PDA

View Full Version : Tim Callan

Swoop
02-01-2009, 01:02 PM
After a disappointing end to the 2007 season that promised so much the Western Bulldogs highlighted 3 key areas in order to improve on the playing field. As a club they targeted;

A small defensive backman, someone who could play a purely defensive role on the elusive small forwards.

In this situation the club was looking for a strong-bodied player who was able to play a defensive shut down role mainly on the small forwards in order to free the likes of Gilbee and to a lesser extent Morris. The recruitment of Tim Callan didn’t make the headlines however it was a smart calculated decision based on the clubs needs at the time. Callan played for the best team in the competition and more specifically was a fringe player in the best defence in the competition. There is certainly no shame in not being able to get a regular game behind the likes of Scarlett, Egan, Hunt, Harley, Milburn, Mackie & Enright many of whom went onto become All Australian. Sydney successfully used this method to recruit Craig Bolton in the Brisbane dynasty, as often a fringe player for the best side is a better option than a starting player from a lesser side. The positive from this situation was that Callan was entering his prime, he was playing good consistent football at the level below and would have probably earned a game in any other side.

What makes Callan so valuable to the Bulldogs is that he is a team player; he understands his limitations and plays accordingly. Majority of times he is asked to perform a negating role and he doesn’t try to do anything beyond exactly that as he understands his purpose within the side. In the past as a team we have struggled to contain small elusive forwards, Callan not only takes this role but allows Gilbee to play higher on the field against opponents who are not as damaging. Surprisingly to some Dale Morris was also a benefactor of Callans arrival, previously Morris was the only player who offered a genuine negating role and many times it meant headaches when trying to decide which match up Morris should take.

Again opinions vary on Callan in 2009, some say he is a certain starter while many believe he is a fringe player at best. Realistically he is competing for a spot of defensive back pocket where his only real competition is Dylan Addison and it could be argued that while Addison has fantastic defensive skills, he may struggle on the last line of defence against the super quick agile forwards of the AFL. Callans last two games in 2008 against Sydney & Geelong in tough finals conditions saw him excel and lift to a level that many never knew he had. His importance in the side was most highlighted throughout the season when he was out injured and we struggled to find an adequate replacement for him. At times Eade used the out of form Akermanis in this role and it highlights more than anything the lack of options we have in this area as Addison was also out injured at the time.

From a negative point of view at times Callan can be a ‘dumb’ footballer. While his courage and toughness are his strengths they can also be his downfall, he needs to be able to pick his moments and know when to hold back. Many times throughout the season his opponent was able to lead him to a contest only to stay down or sit back while he committed at times when not necessary. It allowed cheap possessions for his opponents and could have been easily avoided had he assessed the situation better. Another criticism is that he needs to keep his feet in a contest more often, too many times he can go to ground and once he hits the ground he is virtually out of the contest especially considering he is playing on some of the quickest & deadliest players in the AFL. Finally, he can be caught out by quality players further up the field, against the Swans at the SCG he was given the job of Adam Goodes on a wing and it was obvious from the very first contest that he just wasn’t up to it, there is no doubt his niche is defending the small forwards.

All in all considering what we gave up and his contribution to the side it’s fair to say the trade was a success. What are your thoughts? How will he fair in 2009?

westdog54
02-01-2009, 01:06 PM
My first view of Tim Callan in the flesh was in round 3 against StKilda. His very first involvement in the play involved running with the flight of the ball and crashing into a fast-leading Nick Riewoldt. It was the first of many selfless and courageous acts that night. He impressed me greatly and nothing I've seen this season was lowered that.

Twodogs
02-01-2009, 01:20 PM
I can see Tim Callan becoming one of my favorites. The guy knows no fear.

I think it's imperitive for teams that want to taste the ultimate success to have a couple of lunatic hard ****s running around who will do 'what it takes'. Tim Callan and Dylan Addison are those men.

lemmon
02-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Was very impressed with his courage and is was quite quick. One of the only things going against him is his versatility as hes probably only confined to playing in the one spot.

GVGjr
02-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Another great piece of analysis Swoop.

I think Callan's first game was against the Dees when he was pitted against Aaron Davey. I thought he would get toweled up in the slippery conditions but he more than met the challenge even if we did thrash them that day.

I had my doubts for most of the season but he eventually won me over.

