PDA

View Full Version : Predict the 5 best Bulldog Players in 2009

BulldogBelle
15-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Still the off season, NAB cup around the corner…then we wait patiently for the season proper to start.

So, who do you all think will be our 5 best players in season 2009? Will it be the usual lot or perhaps one of the younger players will take that next step?

List the 5 players who you think will have breakout seasons below…

1. Adam Cooney - I feel he will be in for another great season and hopefully add another Brownlow into his coffers.

2. Ryan Griffen – I just get the feeling this will be a massive year for him.

3. Daniel Cross – This guy just doesn’t stop he will be right up there with the rest of them.

4. Brad Johnson - I don’t see his age as a factor a little injury plagued last year but he will be hell bent on getting the best out of himself this season.

5. Shaun Higgins by all reports he is raring to go, I have a good vibe about him also.

Apologies to everyone else, I hope they all have great seasons but just as an exercise try and pick 5 only and we will revisit this thread at the end of the season and see how we all went.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Good thread, BB.

1. Ryan Griffen - Whilst he probably won't win the club's B&F, I think he'll probably be our best performed player this year. Cooney's lack of a pre-season might set him back a bit, and I think this is the season Griff will really catch up and stamp himself as an elite AFL footballer. He's had a strong pre-season to date and look in great shape.

2. Daniel Cross - It's hard to overlook this guy. His competitiveness is second to none, he literally does not stop, shows absolutely no fear and is quickly becoming the heart of the club - basically like the second coming of Westy. He'll have another great year.

3. Adam Cooney - Difficult to see Coons slip any lower. Even with a lack of a pre-season, he's a seasoned footballer now, so as long as he goes about his rehab in the right way, he should still be in for a very strong year. No doubt he's our most important player.

4. Shaun Higgins - Look for Higgo to really step it up a few levels this year. He missed most of '08 with the ankle reconstruction, but yet when he came back, he had a terrific finals series. His last two matches were very impressive because despite being out for so long, despite not being completely conditioned, he really was dangerous. IMO - it gives really encouraging signs that he's ready to take the next step. He's improved certain areas of his game (IE. Defensive) so as long as he continues to improve, along with his strong pre-season (finally, first in a while) we should expect big things from Shaun.

5. Lindsay Gilbee - Easily in our top five or six players. He's so critical to our side, his decision making & foot skills are excellent, he really does carve sides up despite having close attention over the last two seasons. I think Rocket might try pushing Gilbee up the field at times, giving the midfield an extra bit of drive and potency. They won't be long stints, but short bursts - enough to really swing momentum our way. He's a great footballer, very underrated in his defensive game.

lemmon
15-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Ryan Griffin- Coming off a great pre-season im predicting a break out year, spending more time in the middle and finding more ball around the ground.

Adam Cooney- Reigning brownlow medalist who will only get better

Brian Lake- A key to the bulldogs game style, like a good wine he keeps getting better with age. Will really need to have a good year if the bulldogs keep improving.

Dale Morris- Mr Reliable, Im predicting the same thing hes done for his whole career, make life hell for opposition forwards.

Daniel Cross- Coming off a BnF probably the safest option to put in here with his fantastic ball winning ability and stamina.

A few others who could easily go in such as Higgins, Murphy and Gilbee.

strebla
15-01-2009, 11:36 AM
This is really difficult but a great thread
Griff - irrisistable strenth, pace, poise and deadly arond goal
Cross -just keeps going and going
Cooney -after a slow start will have a cracker
Shaggy-really think he will have a huge year with a little less responsibility
Minson -comming of age for big Will this year looking to take up number one ruck role

LostDoggy
15-01-2009, 12:35 PM
it's the young uns for me
Harbrow...forward pressure with that little bit of "magic Williams...no pressure , but nows the time
Higgins...pure class, Cousins like.
Hill....could be anything
Griffin....his turn for personal glory

Go_Dogs
15-01-2009, 06:20 PM
1. Griffen
2. Cooney
3. Lake
4. Boyd
5. Murphy

bulldog
15-01-2009, 06:46 PM
1.Ryan Griffen
2.Brian Lake
3.Daniel Cross
4.Tom Williams
5.Shaun Higgins
GRIFF WILL WIN THE BROWNLOW !

bornadog
15-01-2009, 07:43 PM
1. Harbrow
2. Hill
3. Griffen
4. Higgins
5. Everitt

DOG GOD
15-01-2009, 07:51 PM
1.Ryan Griffen
2.Brian Lake
3.Daniel Cross
4.Tom Williams
5.Shaun Higgins
GRIFF WILL WIN THE BROWNLOW !

Agree with u here Bulldog. except the brownlow.

Bumper Bulldogs
15-01-2009, 10:08 PM
For me it's like this - Most improved
1, Will Minson will deliver
2, Tommy Williams will be on the park
3, Shaun Higgins will show the football world he has arrived
4, Callun Ward will will the rising star award
5, Griff will win the brownlow

Griff the Charlie Sutton medal
Johnson will win the Clubs goal kicking (65 goals)
Cross the BOG Grand final day
Dogs will win the Premiership

Happy Days
16-01-2009, 12:35 AM
1. Cooney
2. Griffen
3. Cross
4. Gilbee
5. Lake

What can I say? The old firm (and I use that term loosely) taking care of business again. These are the blokes I view as our best, if not most important 5 players, and the others are chasing them at the moment. I can't see them being caught this year.

azabob
16-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Cross
Boyd
Cooney
Lake
Murphy

Bulldog Revolution
16-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Cross
Boyd
Cooney
Lake
Murphy

Now that is more like it

As much as I hope to see Higgins and Williams in there, I dont think its realistic.

