PDA

View Full Version : Current Player Profiles: Brad Johnson

Go_Dogs
18-03-2007, 06:50 PM
http://prod.www.westernbulldogs.cfour.com.au/portals/0/images/players/013594ai.jpg

Brad Johnson:

What can we say about the smiling assassin? He just continues to amaze. Last year was without doubt, Johnson's best year to date. The fact that he is entering the prime of his career at this stage - especially given how good of a player he has always been - says so much about his ability. He was transformed into a key forward last year, and did a tremendous job, ending up with 74 goals for the year, leading our contested marks, and kicks. His leadership on the field and ability to win games off his own boot were highlights of his year. Johnson is such a versatile player, his ability to play forward as well as further up the field is so important, and expect him to play more roles in the midfield this year as we get players like Murphy and Darcy back who can pick up some of the slack in the forward line.

Johnson's ability to use his body strength and positioning to take contested marks is second to none, and his ability to slot important goals was also outstanding last season. Age hasn't had any effect on the man yet, and he will again be one of our most important players. If we are to genuinely challenge for a premiership this year, Johnson has to again be a star player. He needs to kick goals, take marks and help out the younger players with his intelligence and ability to read the play. It was just reward for him last season to be named the AA captain, and I think he'll continue to blossom as a leader and relish the responsibility again this season. He's a bulldog through and through, and I can't wait to see what miraculous improvements he somehow manages to make to his game this coming season.

LostDoggy
18-03-2007, 08:08 PM
These player profile threads are very good and it's nice to log on and have read.
The smiling assassin is a great name for him. He is very happy go lucky but he is an intense type on the field. The whole DFA speech shows that he is extremely passionate when he crosses the white line. He is the strongest one grab mark I have seen and really he doesn't appear to have lost his pace. He plays out of position because I think he would be more highly regarded if he was on a flank or if he spent more time in the midfield.

I hope he has another blinding season.

Go_Dogs
18-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks for your kind words. I agree w/ you re: more time in the midfield.

southerncross
18-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Given that we have a pretty good midfield we can afford to leave him in the forward set-up. He just adapts to whatever task he is given but at the moment I don't thing anyone else could cover the goals that he kicks.

firstdogonthemoon
19-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Watching Johnno get away from guys is one of my favourite things about going to games. Seeing him bamboozle defenders is simply one of lifes great pleasures.

Go_Dogs
19-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Given that we have a pretty good midfield we can afford to leave him in the forward set-up. He just adapts to whatever task he is given but at the moment I don't thing anyone else could cover the goals that he kicks.

Very true, however I feel that even playing Johnson for perhaps 2 or 3 5 minute bursts through the midfield would add a lot to our ability to win clearances and dominate around the contested ball a bit more. Johnson could still kick 4+ goals a game spending more time in the centre I feel, and I'm quite keen to see players such as Akermanis, Cooney, Higgins and Giansiracusa spend more time forward this year too.

I guess that is the problem with Johnson, he's so versatile and has so many strength's it's a bit difficult to pin point exactly where he gives us the most value. But I tend to agree that he will spend the majority of his time forward kicking goals.

southerncross
06-04-2007, 07:50 AM
After Brad's great game against the Cats I thought I should add a few more thoughts on him.
I first saw playing for the Western Jets. He was a fast winger/forward running around and he kicked a bag of goals in one of the finals that year. Since we selected him as the local boy I have always thought that the Dogs haven't made the most of selecting players from our own backyard.

Johnson was drafted at number 11 in the 1994 draft and this was the first televised draft if my memory serves me correctly.
This was also a strong draft when you consider the like of Darren Gaspar (1) Nigel Lappin (2) Justin Murphy (3) and Chris Johnson (6) were kicking around as well. I was suprised that Johnson lasted until our pick though.

Three things really stood out for me during this coverage.
1) The commentators being completely stunned when the Saints selected Bulldogs reject Michael Frost with the number 8 selection.
2) The beaming face of Johnson when he realised that he didn't have to travel far. This is the same beaming look that he often displays.
3) The stunned look on Fraser Gehrig's face when he realised that he was off to West Coast.