He can play in a few positions but versatility might not be his strong point. Injury free he could help settle down our back six. My only concern is that guys like Callan and Addison demanding games will force us to use Morris and Hargrave on taller opponents even though they play their best football against the smaller guys.

All in all considering what we gave up and his contribution to the side it’s fair to say the trade was a success. What are your thoughts? How will he fair in 2009?

We got a bargain albeit one that probably won't play a full season because of injuries. He will be a solid contributor for us in 2009

Twodogs
02-01-2009, 01:35 PM
I think Callan's first game was against the Dees when he was pitted against Aaron Davey.

I have heard that Davey 'took himself off' that day rather than continue with the work over that Callan gave him.

The Coon Dog
02-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Rocket loves him as he's prepared to do whatever it takes to become a league footballer.

I too had doubts about him, but later in the season he won me over too.

Another great analysis Swoop, you missed nothing & nailed everything.

Addison doesn't have the small turning circle to play on the super quick, elusive, agile, will-o-the-wisp indigenous small forwards. Tim does & most teams now have one, so he'll have a role most weeks.

Certainly right with your Aker observation. I was a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I thought as he gained more confidence he picked the right option more often & his biggest weakness; his kicking also seemed to improve.

I think the way he ended 2008 will stand him in in good stead for 2009 as he'll be approaching it knowing he's a) got the support of his coach, b) got the respect of his new team mates & c) knowing he can cut it at AFL level.

Thanks Swoop, once again loved reading your post.

Bulldog Revolution
02-01-2009, 02:19 PM
I first saw him in the flesh consecutive Fridays v Essendon in the NAB cup, and then Carlton in the NAB challenger. After the Carlton game I was almost convinced he would never play a game for us and had been a wasted selection.

Maybe after having played 15 games in 4 years he just tried too hard early on, as nothing he did seemed to work. He didn't adjust well to the pace early, and he wasn't using the ball well.

However I've perhaps never been so wrong and what emerged was one of the most fearless, courageous defenders I've ever seen. A disciplined team player who is very tough one on one, and seemed to be a good addition to the fabric of the team - a good guy, desperate, professional, mature.

Is there a touch of Micky McKenna in Callan? Hard, straight lines. I was probably too young too fully appreciate Micky but when I've watched some old tapes I really like the way he went about it.

LostDoggy
02-01-2009, 04:09 PM
From a negative point of view at times Callan can be a ‘dumb’ footballer. While his courage and toughness are his strengths they can also be his downfall, he needs to be able to pick his moments and know when to hold back. Many times throughout the season his opponent was able to lead him to a contest only to stay down or sit back while he committed at times when not necessary. It allowed cheap possessions for his opponents and could have been easily avoided had he assessed the situation better. Another criticism is that he needs to keep his feet in a contest more often, too many times he can go to ground and once he hits the ground he is virtually out of the contest especially considering he is playing on some of the quickest & deadliest players in the AFL. Finally, he can be caught out by quality players further up the field, against the Swans at the SCG he was given the job of Adam Goodes on a wing and it was obvious from the very first contest that he just wasn’t up to it, there is no doubt his niche is defending the small forwards.

This is what concerns me about Callans ability to become a better footballer and make the correct decisions at the right time.

Nothing annoys me more than to see a footballer lose his feet in a contest and just emphasises that he still needs to become a brighter/smarter player.

Another nice report Swoop. Keep up the good work.

LostDoggy
02-01-2009, 04:33 PM
For us to improve in 09 only one of Addison and Callan can be in the side. Time to blood some kids and get speed and skill in the back half.

azabob
02-01-2009, 04:37 PM
For us to improve in 09 only one of Addison and Callan can be in the side. Time to blood some kids and get speed and skill in the back half.

Disagree Jerry, we need the hard edge that both of them bring. I think they are both able to fit in the 22. Hardness is still something we need to improve on.

The Underdog
02-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Great work Swoop. Like most I was fairly underwhelmed by the decision to pick up Callan and in the pre-season, particularly the Essendon game, I was extremely worried about his ability to judge the ball in the air. However he proved to be a fairly vital component to our backline in a role that perhaps only Dale Morris can fill. He proved to be a lot quicker than I thought and as tough and courageous as you could ask for. I think he's a certain starter in the 18 next year if he holds the form he had towards the end of the year.
Admittedly there are concerns over his kicking and decision making but I think the upside outweighs these problems. I still think I'd prefer him to have the ball in the opposition goal square, late in the last quarter in a tight game than Lakey

The Underdog
02-01-2009, 04:43 PM

Callan has speed, Addison is still essentially a kid, neither are particularly skillful but have proved their value to the team in certain roles.

