PDA

View Full Version : What was the first Dogs game you ever saw?

Dry Rot
21-01-2009, 01:26 PM
What was the first Dogs game you ever saw?

Mine was 1998 @ the SCG, no Grant, Libba did his knee and the Swans won. :(

Sedat
21-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Dogs v St Kilda at the Western Oval in 1982. It was bottom v 2nd bottom and we lost by about 3 goals. From (albeit hazy) memory it was a pretty unremarkable game of footy.

hujsh
21-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Went to Geelong to watch the game. Was maybe 95 but more likely 96 or 97. Grant became my favorite player and i was lost to my Geelong family forever as the doggies won and we jumped onto the ground. to make our exit.

Vaguely remember Wynd that day as well.

craigsahibee
21-01-2009, 02:48 PM
I spent the entire day in a pram during the first game I ever went too. Needless to say I have no recollection, but the great EJ played. I think my Dad wanted me to see him play.

I began attending regular games in '74 as a 4 - 5 year old. My only recollection of that year is the loss to Collingwood in the Elimination Final at VFL Park

mighty_west
21-01-2009, 03:05 PM
I can't exactly remember the first game i went to, but it would have most likely been a Western Oval game around 1977, Kelvin Templeton was like a god, Geoff Jennings was also a favourite of mine back in those days.

The following season i played in the Footscray Little League, being an 8 year old at the time, needless to say, i was "THAT" really small skinny kid that hid on a wing and hardly got a touch, i think i ended up playing a few games, it wasn't schools selected, it was proper training and a proper team back then, we even got to stand the boundary before the Grand Final that year with the blue & white and brown & gold balloons, i think for memory i was given a North t-shirt.

Sockeye Salmon
21-01-2009, 03:18 PM
What was the first Dogs you ever saw?

Mine was 1998 @ the SCG, no Grant, Libba did his knee and the Swans won. :(

That was the day after my wedding - April 26.

I got married on Anzac day because it was the only Saturday I could be sure 6 months in advance that we wouldn't be playing.

The we had a turn at our house on the Sunday and watched the footy before going on our honeymoon on the Monday. I even managed to watch the game v Essendon on TV the following week.

LostDoggy
21-01-2009, 03:23 PM
I dont remember not going to the football!!

The Coon Dog
21-01-2009, 03:30 PM
The following season i played in the Footscray Little League, being an 8 year old at the time, needless to say, i was "THAT" really small skinny kid that hid on a wing and hardly got a touch, i think i ended up playing a few games, it wasn't schools selected, it was proper training and a proper team back then, we even got to stand the boundary before the Grand Final that year with the blue & white and brown & gold balloons, i think for memory i was given a North t-shirt.

I played for the little league for 2 seasons back in 1975 & 1976. We used to alternate the captains & I got to captain us against Carlton. Their skipper that day was Peter German, who was a gun way back then.

We used to train on a Sunday morning at the Western Oval & many a time the senior players would be there, not for training, but they had these things called 'Pleasant Sunday Mornings'.

It was great to go to all the other suburban grounds & experience playing on them.

We had to meet half way through the last quarter for away games to catch the bus & beat the traffic. In R21, 1976 we played Fitzroy in the most boring game ever. It was close which is the only good thing I can say. We were on the bus, listening to 3DB when the ball went into our forward line. We were trailing by 5 points when all of a sudden it was off to the studio for a tote update at Bundamba, then dividends from Randwick, race 7 from Caulfield & a preview for the next in Adelaide. The announcer in a very deadpan voice, almost as an afterthought announced that Alan Stoneham marked & kicked a goal after the siren to give Footscray a 1 point win. All us kids on the bus erupted! Scores 4.11.35 to 3.16.34.

Ozza
21-01-2009, 04:06 PM
1988. 5 years old. At the Western Oval versus Brisbane Bears. We won - roughly 11 goals to 5 goals but I don't remember much else other than trying to watch for when Dougie Hawkins would get the ball.

strebla
21-01-2009, 04:30 PM
No idea i had been there a few times before I started to follow Footscray and have been to that many games I simply can't recall.I do however remember the game I became a Doggie it was 1983 Bulldogs Roos Beaser leads out I scream look down and see my Nth scarf take it off and have been a Bulldog ever since.

Twodogs
21-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Teddies last game in 1970 I was six and I spent almost the whole game toboganning down the incline behind the scoreboard on a piece of cardboard.

