PDA

View Full Version : Who was your hero?

The Coon Dog
22-01-2009, 12:55 AM
When you were a kid, who was your hero? Who's numbers was on your back & why?

For me it was Peter Welsh in the early 70's. My Mum used to work with Peter's Father at Borthwick's in Brooklyn. I loved putting on my #4 Footscray jumper.

I had a soft spot with Wayne Foreman too. I'd watched him & Sunshine in the VFA before he became a Bulldog & had a jumper with #42 on it.

When duffel coats became all the rage in about 1980 mine had the iron on name of Doug Hawkins & a #7.

LostDoggy
22-01-2009, 02:29 AM
Chris Grant. I started going to the footy at around the same time that he was begging his career. Every weekend I would walk around wearing a number 3 jumper and would only watch Chris and forget about the rest of the game.

Scraggers
22-01-2009, 02:34 AM
For me, it has to be Dougie ... He is the reason I am a Bulldog now !!

When my Dad first came to Australia from England in 1956, he started following Footscray because of the British Bulldog connection and the fact that they were a pretty successful side at that time.

So when I first started showing interest in footy, my Dad took me along to watch the Bullies (circa late 70s)

I had pretty much made up my mind at this young age that I was either going to follow Collingwood or Carlton before I went to these few games ... Dougie's flare and superior skill level put paid to that idea ... I was a Bulldog from that moment on.

Some years later (in my early teens) Dougie and Robbie Flower were doing a school holidays appearance at Knox City ... I went along in all my Bulldog paraphernalia; as I was the only kid there brave enough to wear my team's colours Dougie gave me a red, white and blue rubber footy and some stickers (and other stuff I can't really remember).

He asked me if I went to the games, and I told him I did as often as I could. He told me to come that week and to bring the footy with me. He said to wait outside the change rooms after the game and he would see if he could get me a few autographs.

I've still got that footy, sitting proudly in my office at home; it looks worse for wear (the valve has gone so it has only been blown up by mouth and blu-tack put in the hole to keep it's shape) but it still has Doug Hawkins', Brian Royal's, Steven Wallis', Tony Buhagiar's, Jimmy Sewell's, Allan Daniels', Simon Beasley's, Neil Cordy's, Brad Hardie's, and Rick Kennedy's signature all over it and I love it dearly!!

Not only did i worship him for his footy prowess, he was a damn nice bloke too !!

So despite my convoluted diatribe, the answer is quite simple ... my hero was Doug Hawkins

Desipura
22-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Templeton in the 70s was a drawcard who was a favourite. I then had Jimmy Edmond's number on my Footscray jumper positioned exactly as Jimmy had it. In the mid 80s, I had choco Royals 33 on my Eastcoast jeans training jumper.

strebla
22-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Les Bamblett or Lully as I called him loved him dearly when I was a kid Steve Kolynuik? was another

craigsahibee
22-01-2009, 09:12 AM
Terry Wheeler.

My first Brandella footy jumper had 35 on the back.

It took me a few footy seasons to wear Mum down to allow me to get the iron-on numbers on to the duffle ooat, but eventually the big 35 went on the back of the duffle coat and "Terry Wheeler" in red and blue lettering underneath.

I blame Global Warming for the demise of the duffle coat. Let's start a campaign to get duffle coats back to the footy. I know the club shop and some AFL stores now sell a "duffle coat type" of similar style, but it's more of a polar fleece material and not the heavy 100% wool jobs that we all know and loved (at least me anyway).

Ozza
22-01-2009, 10:39 AM
As a young kid I had number 7 on my back for Dougie Hawkins. But Chris Grant would have to be my hero player. I was 7 when he played his fist game - and grew up watching him.

When he first played - having a good full forward like most of the other clubs was pretty important to me - and when he kicked 4 against Sydney in his second game I was ecstatic. I think he kicked 6 against the bears later that year - and I'd never seen anyone for the bulldogs kick that many before!

Got Granty's autograph in his fist few years too many times to remember - and after the last game of the 96 season went into the rooms after we'd lost to Essendon - and I told him he'd get 3 votes from that game and win the brownlow. If only.