Would it change your view if Addison moved up the ground and played more of a stopping role in the middle and didn't spend so much time in the back half?
Also who would you suggest "blooding" that has these qualities?

Go_Dogs
03-01-2009, 12:37 AM
I think he was a fantastic pick up. Early on his run and disposal was a bit down, but once he found his feet he really proved that his skills and ability to run the lines were pretty good - as well as being able to play the lock down role.

I actually think his decision making in regards of when to go, when to be third man up, wasn't too bad. If we had another tall Lake could help provide more back up, but in the interim Callan has proved to be fairly good in this area, at least imo. (Admittedly the majority of games I have seen him in have been on TV - where you don't always get the best broader perspective of every contest).

GVGjr
03-01-2009, 01:07 AM
I first saw him in the flesh consecutive Fridays v Essendon in the NAB cup, and then Carlton in the NAB challenger. After the Carlton game I was almost convinced he would never play a game for us and had been a wasted selection.

His lack of athleticism was a real concern in that game against the Bombers and I still think he would struggle against a forward with a decent leap.

BulldogBelle
03-01-2009, 01:15 AM
Swoop what an excellent read and thank you, I totally enjoyed reading it. :)

Callan is one of my favourites he is not afraid to put his body on the line. I hope he has an excellent season this year.

Dogs 24/7
03-01-2009, 09:51 AM

Really ? Instead of just making blanket statements how about providing some reasoning behind it ?
Callan's skills are generally OK and Addison will only improve. Which skillful "kids" do you want in the back half ?
I regard Callan and Addison as youngsters.

westdog54
03-01-2009, 10:07 AM

What a surprise. Empty Rhetoric from the man who knows nothing else.

Mantis
03-01-2009, 11:25 AM
His lack of athleticism was a real concern in that game against the Bombers and I still think he would struggle against a forward with a decent leap.

There aren't too many small forwards with a big leap though.

Who would you think would worry him?

GVGjr
03-01-2009, 02:20 PM
There aren't too many small forwards with a big leap though.

Who would you think would worry him?

A guy like Sylvia probably would but really the point is that we won't always be able to find a match-up that suits him.
Athleticism isn't a strong point for him and other teams might eventually sort that out. Opposition sides know that if Gilbee picks up a taller player they will run him back a lot closer to goals to exploit him and if Callan establishes himself in the back half he will be tested a lot more as well.

Mantis
03-01-2009, 03:08 PM
A guy like Sylvia probably would but really the point is that we won't always be able to find a match-up that suits him.
Athleticism isn't a strong point for him and other teams might eventually sort that out. Opposition sides know that if Gilbee picks up a taller player they will run him back a lot closer to goals to exploit him and if Callan establishes himself in the back half he will be tested a lot more as well.

When we play against Melbourne I would expect Tim to pick up a more suited player like Davey, Maric or Wonaeamirri.

We have other more suited defender's such as Hargrave & Morris to pick up player's like Sylvia.

strebla
03-01-2009, 05:08 PM
I too feel the only time Callan won't make the side is when he has no-one to play on but most teams now have that smaller scouting type player. As for Addison there is definately still a role for him further up the ground and occasionally in the midfield.I look forward to more of these posts Swoop keep them comming.

LostDoggy
03-01-2009, 07:08 PM
You cant have Addison,LAke, Callan and Morris all in the back line. Not one of them could hit the side of a barn from 25 yards.

GVGjr- how far is Stack away from being able to play back pocket or HBF?

mjp
03-01-2009, 07:27 PM
You cant have Addison,LAke, Callan and Morris all in the back line. Not one of them could hit the side of a barn from 25 yards.

I actually agree with your point - Callan, Addison and Morris in one backline is a recipe for disaster - but disagree that Addison and Callan are bad kicks...they can hit targets OK, but both make really poor decisions under pressure which leaks goals.

