-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Sounds like we played OK, but poor defence and clearances again.

southerncross
17-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Acker not playing?

Who's on Lynch?

No, he is being rested. Not sure who has mainly played on Lynch but Hargrave is picking him up now.

The siren has just sound. 96 to 76 which is a good result.
Darcy got through the game well which is huge for us.
Tough accountable football with good skills got us over the line.

Injury to Skipper

Dry Rot
17-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Yes, a good hitout against the premiers.

Looks like Skip is out for Rd1, possibly Grant too.

bornadog
17-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Where is this info coming from...................... Southerncross are you in Perth?

southerncross
17-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Where is this info coming from...................... Southerncross are you in Perth?

It was on the radio via 6PR. It's finished now.

bornadog
17-03-2007, 11:11 PM
With Skipper out do you think Street will be brought in or Eade will chance Minson and maybe some of Darcy's time in the ruck?

Raw Toast
17-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Got to say it's great to hear that Hargrave is playing an attacking defensive role and running down and kicking a good goal. 10 different goal kickers for us so far is also a good sign.

Shaggy's last few games are close to our best news from this pre-season (shaded probably by Darcy and Murph's return, with Higgins up there as well).

Dry Rot
17-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Darcy sounded like he did a bit of ruck work tonight.

I'm told by a few here that Wight is no ruckman, which leaves McD as back-up. Street soudns like he won't be ready.

southerncross
17-03-2007, 11:15 PM
With Skipper out do you think Street will be brought in or Eade will chance Minson and maybe some of Darcy's time in the ruck?

Interesting question. Street was OK today but probably needs to play next week again for the Bees. I think if he is available he should play ahead of Skipper. I don't like the idea of going into a game with just one ruckman and I'd prefer to try not to put too much expectation on Darcy just yet.

I hope two of out WA contributors trevnoss and kennel master give us some reports.

southerncross
17-03-2007, 11:30 PM
This from Footy Goss

Assistant coach Chris Bond will take the lead coaching role for tonight's NAB Challenge match against West Coast at Subiaco Oval.

Due to an illness in the family, Rodney Eade will not coach the side tonight.

BulldogBelle
17-03-2007, 11:36 PM
This from Footy Goss

Assistant coach Chris Bond will take the lead coaching role for tonight's NAB Challenge match against West Coast at Subiaco Oval.

Due to an illness in the family, Rodney Eade will not coach the side tonight.

It was mentioned on the radio that Rodney Eade's father was sick, so Bond took the lead tonight.

southerncross
18-03-2007, 07:47 AM
This from Footy Goss

The West Coast Eagles have lost their third game of the pre-season after the Western Bulldogs defeated the reigning premiers by 20 points at Subiaco Oval last night.

The Bulldogs won 15.6 (96) to 11.10 (76) in the final NAB Challenge match played in warm conditions.

The Eagles trailed for the entire match after the Bulldogs kicked four of the first five goals, however the Eagles could not gain momentum.

Quinten Lynch and Dean Cox each booted four goals for the Eagles, while Bulldogs skipper Brad Johnson nailed three last quarter goals.

Key forward Ashley Hansen injured his groin in the game, while Bulldogs veteran Chris Grant hobbled off with a leg injury in the first quarter.

West Coast captain Chris Judd was outstanding for the Eagles with 29 touches.

bulldogtragic
18-03-2007, 10:21 AM
This from Footy Goss

The West Coast Eagles have lost their third game of the pre-season after the Western Bulldogs defeated the reigning premiers by 20 points at Subiaco Oval last night.

The Bulldogs won 15.6 (96) to 11.10 (76) in the final NAB Challenge match played in warm conditions.

The Eagles trailed for the entire match after the Bulldogs kicked four of the first five goals, however the Eagles could not gain momentum.

Quinten Lynch and Dean Cox each booted four goals for the Eagles, while Bulldogs skipper Brad Johnson nailed three last quarter goals.

