PDA

View Full Version : Easton Wood - 2009 Outlook

GVGjr
13-01-2009, 11:04 PM
In AFL draft terms the word "smokey" gets bandied around a lot but when Easton Wood's name was called by Scott Clayton on draft day in 2007 a few clubs let out a collective sigh as the Bulldogs had pipped them on a very athletic but in footy terms a very raw player.

Wood didn't get to the Dogs via the normal channels either because for years his main focus had been on playing cricket and spending his time around the athletic tracks more than playing football.

Wood struggled early on in 2008 with a shoulder injury and that's something that will probably continue to plague him from time to time but once he started off in the Williamstown reserves it didn't take him long to start to impress the supporters. A few weeks later he was in the seniors mainly playing off the bench before he started to lift the tempo. He got dropped back to the reserves for a couple of games before again being promoted.

He he is a very powerful player who posses a great leap and whilst he has played mainly around the midfield and defense it's very hard to know exactly what position might best suit him.

Keep an eye out for Wood during the pre-season and with a bit of luck on his side he could very well sneak in for a senior game or two. He is very likely to take a few screamers as well.

This is an article that Jon Ralph wrote about him.

25 November 2007 - Sunday Herald - Sun Jon Ralph

THE Bulldogs simply cannot resist the draft smoky.

The latest in a long line of draft surprises from recruiting manager Scott Clayton was yesterday revealed as former Camperdown cricketer Easton Wood.

Wood is described as a 184cm jumping jack who skipped TAC Cup football to take up a "general excellence" scholarship at Geelong Grammar.
The Dogs used a mid-range pick - No. 43 - to select him, but with his strong body, massive leap and room for improvement, they clearly think he has what it takes to excel in elite competition.

"We've basically had him down a mine shaft for the last few months," Clayton said with a laugh.
Wood's best mate and the Dogs' No. 63 pick Guy O'Keefe also shone for Geelong Grammar this year and must have alerted the club's interest.

Wood, 18, who moved from Camperdown two years ago to take up his sporting and academic scholarship, described his drafting as "a fairytale".

Like the Dogs' previous private-school draftee, Will Minson, Wood has a long list of hobbies, a way with words and an interesting background.
His Australian parents lived in New Zealand a generation ago where they represented that country in athletics.

His father was a triple-jumper in the Edmonton Commonwealth Games in 1978, while only glandular fever prevented his mother entering the 400m.

Wood has jumped 1.90m in the high jump, won a state championship and jumped 13.85m in the triple jump, and has stopped the clock at 51secs in the 400m.
"The reason I didn't do the TAC Cup was I was trying out for the Victorian cricket squad," Wood said.

"I was going well, but got cut in the last round. My back started to go and I struggled with cricket and had to just bat. But I managed my back through the footy season and had a couple of good games.

"I had spoken to Scott Clayton and he said, 'We are interested and are looking at you for the draft'.
"It was great to hear my name called out. It was much earlier than expected. It happened to be my mum's birthday, so the family was around and we tuned into the radio . . . everyone was very pleased."

Clayton said the Dogs couldn't resist the package Wood presented.

"We saw him at school during the course of the year and we just thought we would save him for a rainy day," he said.
"A lot of other clubs entertained him.

"I watched him less than I normally would, simply because we didn't see him until late in the year.
"But I watched him a couple of times.

"It was a wide draft and there were a lot of different chances . . . he was one we were prepared to go with."

The Coon Dog
13-01-2009, 11:52 PM
It was interesting that day at the draft. We took Easton with our 4th selection which was pick #43. Ideally we would have liked to have selected him with our next pick, that being pick #48.

It was a real worry of the recruiters that Collingwood would select him with their first pick #31. Their second pick was #47, just one before our 5th pick.

Because of Collingwood's interest we took him with our 4th selection, knowing that if we waited till our 5th pick he'd be gone.

Funny, the first time I heard his name mentioned was on BF & I thought his name reminded me of a baseball bat.

Dry Rot
14-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Wood struggled early on in 2008 with a shoulder injury and that's something that will probably continue to plague him from time to time....

"I was going well, but got cut in the last round. My back started to go and I struggled with cricket and had to just bat. But I managed my back through the footy season and had a couple of good games.