Addison might improve in this regard - he is only a 3rd year player - I worry about Callan though as I know that Geelong really emphasise decision making in their program...and I have no doubt it was the main thing holding him out of the side in 2007. To me, both of these players are terrific guys to have in reserve as they will never let you down due to lack of effort, but if they are playing key roles week-in, week-out...most likely you will be in the bottom half of the ladder.

A bad kick to the right spot is much better than a good kick to the wrong one!

GVGjr
04-01-2009, 10:44 AM

GVGjr- how far is Stack away from being able to play back pocket or HBF?

Jerry you are way too critical about the skills of the guys you have mentioned.

Regarding Stack, I like the idea of him being a half back flanker and the challenges for him are to improve his fitness to the point where he can play close to a full game and to prove that he can play 4 quarters of consistent football. At the moment he has a tendency to play a good quarter or two and be quiet for the balance although in fairness, lot of young footballers go through that experience.

He's got a nice size about him now and has a great leap so once he can improve his fitness the opportunities will open up for him.
I think he sees himself more as a forward but will obviously that whatever opportunity he can get.

Bumper Bulldogs
04-01-2009, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=jerry;66871]You cant have Addison,LAke, Callan and Morris all in the back line. Not one of them could hit the side of a barn from 25 yards.

Jerry I disagree with your thoughts here, These 4 would not give a goal away between them what I feel is more important is the 2 spots left, If they are for Williams, Shaggy or Gilbee, suddenly we have a hard running tight skillful back-line that would match up with most sides.

What it does is give the coaching staff options something that has been an issue for a long time. even last year Aker playing back their, he was never going to hurt a side playing in the back pocket like playing forward pocket.

Ozza
05-01-2009, 11:01 AM

I can't understand the obsession with 'blooding youth'. We are actually in a period where we could potentially make a grand final - if anything, we should be sticking with our best 22 players to try and get there - and let the 'rebuilding' happen sometime down the track.

Addison and Callan are both in our best 22 - and Addison is likely to be up in the midfield more this year.

mjp
06-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Addison and Callan are both in our best 22 - and Addison is likely to be up in the midfield more this year.

Are you sure about that?

Ozza
06-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Yes. I am sure that is my opinion.

soupman
06-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Are you sure about that?

If this is regarding the Addison moving into the midfield, I think there is a realistic chance of it happening. I think Rocket sees our back 6 as something like this:

Morris, Lake, Callan
Hargrave, Williams, Gilbee

With Everitt or Addison rotating through.

I think Addison will spend most of his time in the midfield, even though there aren't that many spots available, simpky because Callan is a better lock down defender and Addison is already regularly moved into the middle and his hardness is something we don't really have in there as of yet. (Thats not to say blokes like Cross and Boyd aren't tough footballers, its more so that they don't have the aggression that Addison has. I wouldn't mind seeing Addision roughing up a Kerr at a centre bounce every now and then).

bornadog
06-01-2009, 01:59 PM
If this is regarding the Addison moving into the midfield, I think there is a realistic chance of it happening. I think Rocket sees our back 6 as something like this:

Morris, Lake, Callan
Hargrave, Williams, Gilbee

With Everitt or Addison rotating through.

I think Addison will spend most of his time in the midfield, even though there aren't that many spots available, simpky because Callan is a better lock down defender and Addison is already regularly moved into the middle and his hardness is something we don't really have in there as of yet. (Thats not to say blokes like Cross and Boyd aren't tough footballers, its more so that they don't have the aggression that Addison has. I wouldn't mind seeing Addision roughing up a Kerr at a centre bounce every now and then).

Rocket has stated that he would try Addison in the midfield. His hardness in the centre would be just what the doctor ordered.

ledge
06-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Addison and Callan would be great in the centre if they could read the ball off the ruck, but they arent that sort of player, they are more reactive than proactive and are led to the ball by their opponent, then they put the pressure on, you cant do that in the centre the ball is gone in a split second.
I am in no way picking on these guys i do love the hardness and desparation they bring.

soupman
07-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Addison and Callan would be great in the centre if they could read the ball off the ruck, but they arent that sort of player, they are more reactive than proactive and are led to the ball by their opponent, then they put the pressure on, you cant do that in the centre the ball is gone in a split second.
I am in no way picking on these guys i do love the hardness and desparation they bring.

I don't think Addison would be the target in the middle though. He'd be the bloke standing infront of the opositions primary target to try and make life hard for them, or otherwise running in off the wing.

