PDA

View Full Version : Griffens best position

GVGjr
02-01-2009, 10:01 AM
We all love the way Griffen plays his football but I would in interested to hear where you think he will play his best football?

Will it be as a barnstorming HBF defender like he did a couple of seasons back?

Would he be better suited to a wing where he can cover more ground and drive the ball into the forward line?

Should he be played in the middle where he can use his bigger frame to create to opportunities for others?

Could he be used as a marking HFF and goal kicker?

I like the idea of playing him on a wing because of his great pace, ball carrying ability and his ability of being able to kick the ball long to the forwards but I also wouldn't mind seeing be used as a forward as well. I think he could play the HFF role in a similar manner to the way Aaron Hamill did.

Dancin' Douggy
02-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I would hate to take years off his career by using him in a Hamill style role.

lemmon
02-01-2009, 01:24 PM
This year will be critical for him IMO. Needs to find more of the footy around the ground and make the transition to the midfield.

GVGjr
02-01-2009, 01:28 PM
I would hate to take years off his career by using him in a Hamill style role.

I don't mean he should be reckless like Hamill just play his normal physical game.

lemmon
02-01-2009, 01:30 PM
I don't mean he should be reckless like Hamill just play his normal physical game.

I think we need his run and carry and this could be a bit confined if he was playing as a forward.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-01-2009, 01:31 PM
We all love the way Griffen plays his football but I would in interested to hear where you think he will play his best football?

Will it be as a barnstorming HBF defender like he did a couple of seasons back?

Would he be better suited to a wing where he can cover more ground and drive the ball into the forward line?

Should he be played in the middle where he can use his bigger frame to create to opportunities for others?

Could he be used as a marking HFF and goal kicker?

I like the idea of playing him on a wing because of his great pace, ball carrying ability and his ability of being able to kick the ball long to the forwards but I also wouldn't mind seeing be used as a forward as well. I think he could play the HFF role in a similar manner to the way Aaron Hamill did.

Midfield or wing for me. His body strength combined with his speed and field vision makes it an irresitable choice. He really needs to get more of the ball.
I think later in his career he could be very effective up forward. Hopefully that won't be necessary for another 7-8 years.

Mantis
02-01-2009, 03:46 PM
I think he should be playing primarily as a midfielder. He has explosive pace away from a stoppage which few players have and I suppose we are lucky to have Cooney as well with similiar qualities.

With a bigger tank I would be hoping it could play in the middle for longer periods than previously and then spend time up forward.

The Underdog
02-01-2009, 04:48 PM
I think this needs to be the year he spends most of his time in the midfield. I agree that he'd be good on a wing but I think his ability to win the ball and burst from a stoppage are something only he and Cooney can give us whereas we have a few players who do what he could do on a wing or at least play a similiar role.

bulldog
02-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Griff's possie is on ball and rest up forward oh and he will win the Brownlow this year get on now

Go_Dogs
03-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Inside mid. I think he has a very good football brain at the feet of the ruck contest, he hits it running and is very explosive with his speed and thus difficult to stop. He basically ticks all the boxes, I for one can't wait for him to get his endurance to elite levels.

Happy Days
03-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Inside mid. I think he has a very good football brain at the feet of the ruck contest, he hits it running and is very explosive with his speed and thus difficult to stop. He basically ticks all the boxes, I for one can't wait for him to get his endurance to elite levels.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Strong as he may be, wouldn't using him as an inside mid restrict his run and carry, which is, IMO, his greatest strength?

At this point in his career, with his speed and skills still at full capacity, if not below, his best spot is on a wing, drifting into the midfield.

Dogs 24/7
03-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Play him on a wing and see if he has the endurance. He is one of those rare players that turn defense into attack so easily.

Go_Dogs
03-01-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Strong as he may be, wouldn't using him as an inside mid restrict his run and carry, which is, IMO, his greatest strength?

At this point in his career, with his speed and skills still at full capacity, if not below, his best spot is on a wing, drifting into the midfield.

I'm not suggesting that he has to be at the base of every pack, more so to play in the Cooney mould. Wins his own ball, uses his speed to create time and space, and can then run and carry the ball.

He really just needs to get fitter so he can get more handball receives and really impact the game and use his strengths more frequently.

mjp
03-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Griff's possie is on ball and rest up forward oh and he will win the Brownlow this year get on now

It isn't 1970 you know!

gohardorgohome
04-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Where does Griffen come in the endurance training and beep testing. If he has a good motor then I would like him to spend more time in the midfield.