What's the story with his shoulder and his back?

bornadog
14-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Wood looks like a very powerful unit with a bit of size about him. From what I can remember watching the few games out at Willy, his disposal is pretty good as well, however, not sure whether he has any pace at all. In todays football, pace is key, and with his strength he would be hard to stop.

ledge
14-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Actually Dry Rot funny you mention that, I was talking to Jake Edwards (plays at Carlton) a couple of years back when he was playing Dowling Shield cricket and he said he was giving up cricket because he has a bad back and concentrating on footy more.
I actually thought at the time how does that work, wouldnt footy be just as bad, maybe worse on the back.
Apparently not.

mighty_west
14-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Actually Dry Rot funny you mention that, I was talking to Jake Edwards (plays at Carlton) a couple of years back when he was playing Dowling Shield cricket and he said he was giving up cricket because he has a bad back and concentrating on footy more.
I actually thought at the time how does that work, wouldnt footy be just as bad, maybe worse on the back.
Apparently not.

He must have been a fast bowler, at an early age, it's not hard to get stress fractures from bending & stretching the lower back at a fast pace over & over again when your body is changing [growing], unfortunatly i know this oh too well...never bowled fast again.

It's shouldn't affect his footy.

GVGjr
14-01-2009, 03:08 PM
What's the story with his shoulder and his back?

I think Woods shoulder pops out from time to time and somewhere down the track he will need a reconstruction. Not sure about any problems with his back.

Go_Dogs
14-01-2009, 03:11 PM
I think Woods shoulder pops out from time to time and somewhere down the track he will need a reconstruction. Not sure about any problems with his back.

Similar to Jason Porplyzia. Not a fun problem to have, but probably one that is fairly easily managed.

Axe Man
14-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Wood looks like a very powerful unit with a bit of size about him. From what I can remember watching the few games out at Willy, his disposal is pretty good as well, however, not sure whether he has any pace at all. In todays football, pace is key, and with his strength he would be hard to stop.

If he can run 400m in 51 seconds then he must have a bit of pace about him.

ledge
14-01-2009, 04:04 PM
He must have been a fast bowler, at an early age, it's not hard to get stress fractures from bending & stretching the lower back at a fast pace over & over again when your body is changing [growing], unfortunatly i know this oh too well...never bowled fast again.

It's shouldn't affect his footy.

Yes he was a fast bowler, fact he is an Edwards doesnt help him injury wise with his gene pool, although his cousin at Collingwood seems to have had a good career.

Bulldog Revolution
14-01-2009, 04:35 PM
I thought he'd had the shoulder reconstructed and thats why he missed the whole preseason last year

He certainly looked like he was quick and good at running with the footy.

What is his kicking like?

GVGjr
14-01-2009, 05:21 PM
I thought he'd had the shoulder reconstructed and thats why he missed the whole preseason last year

He certainly looked like he was quick and good at running with the footy.

What is his kicking like?

You might be right re his shoulder.

His kicking is OK but he does need a bit of work with the decision making side of things.

Bulldog Revolution
15-01-2009, 11:55 AM

His kicking is OK but he does need a bit of work with the decision making side of things.

He looks like he really enjoys tucking the ball under his arm and taking players on, but at times the Willy Oval wind probably made his disposal look ordinary at the end of those runs.

His decision making may well be less developed given his non TAC cup pathway

Cyberdoggie
15-01-2009, 12:23 PM

I'd agree with the decision making.

Certainly his main weakness as a footballer at the moment. But he's got time to learn.

His kicking is pretty good, kicks long and penetrates the lines, but sometimes picks the wrong option or over kicks it. He's not quite a Callan Ward or Jarrod Harbrow with their vision and kicking skills, but he can run, he's quick, and backs himself. I still think he needs to improve his fitness, he looks fit, and with his pedigree and athletics background you would think he'd be fit but to me he blew himself out a lot last year. There were patches where he'd be busy in the play or go for a run but by the end of it he was spent.

I'm looking forward to a good year from him. I think he'll be a big improver.

Bulldog Revolution
16-01-2009, 03:31 PM
I'd agree with the decision making.

Certainly his main weakness as a footballer at the moment. But he's got time to learn.