Callan I don't see as a midfielder, but his finals performances showed that he could push up into a half-back role if required, similiar to Gilbee's role except obviously of a lower standard.

Happy Days
07-01-2009, 12:36 AM
What about trying him (Addison) as a run-with player?

mjp
07-01-2009, 12:42 AM
If we are winning games, I dont see Callan and Addison both playing....

The back 6 will include Morris, Lake and Gilbee - they are pretty much the corner-stones. You can add Hargrave to that mix - he showed in 2008 that everyone needs to forget he is 190cm tall - he is simply a gun defender against opposition smalls. That leaves two spots.

Everitt *should* take one - he has elite kicking skills and can do things the others can't. And then we need 'someone' to play at CHB. I know that Williams is the popular pick, but I have no faith in his ability to stay on the park, so really have no idea what will happen here...I guess we will again end up with Morris fighting out of his weight division, Everitt playing 3rd tall and either Callan or Addison filling in. To me, this is not ideal - and if Everitt and Gilbee are tied down in any way I would send Griffen to half-back just to try and get some run and penetration (and kicking skills) back there.

I guess Addison then needs to find his way in a mid-field including Cooney, Cross, Boyd, Gia, Eagleton, Higgins etc. There may be a spot there, but he is going to have to make the most of his chances.

Ozza
07-01-2009, 10:54 AM
With the way players are rotated in the modern game - I don't think we have to be worried about where exactly players will line up - as it is a week to week proposition and will change during games.

But Callan will get the quick small forwards most of the time - blokes like Rioli, Davey, Stokes, Alwyn Davey, Betts etc. And I see Addison as getting plenty of run with roles in the middle - as well as spending time on a wing and at half back.

The toughness of both these two will see them both play most - if not - all weeks this year in my opinion. I thought we missed Addison's hardness in the finals at times.

azabob
07-01-2009, 05:22 PM
If we are winning games, I dont see Callan and Addison both playing....
The back 6 will include Morris, Lake and Gilbee - they are pretty much the corner-stones. You can add Hargrave to that mix - he showed in 2008 that everyone needs to forget he is 190cm tall - he is simply a gun defender against opposition smalls. That leaves two spots.

Everitt *should* take one - he has elite kicking skills and can do things the others can't. And then we need 'someone' to play at CHB. I know that Williams is the popular pick, but I have no faith in his ability to stay on the park, so really have no idea what will happen here...I guess we will again end up with Morris fighting out of his weight division, Everitt playing 3rd tall and either Callan or Addison filling in. To me, this is not ideal - and if Everitt and Gilbee are tied down in any way I would send Griffen to half-back just to try and get some run and penetration (and kicking skills) back there.

I guess Addison then needs to find his way in a mid-field including Cooney, Cross, Boyd, Gia, Eagleton, Higgins etc. There may be a spot there, but he is going to have to make the most of his chances.

Both of them were playing last year when we were winning. At least they are going to give 100% each contest as opposed to Everitt who appears to have the attitude of his brother I'm afraid to say. Hopefully I am wrong but I cant help think that both Grant and Everitt will frustrate all supporters no end with their lagadasical attitude.

mjp
08-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Both of them were playing last year when we were winning.

No - they weren't. They hardly played together at all. First Callan was injured and Addison was in, then the reverse was true...They played together a bit, but from my recollection it coincided with some of our mid-late season struggles.

At least they are going to give 100% each contest as opposed to Everitt who appears to have the attitude of his brother I'm afraid to say. Hopefully I am wrong but I cant help think that both Grant and Everitt will frustrate all supporters no end with their lagadasical attitude.
As noted, they do try hard. But that doesn't give them a free pass to turn the ball over. Please don't judge footballers attitude by their attitude when you are only looking at them from 150m away - Robert Murphy is the epitome of lackadaisical at times but based on your username you dont have any issues with him...Everitt and Grant (yet to even debut) are very young (as is Addison I acknowledge) so lets just assume for a second they are trying as hard as they can.

mjp
08-01-2009, 10:15 AM
With the way players are rotated in the modern game - I don't think we have to be worried about where exactly players will line up - as it is a week to week proposition and will change during games.

