PDA

View Full Version : Training 23/1

The Bulldogs Bite
23-01-2009, 02:54 PM
I ventured down to the Whitten Oval today, and it was a great day for training. Conditions were perfect - a little hot, but as a player, you thrive in these kinds of conditions. It's really what builds up the fitness base, so I'm sure they would of been doing it tough, but enjoying it at the same time. It was very difficult to spot the players though, the sun and the distance made it tough, but here's what I noticed.

* Reid, Shaw, Murphy, Cooney and a few others predominately ran laps. Reid looks in fantastic shape - you'd swear he wasn't a second year player. He looks extremely fit and has bulked up considerably. I will definitely be watching his progress closely throughout the year. Murphy seemed to be running pretty well too, which is a good sign. Cooney looks strong and Gia, who really did bust a gut, looked very fit also.

* It seems like a broken record, but the way Cross works is admirable. He was one of the very last one's off the track, still practicing kicking for goal when I left. He has tremendous courage, he took a couple of strong marks today - an area of his game that doesn't recieve as much credit as it should. This bloke leads from the front.

* Harbrow impresses me every single time I get down to training. His work ethic is fantastic, he really puts in 110% and it shows. Absolutely no wonder why Eade loves everything about the guy, he's exciting to watch. In the match simulation, he used his pace a number of times to great effect. He worked really hard too, following up his good work with second and third efforts. I wouldn't be surprised to see Harbrow play in the midfield this year for periods of the game, because he looked pretty comfortable in and around the packs. He's a smart footballer and his skills have dramatically improved. Really liking the signs for '09 for Harbrow.

* Stack is a really good size, and I thought he did OK too. At times he can look a little relaxed, but he does seem to have that 'extra gear' when he needs it to break away from a pack. He wasn't outstanding, by he continues to show glimpses of real quality.

* Hill has carried on from last season, he really is developing into a good footballer. Like Harbrow, he worked pretty hard in the match simulation, following up his efforts and getting really involved in the game. One of the most impressive things about Hill is his ability to execute the one percenters - we know he can jump, mark, run and kick - but he constantly shows a desire for the defensive game too, by either chasing, tackling or smothering.

* Picken was one of the best in the match simulation - he works very, very hard. My dad made a passing comment that I thought was very true. He reminds us of Cross & Morris, with his work ethic. He doesn't have the best skills, he's not the fastest guy around, but he puts himself in the right positions and seems to follow the path of the ball. He helped set up the play through the midfield quite well. I must admit to having question marks over him a few months ago, but he looks like a worthy selection - so far, so good.

* Grant/Cordy didn't get a lot of it, but I still think the signs are good. They both are very quick, something that will hold them in good stead when they do make the transition to AFL football. They're also both good at ground level and have clean hands. It would take some effort for Grant to play 5-10 games, but the signs for the future are promissing. Roughead looked OK too, though he eventually went off with some sort of injury?

* Ward is a classy footballer, he moves well, has bulked up, has sure hands, a good football brain and great skills. No doubt he'll be pushing to play 15+ games. Addison wasn't too bad either, he was moving well and was prepared to get down in the clinches and fire the ball out.

* O'Shea looks to have improved, he didn't take the game by storm by any means, but he simply looked a lot more confident and assured in what it was he was doing. Hopefully he can translate this into some solid VFL form.

* Gia wore a fluro vest to separate himself from the rest of the players in the match, giving him the right not to be tackled to protect the elbow. Nevertheless, he still worked really hard. I was quite impressed with how he went about it. He didn't just go through the motions, he did some gut busting running and really got involved.

* Higgins looks a gem. He has bulked up, he looks a fantastic size for AFL Football now. Atop of that, he looks very fit, he's moving really well on top of the ground. His hands are so clean, he never fumbles, and he was prepared to carry the football. It was a great sight to see, especially with his great foot skills. It's already been well documented, but he looks set for a top season.

* Williams & Hahn did not participate in the match simulation.

... If I can remember anything else, I'll add to it. I'm sure a couple of others went down too. Overall, the side looks quite promissing. It seems there's a few of the younger types ready to stand up, which will only make us stronger. The squad is in good spirits, but I guess every team is flying at this time of the year.

hujsh
23-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Loke was there practicing and having some pics taken.

Kicking action isn't very smooth but does at least get it to spin the right way. Like watching a giant schoolboy learning the game. He'll be interesting to watch.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Oh, a couple more things.