His kicking is pretty good, kicks long and penetrates the lines, but sometimes picks the wrong option or over kicks it. He's not quite a Callan Ward or Jarrod Harbrow with their vision and kicking skills, but he can run, he's quick, and backs himself. I still think he needs to improve his fitness, he looks fit, and with his pedigree and athletics background you would think he'd be fit but to me he blew himself out a lot last year. There were patches where he'd be busy in the play or go for a run but by the end of it he was spent.

I'm looking forward to a good year from him. I think he'll be a big improver.

I wonder how much of him looking not that fit is the style of game he plays

From the limited bits I saw of him he plays in those 70-90 metre bursts like Griffen, gets it takes a few bounces and then kicks, and Griff always looks knackered

The Bulldogs Bite
16-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Wood has a nice size about him, it'll be interesting to see how he develops, he could become quite a handy player. He has sevral attractive attributes that could see him develop into a dangerous player, though as noted, he really needs to improve his decision making. If you can't hit a target or make the wrong decisions, then you won't last long. Here's hoping he can improve on this, as he could really blossom.

Dry Rot
14-02-2009, 02:04 AM
He he is a very powerful player who posses a great leap and whilst he has played mainly around the midfield and defense it's very hard to know exactly what position might best suit him.

Keep an eye out for Wood during the pre-season and with a bit of luck on his side he could very well sneak in for a senior game or two. He is very likely to take a few screamers as well.

Good pick-up - saw him for the first time tonight.

Quite impressive.

GVGjr
14-02-2009, 02:06 AM
Good pick-up - saw him for the first time tonight.

Quite impressive.

I was sitting with a group of people who hadn't seen him before and they liked the look of him and even commented about his poise. He still has a long way to go but he had a good first up taste of senior footy.

Remi Moses
14-02-2009, 02:19 AM
impressive tonight. looks a good prospect

firstdogonthemoon
14-02-2009, 09:50 AM
He looked good last night but I didn't really like American Psycho though.

craigsahibee
14-02-2009, 10:08 AM
I was watching him in the warm up immediately prior to the game starting and he was kicking the balls out from the goal square. All of his kicks spun like drop punts but some of them didn't reach their targets on the full. What I did like about him in the warm up was his eagerness. He was constantly turning around looking for another footy to kick back and was just really keen to get involved, which he also demonstrated during the game.

Bulldog Revolution
14-02-2009, 11:05 AM
He definitely looked a talent, and after watching the tape he had more of it than I'd though whilst at the game

I was surprised the commentators didn't comment on him or Ward

Dry Rot
14-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Looks taller than 184cm to me.

Bulldog Revolution
15-02-2009, 08:47 AM

I thought he looked shorter than I was expecting, but maybe its the haircut

GVGjr
15-02-2009, 10:12 AM

I thought he looked shorter than I was expecting, but maybe its the haircut

I think he might be a bit taller than last year. He will never be a KPP but he will certainly be a powerful flanker or midfielder.

The Underdog
15-02-2009, 10:33 AM
He looked good last night but I didn't really like American Psycho though.

Less Than Zero is brilliant though, although he may be worried about drug tests...

Seriously though Easton Wood looked good. Nice size and moved well, still lots of work to do but promising nonetheless.

Twodogs
15-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Less Than Zero is brilliant though, although he may be worried about drug tests...

Seriously though Easton Wood looked good. Nice size and moved well, still lots of work to do but promising nonetheless.

The book's OK, although the constance references to the band called 'X' confused me no end. The film...Meh!

As to the actual thread topic-I'm no longer as worried about what happens when Mitch Hanhn's body packs up in a couple of years.

bulldogtragic
15-02-2009, 04:56 PM
I like the look of him. I'm with your thinking two-dogs. Buddy him up with Hahn for everything he does, training match days, recovery everything. He has Mitch's type of body Mitch had 8-10 years ago and he moves fairly well. A long way to go, but there were good signs from him.

I love O'Sheas reckless abandonment, his hands seem okay, but his skills by foot...

Sockeye Salmon
15-02-2009, 05:44 PM
As to the actual thread topic-I'm no longer as worried about what happens when Mitch Hanhn's body packs up in a couple of years.

Then we trade him to Gold Coast for pick 15.

craigsahibee
16-02-2009, 10:01 AM

Ahh. Now I know who you guys are talking about. The reference to American Psych threw me at first, but then the follow up with Less than Zero made it all make sense..... Kind of!

alwaysadog
17-02-2009, 12:04 AM
Ahh. Now I know who you guys are talking about. The reference to American Psych threw me at first, but then the follow up with Less than Zero made it all make sense..... Kind of!