But Callan will get the quick small forwards most of the time - blokes like Rioli, Davey, Stokes, Alwyn Davey, Betts etc. And I see Addison as getting plenty of run with roles in the middle - as well as spending time on a wing and at half back.

The toughness of both these two will see them both play most - if not - all weeks this year in my opinion. I thought we missed Addison's hardness in the finals at times.

3 responses:
There are about 6 spots in Rockets team:

1 x Tall forward (stay at home)
1 x small forward (not past the wing)
1 x ruckman
6 x defenders (match-up based).
9 x midfielders

The bench is usually 2 mids, 1 defender, 1 tall. I will say though that several of the 'defenders' also go through the midfield at times.

Interesting point you raise though - in the finals last year, we only played 5 defenders in the 22 and simply rotated an extra mid through that spot...will be interesting to see if that continues.

No - Callan will not take the opposition smalls. Hargrave will - he has proved most capable in this area.

Maybe we missed Addison's hardness in the finals - my perspective was we lacked some decent finishers as we certainly generated enough forward entries to defeat Geelong (ignore the Hawthorn game, one player would not have helped that night)...

LostDoggy
08-01-2009, 12:46 PM
3 responses:

Interesting point you raise though - in the finals last year, we only played 5 defenders in the 22 and simply rotated an extra mid through that spot...will be interesting to see if that continues.

We were given the reach around trying this in the pressure of finals footy. I would suggest that we would not attempt such a move unless we were decimated by injuries to the backline.

We only played 5 or maybe 6 defenders that night, this meant that we had to play Aker down back and subsequently Cross behind the square flaoting in fornt of the Hawks defence. This proved to be diabolical and I would hope that 6 fit defenders will occupy the 6 spots available in defence.

azabob
08-01-2009, 01:22 PM
No - they weren't. They hardly played together at all. First Callan was injured and Addison was in, then the reverse was true...They played together a bit, but from my recollection it coincided with some of our mid-late season struggles.

I think the played early on together before Callan got injured and then when Addison got injured Callan got back in. So yeah again it is a wait and see if both are in our best 22. but chances are with injuries we will never know.
What would be good is to know Eade's "ideal" 22.

As noted, they do try hard. But that doesn't give them a free pass to turn the ball over. Please don't judge footballers attitude by their attitude when you are only looking at them from 150m away - Robert Murphy is the epitome of lackadaisical at times but based on your username you dont have any issues with him...Everitt and Grant (yet to even debut) are very young (as is Addison I acknowledge) so lets just assume for a second they are trying as hard as they can.

I hope I am wrong, but why was Everitt so poor in 2008? As I said I hope I am wrong about both players as we need them both to stand up.

The Underdog
09-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I hope I am wrong, but why was Everitt so poor in 2008? As I said I hope I am wrong about both players as we need them both to stand up.

Why was Everitt so poor in 2008?
How about an interrupted pre-season leading to a late start and lack of fitness & a loss of confidence resulting from this. He had a really positive first season and some problems in his second mostly stemming from injuries. Please don't denigrate him or Grant (who had OP last year, FFS) before they've had a real opportunity to establish themselves. They are kids whose development won't be dictated by supporters needs for a quick fix to a long established problem.

azabob
09-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Why was Everitt so poor in 2008?
How about an interrupted pre-season leading to a late start and lack of fitness & a loss of confidence resulting from this. He had a really positive first season and some problems in his second mostly stemming from injuries. Please don't denigrate him or Grant (who had OP last year, FFS) before they've had a real opportunity to establish themselves. They are kids whose development won't be dictated by supporters needs for a quick fix to a long established problem.

Agree he had a fantastic first season, but Eade and he have both said he did not come back for pre season in 2008 with the right attitude. This forum is about expressing ones opinion about topics so please don't tell me what I can or cannot say, or are we only allowed to "denigrate" players such as Eagleton and Wight? People on here have openly stated that Malcom Lynch's attitude was shocking in 2008 and I see no difference in what was said about him and what I said about Everitt.

The Underdog
09-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Agree he had a fantastic first season, but Eade and he have both said he did not come back for pre season in 2008 with the right attitude. This forum is about expressing ones opinion about topics so please don't tell me what I can or cannot say, or are we only allowed to "denigrate" players such as Eagleton and Wight? People on here have openly stated that Malcom Lynch's attitude was shocking in 2008 and I see no difference in what was said about him and what I said about Everitt.