Key forward Ashley Hansen injured his groin in the game, while Bulldogs veteran Chris Grant hobbled off with a leg injury in the first quarter.

West Coast captain Chris Judd was outstanding for the Eagles with 29 touches.

Here in lies the problem, and unless we can do something to stop this any side with a few decent talls will kill us like the Saints did in round 21. This is definantly our weak spot and every side knows it.

southerncross
18-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Here in lies the problem, and unless we can do something to stop this any side with a few decent talls will kill us like the Saints did in round 21. This is definantly our weak spot and every side knows it.

Can't argue with that. Harris out really will expose us against the Cats and Grants injury might really test us.

alwaysadog
18-03-2007, 11:10 AM

We did have a few talls missing today, Street and Harris for starters, then lost Grant and Skip. If the Weagle talls can't dominate in that circumstance there is something very very wrong.

kennel master
18-03-2007, 12:06 PM
I went to the game and it was great to see the Doggies live. Here are some of my impressions of the game.
1st Qtr. We dominated but poor delivery early cost us. When we started hitting targets we looked great. We are a quick team and we switched the ball well. Tackling was brilliant and we had them under pressure. Backline was solid and we rebounded with flair.
2nd Qtr. Started well into the wind and continued to attack. Eagles fisrt couple of goals came from turnovers caused by fiddling around with the ball and poor decisions. By the end od the quarter we were hanging on as the Eagles were dominating.
3rd Qtr. A good contest this quarter with 3 goals a piece. We had trouble with Lynch who kicked some great goals it is fair to say, One from the boundary outside 50. Darcy started having an impact and we rebounded well from halfback.
Last Qtr. The Eagles got close and looked threatening but we steadied and some inspiration from Jonno meant we were going away from them at the end.

Rhoughts on players:

Johnson: what a gun. Played a lot in the midfield and went forward when required. In 2nd Qtr he had a fantastic run from halfback, four bounces, all the time hotly chased by an Eagle player, and then his kick fom 50 was touched on the line. Great game from Jonno.
Cooney: Was lively throughout and ran freely, no sign of OP. Looks set for a great season.
West: Typical Wsety game. In and under, linking with handball, tireless running.
Hargrave: Thought he was great. Did the job on Hunter, used the ball well and ran forward to offer another option (kicked a nice goal)
Gilbee: Solid game. Marked the ball well and kicked beautifully.
McMahon: One of my favourites and really created with his dash and long kicking.
Higgins: First time I've seen a lot of him and he is impressive. Hard at it and efficient user. Kicked two good goals.
Darcy: Seemed out of touch early. Started in ruck second quarter and did OK. In the third quarter he really had an impact, kicked a good goal and seemed to have adjusted to the speed of the game. May take a while but good signs.
Doogs: He is a big lad and despite not dominating did enough to show he will be a handy pickup. One chase and tackle was excellent and hepresented well. Had some time down back too.
Eagleton: Those who wrote him off are a little premature. A terrific running game, a couple of goals and his delivery into forward 50 was good.
Boyd: A solid game.
Minson: Looks a bit trimmer and did OK against the Big Cox, and also around the ground. His snap goal was a ripper.
Robbins: A couple of poor decisions early but presented well.
Murphy: Didn't see much of him. He played down back when he was on.
Giansiracusa: Kicked a goal but didn't have a big impact.
Ray: Ran well through the midfield and was serviceable.
Addison: Played well but spoilt his game with patches of poor ball handling and kicking. His poor handball lead to the Eagles first goal.
Monty: Didn't see much but what I saw was good.
Power: Did some good things but wasn't prominent.
Grant: Didn't see him after the start of the game.
Wight: Thought he played well despite Lynch kicking 4. He competed. spoilt well, backed himself and it was an encouraging performance. He will play full back round 1.
Morris: Solid game.

I'm sure I've missed some but that's about it. It was great to see the boys play so well and I reckon we will be ready for a big game against Geelong.