Cyberdoggie
22-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I had the 31 on the back first, then i moved to number 7 for Doug.

soupman
22-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Well I've only really worn two numbers, 15 from around 98-04 (Wynd and Power), and 16 from 06-now (Griffen), but my favourite player changes frequently.

Originally it was Dougie Hawkins, then Simon Minton Connell, then Wynd briefly, then Kretiuk. The it was a bit iffy until Griffen played that great game vs Geelong on Ablett, and since then Minson and Harbrow have also featured, with Cooney probably being my favourite last year, mainly due to having a Brownlow investment on him.

Currently it would be out of the following though: Harbrow, Griffen, Cooney, Reid, Cross, Boyd and Tommygun.

Axe Man
22-01-2009, 01:05 PM
I had the number 18 on my back as a young kid for Simon "The Pieman" Beasley. It had the long sleeves and all. I guess I just liked him because he kicked so many goals.

After that I never bothered to put numbers on my jumpers.

My heroes as a kid (other than Beaser) would have been Dougie, Libba and Grant. I will always have a soft spot for Libba for getting so much out of himself with no height, pace or great skill (which pretty much describes me as a player, other than being a bit quicker than Libba:o).

Twodogs
22-01-2009, 01:06 PM
The first ever number I had on my own jumper was Gary Dempsey's 24. Before that I had a hand me down from a cousin that had # 3 on the back. When I was old enough to chose Kelvin Templeton was Footscray and he was everyone's hero.

My fist duffle coat however had micky Egan's # 10 on it. Megan played at the same cricket club I did.

LostDoggy
22-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Growing up in the 90s it was Chris Grant and Libba. Loved libbas footy for such a little bloke, and Chris Grant is a true champion in my eyes

Almost cried when Chris didnt get his brownlow, And almost cried when Libba "clawed Knights eye" because so many people had a go at my team haha

LostDoggy
22-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Being older than the current crop of players, my days of looking at footy players as superhero's are well and truly over. To me they are just kids now, whilst I can appreciate and love their skill of the game, I can't connect with the hor thing like I could when I was a kid!

As I was growing up, however, I had 3 heros.

Doug Hawkins: I came from sydney @ the age of 7 and I didn't understand the game but all I remember was watching this number 7 move like a ballerina with the ball on a string. I was hooked.

Steve Wallis: One of the hardest, most underated and uncomprimising backmen of my time. He wasn't a big man, but good god he had a heart like a lion and when he hit you, you stayed hit. A loyal clubman and a warrior that each team member felt safe with going out to war.

Chris Grant: Without this man our club would of dissolved in 96. He was the most talented of the lot & our saviour, carrying the club on his back throughout his career.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Well I've only really worn two numbers, 15 from around 98-04 (Wynd and Power), and 16 from 06-now (Griffen), but my favourite player changes frequently.

Originally it was Dougie Hawkins, then Simon Minton Connell, then Wynd briefly, then Kretiuk. The it was a bit iffy until Griffen played that great game vs Geelong on Ablett, and since then Minson and Harbrow have also featured, with Cooney probably being my favourite last year, mainly due to having a Brownlow investment on him.

Currently it would be out of the following though: Harbrow, Griffen, Cooney, Reid, Cross, Boyd and Tommygun.

I'm interested to know how you know Reid well enough to already have him as a favourite, you must have seen something promising?

hujsh
22-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Well i had the number 3 but Mum wouldn't put it on my jumper for me:mad:

Was shattered when he did his knee in round one after getting married. (think it was about that time)

bornadog
22-01-2009, 02:03 PM
When I was growing up I loved my Teddy Whitten boots and had the no. 3 on the back.

in the 1970's as a teenager, I loved Dempsey, and then Templeton.

bulldog
22-01-2009, 02:45 PM
For me it is Chris Grant wow what a player cant believe when everyone talks about Buckley Voss Hird Carey no one ever mentions Granty.I had the great pleasure to have the great mans company one night at a function and he is an absolute superstar of a person.
Current Fav is Ryan Griffen.My top 5 of all time are 1.Grant2.Hawkins.3.West.4Johnson.5.Wynd

craigsahibee
22-01-2009, 02:49 PM
For me it is Chris Grant wow what a player cant believe when everyone talks about Buckley Voss Hird Carey no one ever mentions Granty.I had the great pleasure to have the great mans company one night at a function and he is an absolute superstar of a person.
Current Fav is Ryan Griffen.My top 5 of all time are 1.Grant2.Hawkins.3.West.4Johnson.5.Wynd