In later years I can remember waiting for my dad to finish up in the Rising Sun and then walking him home after a game. Him and his mate were trying to steal flowers from someone's front yard in Geelong rd and I can recall that dad's mate fell over the front fence into said yard.

hotdog
21-01-2009, 05:59 PM
On top of a wire fence in the forward pocket in front of the Gent Stand, 1984. We were playing Essendon. I still have the record with Paul Salmon on the front. It was a full house and I remember the gates being locked. Essendon were favourites however I think we put on a show and won. Albert hotel afterwards where we ate chips and drank raspberry lemonade.

Sockeye Salmon
21-01-2009, 06:30 PM
The first game I can remember, I was 7.

I know I'd been to games before, I remember standing on an esky, but this is the first game I can remember things about.

Round: 21, 1972
Venue: Western Oval
Date: 26-Aug-1972
Attendance: 18,117

Footscray 3.1 9.10 13.14 17.21 123
Richmond 10.2 15.4 17.12 18.17 125

Sandilands 5, Bissett 2, Thorpe 2, Pagnoccollo 2, Collins, Dempsey, McGhie, O'Halloran, Quinlan, Stoneham.

All of my family were Footscray supporters except my maternal grandfather who was Richmond. In 1972 Richmond were on their way to a grand final, we were near the bottom, so my grandfather thought if I saw Richmond flog Footscray I would jump on the Tigers for life. By 1/4 time it looked like he was right but the Dogs came back.

When the siren sounded and the underdogs had missed out on coming back from the dead by just two points, I was shattered and any chance my grandfather had of converting me was gone forever.

PS. Look at our 2nd and last quarters - 6-9 & 4-7. If only we'd kicked better.

OLD SCRAGGer
21-01-2009, 07:29 PM
I dont remember not going to the football!!

I don't either, I know I was at the 1954 Grand Final, but was only 2 so I don't remember it:):D

LostDoggy
21-01-2009, 08:31 PM
My first game was some time between 1990 and 1993 against Fitzroy At thw Whitten Oval . I went with my grandfather who was a huge Fitzroy supporter. At the begining of the of the game I was covered in Fitzroy gear that he had brought for me. Although I was claiming to be a bulldogs supporter to annoy my grandfather, I think that sitting near the cheer squad and seeing us beat Fitzroy guaranteed that I would be a bulldog for life.

LostDoggy
21-01-2009, 09:13 PM
I honestly can't remember anything about it, although it would have been around 1997, when I was about 6 and my mum decided that I was old enough to go to the football and sit there and actually watch it. I remember going to games at Optus Oval and the view from our seats, but that's about it.

GVGjr
21-01-2009, 10:45 PM
I am struggling to remember the first game I saw but I think it was against South Melbourne and it was at the Western Oval. I think I was about 7 and we lost.

Happy Days
21-01-2009, 11:04 PM
My first game was against the Eagles in 96. My memory's a little hazy, seeing as I was just four at the time, but I think it was the last game at Whitten Oval.

My dad bought a shirt to commemorate the event, and I'm reminded about a dust up between our boys and Michael Gardiner every time it makes an appearance.

bornadog
22-01-2009, 12:00 AM
Would have been in the 1960's as we lived near the ground and I remember walking to matches and also sitting on my fathers shoulders, but can't say what game. I know we went to all the home games in 1961 - a very good year.

Scraggers
22-01-2009, 03:13 AM
The first one I remember vividly was in 1978 against Fitzroy at the Junction Oval.

The reason I remember this game so well is it was the first time we played against Fitzroy after Bernie Quinlan left Footscray to go to Fitzroy.

I don't remember who was playing (I think Dougie was playing ... and of course Bernie Quinlan); I just remember 'Boo-ing' a lot that day.

If my memory serves me correct we won that day by about 4 or 5 goals

LostDoggy
22-01-2009, 07:22 AM
My first Doggies game would have been the 1985 preliminary final versus Hawthorn, although I have to admit at the time I was 11 and a Cats supporter.
I can't remember detail as such but what I can recall is that the dogs let the hawks get away to a lead which would prove too great, the bulldog faithful were all cheering for a bloke named Grone to come on as if they believed this man was the difference between a win or a loss. Then to fall 10 points short, Leigh Matthews almost single handedly keeping us at bay. Needless to say I have been a proud Bulldog ever since and would not change a thing, also I will never forget 89'.