Cheers.

southerncross
18-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the update kennel master. Very much appreciated.

southerncross
18-03-2007, 03:04 PM
Just found this on The West

Eagles' shocker week continues
18th March 2007, 6:00 WST

West Coast’s week of woe slumped even further last night when a terrible start resulted in a 20 point loss to the Western Bulldogs at Subiaco Oval. After a tumultuous week that saw questions raised about why Chad Fletcher was hospitalised during the club’s end of season trip to Las Vegas and Eagles chairman Dalton Gooding admit that West Coast had drug and alcohol problems, the home team took forever to kick into gear and were goalless until 10 minutes into the second term as the Dogs piled on six goals.
Under siege all week, the Eagles imposed a media ban on their players after the match, banning the press from even entering their changerooms. It was the first time under coach John Worsfold that a blanket ban had been put on the players, and the media were informed of the decision at half-time, when the margin was only nine points.
Players continually refused to answer questions as they arrived at training during the week and Judd demanded to know whether a television journalist had a university degree when approached before Friday’s training session.
Both teams have concerns stemming from the game after Bulldog veteran Chris Grant and West Coast forward Ashley Hansen left the field with groin injuries and young Dog Wayde Skipper hurt his leg. Grant limped from the field with a groin injury just four minutes into the match and didn’t return while Hansen pulled up short after taking a mark midway through the second quarter.
Skipper had to be helped from the field in the third quarter after stubbing his foot as he tried to kick. He struggled to put any pressure on his right leg after the incident. Eagle Adam Hunter left the field in the final term with blood pouring down his face and jumper after being crunched by teammate Quinten Lynch.
The Eagles launched a series of stirring fightbacks throughout the game, led by their stars. Judd and Ben Cousins sprung to life midway through the second term, Quinten Lynch kicked three goals in the third term, and then they reduced the deficit to only eight points nearing time on in the final quarter, before Brad Johnson sealed the win with three goals for the term.
A family illness prevented Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade from working at the game so assistant coach Chris Bond took over the reigns.
Nathan Eagleton had plenty of the ball in the midfield, Johnson, Scott West and Adam Cooney were their usual prominent selves, Luke Darcy showed signs that he could return to the player that he was before his knee injuries, Shaun Higgins was lively in attack
The loss meant the Eagles managed only one win throughout the pre-season. They were comprehensively beaten by Fremantle in the NAB Cup, got thrashed by Essendon and then beat Adelaide in Alice Springs before losing to the Dogs last night.
The club also has key midfielders Daniel Kerr and Andrew Embley under injury clouds after both men struggled to train during the week. They have each played just one game since the NAB Cup began.

firstdogonthemoon
18-03-2007, 06:32 PM
I went to the game and it was great to see the Doggies live. Here are some of my impressions of the game.

Thanks muchly KM - still cant believe there was no broadcast of any kind.

Go_Dogs
18-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks a lot for all your reports, as always, very much appreciated.

GVGjr
18-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks muchly KM - still cant believe there was no broadcast of any kind.

The match was on 6PR. I surfed the net and listened to the game even got in a couple of games of online poker.

LostDoggy
18-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Good report everyone especially KM. I saw a bit of it one the news, does anyone know if it was actually televised over in WA?

kennel master
18-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Good report everyone especially KM. I saw a bit of it one the news, does anyone know if it was actually televised over in WA?

No it wasn't televised. There have been a couple of seconds of film during the news and that's about all.

bornadog
18-03-2007, 10:39 PM
The match was on 6PR. I surfed the net and listened to the game even got in a couple of games of online poker.

Did you win the poker:D

LostDoggy
19-03-2007, 12:58 PM
G'day All

Went to the game on Saturday but can't add much to the reports from The West, Herald Sun and Footy Goss. Can't go past Kennel Master's excellent and accurate analysis either. Just a few impressions related to some of the queries raised on this thread.

