PDA

View Full Version : Gilbee to the midfield?

LostDoggy
16-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Like a number of people I rate Gilbee's kicking ability highly...very highly. He reads the play so well, he is quick and he isn't out of place playing against vastly taller opponents.
I just however wonder if he wouldn't be better value on a wing kicking the ball straight into the forwards with his deft precision than being played of half back or in a pocket ?

I know spots in our midfield are at a premium given we have a number of quality guys but Gilbee is a bit different to some of the other guys and I think he is worth a shot at being given an extended run in our midfield.

Just as a thought would there be any value in swapping Gilbee with Ray?

alwaysadog
16-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Like a number of people I rate Gilbee's kicking ability highly...very highly. He reads the play so well, he is quick and he isn't out of place playing against vastly taller opponents.
I just however wonder if he wouldn't be better value on a wing kicking the ball straight into the forwards with his deft precision than being played of half back or in a pocket ?

I know spots in our midfield are at a premium given we have a number of quality guys but Gilbee is a bit different to some of the other guys and I think he is worth a shot at being given an extended run in our midfield.

Just as a thought would there be any value in swapping Gilbee with Ray?

Funny you should be thinking about this Billy because the other day I was reflecting on Claytons words about him when he was recruited. I think he talked about him as an eventual midfielder whose strength would be bursting out of the centre and kicking long goals.

Dry Rot
16-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Ray's kicking a problem?

southerncross
16-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Ray's kicking a problem?

?? is there much difference between midfield and defence?

alwaysadog
16-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Ray's kicking a problem?

IMHO it is not of the level of being a problem or a threat to his place in the side but it spoils some of his best efforts. If he could finish better he would be the full package. I expect improvement this year to be obvious and sustained. There were times last year when he kicked goals on the run from close to ffity with little space to move in. He was IMO less accurate closer to goal when kicking around his body which is a puzzle as he can use both feet.

dog town
16-03-2007, 10:14 PM
It would lift alot of peoples rating of Gilbee if he was played through the centre but the fact of the matter is that they way footy is played now Gilbee is of most value to the side coming from behind the ball. It allows him to get alot of easier kicks with time to deliver and I think he just naturally likes coming from behind the ball. We have enough players capable of playing midfield but not one player who can do the sort of damage Gilbee does from defence.

In summary it would do plenty for Gilbee as a player even if he didn't dominate as a midfielder and ended up back in defence but for the team it makes no sense IMO. Having said that he will play midfield at certain times this year as most guys under 188cm will.

Go_Dogs
17-03-2007, 10:34 AM
I think Gilbee is too important for our defence. He sets up so much play and really builds our attacks from the backline, and if players like Griff and McMahon are going to be spending more time in the midfield I feel that Gilbee definitely has to play back there.

He certainly would add some different positives into the middle, but I think between West/Cross/Boyd and Griffen/Cooney/Giansiracusa/McMahon/Akermanis we have enough talent to do damage, and allow Gilbee to really dominate play from the back half.

bornadog
17-03-2007, 02:21 PM
I think Gilbee is too important for our defence. He sets up so much play and really builds our attacks from the backline, .

Spot on, a few games last year Gilbee was played further up the field and I felt he wasn't as effective. His runs down the ground and long precise kicks are something special. Agree we have enough midfielders as is.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-03-2007, 03:59 PM
I agree that Gilbee is too important to the backline.

Really does set it up and is a "mini general" in the backline for the smaller, running players IMO. He somewhat is the egenral of guys like McMahon, Griffen, Morris and arguably Hargrave when he's in a running mode.

I think Gilbee is a natural AA HBF, not a midfielder. That's not a bad thing at all, not every quality player HAS to play midfield. We've got plenty of options in there, especially with Akermanis, Griffen, Higgins & Hahn all coming into it this year.

Gilbee is like the quarterback, sets the plays up with long, pinpoint kicks often to the half forward line which is incredibly damaging and hard for the opposition to read or counter.

Noteably, Gilbee is actually a good defender too. His role in 2006 changed from 2005 and I think he had a better year because he really stepped up his defensive game and it showed. It's made him a much, much better player IMO.

Sockeye Salmon
17-03-2007, 11:51 PM
Why do people want everyone who is half decent in the midfield?

Gilbee is an All-Australian HB. His kicking is the best in the league and the best way to utilise it is to give him the ball at HB.

Don't fix what's not broke. We've got a dozen blokes who can run through midfield, so while Gilbee could, there's no reason for him to. HB is an important position too.

southerncross
17-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Why do people want everyone who is half decent in the midfield?

I suppose it is the allure of his quality kicks hitting leading forward more frequently. I agree about the importance of half back positions and thats why I would have no problems with Griffen staying there as well.