That is a handy Top 5 no matter which team you follow. 4 300 gamers and a Brownlow Medallist. Special

mighty_west
22-01-2009, 03:58 PM
I had the number 31 on my duffel coat, Templeton & Jennings were my favourites as a kid, i remember a mate of mind that lived down the street who somehow scored himself a Geoff Jennings number 25 playing jumper, needless to say it was a bout 5 sizes too big, but i jealous as all hell!!!

Dougie & Beasley in the 80's, Chris Grant the 90's, my hero today and have followed his career since watching the number 35 run around for West Adelaide is Coons.

soupman
22-01-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm interested to know how you know Reid well enough to already have him as a favourite, you must have seen something promising?

I dunno. I've barely seen him play at all, but just reckon he looks awesome from the bits I have seen, and have full faith he'll be a very good player.

LostDoggy
22-01-2009, 07:12 PM
I dunno. I've barely seen him play at all, but just reckon he looks awesome from the bits I have seen, and have full faith he'll be a very good player.

You've seen his bits?

ledge
22-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Ia lways had the number 7, Ray Huppatz i think was my first favourite but 7 has never let me down since.

bornadog
22-01-2009, 08:08 PM
My daughter started with the no. three, for the great man Chris Grant. As she got older and he retired she switched to 25.

LostDoggy
22-01-2009, 08:10 PM
My daughter started with the no. three, for the great man Chris Grant. As she got older and he retired she switched to 25.

Yes a lot of the young ladies like Shaggy Hargrave

Mofra
22-01-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm shocked to find the thread got this far and I'm the first to nominate no 8 - Rick Kennedy!

Through the years I've kind of had a soft spot for our no 8's as a tough number - besides Tits Kennedy we had Matty Dent, Bernard Toohey, Daniel (not Danny) Southern and now Mitch Hahn. Nice legacy to have.

camwightisagun
22-01-2009, 09:32 PM
okies so my hero during school was Mitchie Hahn :) done school assignments on him and everything

Sockeye Salmon
22-01-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm shocked to find the thread got this far and I'm the first to nominate no 8 - Rick Kennedy!

Through the years I've kind of had a soft spot for our no 8's as a tough number - besides Tits Kennedy we had Matty Dent, Bernard Toohey, Daniel (not Danny) Southern and now Mitch Hahn. Nice legacy to have.

The Phsyco Chicken wore 21

In the Gardiner game at WO, when the big blue started the Chicken landed the best roundhouse right on the point of Jason Ball's chin - and got away with it.

hujsh
22-01-2009, 11:54 PM
okies so my hero during school was Mitchie Hahn :) done school assignments on him and everything

Shit if i went to your school I'd dominate if i could report on Bulldogs events

LostDoggy
23-01-2009, 02:01 AM
Mmm a tie between Chris Grant and Libba. Loved Granty, for the generous, talented unassuming person that he is, and I too get annoyed when commentators only comment on Bucks, Hird, Archer etc - when Chris belongs in that group of elite players.

Libba epitomised the spirit of the bulldogs, playing on an uneven playing field through his lack of height, yet being an absolute fighter who would never throw in the towel.

The Underdog
23-01-2009, 10:22 AM
As a kid my heroes came from somewhere else but my favourite superhero was Batman.
In that way Scott West became my Bulldog hero, an ordinary man with no innate superpowers and a dark side, using his drive and will to be more than ordinary and to defeat evil (or Carlton).

Am I drawing too long a bow?

Before I Die
23-01-2009, 11:41 AM
John Jillard and Ian Bryant, then a little later David Thorpe.

Happy Days
23-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Gotta be Chrissy Grant. Everything he did, from how he played, to how he handled himself in some dark periods (i.e: 1997 Brownlow), was something to be admired.

Twodogs
23-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Am I drawing too long a bow?

Not at all it's a great analogy.