Sorry I didn't mean to tell you what you can or can't say at all. I was more just saying that perhaps we shouldn't be too judgemental about young guys who will ebb and flow somewhat in their development. I do think we have a better opportunity to evaluate players such as Eagleton and Wight as they have had the chance to prove themselves or otherwise and we know their strengths and weaknesses.
Grant played less than half a season at VFL level before succumbing to OP and while he apparently took a little while to get used to the professionalism of the AFL environment all reports are that he's fitting in and is still highly rated. While Everitt may have had not the right attitude coming into season 2 he also had a fairly serious leg injury over the pre-season which put him behind the 8 ball somewhat. All indications are that he has the ability to play AFL football at a high level from what we've seen and how the club feels.
It's been well documented that Lynch came back from Christmas break last year overweight and I think his attitude was more of an issue in his performance last year than with the other two, although again it would appear he's learnt from that and the club saw enough in him to keep him on the list. Perhaps that's just how I see it but I'm not going to be getting overly concerned or judgemental about players who have had minimal or no real opportunity to prove themselves.

Anyway, how about that Tim Callan, hey?

azabob
09-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to tell you what you can or can't say at all. I was more just saying that perhaps we shouldn't be too judgemental about young guys who will ebb and flow somewhat in their development. I do think we have a better opportunity to evaluate players such as Eagleton and Wight as they have had the chance to prove themselves or otherwise and we know their strengths and weaknesses.
Grant played less than half a season at VFL level before succumbing to OP and while he apparently took a little while to get used to the professionalism of the AFL environment all reports are that he's fitting in and is still highly rated. While Everitt may have had not the right attitude coming into season 2 he also had a fairly serious leg injury over the pre-season which put him behind the 8 ball somewhat. All indications are that he has the ability to play AFL football at a high level from what we've seen and how the club feels.
It's been well documented that Lynch came back from Christmas break last year overweight and I think his attitude was more of an issue in his performance last year than with the other two, although again it would appear he's learnt from that and the club saw enough in him to keep him on the list. Perhaps that's just how I see it but I'm not going to be getting overly concerned or judgemental about players who have had minimal or no real opportunity to prove themselves.

Anyway, how about that Tim Callan, hey?

Whats Tim Callan got to do with this? lol. Only joking; it is quite funny how often threads get taken off track.
But I can't wait for Everitt & Grant to get a few more pre seasons under them and see what they can produce in the coming years.

lemmon
09-01-2009, 04:00 PM
This is a far bit off topic but with guys like Grant and Everitt one of their main assets is their pace, as they put on weight are they any chance of losing some of their speed?

LostDoggy
09-01-2009, 06:38 PM
This is a far bit off topic but with guys like Grant and Everitt one of their main assets is their pace, as they put on weight are they any chance of losing some of their speed?

The name Ben Johnson and 88 Olympics mean anything to you?
I would think a good weights program would help sprinting.

azabob
09-01-2009, 07:56 PM

Ah he was a drug cheat. Something the AFL dont look to kindly upon....

westdog54
10-01-2009, 02:32 PM

Wow. I never thought you'd become any more ridiculous, but bada-bing bada-boom, there it is, right there on the page.

You should frame that one.

mighty_west
10-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Callan has been super since crossing over from Geelong, just proves that just because a player can't get a game elsewhere, can easily slot into another side, and another side near the top of the ladder as well, its all about balance and needs for the team, i am hoping Picken can do similar, he has the righta never say die attitude, just like Callan.

Callan & Addison can EASILY both be best 22 players, either both on a back flank [the Scott brothers style], or perhaps Addsion pushing into the midfield.

Just on Stack, Callan is more your tagging defender, where's Stack runs off the lines, not too sure if he is that great as defending a player as such, not from what i have seen of him at Willy anyway, Stack also needs to be more consistant.

LostDoggy
10-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Wow. I never thought you'd become any more ridiculous, but bada-bing bada-boom, there it is, right there on the page.

You should frame that one.

The point was power, muscle and strength improve your speed. You understand it now Westdog?

Sockeye Salmon
10-01-2009, 08:05 PM
No - Callan will not take the opposition smalls.

Betcha he does.

westdog54
11-01-2009, 12:56 PM
The point was power, muscle and strength improve your speed. You understand it now Westdog?

