PDA

View Full Version : Can be Gilbee used in a midfield role?

The Bulldogs Bite
10-01-2009, 06:06 PM
After West's retirement, Ray's departure and Eagleton probably further declining, it's fair to say that we're probably in need of some quality midfielders. Cooney, Griffen, Higgins, Boyd & Cross will be solid, and with contributions from Giansiracusa and Akermanis, we'll probably be OK - but really - we're another one or two short.

I thought I'd suggest something a little out of the ordinary and put Gilbee's name out there. Obviously he's probably the best half back in the league, and there's no doubt he'll still play a large chunk of this season in the back half again, but is there a role for him in the midfield too? Part time?

Gilbee with stints in the midfield could really trouble sides with his ability so spot up targets moving forward. Whilst he often already does this, if he played midfield and we looked to give him the ball at every opportunity, he could be incredibly damaging. He's a good kick for goal and there's no doubting his ability to set them up. He really could be that little bit of extra class we need in the midfield and really demand something of opposition midfielders. Not only would they have to pay attention to Cooney/Griff, but they couldn't allow Gilbee to run free.

In the past Gilbee has struggled to get into games when thrusted into the midfield, but in '09 I thought he did pretty well a few times. He's a smart player and positions himself to receive the ball very well. Whilst he's mouth watering down back, he could be a serious weapon - especially for Finals - if given bigger stints in the midfield.

Thoughts?

GVGjr
10-01-2009, 06:37 PM
I really want him to be used up the ground more despite the fact that he he an excellent play maker from the back half. I just think our forwards would benefit greatly from his precision passes into the forward line.

He and Hargrave on the wings would be a very attacking move.

I'm not sure that he is a centre square type player but I'd like to see him given a run there.

Mantis
10-01-2009, 08:59 PM
He and Hargrave on the wings would be a very attacking move.

For me Josh Hill seems a natural winger, he seems to read the play well at both ends and his overhead marking makes him a weapon. Where do you seem him fitting in?

LostDoggy
10-01-2009, 09:46 PM
If Gilbee goes into the midfield and Hargraves is tied up in the back pocket, all of a sudden u have Addison,LAke,Morris and Callan running and delivering from half back. That is not a good thing. We need all the class we can get down back.

I still dont think there is room for Addison and Callan in the same team.

GVGjr
10-01-2009, 10:14 PM
If Gilbee goes into the midfield and Hargraves is tied up in the back pocket, all of a sudden u have Addison,LAke,Morris and Callan running and delivering from half back. That is not a good thing. We need all the class we can get down back.

I still dont think there is room for Addison and Callan in the same team.

Why would Hargrave be tied up in a back pocket? Morris, and Callan could do that.
You keep forgetting that Everitt will add a lot of class to the back half.

I'm not sure why you would keep banging on about needing all the class in the back line either, surely spreading it around is worthwhile consideration. How about starting a thread and nominating how you would structure up the side if we had a full list to chose from?

GVGjr
10-01-2009, 10:15 PM
For me Josh Hill seems a natural winger, he seems to read the play well at both ends and his overhead marking makes him a weapon. Where do you seem him fitting in?

In the short term he is a great option as a winger but it won't surprise me to see him play in a lot of other positions either in the not too distant future.

Mantis
10-01-2009, 10:26 PM
In the short term he is a great option as a winger but it won't surprise me to see him play in a lot of other positions either in the not too distant future.

I'm not so sure on that. I can only see him playing out of a FP (besides a wing) as I am not so sure he could play in any other position.

GVGjr
10-01-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm not so sure on that. I can only see him playing out of a FP (besides a wing) as I am not so sure he could play in any other position.

I think the FF spot is not out of his scope either. With his leap, marking ability and pace he would be a difficult one to contain once he gets a bit more size about him.

Back to Gilbee, do you see him anchored just to defense for the rest of his career?

Mantis
10-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Back to Gilbee, do you see him anchored just to defense for the rest of his career?

I think he is well suited to a role in defence. He is a tad slow and doesn't have a big 'tank' which I suppose aren't great traits if you're to play in a role in the midfield. In saying that he is a pretty under-rated defensive player and we all know how good he is with the ball in his hands coming off half-back.

From what I have seen & heard Gilbs is working pretty hard this pre-season on the track so he may be looking to add some flexibility to his game & I would think the pre-season would be a pretty good time to test out his capabilities further up the ground.

For me he plays in defence.

Mofra
10-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Josh has the best VO2 Max results in the team - he will be developed as a runner for wing/midfield duties to maximise his endurance advantage.

MrMahatma
11-01-2009, 12:52 AM
I think you'd be robbing Peter of $100 to pay Paul $20. Gilbee is a jet on the HBF, but would probably be average at best in the midfield.

We've got a good succession plan with guys like Ward & Reid being groomed for midfield roles in the near future.

bornadog
11-01-2009, 11:30 AM
I think you'd be robbing Peter of $100 to pay Paul $20. Gilbee is a jet on the HBF, but would probably be average at best in the midfield.

We've got a good succession plan with guys like Ward & Reid being groomed for midfield roles in the near future.

I would like to see Gilbee have a go at midfield, he would be a sensation delivering long kicks into the forwrad line. Maybe Ward could spend some time in the backline, he also has a deadly accurate kicking style. This would also help his defensive side.

azabob
11-01-2009, 11:53 AM
Howabout rotating Gilbee and Hargrave in defence and midfield.
Since Johnson is flying this preseason I think we may see Hill and Johnson rotated through the midfield and goal square.

mjp
11-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Since Johnson is flying this preseason I think we may see Hill and Johnson rotated through the midfield and goal square.

I like this idea...Not sure about goal-square as a starting point though - maybe a starting point 30m or so out from goal to enable them space in all directions to lead into...

LostDoggy
11-01-2009, 06:15 PM

Here Here.