PDA

View Full Version : Dogs Punt on a Sponsor

Bumper Bulldogs
30-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Hello Woofers,

Did anyone catch up with 3AW and the rumor file today.

It was said that the Dogs have a major sponsor for 2009 but it clashes with the AFL.

It is whispered it is a betting agency from off our shores.;)

LostDoggy
30-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Centrebet? only one that has Griffin at 88-1

GVGjr
31-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Hello Woofers,

It was said that the Dogs have a major sponsor for 2009 but it clashes with the AFL.

It's been the subject if a fair bit of speculation over the last month or two but is probably very unlikely to get through. Of course if the AFL is concerned the whole economic crisis would impact clubs they might relax the rules a bit.

Mantis
31-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Hello Woofers,

How does this 'clash' system work?

How is it ok for Mazda & Ford to be sponsors of teams who are direct competitors with the AFL's premier partner (Toyota), but we or other's cant have a betting agancy as our sponsor?

Sockeye Salmon
31-12-2008, 10:57 AM
How does this 'clash' system work?

How is it ok for Mazda & Ford to be sponsors of teams who are direct competitors with the AFL's premier partner (Toyota), but we or other's cant have a betting agancy as our sponsor?

The arguement has always been that Ford and Mazda were sponsoring Geelong and North before the AFL signed up Toyota.

Then last week they let Richmond sign up Nissan?

OLD SCRAGGer
31-12-2008, 11:07 AM
I've heard the new sponsor is going to be LUCKSBET or is it LUXSBET? Not sure on the spelling:confused:

LostDoggy
31-12-2008, 11:37 AM
The AFL has to address this issue immediately.

It appears that gambling agencies are one of the only groups still interested in shelling out some serious coin during this economic downturn and it would be negligent of the AFL to not allow our club to enter into this market.

on the one hand the AFL are asking us to be innovative in our quest for financial autonomy and with the other they are refusing our club the chance to make that a reality.

How lucrative is the betting agency deal for the AFL, anyway?

Not lucrative enough to leave our club dangling post the new year, I would of thought.

GVGjr
31-12-2008, 11:52 AM
The AFL has to address this issue immediately.

It appears that gambling agencies are one of the only groups still interested in shelling out some serious coin during this economic downturn and it would be negligent of the AFL to not allow our club to enter into this market.

on the one hand the AFL are asking us to be innovative in our quest for financial autonomy and with the other they are refusing our club the chance to make that a reality.

How lucrative is the betting agency deal for the AFL, anyway?

Not lucrative enough to leave our club dangling post the new year, I would of thought.

I would think that as a major sponsor to replace leaseplan the AFL won't bend on this but we might have a better option if we pitched a betting agency sponsor as one of our Premier partners to replace Ezybonds.

LostDoggy
31-12-2008, 12:02 PM
I would think that as a major sponsor to replace leaseplan the AFL won't bend on this but we might have a better option if we pitched a betting agency sponsor as one of our Premier partners to replace Ezybonds.

I'm a bit niave about sponsorship levels, but Im assuming it's less cash on the table for our club?

It's not relevant for the AFL to be stringent on this policy given the economic climate. They must be cognoscente to the fact that clubs don't have the variety to choose from, especially a club like ours.

If there is room for the car companies to find a compromise, then there is not argument for the AFL monopolising betting agency revenue.

I realise my arguement is a bit idealistic, but surely the compromise between the car makers means there is someway of making this possible?

GVGjr
31-12-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm a bit niave about sponsorship levels, but Im assuming it's less cash on the table for our club?

The major sponsor has the naming rights etc whereas the premier sponsors names are visible in the background whenever there is any media announcements.

I suppose the difference that the AFL would object to is:
The Leaseplan Western Bulldogs announce today that........would be acceptable
The Lucksbet Western Bulldogs announce today that......would clash with their own arrangements and might drag up the old chestnut about actively promoting gambling.

But we might get away with a Lucksbet logo on the background of our media announcements
Pedantic? I guess so but the concern would be that we are promoting gambling more if it's a naming rights sponsor.

It's not relevant for the AFL to be stringent on this policy given the economic climate. They must be cognoscente to the fact that clubs don't have the variety to choose from, especially a club like ours.

They would be mindful that if they bend too far on this then they wont have any room to move at a later stage once the precedent has been set economic crisis or not.