GVGjr
04-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Where does Griffen come in the endurance training and beep testing. If he has a good motor then I would like him to spend more time in the midfield.

He's been good so far in the pre-season from what I have seen. Is there much difference endurance wise playing in the midfield (centre square action) or on a wing?

ledge
04-01-2009, 01:28 PM
I have watched Griff start on a wing and as soon as the ball is bounced he runs straight across to the other wing on the defensive side of the bounce so if the ball comes out the back he picks it up, has a dash and picks out a forward.
Only prob with that is he is heading across the ground and not forward, making it a difficult kick unless he can straighten up.

But my opinion of him is..... I saw players like Templeton, Hawkins, Grant play their first game and you just knew they were deadset champs, Griff fell in that type of category the minute i saw him, more than Cooney.

Griffs only downfall is because of rule changes if you touch a bloke with the ball its now called a free, Griff is a natural take on the opposition player, he should have been playing in the 80s to take full advantage of his ability in that way.

LostDoggy
04-01-2009, 03:04 PM
For a player with a such great kick (only on one foot granted), he doesnt hit as many targets as you would like. Needs to take first option more often. And use the run, carry and take tackles on as a suprise move. Has become a little predictable. I think he needs to do the basic's more and try the brilliant less, which will make him a better player.(run 5mtres and thump it 55 down someones throat is better then running 25mtres around players and shanking it under pressure)

Could be a very good player and i think we need him in the middle were speed and power is lacking. Massive year ahead for GRiff.

Bumper Bulldogs
04-01-2009, 03:48 PM
IMO I would love him of the wing with burst in the Midfield, with the likes of Boyd and Cross doing the Grunt work they could feed him off the wing which would be damaging to all.
I think he needs to work on fitness so he can run all day. not to concerned about the one foot Jerry as he has cut a lot of teams up with the one and he will always split a pack to get better positioning.

The Underdog
04-01-2009, 06:39 PM
For a player with a such great kick (only on one foot granted), he doesnt hit as many targets as you would like. Needs to take first option more often. And use the run, carry and take tackles on as a suprise move. Has become a little predictable. I think he needs to do the basic's more and try the brilliant less, which will make him a better player.(run 5mtres and thump it 55 down someones throat is better then running 25mtres around players and shanking it under pressure)

Could be a very good player and i think we need him in the middle were speed and power is lacking. Massive year ahead for GRiff.

I agree with what you have to say. It got to the stage last year where it was like he couldn't take his kick unless he'd baulked a bloke. It got a little out of hand and guys came to expect it when he got possession. He can be very damaging when he runs and bounces but I agree he could be equally as damaging moving it on quickly being as good a user as he is.

gohardorgohome
05-01-2009, 02:23 AM
I did not know that wing was a position these days.

bornadog
05-01-2009, 08:44 AM

Good assessment Jerry, agree, how many times did he get caught trying to baulk players.

Rocco Jones
05-01-2009, 12:11 PM
I wonder what the Griffen must play in the midfield crew think about the latter part of Luke Hodge's 2008 season.

I think our backline lacks the ability to line break and use the ball well, which is obviously very important in modern day footy. Gilbee is great with his feet but does break lines and can taken out of games by defensive forwards. Griffen has a strong ability to break lines and use the ball well (despite showing otherwise at times). I definitely think we should look at playing Griffen down back at times or even as our default with the option of playing him in the midfield if he is being bogged down by a defensive forward.

The Underdog
05-01-2009, 01:29 PM
I wonder what the Griffen must play in the midfield crew think about the latter part of Luke Hodge's 2008 season.

I think our backline lacks the ability to line break and use the ball well, which is obviously very important in modern day footy. Gilbee is great with his feet but does break lines and can taken out of games by defensive forwards. Griffen has a strong ability to break lines and use the ball well (despite showing otherwise at times). I definitely think we should look at playing Griffen down back at times or even as our default with the option of playing him in the midfield if he is being bogged down by a defensive forward.

I don't disagree Rocco, but think we lack pace and the ability to run and hurt the opposition from the middle which not many other's on the list can currently provide. I'd love to have 6 of him but think he can be more important for us from the middle that from the back half.

ledge
05-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Interesting post Rocco, would give him more space running off half back because obviously if he has it the oppoistion has failed to deliver properly and he has that extra yard to get away.
But in saying that im interested to see if Griff is a go getter at half back or more a receiver (and you cant be a receiver in that position) being a half back he must know how to tag.
Would be an interesting experiment to try out in NAB cup.