Sockeye Salmon
22-01-2009, 10:02 AM
My first Doggies game would have been the 1985 preliminary final versus Hawthorn, although I have to admit at the time I was 11 and a Cats supporter.
I can't remember detail as such but what I can recall is that the dogs let the hawks get away to a lead which would prove too great, the bulldog faithful were all cheering for a bloke named Grone to come on as if they believed this man was the difference between a win or a loss. Then to fall 10 points short, Leigh Matthews almost single handedly keeping us at bay. Needless to say I have been a proud Bulldog ever since and would not change a thing, also I will never forget 89'.

Groenewagon? I doubt he'd have made much difference!!!

aker39
22-01-2009, 11:31 AM
My first game was against the Eagles in 96. My memory's a little hazy, seeing as I was just four at the time, but I think it was the last game at Whitten Oval.

My dad bought a shirt to commemorate the event, and I'm reminded about a dust up between our boys and Michael Gardiner every time it makes an appearance.

That was 1997.

I had a very close up view of the Gardiner incident

LostDoggy
22-01-2009, 12:10 PM
I can't quite remember, I know we thought we were going to a dogs game back in June 1996 when we drove past the Whitten oval and realised there was a game about to start and thought we would take the kids, not realising until we got in that it was Fitzroy versus the Swans, still a good game but we had to leave in the third quarter as the kids were too restless (aged, 4, 6 and 8). Looking back I am glad that I got to see Fitroy play as I think it was to be their last year.

The first game would either have been at the G against Essendon who ended up winning by a small margin, I know it was not long after the dust up between Libba and Knights because the Essendon fans were getting into us about that. Or it was a game at the dome against Richmond where we lost.

When the kids got older we joined up as members in 2003, and have become more and more passionate as the years have gone by - unfortunately the oldest is Essendon even though he has been to more Dogs games than Essendon;).

craigsahibee
22-01-2009, 12:26 PM
When the kids got older we joined up as members in 2003, and have become more and more passionate as the years have gone by - unfortunately the oldest is Essendon even though he has been to more Dogs games than Essendon;).

Sounds like a case of bribery is required for this youngster. No birthday or Christmas presents until he repents from the dark side. Leave him locked in the car at family functions, that sort of thing. If that fails to bring him round, selling him on e-bay is a consideration.;)

LostDoggy
22-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Yes, tried everything to turn him - will see how he feels after a couple of years of Essendon down the bottom and the dogs upthe top.

Twodogs
22-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Yes, tried everything to turn him - will see how he feels after a couple of years of Essendon down the bottom and the dogs upthe top.

Not everything. Most of us with family connections would have been threatened with the old "It's Footscray or food" meaning that you were free to barrack for whoever you chose, just dont expect anyone to feed you if you choose the wrong team!

He'll last a few days before seeing the error of his ways.:D

BornInDroopSt'54
22-01-2009, 01:20 PM
A few hazy memories from '59, '60 or '61. The clearest is Freddie Swift, with immaculately groomed Brylcream hair, kicking out after a Footscray miss on goal. It was a beautiful long drop kick that seemed larger than life, and done despite someone yelling at him from the fence behind the goals "Jump on your head Fred". We won. Ian Bryant impressed the 6 yo me with his muscles, and Ted Whitten was a star, taking a speccy and flickpassing it onto someones chest before he hit the ground. Unfortunately it was too fast for the player and it bounced off his chest. I will remeber that even if I get alzheimers. Go Dogs. I remember John Shultz (the embodiment of fairness, when everyone else was whacking the shizenhousen out of each other) at a throw in, using his strength with his large thighs to out manouvre and tap out, probably to Merv Hobbs.
A few other early memories from the Western Oval during those years:
-The peanut man
-The police horses
-The Hyde St band
-Whitten kicking a goal with his left foot (not many could in those days) over his right shoulder, running away from the goals from a long way out.
- In his last game Whitten missing a sitter in the last quarter, then moments later, as if through sheer effort of will, taking a grab near the boudary 60 yards out and threading it with a perfect torp, and the crowd going "aaaahhh" in knowing awe.