I'd say some connections became clear.... but sense:confused:

alwaysadog
22-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Pity he was hurt on friday, he would have got a lot of confidence from his performance the week before and would have beeen champing at the bit. nevertheless he did allright on Everitt, which is not a bad effort.

GVGjr
09-03-2009, 10:00 AM
How many senior games do you think he might be able to muster this season? At the start of the year I thought he might be able to get a game or two but with a bit of luck it might end up being more than 5.

I get the feeling he might be edging in front of guys like Stack at the moment.

Mantis
09-03-2009, 10:25 AM
How many senior games do you think he might be able to muster this season? At the start of the year I thought he might be able to get a game or two but with a bit of luck it might end up being more than 5.

With us having a fair bit of depth with mid-sized defenders it will make it quite difficult for Easton to get a look in. If we have luck with injuries & form I think he will play less than 5 games, but if we struggle and the players who fill like positions do like-wise then we could see him play a few more.

I get the feeling he might be edging in front of guys like Stack at the moment.

Not sure on that, they play different positions so are competing with different players for a spot in the team.

Dry Rot
09-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Have only seen him last Sat night - looked out of his depth (although he had a lot of mates that night)

comrade
09-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Have only seen him last Sat night - looked out of his depth (although he had a lot of mates that night)

DR, you really need to let go of Saturday night. :)

Dry Rot
09-03-2009, 12:04 PM
DR, you really need to let go of Saturday night. :)

You Melbourne guys haven't been exposed to years of blaring "Cheer, cheer the red and the whites..." after each loss..... ;)

Before I Die
09-03-2009, 12:28 PM
We are looking at at least one retirement at the end of this year (Akermanis) and maybe two (Eagleton) from the midfield/fwd line. I imagine that Eade will want to continue to give opportunities to players such as Ward/Reid/Wood/O'Keefe/Stack/Lynch/........??. It is likely one or two of these players will manage 5 to 10 games this year and at this stage the top candidates are probably Ward followed by Wood and Reid.

bornadog
09-03-2009, 12:31 PM
You Melbourne guys haven't been exposed to years of blaring "Cheer, cheer the red and the whites..." after each loss..... ;)

A practise match is not a loss.

I think Wood will need some luck to get more than a few games for the year ie he will come in when there is an injury and depending on form could get a few games.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Wood has improved a fair bit from what I've seen, according to DR he looked a little out of his depth v Sydney, but he's done OK the other times I've seen him and especially against Essendon. I think he's proven that he has the ability to play. Big shoulders, plenty of courage, carries the football - IMO he has a future if he keeps developing.

In saying that, he'll play less than 5 games, but for him to even make his debut this year would be a solid effort because he was rated as a "Smokey" when drafted, and he's probably come on quicker than we all first thought he would.

Jasper
11-03-2009, 12:06 PM
is it just me or does this kid remind anyone of kerr the way he moves? also I think we will be looking at 3 retirements at years end, Welsh will go as well.

Desipura
11-03-2009, 01:34 PM
is it just me or does this kid remind anyone of kerr the way he moves? also I think we will be looking at 3 retirements at years end, Welsh will go as well.

its just you......

GVGjr
01-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Reports of Easton Wood so far during this pre-season have been very positive. Whats a realistic outlook for 2010 for him?
What position is he likely to fill?

LostDoggy
01-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Reports of Easton Wood so far during this pre-season have been very positive. Whats a realistic outlook for 2010 for him?

Imo I think 6-8 games would be a good year for Easton. Position wise I think H/B or wing even pushing into the mid field at times. Loves to take them on and has a terrific leap from what i have seen. Lets just hope his dodgey shoulders hold up now!

Go_Dogs
01-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Have only seen him in action a few times, but have been impressed on each occasion. He's certainly a very powerful athlete, and I liked his aerial ability and the diversity it gave us in the back half and in particular moving the ball out of the zone from a kick-in.

Based on what I have seen his skills are good enough, although not yet a feature. Like bigfella I'd like so see Wood play 5-10 games, and possibly more.

w3design
01-02-2010, 03:49 PM

Woodsy is looking very good at training. Appears he is being groomed to start down back [he played there in the match simulation at training, and even had the kick in duties]. A posi in the back six could eventuate this season if the coaches decide to give Harbrow a run in the mid field.