If there is room for the car companies to find a compromise, then there is not argument for the AFL monopolising betting agency revenue.

I realise my arguement is a bit idealistic, but surely the compromise between the car makers means there is someway of making this possible?

Cars don't strike up the same emotion as gambling. The AFL struck their deal after North and the Crows had theirs in place. Adding Nissan seems a bit strange though.

I think the real issue is that this is a gambling sponsor.

If we could get away with it replacing Ezybonds then it's not a bad outcome and something that we might be able to upgrade in the future.

Twodogs
31-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Cars don't strike up the same emotion as gambling.

With some people they do. Cars are destructive to the environment, cost the public a fortune in terms of corporate welfare and as a means of transport very outmoded. It would be easy to demonize cars to the same extent as gambling.

The AFL struck their deal after North and the Crows had theirs in place. Adding Nissan seems a bit strange though.

Richmond are also trying to add a gambling sponsor.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24828534-19742,00.html

LostDoggy
31-12-2008, 12:31 PM
If we could get away with it replacing Ezybonds then it's not a bad outcome and something that we might be able to upgrade in the future.

Great post, thanks for the heads up :thumbsu:

So where does that leave us in terms of securing major partner, from what I can gather, this betting agency is the closest thing we have to a signed deal at the moment?

GVGjr
31-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Great post, thanks for the heads up :thumbsu:

So where does that leave us in terms of securing major partner, from what I can gather, this betting agency is the closest thing we have to a signed deal at the moment?

I'm not so sure because I think we still have a more mainstream sponsor in mind. The sportsbet type sponsors are more cashed up though and would probably be a quicker and easier deal.

We will probably find out more about this in the next few weeks as the deal with Leaseplan expires tomorrow ;)

LostDoggy
31-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Richmond are also trying to add a gambling sponsor.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24828534-19742,00.html

Hopefully with more than one club lobbying the AFL, they will buckle to the pressure.

As for gambling being a sensitive issue, what about the AFL having CUB as one of it's major partners??

I think alcohol is just as destructive as gambling, but unfortunately perception is a cruel beast and gambling is percieved to be a far greater affliction than alcohol consumption.

LostDoggy
31-12-2008, 12:40 PM
We will probably find out more about this in the next few weeks as the deal with Leaseplan expires tomorrow ;)

Ah, mums the word.....;)

GVGjr
31-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Hopefully with more than one club lobbying the AFL, they will buckle to the pressure.

As for gambling being a sensitive issue, what about the AFL having CUB as one of it's major partners??

I think alcohol is just as destructive as gambling, but unfortunately perception is a cruel beast and gambling is percieved to be a far greater affliction than alcohol consumption.

Yes we can keep trying to justify this in a variety of ways and we can find fault or conflict with a variety of current sponsors but in the end, hopefully the AFL will bend just enough so that we can grab at least some sort of slice from the money these agencies offer.

The Underdog
31-12-2008, 01:21 PM
The arguement has always been that Ford and Mazda were sponsoring Geelong and North before the AFL signed up Toyota.

That wasn't as their major sponsor though was it? I'd be surprised if they let it go through if it was the naming rights sponsor. I think they'll be a little more lenient with secondary level sponsors

The major sponsor has the naming rights etc whereas the premier sponsors names are visible in the background whenever there is any media announcements.

I suppose the difference that the AFL would object to is:
The Leaseplan Western Bulldogs announce today that........would be acceptable
The Lucksbet Western Bulldogs announce today that......would clash with their own arrangements and might drag up the old chestnut about actively promoting gambling.

But we might get away with a Lucksbet logo on the background of our media announcements
Pedantic? I guess so but the concern would be that we are promoting gambling more if it's a naming rights sponsor.

They would be mindful that if they bend too far on this then they wont have any room to move at a later stage once the precedent has been set economic crisis or not.

Cars don't strike up the same emotion as gambling. The AFL struck their deal after North and the Crows had theirs in place. Adding Nissan seems a bit strange though.

I think the real issue is that this is a gambling sponsor.