Sedat
22-01-2009, 05:11 PM
We had to meet half way through the last quarter for away games to catch the bus & beat the traffic. In R21, 1976 we played Fitzroy in the most boring game ever. It was close which is the only good thing I can say. We were on the bus, listening to 3DB when the ball went into our forward line. We were trailing by 5 points when all of a sudden it was off to the studio for a tote update at Bundamba, then dividends from Randwick, race 7 from Caulfield & a preview for the next in Adelaide. The announcer in a very deadpan voice, almost as an afterthought announced that Alan Stoneham marked & kicked a goal after the siren to give Footscray a 1 point win. All us kids on the bus erupted! Scores 4.11.35 to 3.16.34.
For Footscray and St Kilda supporters in the early 80's, 3DB and 3UZ was about as good as it got. Lost count of the number of times John Vertigan would announce "correct weight at Randwick" or "they've jumped at Harold Park" and interrupt the football commentary.

Happy Days
22-01-2009, 11:55 PM
That was 1997.

Told you my memory was hazy.

The Underdog
23-01-2009, 10:05 AM
That was 1997.

Someone should have stopped it, all those Dogs players picking on the poor young fella ;)

I honestly can't remember my first Dogs game, but my daughter's was in Launceston last year, although she did only last until the 3rd quarter then the wife had to take her for a walk in the pram. Good day nonetheless.

Before I Die
23-01-2009, 11:00 AM
A few hazy memories from '59, '60 or '61. The clearest is Freddie Swift, with immaculately groomed Brylcream hair, kicking out after a Footscray miss on goal. It was a beautiful long drop kick that seemed larger than life, and done despite someone yelling at him from the fence behind the goals "Jump on your head Fred". We won. Ian Bryant impressed the 6 yo me with his muscles, and Ted Whitten was a star, taking a speccy and flickpassing it onto someones chest before he hit the ground. Unfortunately it was too fast for the player and it bounced off his chest. I will remeber that even if I get alzheimers. Go Dogs. I remember John Shultz (the embodiment of fairness, when everyone else was whacking the shizenhousen out of each other) at a throw in, using his strength with his large thighs to out manouvre and tap out, probably to Merv Hobbs.
A few other early memories from the Western Oval during those years:
-The peanut man
-The police horses
-The Hyde St band
-Whitten kicking a goal with his left foot (not many could in those days) over his right shoulder, running away from the goals from a long way out.
- In his last game Whitten missing a sitter in the last quarter, then moments later, as if through sheer effort of will, taking a grab near the boudary 60 yards out and threading it with a perfect torp, and the crowd going "aaaahhh" in knowing awe.

Ahhh, the memories come flooding back. As a little tacker standing in the outer, very little football could be seen. The peanut man with his big hessian bag full of peanuts packed into smaller paper bags, the police horses and collecting bottle tops were generally the day's highlights.

Funnily enough many of my memories from a little later when I was big enough to actually see some of the footy, relate to the atrocious disposal skills of those days. Fred Cook, phenomenal in the air, had no idea where the ball was going off his boot. David Thorpe, opposition players couldn't touch him but he had no hope of hitting a target. Gary Dempsey, brilliant mark on the last line of defence followed by a mongrel punt which went 40 metres along the boundary line.

I also remember a game against St. Kilda when the wind was so strong towards the Geelong Road end that the fullbacks were having tremendous problems getting the ball back into play without it going straight out of bounds. Short passes from the kick out were verboten in those days.

LostDoggy
23-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Coll Vs Footscray 1990 Rd 17 we won by 3 points hooked ever since

Sedat
23-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Coll Vs Footscray 1990 Rd 17 we won by 3 points hooked ever since
"Kolyniuk, will he take him on, I thought he would....that's as good as you'll ever see!"

BornInDroopSt'54
23-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Before I Die
Rookie List
Funnily enough many of my memories from a little later when I was big enough to actually see some of the footy, relate to the atrocious disposal skills of those days. Fred Cook, phenomenal in the air, had no idea where the ball was going off his boot. David Thorpe, opposition players couldn't touch him but he had no hope of hitting a target. Gary Dempsey, brilliant mark on the last line of defence followed by a mongrel punt which went 40 metres along the boundary line.
Yes Before I Die, not much picking out a target as it is now. There was more kicking for distance and there were some mercurial exponents like Quinlan, Dave Darcy and one kickthat stands out in my memory, a torp from the wing that t went forever was David Thorpe. It probably stood out because it wasn't expected. The drop kicks on the run had more penetration than Errol Flynn.

dadsgirl16
23-01-2009, 05:52 PM
I can't pin it down to a particular game either but it would have been early 60's and I too have those
great memories of the peanut man/police horses and collecting bottle tops and also of Dad,normally a very quiet bloke,yelling like a mad man!!(Never got a word out of him at home)
I can remember spending some very wet and windy days in the 70's/80's.