1. Darcy in the ruck? Played well, especially 3rd quarter. Held his own against Cox, but Cox on points. Can do the job but you wouldn't want him to carry the entire burden. Scored a great goal by side-stepping an opponent and slotting from 45 degrees, 35 metres out. Good test of a double knee re-con, and a good confidence builder. Has lost some speed but adds real grunt.

2. Billy Blogger asked, "Can we shut their midfield down?" Yes we can, quite comprehensively. The key to beating the Eagles is to pressure the ball carrier and the Dogs are the only other team with the leg speed to do that. Players under pressure make poor decisions, hence turnovers or contested ball. Neither the Eagles nor Subiaco Oval should hold any fears for the Dogs. Not only that, but Akermanis, Griffen and Hahn are waiting in the wings. Reasons to be cheerful.

3. Skipper. I think he stubbed his toe, kicking the ground instead of the ball. He was running too fast for himself. Came off on his own steam, able to put weight on it.

4. Grant. Didn't notice him come off. It was a hot night in Perth and the busiest person on the ground was the interchange steward. I counted up to 10 changes in one quarter. Bond managed the changes well I thought.

5. McDougall. The home crowd didn't really give him a hard time that I noticed. Not near me anyway. I was supporting Doogs and calling him "my man" when a stern looking fellow turned around and said "He's my man". OK, I thought, I'll just shut up now. Turned out to be his cousin, and we had a good chat about how Doogs is much happier at the Dogs than at a place where he was bulied and harassed by Gardiner and Cousins and the drugf&*%ed gangland zombies. Doogs' cousin was taking his kids to their first ever game. One of them swapped between an Eagles jumper and a Dogs jumper signed by Doogs that he got for Christmas. I hope by encouraging Doogs I put him on the right track- the Dog track. Doogs doesn't always know where to lead. He may need to work on some patterns. Otherwise his defensive pressure is much improved.

6. Minson's crash and bash is great to watch and can get the ball moving. Great snap goal.

7. Eagleton. The Bald Eagle. Man of the match. Great run, precise distribution. Really set up some great work between the half back and half forward lines. Ably supported by McMahon and Gilbee.

8. Johnson. Superstar. I think he took more bounces in one run along the wing than the Eagles took for the whole game. That effort fell short, but he is already in the same goalscoring form as last year.

9. West's use of the ball was exemplary, as usual, always finding a man or space. Dan Cross has completed his apprenticeship under the Master West and will take over from where Scott leaves off. Cross is a class act. Higgins played superbly, he's very willing and enthusiastic.

10. A couple of set shots went astray. Maybe the layout of the ground was unfamiliar.

11. The defence is a genuine worry. Not enough height, and a lot of indecision. Too much mucking around with handball when a clearance is required. Sometimes the contest takes place before the soldiers get there. Hopefully Harris can add a robust presence.

12. A satisfying result overall, particularly considering that it didn't take an especially superhuman effort. I was a little surprised at the relative lack of difficulty in achieving the win, although of course the regular season will be a different proposition. Also, the Eagles had their off field problems during the week. Boo hoo hoo. As if anyone cares.

cheers

WA Dogs- Sons of the Far West

southerncross
19-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Great report trevnosh, between you, KM, 6PR and the paper reports it's almost as good as being there.

firstdogonthemoon
19-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Cousins and the drugf&*%ed gangland zombies.

I liked their first album the best.

Twodogs
19-03-2007, 01:38 PM
I liked their first album the best.

They were better before the album came out. They just sold out after that.

Go_Dogs
19-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Interesting to hear those comments re: Doogs and his treatment at WC.

alwaysadog
19-03-2007, 05:47 PM
It was mentioned on the radio that Rodney Eade's father was sick, so Bond took the lead tonight.

Rocket is close to his father, had him with him when he did a coterie group meeting late last year.

GVGjr
19-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Did you win the poker:D

2nd in a 45 seat tournament.