Mofra
01-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Gilbee has pushed up to the wing on occasion - Wood would have to be battling it out with an Everitt or Tiller for a HB spot if Williams & Shaggy take the other two possies there. Taking on Cox when he was out of position in 2009 shows he's a real competitor who will makes the grade; the question is when, not if.

chef
01-02-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm hoping he can play 12-15 games and be holding a permanent position in the 22 by the end of the season.

LostDoggy
01-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Well the boy sure can play cricket!!!! :D

The Bulldogs Bite
01-02-2010, 06:03 PM
I've been a big wrap from him for the last two years, even more so after what I saw at training the other day. I think 8 games would be realistic and another good step in the right direction. There's a lot of competition for spots at the moment and he's probably still behind a couple at this stage. However, a few positions will open up after 2010 and he'll become a regular from that point forward IMO.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Wood played 15 games. He's a strong, powerful athlete that offers versatility. If we want to keep playing Gilbee up the field, he could cement a position across the half back.

Dazza
01-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Tough side to break into at the moment but I'd think he'd be one of the first to be picked if a player gets injured throughout the year.

Bulldog Revolution
01-02-2010, 11:15 PM
I'd like to see him play 5-10 games and become one of the most consistent and damaging performers at VFL senior level

bornadog
01-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Imo I think 6-8 games would be a good year for Easton. Position wise I think H/B or wing even pushing into the mid field at times. Loves to take them on and has a terrific leap from what i have seen. Lets just hope his dodgey shoulders hold up now!

Not sure if he can crack 6 to 8, I guess he has to wait on a position to come up, however, I agree a half back/Wing role would be ideal for him as he needs to build up his defensive skills. he could be the new Smith, running off half back, down the wing and pumping the ball into the forward 50.

From what I have seen of him, he will be a good player.

Mofra
02-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Reid, Tiller & Eagle have had interrupted pre-seasons so he isn't without a chance to be in the round 1 team.

Bulldog Revolution
02-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Reid, Tiller & Eagle have had interrupted pre-seasons so he isn't without a chance to be in the round 1 team.

Good call but Hill, Callan, Moles, and Stack will also be pretty keen to be selected

It's cliche but the main thing for Wood to do is to keep improving, showing Rocket and co he is worth persevering with, and I cant see any reason why he wont be better in 2010.

He still has huge room for improvement left in the VFL

Mantis
02-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Good call but Hill, Callan, Moles, and Stack will also be pretty keen to be selected

It's cliche but the main thing for Wood to do is to keep improving, showing Rocket and co he is worth persevering with, and I cant see any reason why he wont be better in 2010.

He does, but he is far more suited to playing on big grounds to which Williamstown's home ground is not.

As with others I am expecting him to play 6 to 10 games and hopefully more. He is the type of player who can improve the team which is what is required to keep ourselves up in the top 4.

GVGjr
02-02-2010, 04:01 PM

Like a lot of youngsters I'm yet to see him really play a good 4 quarter game. That won't stop him from being selected in the senior side but it does show he has plenty of scope for improvement in him.

Mofra
02-02-2010, 05:17 PM
On a position basis, I'd see Hill as his only competitor from that group and even then Hill is more a wing/forward type than a HB/wing type.

w3design
03-02-2010, 10:50 PM
While in preseason it is hard to envisage who might drop out of the existing 22 to make room, Hargrave, Gilbee and Harbrow moving further up the ground could make for a radically different back six this year. Some of the possible options down back have already displayed their potential, but gee there a lot of newies with the opportunity to show their wares and try and leap frog the guys ahead of them on the ladder.
I would think just holding your spot this year will require consistent performance on field, and heaven help anyone who drops form, or gets injured. It may just be a long hard road back if the guy who replaces you takes his chance.

Go_Dogs
02-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Any news on young Easton?

Is he a chance this weekend?

Cyberdoggie
02-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Like a lot of youngsters I'm yet to see him really play a good 4 quarter game. That won't stop him from being selected in the senior side but it does show he has plenty of scope for improvement in him.