I can also remember the first time Johnson played for the Dogs as it was at the then Western Oval against the Pies and he was matched up against Mark Fraser. Fraser put him under no physical pressure and Johnsons career was now well on the way.

Johnson has never disappointed me as a player and he is right up there with the best players I have ever seen at the club.

BulldogBelle
06-04-2007, 10:47 AM
A truly remarkable player who is the complete package and finally the outside world away from the Bulldog loop is recognising him and his worth - which we have witnessed right throughout his career - Johnno a true champion.

dog town
07-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Very true, however I feel that even playing Johnson for perhaps 2 or 3 5 minute bursts through the midfield would add a lot to our ability to win clearances and dominate around the contested ball a bit more. Johnson could still kick 4+ goals a game spending more time in the centre I feel, and I'm quite keen to see players such as Akermanis, Cooney, Higgins and Giansiracusa spend more time forward this year too.

I guess that is the problem with Johnson, he's so versatile and has so many strength's it's a bit difficult to pin point exactly where he gives us the most value. But I tend to agree that he will spend the majority of his time forward kicking goals.
Eade has said that he will play much more midfield and half forward this season.

Last week at the game after he didn't see Aker in the square and blazed (I reckon he saw him) one of my mates commented that he has always been pretty hungry around goals. I said that I think thats just part of what makes him such a a good player. Always backs himself in and likes to have the ball in his hands. His hunger for goals/kicks and just to be generally involved in every passage of play is part of what makes him so great.

Just another obvservation but I think the push in the back rule might stop him from getting a career high number of goals this year. He is as good as anyone at nudging out an opponent and because of the speed he and his opponent have to lead up at the ball it means he has always been good at pushing players under the ball. I dont think the new rule will allow him to do this as easily.

Can anyone think of many players who have consistently had the better of him? I can think of guys who have a good record against him but none that have consistently beaten him. Always bobs up with a solid performance because of his versatility. Cam Bruce plays him pretty well and I think Max Hudghton plays him well as a defender.

Twodogs
07-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Watching Johnno get away from guys is one of my favourite things about going to games. Seeing him bamboozle defenders is simply one of lifes great pleasures.

You'd have loved Les Bamblett then. He made almost every player in the VFL look foolish.

BulldogBelle
07-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Great player, great clubman, great person, great everything and in great career form - just another role model figure we have at the Bulldogs. No wonder Aker and McDougall chose to come to our club!

His smile is infectious and for us female bulldog supporters (and maybe for some males) it definitely brightens up our day!

alwaysadog
07-04-2007, 10:09 PM
I can also remember the first time Johnson played for the Dogs as it was at the then Western Oval against the Pies and he was matched up against Mark Fraser. Fraser put him under no physical pressure and Johnsons career was now well on the way.

Johnson has never disappointed me as a player and he is right up there with the best players I have ever seen at the club.

About 4 weeks ago WWbiscuit and I had a couple of hours to kill before we had to go back to work so we ended up at my place going through the videos in my vault. First we looked at Dougies record breaker and on the same tape was the next week's game against the Pies; Tony Shaw's record breaker, and straight away WWB says "This is Johnson's first game." and we watched him running away from Fraser or tackling him. That's what he's kept doing.

I've always loved Johno, because of the way he plays the game but also because every year he improves. Age should be slowing him but last year was his best yet. His standing in the game is second to none.

People want to change what he's doing, but I can't see the logic in it. I know that the current theory is that your best players must play in the mid field, but can you beat 70+ goals as a small forward, the AA captaincy.

If we move Johno who is going to kick that number of goals? All we would be doing is taking away from a strength to cover a weakness short term, clearances I suppose are what makes some desire to shift him, but we have to look for a longer term fix there.

Evenutally we will have to think about how to best use him as his pace slows or reacts less sharply, but till that time comes don't let's fix what ain't broken.