PDA

View Full Version : Fijian AFL recruit's visa rejected

The Coon Dog
15-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Fijian AFL recruit's visa rejected (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/01/15/2467075.htm)

A Fijian footballer is being denied the chance to train with the Western Bulldogs AFL club in Melbourne because of his father's involvement with the Fijian military.

The Immigration Department says a visa application by 19-year-old Inoke Ratu was rejected because of sanctions against Fiji's interim government.

Ratu was to be one of the first Fijian players to join the AFL under the International Scholarship List, which was introduced last year.

He says he is heartbroken that he may not get that chance.

"I'm a bit disappointed at the moment - everything that has been my target, my aim this year has been turned down just because of my visa application," he said.

Simon Dalrymple from the Western Bulldogs says the club will appeal against the decision.

"He was shattered and we basically just told him that we're not going to give up hope and that we're working really hard to get him to Australia," he said.

Drunken Bum
15-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Is it just me or do these things never happen to other clubs? Is it just that i dont notice it happening to other clubs or what?
Geez we cop more than our fair share of rubbish decisions

LostDoggy
15-01-2009, 09:46 PM
We should've predicted that something like this was going to happen...nothing is ever smooth sailing for us, no matter what we try and do...

Happy Days
15-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Lameeeeee.

42-C-3 will be crushed.

bornadog
15-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Saw this on ABC news tonight, couldn't believe politics will stop the kid. Lets hope the appeal goes through.

LostDoggy
15-01-2009, 11:50 PM
MAybe next time the club will check with immigration first. Seems very amatuerish to me

Desipura
16-01-2009, 08:18 AM
MAybe next time the club will check with immigration first. Seems very amatuerish to me
very much like ALL your posts!

The Underdog
16-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Is it just me or do these things never happen to other clubs? Is it just that i dont notice it happening to other clubs or what?
Geez we cop more than our fair share of rubbish decisions

We should've predicted that something like this was going to happen...nothing is ever smooth sailing for us, no matter what we try and do...

Wow, maybe we could feel a little more pity for ourselves, poor old us, boo freakin hoo.
Imagine the hide of the Immigration Department to decide who gets a Visa or not based on something other than the needs of our football club. I'm not saying I agree with it or that it's right but maybe it's not just about us. You don't even know what role his father played in the Fijian military who haven't exactly historically been the most reasonable group of people.
We've had some pretty good luck in recent times (some of it of our own making), especially concerning money from government bodies, which has us far more secure than we've been in a while. I feel sorry for the kid but the chance of this coming off is pretty miniscule anyway so before we get too mawkish about how hard life is for us poor Bulldogs maybe we should chuck on our perspective goggles and get the **** over it

ledge
16-01-2009, 07:20 PM
So the kid suffers for his fathers actions?
He isnt in the military, his dad is.
So if Charles Manson had a child the child should be punished?

Topdog
17-01-2009, 12:00 PM

Check with immigration if the 1,000 or so people who turned up to training would be allowed Visa's?

I think the immigration department would have laughed at us and told us to stop wasting their time.

LostDoggy
17-01-2009, 12:31 PM
What are the chances of resolving this issue?

Mofra
17-01-2009, 12:52 PM
We still have some level of sanction with the Fijian government so a Visa was always going to be a difficult process. Would be interesting to hear what his dad does in the military, considering until recently we would attach Naval personal on Fijian ships & instiutions for short periods of time.

As I understand it, they operate the same class of patrol vessel as we do.

bulldogtragic
17-01-2009, 04:12 PM
I spend 4 days in hospital ang get this news when i first log on.

Disgrace. Bloody beaurcratic bullshit, his father's relationship with the military has nothing to do with the great support he can give his country by coming here and being a great role model. There is only good than can come of Inoke coming here and prosperity and improved awareness and relationships.

We have to take back criminals who we deport but can not allow a doctor with a disabled son and a young Fijian boy into our country. If ever there was another job for Peter Gordon this should be it.

Inoke swam through a flooded river after being thorn into it by his uncle and brought great hope to many. Many said it was God who made it happen. It is a great story, yet Australian beaurcrats seem hellbent on denying him. What act is this.

