PDA

View Full Version : Team of the Century - adjusted

bornadog
13-01-2009, 07:47 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/team-of-the-century.jpg

The bulldogs team of the 20th century was picked as the best players to have ever played for the club up to the end of the century. If you had a choice and could alter that team, and include all players to 2008, what adjustments would you make?

Are there players that deserve to be in the team, such as a Cooney, Darcy, Smith..... should Johnno be elevated off the bench?

Any thoughts?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-01-2009, 08:05 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/team-of-the-century.jpg

The bulldogs team of the 20th century was picked as the best players to have ever played for the club up to the end of the century. If you had a choice and could alter that team, and include all players to 2008, what adjustments would you make?

Are there players that deserve to be in the team, such as a Cooney, Darcy, Smith..... should Johnno be elevated off the bench?

Any thoughts?

Is there is misspelling on the back pocket. Should it5 be C.Sutton?
I think the makeup is about right. Smithy and Darcy would be close.... but who to leave out?

Sockeye Salmon
13-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Is there is misspelling on the back pocket. Should it5 be C.Sutton?
I think the makeup is about right. Smithy and Darcy would be close.... but who to leave out?

They've also mis-spelled Arthur Olliver and Jim Gallagher's names.

You can't really argue with anyone in that team. Johnson probably deserves to come in for either Collins or Beasley.

Darcy not even close. He would be about our 5th best ruckman.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-01-2009, 08:59 PM
They've also mis-spelled Arthur Olliver and Jim Gallagher's names.

You can't really argue with anyone in that team. Johnson probably deserves to come in for either Collins or Beasley.

Darcy not even close. He would be about our 5th best ruckman.

Well then he'd have to be close, we've got 4 ruckmen in the side already. I'd say a toss up between him and Wynd. But I'm not unhappy with the selection as it is.
If I had to be picky I'd maybe go for Scott West as vc instead of Dougie.

bornadog
13-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Bit strange having John Schultz in the back pocket, very old fashioned and wouldn't happe
n these days.

Kelvin Templeton only played one season at CHF, whereas Granty played most of his career there, but I guess they had to pick players and put them somewhere.

I think Johnno should be in the forward pocket and Georgie Bisset rotating off the bench.

Surely Rohan Smith should be in there somewhere, but I don't know enough about some of the old timers like Gallagher, Wally Donald etc.

Sockeye Salmon
13-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Bit strange having John Schultz in the back pocket, very old fashioned and wouldn't happe
n these days.

Kelvin Templeton only played one season at CHF, whereas Granty played most of his career there, but I guess they had to pick players and put them somewhere.

I think Johnno should be in the forward pocket and Georgie Bisset rotating off the bench.

Surely Rohan Smith should be in there somewhere, but I don't know enough about some of the old timers like Gallagher, Wally Donald etc.

If Rohan Smith had got in ahead of Jim Gallagher or especially Wally Donald I reckon my old man would have been heading out Footscray way with the matches and kindling.

ledge
13-01-2009, 11:24 PM
I find it amazing Beazley is there, not saying he wasnt a good full forward.
Was only good if he marked it, no skills whatsoever if it hit the ground.
I might have Templeton at FF and Grant at CHF or visa versa.
Probably put Beazer on the bench.

GVGjr
13-01-2009, 11:38 PM
I find it amazing Beazley is there, not saying he wasnt a good full forward.
Was only good if he marked it, no skills whatsoever if it hit the ground.
I might have Templeton at FF and Grant at CHF or visa versa.
Probably put Beazer on the bench.

Beasley deserves to be there at FF in my opinion although Templeton has strong claims to both key forward spots. Grant at HF is about right.

hujsh
14-01-2009, 12:00 AM

Ahead of Johnson and Grant?

LostDoggy
14-01-2009, 10:23 AM
If Rohan Smith had got in ahead of Jim Gallagher or especially Wally Donald I reckon my old man would have been heading out Footscray way with the matches and kindling.

I could well see him ahead of Jimmy Gallagher who was a poor kick but never in front of Wally Donald.

I can't open the link but for memory John Jillard is also in the side and I would put Smith in front of him as well and that is not to diminish the excellence of either Gallagher or Jillard.

The difficulty with this is the side is picked for positions rather than the best 24. On that basis, Bisett gets in but he would be a long way behind both West and Johnson based on any other measure.

aker39
14-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Well then he'd have to be close, we've got 4 ruckmen in the side already. I'd say a toss up between him and Wynd. But I'm not unhappy with the selection as it is.

I think if you spoke to any bulldog player that played with both Wynd and Darcy (Coon Dog, you'll know who they are), they would all rate Wynd ahead of Darcy.

I was at the function where the team was announced and I still remember being surprised that Steve Wallis was not named in the team. I know you will ask who should he have replaced, but I can't answer that as I didn't see a lot of the players play, but from what I saw of Steve Wallis, he is certainly one of the best to wear a bulldog jumper.

ledge
14-01-2009, 10:40 AM
I think if you spoke to any bulldog player that played with both Wynd and Darcy (Coon Dog, you'll know who they are), they would all rate Wynd ahead of Darcy.

I was at the function where the team was announced and I still remember being surprised that Steve Wallis was not named in the team. I know you will ask who should he have replaced, but I can't answer that as I didn't see a lot of the players play, but from what I saw of Steve Wallis, he is certainly one of the best to wear a bulldog jumper.

Good point Wallis was pretty awesome even though he had a wierd kicking style his body seemed to squirm out of tackles too.
Wynd over Darcy by a country mile, Wynds only downfall was his knees and he couldnt kick, but talking actual ruckman there is no comparison.

craigsahibee
14-01-2009, 12:24 PM
To be honest, at the time the team was selected I thought Johnno was fortunate to have been named on the bench. I think he had played 150 odd games by that stage. Since then however, there is no question that he should be in the starting 18 and maybe Georgie Bissett to the bench.

Can't find a spot for either Bubba and Darcy.

Wally is unfortunate to miss out. I don't know, maybe swap him for Libba. It's like being asked to choose which one of your kids is your favourite!