Dark knights fascinate me and it never occured to me how much of a DK Scooter was.

bornadog
23-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Yes a lot of the young ladies like Shaggy Hargrave

That is the reason she went for him:D

ledge
24-01-2009, 01:34 PM
John Jillard and Ian Bryant, then a little later David Thorpe.

Ian was a plumber at the council for years, he used to fix any of my ex mum in laws problems, he must have retired by now though.

Mofra
24-01-2009, 02:54 PM
The Phsyco Chicken wore 21

In the Gardiner game at WO, when the big blue started the Chicken landed the best roundhouse right on the point of Jason Ball's chin - and got away with it.
I stand corrected. Was still a fan though; pound for pound he was one tough hombre

Mofra
24-01-2009, 02:55 PM
My wife's favourite player too Mof.
Was going to say "what impeccable taste she has" but, well, you know....

LostDoggy
24-01-2009, 03:46 PM
s a kid/adolescent/adult- Bernie Quinlan, Gary Dempsey, Kelvin Templeton ( an absolute superstar until the knee thing-saw him kick 15.9 against St.Kilda from CHF), Mocca Dunstan (a very eccentric but effective footballer in the same way Simon Atkins was ), Dougie ( who would mark everything from a kickout ), Rick Kennedy- remember standing behind the goals at WO against St.Kilda- him elbowing Lockett in the ribs, and almost murdered by Plugger in retaliation). Chris Grant- obviously! He was the true "King" of that period of footy- these days Murphy- a celtic wizard/druid with the ball, Brian Lake (severely underestimated as an "intellectual" footballer IMO).

LostDoggy
24-01-2009, 04:27 PM
The first jumper I got (for Christmas) had number 7 on it for Westy, but I had quite a few 'favourites'. Jose Romero, Craig Ellis, Matthew Croft and Libba were probably my favourites amongst the obvious ones of West, Grant and Wynd. When I think about, I loved the team we had back then because they pulled off some really amazing wins and were always battling.

The Pie Man
24-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Being older than the current crop of players, my days of looking at footy players as superhero's are well and truly over. To me they are just kids now, whilst I can appreciate and love their skill of the game, I can't connect with the hor thing like I could when I was a kid!

As I was growing up, however, I had 3 heros.

Doug Hawkins: I came from sydney @ the age of 7 and I didn't understand the game but all I remember was watching this number 7 move like a ballerina with the ball on a string. I was hooked.

Steve Wallis: One of the hardest, most underated and uncomprimising backmen of my time. He wasn't a big man, but good god he had a heart like a lion and when he hit you, you stayed hit. A loyal clubman and a warrior that each team member felt safe with going out to war.

Chris Grant: Without this man our club would of dissolved in 96. He was the most talented of the lot & our saviour, carrying the club on his back throughout his career.

I'm with you on those 3 - I remember being 8 YO and feeling so flat when Hawk did his knee against Collingwood (recall standing in the upper sections of the old Southern Stand for that one) Steve Wallis is someone I remember more the older I get, so reliable and tough. I still remember seeing Grant & Leon Cameron's first game, disappointing result that day but I was very excited for our future with those two.

I hated both Romero & Paul Hudson until they came to Footscray, in particular I loved watching Hudson thread goals from Akermanis type impossible angles. I loved 97

If Nathan Brown hadn't of left I'd suggest he'd still be my favourite current player - I liken it to Rooney leaving Everton (which I laugh at as I'm a Liverpool fan) I remember seeing a woman at Goodison Park wearing a t-shirt saying something like 'We hate you so much because we loved you so much'

Today's heroes - Murphy, Griffen, Gilbee

ledge
24-01-2009, 09:37 PM
I remember Leon Cameron as a kid being looked after by Super Mac with possesion and the physical side, Leon would run wide on a wing and Mac would ping it out to him every chance he got.
The days just before major tagging became a big thing.

Rocket Science
24-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Indeed...Must also confess to a soft spot for Leon. Smooth-moving colt with deft touch, and by crikey when he got onto one with that left foot...wow. A real forerunner to Gilbee's long-range bombs.

Hero-wise...