No, I don't understand how a drug cheat is a model of power, strength and speed.

mighty_west
11-01-2009, 01:11 PM

And how much of that speed was kept with the help of a few roids?

mjp
11-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Betcha he does.

Why would he SS? Shaggy was better in that role last year, so why use Callan?

As for using Addison and Callan 'Scott brother style' off the half-back flanks, if that backline also includes Lake and Morris then we are in trouble.

mighty_west
11-01-2009, 05:50 PM

As for using Addison and Callan 'Scott brother style' off the half-back flanks, if that backline also includes Lake and Morris then we are in trouble.

You don't rate Lake & Morris? We also have Williams as another tall down back.

Sockeye Salmon
11-01-2009, 06:12 PM

It will happen because Rocket loves Callan.

Addison will need to make a go of being a run-with player at this stage because there is no room for him to do anything other than cameos in the backline.

Callan Lake Morris
Gilbee Williams Hargrave

Everitt next cab off the rank, then Addison.

We still can't replace Lake at all and we would be hard pressed to find someone to play Gilbee's role either.

mjp
11-01-2009, 07:42 PM
You don't rate Lake & Morris? We also have Williams as another tall down back.

I love Lake and Morris. And I love the attack on the ball/body that Callan and Addison bring. But they don't have much class (finishing wise) and in our structure (in every structure really) that first kick out of defence is crucial...more so in our case because we simply cannot afford to mess around with the ball in the backline (refer usual argument about lack of height up forward).

As for Williams, I still have no faith he will be an every week player. Maybe sometime in 2010 after he has strung 20-30 games together I will start to count on him.

mjp
11-01-2009, 07:44 PM
It will happen because Rocket loves Callan.

Addison will need to make a go of being a run-with player at this stage because there is no room for him to do anything other than cameos in the backline.

OK. Agree with your comments - particularly the 'we had better not lose Harris or Gilbee for a long time' ones - but given Shaggy's performances vs opposition smalls I find it surprising.

Twodogs
12-01-2009, 01:19 PM
I love Lake and Morris. And I love the attack on the ball/body that Callan and Addison bring. But they don't have much class (finishing wise) and in our structure (in every structure really) that first kick out of defence is crucial...more so in our case because we simply cannot afford to mess around with the ball in the backline (refer usual argument about lack of height up forward).

As for Williams, I still have no faith he will be an every week player. Maybe sometime in 2010 after he has strung 20-30 games together I will start to count on him.

I reckon the whole "Lake is a poor user of the ball' is a bit of a furphy. I hardly ever see him turn it over unless Dane Swan is around.

Seriously he might take a bit of time to get the ball from hand to foot but his kicks nearly always hit the target he intends them to.

soupman
12-01-2009, 01:19 PM
OK. Agree with your comments - particularly the 'we had better not lose Harris or Gilbee for a long time' ones - but given Shaggy's performances vs opposition smalls I find it surprising.

But I think that most teams have enough options for us to need Callan as well, and Callan is also able to provide run out of the backline as shown by his finals performances. Whether he can do this consistently remains to be seen though.

Looking at other sides forward set-ups:

Collingwood:
Cloke: Williams
Didak: Morris
Medhurst: Hargrave
Davis: Callan
Rocca: Lake

North Melbourne:
Hale: Lake
Campbell: Hargrave
Thomas: Morris
Harvey: Callan (Callan, Morris and Hargrave are interchangable on their opponents).

Port Adelaide:
Motlop: Morris
Rodan: Callan
Tredrea: Williams
Westhoff: Lake
Ebert: Hargrave

St.Kilda:
Milne: Hargrave
Riewoldt: Morris
Koschitzke: Lake
Montagna: Addison
Schneider: Callan

So Callan has a role to play against most other sides, and also has the ability to free up Hargrave to play a more running role on occasion.

As for Addison I believe he'll spend the majority of his time this year in the midfield.

Desipura
12-01-2009, 02:42 PM
you can add Petrie who has kicked alot of goals against us of recent times. Williams would be the ideal match up I think.

hujsh
14-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Wouldn't you have Williams on Riewoldt Soupa? There'd be another small for Morris to line up on.

soupman
15-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Wouldn't you have Williams on Riewoldt Soupa? There'd be another small for Morris to line up on.

Yeah probably but Morris has been very good on him before.