LostDoggy
23-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Rnd 17 2007. Never been a football fan before that, tagged along with a mate.

hujsh
23-01-2009, 11:16 PM

I thought you were a long term supporter who'd seen the club often fail which is why your often so negative.

Funny. I'd have thought it'd make you a WCE supporter.

Truly surprising

Sockeye Salmon
23-01-2009, 11:46 PM

Weren't you the one mouthing off about knowing more about football and the Bulldogs than anyone else in the world?

My 5 yo has seen more footy than you and probably knows more about it too.

LostDoggy
24-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Weren't you the one mouthing off about knowing more about football and the Bulldogs than anyone else in the world?

My 5 yo has seen more footy than you and probably knows more about it too.

Hook line and sinker!! I knew i would get you with that Sockeye. All my life like you and the rest!

ledge
24-01-2009, 11:32 AM
So your 2 years old Jerry?

Rocket Science
24-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Got bugger all chance of recalling my maiden game, but it would've been around '80/'81 and habitually involve the following:

1) Me and my brother stuffing around while getting ready, to the obvious chagrin of the old man who was perennially late for the start of the ressies.
2) Setting a land-speed record over 6 blocks en-route to the ground by foot, only remembering someone had forgotten their scarf/parka/membership ticket once within sight of the first record seller.
3) Barging through the squeaky metal turnstiles at the main entrance before setting up camp with the usual crew of roughnuts on the concrete terraces whereupon being told not to piss off anywhere and get lost.
4) Annoying the old man until he cracked and actively encouraged us to piss off and get lost.
5) Sneaking down the front and climbing all over the green metal runners/emergency umpires box on the wing for a better vantage point.
6) Being told to piss off by the runners/emergency umpires for banging on the box all quarter.
7) Ducking for cover under a hail of 20c pieces when the Hyde Street band ambled past.
8) Going down to the social club to commiserate post-game and catching a glimpse of the wet-haired players post-shower.
9) Heading to the Albert and nursing a creaming soda and packet of chips in the corner while watching further commiserations ensue until stumps.
10) Copping shit at school on Monday from all your Pies/Blues/Tigers/Bombers/Hawks supporting mates.

LostDoggy
24-01-2009, 10:03 PM
I lived in Qld from the late 80s to 2004. There was no such thing as Aussie Rules back then in Queensland, until Brisbane Lions started winning.

My first game I saw live was of course a Bulldogs vs Lions game at 'Gabba. At the height of the Lions powers.

The dogs lost of course and there was one guy who kept yelling out

"UUUUUUUUNLUUUUCKYYYYYY" Everytime the dogs missed a shot for goal.

Melbournites have no idea how lucky they are in terms of getting footy live!

hujsh
24-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Melbournites have no idea how lucky they are in terms of getting footy live!

I struggle to even deal with channel seven delaying the matches. Couldn't live in Sydney/Brisbane.

Scraggers
24-01-2009, 11:23 PM
I struggle to even deal with channel seven delaying the matches. Couldn't live in Sydney/Brisbane.

Try living in WA ... the State is footy mad as long as its Dockers or Weasels ... The only time I hear anything about the Dogs is when one of the two is playing against us ... THAT'S JUST TEASING :mad:

Twodogs
25-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Hook line and sinker!! I knew i would get you with that Sockeye. All my life like you and the rest!

I didnt think it was possible for you to post anything stupider than most of your previous posts. But well done, you upped the ante significantly with this one.

Happy Days
25-01-2009, 08:49 PM

I could've sworn you would have said Rnd 1, 1995, at the G against Richmond...was good of you to make the trip over.

bornadog
26-01-2009, 05:35 PM
I didnt think it was possible for you to post anything stupider than most of your previous posts. But well done, you upped the ante significantly with this one.

He does have a sense of humour:D - surprisingly

Twodogs
29-01-2009, 11:41 AM
He does have a sense of humour:D - surprisingly

He's a marvel!