1) The Hawk: Everyone loved the Hawk, and everyone loved it when the Hawk got his hands on the footy.
2) Stevie Mac: Always flew the flag with gusto, and could actually play a bit off half-forward. We might've lost more than we won for a while there, but Super always reminded we weren't going to take any shit, especially at home. Made ya proud as a pup.
3) Magic McLean: Tireless workhorse up and down the 'other' wing. Loved his dash and shoulder-to-the-wheel attitude. Was crushed when he moved on.

LostDoggy
24-01-2009, 11:09 PM
I had a number 3 for Chris Grant on my back. Nowadays I don't have a number but if I did it would be either #16 or #20. I hope Josh Hill turns out good because I talked him up a lot last year and everyone keeps reminding me about it.

KT31
25-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Chris Grant. I started going to the footy at around the same time that he was begging his career. Every weekend I would walk around wearing a number 3 jumper and would only watch Chris and forget about the rest of the game.

Don't see "The Rolls" ever begging for anything.

OLD SCRAGGer
25-01-2009, 04:07 PM
From childhood to mid teens it was the GREATEST EVER in EJ Whitten. had his number on my duffle coat. Also loved Ian "The Rat" Bryant, I remember him even bringing his dog CHAMP (Boxer dog) to the footy, and the days when they had player Tug-O-War on World of Sport Ian would take Champ with him and the dog would barrack ... It was hillarious:D:D

LostDoggy
25-01-2009, 09:43 PM
Scott Wynd originally so mobile and dominant.

Grant Smith West Johno

Now Cooney n Griff

Future...? Higgo?

micka bulldog
26-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Brian Lake for me. Chris Grant a champion.

LostDoggy
27-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Never really into the whole number thing. My Dad tried to convince me on Dougie but I always liked the more obscure so my hero growing up was Matthew Mansfield. Met him a few times in my early teens, tassie boy never quite made it. I remember he got a decent broken arm as far as I can recall and wore an arm guard in a few games (mostly ressies I think). If only?

GVGjr
27-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Never really into the whole number thing. My Dad tried to convince me on Dougie but I always liked the more obscure so my hero growing up was Matthew Mansfield. Met him a few times in my early teens, tassie boy never quite made it. I remember he got a decent broken arm as far as I can recall and wore an arm guard in a few games (mostly ressies I think). If only?

He really frustrated me as a player. He had a nice left foot kick but at times he just coasted around and he rarely busted a gut trying to run off his opponent.

LostDoggy
28-01-2009, 09:58 AM
He really frustrated me as a player. He had a nice left foot kick but at times he just coasted around and he rarely busted a gut trying to run off his opponent.

Yeah, you're probably right GVGjr. I didn't watch the games as close back then. Still he was a nice bloke nonetheless.

always right
28-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Through the years;

Laurie Sandilands
Kelvin Templeton
Terry Wheeler
Rick Kennedy
Doug Hawkins
Chris Grant
Brad Johnson
Daniel Cross and Dylan Addison

angelopetraglia
31-01-2009, 05:37 PM
When I first started going to the football, my idols were;

Doug Hawkins
Brian Royal
Angelo Petraglia

I think I had a soft spot for mullets!

My first footy jumper had a #7 for Dougie and it stayed there until he retired. Just loved the Hawk.

The Coon Dog
31-01-2009, 06:09 PM
When I first started going to the football, my idols were;

Doug Hawkins
Brian Royal
Angelo Petraglia

I think I had a soft spot for mullets!

My first footy jumper had a #7 for Dougie and it stayed there until he retired. Just loved the Hawk.

Funny, Angelo Petraglia, wore #38, then changed to #5, then reverted baxck to #38 again.

angelopetraglia
31-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Funny, Angelo Petraglia, wore #38, then changed to #5, then reverted baxck to #38 again.

I never knew that.

Why the change of jumpers?

I could see how he could have been rewarded by getting number #5 from number #38, but why back to number #38?

Was it a Jeff Farmer scenario where he was trying to recapture some form (i.e. the lucky jumper)?

