PDA

View Full Version : Just one more month

The Pie Man
13-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Evening all,

Haven't thought about the footy much at all this summer, but it dawned on me this morning that it's exactly a month today until our first NAB cup game vs Essendon, and I'm getting excited again.

I'd love to see us win the NAB Cup this year - though seeing the likes of J Grant and hopefully A Cordy run around will take precedence over such wishes.

What are our main hopes for the NAB Cup?

The Coon Dog
13-01-2009, 11:56 PM
To be honest I couldn't care less about the NAB Cup. Bigger fish to fry.

We'll be taking a very inexperienced team to Darwin v Essendon.

With 2 of the first 4 games in Perth, ensuring we're fully fit & up & running then is more important than the NAB Cup, so many players will be rested to ensure they're right when it counts.

The Pie Man
14-01-2009, 12:05 AM

With 2 of the first 4 games in Perth, ensuring we're fully fit & up & running then is more important than the NAB Cup, so many players will be rested to ensure they're right when it counts.

Not surprised to hear that (inexperienced side) and it's always heart warming to see a Jarrod Harbrow dazzle and show a glimpse of what a potential September performer they could be.

Still, the NAB Cup does mean footy...and at least us on a Friday night more importantly...on tv

bornadog
14-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Like TCD I don't get passionate about the NAB cup, however, I never like to see a doggies team lose.

It will be great to give some young players experience and show the fans what we can expect in the future.

ledge
14-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Problem with NAB cup if you lose first game your out so its only one game to try them , rather we won one or two and give more younger players games or the ones we pick get more games.
Its nice to see how young players go against different styled opposition teams and players on a stage of a few supporters, rather than out in the bush somewhere.

LostDoggy
14-01-2009, 10:45 AM

If Memory serves me correct TCD you do get a bit of White Line Fever even in the Nab Cup.

The Coon Dog
14-01-2009, 10:57 AM
If Memory serves me correct TCD you do get a bit of White Line Fever even in the Nab Cup.

Not really, of course I always like to see a win, but I'm looking at the bigger picture this time.

soupman
14-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Problem with NAB cup if you lose first game your out so its only one game to try them , rather we won one or two and give more younger players games or the ones we pick get more games.
Its nice to see how young players go against different styled opposition teams and players on a stage of a few supporters, rather than out in the bush somewhere.

I'm not really bothered by this. If we get knocked out we get to play in the NAB challenge, which are effectively a bunch of practice matches played in Bendigo and elsewhere. we still play against other AFL teams, so our players would stil get a chance to impress, just on a smaller stage.

The Pie Man
14-01-2009, 01:41 PM
If Jarrad Grant can play well and kick a few, that will really add to our bigger picture - and I would put the form of young forwards in pre-season ahead of the actual results.

Though by playing Essendon, I'm sure the heart rate will go up a few notches on the night. Used to really despise em

LostDoggy
14-01-2009, 02:37 PM

That is the exact reason why I am so excited about this years NAB, a chance to get to see how our youngsters stack up.

Given our strong postition last year, we don't need to prove anything in this years NAB so we can can play our youngsters and see how the future of our club is shaping up!!

LostDoggy
14-01-2009, 07:28 PM
We will be going into the NAB Cup with an inexperienced side but so too will Essendon - maybe even more so.

Most of their list ended up in the operating theatre over the summer and many are still in rehab as we type! We should definitely defeat them and go through to the second round especially when you consider that we're used to the Darwin conditions at this time of the year with us playing North there last year in the cup.

Would be good to see us win something and a NAB Cup would be good for starters but we all know what all of our focus and the club's will be towards...round 1! Bring it on I say!!

Bumper Bulldogs
14-01-2009, 09:16 PM
That is the exact reason why I am so excited about this years NAB, a chance to get to see how our youngsters stack up.

Given our strong postition last year, we don't need to prove anything in this years NAB so we can can play our youngsters and see how the future of our club is shaping up!!

I reckon it will be good to sea the Willi side run out and thump the Bombers.

should be good to see the young pups in action as I'm sure they will be keen to get an early opportunity as they may not get one if everyone stays healthy this year.

I too can't wait for the footy to start. At least with the NAB we get back to the water coolers to discuss important things at work.

LostDoggy
14-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Can't wait to get on that plane and head to Darwin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't come quick enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bumper Bulldogs
14-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Can't wait to get on that plane and head to Darwin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't come quick enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should be good, We've got money on another bulldog supporter doing the Nude run over the ground. Got $1.40 on. :eek:

Scorlibo
14-01-2009, 10:30 PM
The NAB Cup is the Guinea Pig league for both the AFL and Clubs, the AFL test their rules (most of them bogus) and Clubs test their young players.