I hope the AFL, the club and people comitted to a better Australia fight for Inoke's right to come here and try for a better life, represent his country, highlight the issues of his land and represent hope and prosperity.

Inoke. Inoke. Inoke.

hujsh
19-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Seven showed Loke at the airport with Dalrymple talking a bit. No mention or Inoke

stav2044
20-01-2009, 01:37 AM
I Talk to Inoke every week. I am his Aunty and i live in Melbourne. The club would be very wise to pursue Inokes Visa Application. I have known Inoke since he was 5years old (my husband and his mum are brother/sister). I love the way you support him and i have told him about you. I just got back last month and he was so excited about the whole thing. I dropped him off at training every day without fail. His commitment, discipline, passion and humbleness will definately get him a Brownlow if he plays.

stav2044
20-01-2009, 01:39 AM
When i said "I told him about you" i meant to say it for Inoke Inoke Inoke - #1 Formerly bulldogtragic

hujsh
20-01-2009, 02:39 AM
Sounds like he's got the athletic ability and mental attributes to succeed. That'll hopefully make learning the mechanics of the game easier for him.

Happy to have you on board stav2044.:)

Desipura
20-01-2009, 08:38 AM
I Talk to Inoke every week. I am his Aunty and i live in Melbourne. The club would be very wise to pursue Inokes Visa Application. I have known Inoke since he was 5years old (my husband and his mum are brother/sister). I love the way you support him and i have told him about you. I just got back last month and he was so excited about the whole thing. I dropped him off at training every day without fail. His commitment, discipline, passion and humbleness will definately get him a Brownlow if he plays.
Thanks for the feedback. I think we would all be happy if he played senior footy, let alone a brownlow!

bulldogtragic
20-01-2009, 09:40 AM
When i said "I told him about you" i meant to say it for Inoke Inoke Inoke - #1 Formerly bulldogtragic
That has made my day :) . I just hope Inoke can get here and the great story continues.

Great to have you onboard Stav and look forward to meeting Inoke one of these days...

stav2044
20-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I think we would all be happy if he played senior footy, let alone a brownlow!
Inoke will get the chance to play senior footy once all this Bureaucratic Bull***t, sorts itself out and then he will prove himself to all of you.

stav2044
20-01-2009, 10:07 AM
That has made my day :) . I just hope Inoke can get here and the great story continues.

Great to have you onboard Stav and look forward to meeting Inoke one of these days...

As soon as he sets foot on Australian soil, i will get in touch with you and organize you to meet the humble giant.

bulldogtragic
20-01-2009, 10:36 AM
As soon as he sets foot on Australian soil, i will get in touch with you and organize you to meet the humble giant.
Now this has made my day. Very kind of you.

bornadog
20-01-2009, 05:46 PM

I can sort of understand the immigrations point of view with direct government officials, but surely that is where it must end. You cant stop family members from getting a visa who have nothing to do with government and politics.

Lets hope this is reolved quickly as it makes Australia look bad.

BulldogBelle
27-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Some hopeful news on the Visa front seems the forms weren't filled out correctly....

Ratu hopeful to get Australian visa (http://fijidailypost.com/news.php?section=3&fijidailynews=21631)
Fiji Daily Post
27-Jan-2009

A Fijian teenager who has been poached to play Australian Football for the Bulldogs has had positive news about his Australian visa this week.

The 19-year-old’s Australian visa application was thought to be rejected by the Australian immigration department because of his connections with the Fijian military.

Currently, the Australian government is imposing travel sanctions on any Fijian person who is related to or connected with the Fijian military, which staged a coup against the ruling Fijian Government in 2006 and have since not relinquished power.

Ratu, whose father is in the military, had his Australian visa application denied because he had incorrectly filled out the forms.

“My chances are really good. That’s what the Australian High Commission told me,” Ratu said.

“They were not happy with a section of the application I filled out.

“It had nothing to do with my dad being in the military,” he added.

The Bulldog officials are also confident Ratu will have his visa application approved and will be training with his teammates within a matter of weeks.

LostDoggy
28-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Great news for Ratu and the Dogs. It's always the paperwork.:confused:

bulldogtragic
28-01-2009, 09:00 AM
At last sense prevails.

Just another chapter to the story. Nothing can stop him.

LostDoggy
28-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Great news.