Remi Moses
01-02-2009, 01:42 AM
Blimey had a few
Dempsey- Guttered 10 y/o when he left. Didn't get to play in his ''premiership team'':D
Grant- Need I elaborate. What an ornament to the sport
Jock Edmond- See Dempsey above. Myself and a couple of mates made our feelings known in the 86 fixture in Sydney with a sign. Big mistake leaving
Doug Hawkins- Did things on the field nobody else could do

LostDoggy
01-02-2009, 12:34 PM
As a kid I absolutely LOVED Libba. I think it was because he was a midget, something we both had in common. I just loved watching him, and when I went to hs last game, we made a big sign for him, and he smiled and waved at us. That cemented his "favourite player" position for me. He started my hatred of Richmond too (with the whole Knights thing).

I liked Darce a couple of years later.

Now it's between Harbrow, Lake and Shags. Oh and Minson. His aggression is hilarious. Lake became a favourite when he rubbed Nathan Browns face in the dirt. Ahhhh, good times.

LostDoggy
01-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Probably sound like a broken record but #7 for the Hawk and then #3 for Granty.

The Pie Man
01-02-2009, 06:19 PM
I've realised it's probably a little strange given my name on this forum that I haven't mentioned Simon Beasley - who was the last 100 a season Dog before Beaser in 85?

Now in trouble over (alleged) dodgy betting practises I see.

Mark West became a brief favourite of mine late 97, his last kick of that year notwithstanding.

LostDoggy
01-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Billy the Kid & Bubba.

Sockeye Salmon
01-02-2009, 07:30 PM
I've realised it's probably a little strange given my name on this forum that I haven't mentioned Simon Beasley - who was the last 100 a season Dog before Beaser in 85?

Now in trouble over (alleged) dodgy betting practises I see.

Mark West became a brief favourite of mine late 97, his last kick of that year notwithstanding.

KT.

The Pie Man
01-02-2009, 11:01 PM
KT.

From what my old man tells me about Templeton, I'm spewin I was too young to see him play.

Sockeye Salmon
01-02-2009, 11:39 PM
From what my old man tells me about Templeton, I'm spewin I was too young to see him play.

You should be.

Templeton was verything Carey was and more - the only difference was that Templeton's knee was shot by the time he was 23. Man, oh man, what might have been.

Imagine a guy who kicked 118 as a FF.
Then kicked 90 as a CHF.
Then won a Brownlow as a CHF.

All before he was 23.

He kicked 5 as a 17yo and got dropped the next week (for the finals). Must have been a very good player that had to be squeezed back into the side.

BulldogBelle
02-02-2009, 02:17 AM
The only number I have had on my jumper was Gary Dempsey's, my first fave player.
I never saw EJ play but he was a hero.
But Granty would be my #1 Dogs hero.
Beasley was great to watch and a big part of 85 being a magic year - I used to follow him from one end to the other.
Others were Fossie, Kritter, Cookie, Peter Welsh, KT.......

Twodogs
02-02-2009, 12:41 PM

KT would have been the greatest player ever but for that knee injury.

ledge
02-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Ive always looked at his knee injury as club being nieve at the time.
I mean i watched him from a skinny kid , turn into one huge unit, thus the knee went because of the weight he put on.
Nowadays, because of lessons learnt and better knowledge of what changing body mass can do, i dont think Kelvin would have had the injury to start with.
Kelvin was around just as the sport started to get proffessional, so clubs did anything to get an edge, build was a major starting point.
Injury consequences werent known until they happened.

Twodogs
02-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Ive always looked at his knee injury as club being nieve at the time.
I mean i watched him from a skinny kid , turn into one huge unit, thus the knee went because of the weight he put on.
Nowadays, because of lessons learnt and better knowledge of what changing body mass can do, i dont think Kelvin would have had the injury to start with.
Kelvin was around just as the sport started to get proffessional, so clubs did anything to get an edge, build was a major starting point.
Injury consequences werent known until they happened.

The Melbourne player falling across his knee had a bit to do with it too.

KT31
07-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Quinlan and the Squirrel while young,
But the first player I worshipped was KT.
Crushed when he left (took me years to recover..),
Later I found the Hawk and Super.
Also liked Geoff Jennings and Purser.
And who could forget The Pieman.
Later on Bubba and undisputabley the one of the best and loyalest player ever Chris Grant.