GVGjr
14-01-2009, 10:48 PM

Have you always had that opinion? I'm not sure why but I thought you wanted us to have a crack at the NAB cup a while back.

FWIW, I get the concept of the bigger picture of the ultimate goal but the boost to the financial coffers and membership numbers makes it an enticing prospect to perform well at the NAB cup. We obviously have to balance that against players coming back from injury and setting up the team to perform well from round 1.

It also prompts a bigger question about if performing well in the NAB cup would automatically mean that we couldn't do the same through the season?

BulldogBelle
15-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Looking forward to watching to the NAB Cup and seeing some of the younger pups out there having a go. It would be nice to win a few games and as GVG mentioned in his post above a few wins will give the membership numbers a boost.

The Coon Dog
15-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Have you always had that opinion? I'm not sure why but I thought you wanted us to have a crack at the NAB cup a while back.

I have in previous seasons.

I just think this year all our emphasis has to be geared towards the season proper.

GVGjr
15-01-2009, 08:12 AM
I have in previous seasons.

I just think this year all our emphasis has to be geared towards the season proper.

Fair enough. We gave it a real shake last year and I suppose it should be the primary focus but a good NAB cup campaign but still a great H&A season is something that a lot of good clubs can do.

strebla
15-01-2009, 11:28 AM
I look forward to seeing Grant ,Stack ect do well and wining a couple of games .Give Higgins the captaincy to see where his leadership is ( I think he is a born leader )and we go out in rnd 3 i'm happy

LostDoggy
15-01-2009, 11:35 AM

FWIW, I get the concept of the bigger picture of the ultimate goal but the boost to the financial coffers and membership numbers makes it an enticing prospect to perform well at the NAB cup. We obviously have to balance that against players coming back from injury and setting up the team to perform well from round 1.

It also prompts a bigger question about if performing well in the NAB cup would automatically mean that we couldn't do the same through the season?

In years when we struggle and are at risk of losing members, I've an advocate for pushing as hard as possible in the NAB to ensure that members stay on and that we make some cash from prize money.

This year however, we dont need to worry about that as even the most fickle and uneducated of supporters can see that we are on the right track, despite how we may fair in the NAB. It will be well documented that many of our players will be missing and a great chance to see our pups have a crack in the big time!

The Pie Man
18-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Looking forward to watching to the NAB Cup and seeing some of the younger pups out there having a go. It would be nice to win a few games and as GVG mentioned in his post above a few wins will give the membership numbers a boost.

It can have an impact on membership - we win the 1st game, we'd likely play at the Dome the next week, which I'm sure the club would want rather than the country circuit - though the surfaces of some well kept country grounds are probably better than at the Dome currently, it's in awful nick at the minute.

ledge
18-01-2009, 03:49 PM
It can have an impact on membership - we win the 1st game, we'd likely play at the Dome the next week, which I'm sure the club would want rather than the country circuit - though the surfaces of some well kept country grounds are probably better than at the Dome currently, it's in awful nick at the minute.

Did you see the Gabba (i think it was the Gabba) the other day how bad was that ground?

hujsh
18-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Did you see the Gabba (i think it was the Gabba) the other day how bad was that ground?

Worst I've seen it

LostDoggy
18-01-2009, 08:45 PM

The 'Gabba used to be the best surface in the country and now it is clearly the worst. I've also noticed that it's looked very ordinary during the football season so I wouldn't be surprised if a new surface is on the cards.

ledge
18-01-2009, 08:52 PM
What have they been doing at the Gabba for it to be like that?
Concerts? couldnt possibly be the soccer.

hujsh
18-01-2009, 08:56 PM
What have they been doing at the Gabba for it to be like that?
Concerts? couldnt possibly be the soccer.

I think the soccer is played at Suncorp

ledge
18-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Well its not soccer then and certainly cricket wouldnt cause it.

The Coon Dog
18-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Well its not soccer then and certainly cricket wouldnt cause it.

Race to make Gabba playable (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24904901-23212,00.html)

GROUNDSMEN have worked through their holidays in a bid to ensure a damaging fungus does not ruin the Gabba outfield for the second Australia v South Africa Twenty20 match.

LostDoggy
18-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Let's just hope there won't be the same hysterics that occurred last year, when the dogs got smashed by Essendon! There were predictions of yet another bottom four finish and then Rocket should get the sack!

ledge
18-01-2009, 11:05 PM
You'll find DT, that that sort of hysteria was confined more to BF than WOOF, we're a little more seasoned & a lot less reactionary.

And we have Jerry who does enough of it for all of us, so we do not have to worry about it.:)

hujsh
27-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Just over 2 weeks to go. Hope we win so i can watch 2 matches on TV