If Higgins and Williams finished in the top 10 in the B&F then we will have had an incredible year.

Griffen is a chance but I'm not sure he's gone top 10 in a B & F yet.

LostDoggy
17-01-2009, 02:34 AM
Cooney - Mr Brownlow himself;)
Griffin
Higgins
Adddison - expect him to take a big step up - love this guy
Murphy - many experts say he is the most talented guy in our team - time for him to test this theory.

Honourable mentions to Aker - his last year will be out to prove something
Johno - his hunger is there
Cross - he is our Captain Kirk

whythelongface
17-01-2009, 12:25 PM
1. Griff - this year will be he is coming of age (barring injury). We have seen glimpses of what he can do. By year's end he will be in the top 5 players in the competition;

2. Cooney - will step up another level this year and may well win the Brownlow again;

3. Lake - will stamp himself as the best FB in the comp this year;

4. Cross - mr consistency - will step up a gear now that Westy will not be back;

5. Higgins - this guy has talent to burn - will be a dominant small forward who will also spend lots of time in the middle.

Scraggers
18-01-2009, 01:29 AM
Cooney - Mr Brownlow himself;)
Griffin
Higgins
Adddison - expect him to take a big step up - love this guy
Murphy - many experts say he is the most talented guy in our team - time for him to test this theory.

Honourable mentions to Aker - his last year will be out to prove something
Johno - his hunger is there
Cross - he is our Captain Kirk

Live long and prosper ... ;)

These are my predictions

1. Cooney
2. Griffen
3. Cross
4. Murphy
5. Everitt

GVGjr
05-10-2009, 10:43 PM
This is an old thread but there was a lot of love for Griffen to do well but in my opinion, he didn't quite measure up.

How do you think he went this season?
What went wrong?

Jasper
05-10-2009, 10:48 PM
1.Cooney
2.Higgins
3.Boyd
4.Lake
5.Harbrow

Griffen will continue to tantalise. Morris to just miss out, Cross unlucky. Minson may start to feel pressure from Roughead - hopefully.

GVGjr
05-10-2009, 10:52 PM
1.Cooney
2.Higgins
3.Boyd
4.Lake
5.Harbrow

Griffen will continue to tantalise. Morris to just miss out, Cross unlucky. Minson may start to feel pressure from Roughead - hopefully.

Are you talking 2010?
This was a look at an earlier pre-season thread that nominated the best players for 2009.

AndrewP6
05-10-2009, 11:02 PM
This is an old thread but there was a lot of love for Griffen to do well but in my opinion, he didn't quite measure up.

What went wrong?

I think you're right, he had some good moments, but to me he didn't really get going until late in the piece. Obviously the loss of his father affected him, hopefully he has a good preseason, and comes out all guns blazing in 2010.

Doc26
05-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Are you talking 2010?
This was a look at an earlier pre-season thread that nominated the best players for 2009.

No I don't believe he is. There's no BBBB there. ;)

jazzadogs
05-10-2009, 11:25 PM
I think you're right, he had some good moments, but to me he didn't really get going until late in the piece. Obviously the loss of his father affected him, hopefully he has a good preseason, and comes out all guns blazing in 2010.
For more than a quarter this time... :P

BulldogBelle
05-10-2009, 11:41 PM
I did a list but the problem is it's so boring.

We're a great team and like all great teams we have players with serious work ethic. I reckon if we expanded the number a bit we might get more interesting results

edit: Thats embarassing

bornadog
05-10-2009, 11:52 PM

What went wrong?

He had some flashes of brilliance but was not consistent enough. We know that Rocket changed his role a bit during the season to become more of a run with player and this did work well, without gaining to many possessions, he did the job the coach wanted. He certainty was the player of the last two finals, really showing us his worth. His kicking for goal was not as good as in previous seasons, and really had ample opportunities to nail some big goals.

I am expecting him to really mature next season and show us how he can be a dominant player for us.

Go_Dogs
06-10-2009, 11:11 AM
His kicking for goal was not as good as in previous seasons, and really had ample opportunities to nail some big goals.

Agree on this one. For such a good player, at times he can be a bit casual with his finishing, or a bit rushed and it does let him down. He still would have kicked 15-20 goals for the season though, so not a bad effort for a midfielder.

Hopefully the finals series gives him the confidence to really explode next season.

mighty_west
06-10-2009, 11:49 AM
- Shaun Higgins
- Adam Cooney
- Dale Morris
- Matty Boyd
- BARRY HALL :D

bornadog
06-10-2009, 12:23 PM
- Shaun Higgins
- Adam Cooney
- Dale Morris
- Matty Boyd
- BARRY HALL :D

this thread is about 2009 predictions, not 2010

mighty_west
06-10-2009, 12:27 PM
this thread is about 2009 predictions, not 2010

Ah yeah, damn, i knew getting up so early wasn't healthy to my mind, just....getting....in....early....for....next....season.:p