True, however what i saw of him in the last game for Williamstown (the losing final) impressed me. BOG and played an excellent 4 quarters of football in a side that was well beaten. It was his best game by far and he did it with one shoulder.

The only doubt on Easton for me is his lack of games in the Western Bulldogs side to date.
With a very strong squad of senior/experienced players pushing for a gf this year he will need some luck to get in the side. I'm confident however that if he can get a chance he will show what he is capable of this year.

I'm tipping about 7-10 games for him this year.

The other point to note is that he is starting a little behind the others this year due to his shoulder operation and hasn't featured in the NAB cup yet. So he has missed out a good opportunity to stake his claim early, he'll have to do it with good performances at Williamstown and perhaps a potential season ending injury to Nathan Eagleton might also help. ;)

LostDoggy
03-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Any news on young Easton?

Is he a chance this weekend?

Named in the squad for NAB semi

LostDoggy
06-03-2010, 03:49 AM
very impressed with Wood last night.....athletic x factor with a very competitive spirit

BulldogBelle
06-03-2010, 04:22 AM
I too liked the look of him tonight, and if we were not a contender this year, could reasonably see him playing a handful of senior games. I think a few guys are still ahead of him but a handy youngster to have coming through over the next 2-3 years.
It seems he was played tonight through the midfield and off half back and made some good decisions in traffic.

GVGjr
06-03-2010, 07:26 AM
very impressed with Wood last night.....athletic x factor with a very competitive spirit

I can't quite see the X factor in him. He's a powerful player but not really an exciting one in the true X factor meaning from what I have seen.

chef
06-03-2010, 07:59 AM
I can't quite see the X factor in him. He's a powerful player but not really an exciting one in the true X factor meaning from what I have seen.

And his disposal is very ordinary ATM.

LostDoggy
06-03-2010, 08:51 AM
And his disposal is very ordinary ATM.

Hes got a lot of work to do but there is something about the way he attacks the ball that just makes you think he will become a great player for us.

mighty_west
06-03-2010, 12:44 PM
Hes got a lot of work to do but there is something about the way he attacks the ball that just makes you think he will become a great player for us.

The way he attacks the ball is his biggest strength, he is almost reckless towards himself the way he just goes full steam, that contest last night when he run straight back and ended up cleaning up Stewart, was right in front of us, not many players in the AFL would have attacked that contest the way he did.

He also has this confidence in carrying the ball, taking a few bounces, but i agree with others that his disposal can let him down, he also run far too close to the man on the mark with his set shot on goal which just missed.

LostDoggy
07-03-2010, 01:06 AM

i can see a bit of jared Brennan in him...minus the holding the ball with one hand thing...just seems to me to be the type of player that could break a game open if given enough oppurtunity, hence the x factor comment

The Bulldogs Bite
07-03-2010, 01:12 AM
He also has this confidence in carrying the ball, taking a few bounces, but i agree with others that his disposal can let him down, he also run far too close to the man on the mark with his set shot on goal which just missed.

He's proven that he's difficult to tackle so if he can fix his kicking then he offers us a number of roles. Capable of playing off half back and on the wing. With such a big leap, perhaps even as a forward.

Plays a little bit like Cooney/Griffen in that he loves to pick up the ball, bust through a few attempted tackles and run hard through the lines. Whether he can find enough of the ball though is another question.

Signs are good. Look forward to his progress this season.

chef
07-03-2010, 07:45 AM

I love the way he leaps and can run with the ball(break the lines), so hopefully his kicking can be fixed.

Mantis
07-03-2010, 09:39 AM
He's proven that he's difficult to tackle so if he can fix his kicking then he offers us a number of roles. Capable of playing off half back and on the wing. With such a big leap, perhaps even as a forward.

Plays a little bit like Cooney/Griffen in that he loves to pick up the ball, bust through a few attempted tackles and run hard through the lines. Whether he can find enough of the ball though is another question.

Signs are good. Look forward to his progress this season.

And then dispose of it efficiently is probably more important. The knock on Easton has always been his kicking and it seems that it still hasn't been rectified.

At the minute he could probably be viewed as a more 'athletic' version of Dylan Addison which probably means that his skill set needs to improve to allow him to become a permanent fixture of our team.

LostDoggy
07-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Seems to like to break the lines ala Griffen. Very good core strength. Will play a lot of games for us. Kicking will come with more game time.