Given our "branding" as the community club, I'd be surprised if we went for a gambling sponsor as our major partner despite how badly we need the money. It wouldn't look great and given the difficulty we've had with Edgewater and the issue of gambling machines it'd certainly be hard to argue that we're a particularly community minded club if most of our revenue is coming from gambling. Maybe I'm a little idealistic though.
I agree that the AFL will be unlikely to bend on letting a club gain a major sponsor that contradicts their existing agreements with gambling/alcohol/car/anything else companies but think they'll be a little more lenient for lower end sposorships as I said before.

Topdog
31-12-2008, 06:23 PM

It's not an argument its a fact.

Because Ford and Mazda were already sponsoring other clubs Toyota could not put in a no competition clause in their contract to sponsor the AFL.

ledge
31-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Lets get Mercedes or Jaguar.. the community club with class!

Bumper Bulldogs
31-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Just heard that the 2009 Premiers (Western Bulldogs) are having some sort of trouble with the new Sponsor and the development with the pokies, This may also have added fuel to the fire with the AFL.

Topdog
01-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Just heard that the 2009 Premiers (Western Bulldogs) are having some sort of trouble with the new Sponsor and the development with the pokies, This may also have added fuel to the fire with the AFL.

from who? who are the new sponsor?

Twodogs
01-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Lets get Mercedes or Jaguar.. the community club with class!

Didnt Mercedes go broke and got flogged off in parts to whoever wanted tyo buy it?

azabob
01-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Didnt Mercedes go broke and got flogged off in parts to whoever wanted tyo buy it?

Are you talking about world wide or Australia?

Twodogs
01-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Are you talking about world wide or Australia?

World wide. IIRC the brand was sold to a British company. I may have it arse around because cars aint my thing but I'm sure I remember reading and hearing about it and I'm a total news junky.

ledge
01-01-2009, 02:14 PM

No idea but it still rings better than Hyundai, Toyota or other car makers!
How about Austin Martin and James Bond becomes our number 1 ticket holder,
that would worry Demetriou!

Twodogs
01-01-2009, 02:28 PM
No idea but it still rings better than Hyundai, Toyota or other car makers!
How about Austin Martin and James Bond becomes our number 1 ticket holder,
that would worry Demetriou!

Actually I couldnt care less about the make or model but more about the comour of their money.

Mingo
04-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Just heard that the 2009 Premiers (Western Bulldogs) are having some sort of trouble with the new Sponsor and the development with the pokies, This may also have added fuel to the fire with the AFL.We cannot take a trick can we? :o

GVGjr
04-01-2009, 06:00 PM
We cannot take a trick can we? :o

We are the Bulldogs so it's always supposed to be a struggle. That being said I think we will win this one. Welcome Mingo

ledge
04-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Well its after christmas , its a new year, wheres the announcement?
I want us sponsored!!

The Coon Dog
04-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Well its after christmas , its a new year, wheres the announcement?
I want us sponsored!!

Haven't you heard the saying, 'Good things come to those who wait?' :D

Bulldog4life
05-01-2009, 11:31 AM

Don't know anything about an announcement but it wouldn't surprise me if it is done at the East West Day on January 17th.........if there is an announcement that is.

It will be the first time in 2009 that David Smorgon faces the faithful and an appropriate time I would imagine.

LostDoggy
05-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Given the lack of panic in the media, certain people in the know around here and elsewhere, I would hazard a guess and say that sponsorship is signed, sealed and awaiting delivery?

ledge
05-01-2009, 04:55 PM
I hope so.
So whats the hold up?????

Rocco Jones
05-01-2009, 05:24 PM

Tell us!!!

The Coon Dog
05-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Tell us!!!

I don't know anything!

bornadog
05-01-2009, 05:57 PM
World wide. IIRC the brand was sold to a British company. I may have it arse around because cars aint my thing but I'm sure I remember reading and hearing about it and I'm a total news junky.

No problems at Mercedes Benz, however plenty wrong financially with British Car makers.

BulldogBelle
07-01-2009, 12:04 AM
No problems at Mercedes Benz, however plenty wrong financially with British Car makers.

Jag and Land Rover sold to Tata motors of India by Ford a few months back.

Might have sold them at the right time with the collapse of the car industry.

ledge
07-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Ta-Ta motors quite appropriate, did Ford know something?

bornadog
08-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Jag and Land Rover sold to Tata motors of India by Ford a few months back.

Might have sold them at the right time with the collapse of the car industry.

yes and now Tata is trying to offload Land Rover. Some talk they may be shut down if they can't offload.