* The Fiji experiment is a waste. I congratulate the club for trying to think out of the square, but really - this is hopeless. No offense to the kid at all, he's only 16, but he can't even handball two meters. I understand he's coming from literally ground zero - but what's the point? I'd MUCH rather put money into developing a player that has the skills but either needs specific coaching or whatever. For mine, this just seems like tattslotto. 'Attempting' to unearth a footballer from nothing. At this professional level, I would like to think there's better resources to establishing talent that hasn't been recognised as opposed to this. Good Luck to the kid, anyway..

* Jamason seems to get a bit of the ball, and he attacks it well, but his skills let him down. They're not the worst going around, but it just seems to un-do any of his good work. That, and his decision making is poor. He does have pace though and isn't afraid to go in, so hopefully he's something to work with.

* Lynch has been much maligned over the past year, but he did well today. Again, like a few others, he wasn't outstanding, he didn't set the ground on fire, but what he did do was pretty neat. There was a period in the game where he used his pace, very clean hands, agility and skill all in the one play to set up an opportunity at goal. It was pretty impressive, very much Aaron Davey like - so hopefully he can keep improving and push for senior selection this year.

Go_Dogs
23-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the report, good read.

mighty_west
23-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Excellent report there TBB, for those of us that can never get to watch the guys at training, very much appreciated mate.

bulldogtragic
23-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Great report and some very good signs for the year ahead. Our mids look to be getting stronger while one could argue our talls are still stagnating.

Templeton31
23-01-2009, 05:50 PM
top report.

strebla
23-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Great report TBB thanks mate

azabob
23-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Great report and some very good signs for the year ahead. Our mids look to be getting stronger while one could argue our talls are still stagnating.

I'm unsure how you can say our talls are still stagnating? Which players do you think should be pushing for senior selection that are not?
When reality is the younger taller players have only been in the system a year or so. Grant was injured majority of last year, Everitt is only begining his 3rd year, Williams is ready to play AFL if he can get fit, Boumann is still only a 30/70 chance to make it which was indicated by the number he was drafted and is only his second year in the system. If anything they a progressing just like the midfielders. All reports is that O'Shea is also making small steps.

bulldogtragic
23-01-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm unsure how you can say our talls are still stagnating? Which players do you think should be pushing for senior selection that are not?
When reality is the younger taller players have only been in the system a year or so. Grant was injured majority of last year, Everitt is only begining his 3rd year, Williams is ready to play AFL if he can get fit, Boumann is still only a 30/70 chance to make it which was indicated by the number he was drafted and is only his second year in the system. If anything they a progressing just like the midfielders. All reports is that O'Shea is also making small steps.
Probably poor wording on my part. I was suggesting one could argue our mids are improving and look more impressive, and although our young talls need time to develop, they don't look likely to tear 2009 apart and thus there are still issues with talls. But that comes back to recruiting and some talls that didn't work out as we had planned. Our mids sound in great nick and seem ready to tear 2009 apart, and i hope we can sort out the issues a lack of quality tall targets posed for us in the finals series.

GVGjr
23-01-2009, 09:18 PM
TBB, any updates on Mulligan, Shaw, Boumann, O'Keeffe and Wood?

The Bulldogs Bite
23-01-2009, 09:40 PM
TBB, any updates on Mulligan, Shaw, Boumann, O'Keeffe and Wood?

Shaw was running laps. He looks as though he has added some size to his frame though.

From what I could see, Boumann didn't participate in the match simulation either. Seemed to be still apart of the rehab group, although I didn't really spot him running. I only saw him pop out at the end, so perhaps he was working inside?

Unfortunately due to the sun I couldn't make out any of O'Keefe/Wood. The fact that the players were all wearing the same thing (Mission Foods grey t's) made it difficult. If the tall, mobile player I thought was Mulligan, then he seemed do OK - moves very well, put himself in the play a bit, but his skills probably let him down a little. That's if this was Mulligan, though.

LostDoggy
23-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Oh, a couple more things.

* The Fiji experiment is a waste. I congratulate the club for trying to think out of the square, but really - this is hopeless. No offense to the kid at all, he's only 16, but he can't even handball two meters. I understand he's coming from literally ground zero - but what's the point? I'd MUCH rather put money into developing a player that has the skills but either needs specific coaching or whatever. For mine, this just seems like tattslotto. 'Attempting' to unearth a footballer from nothing. At this professional level, I would like to think there's better resources to establishing talent that hasn't been recognised as opposed to this. Good Luck to the kid, anyway..

Geez, a bit harsh on the kid. It's his first day at work and you're already calling for him to be sacked! The dogs have nothing to lose in this "experiment". The kid knows nothing about Aussie Rules - it's like judging the auskick kids when they play. You can't judge someone while they are still learning. He'd first be getting used to the ball and to the rules. No one picks that up in one day of training. Give the kid a break.

I'm sure the same thoughts occurred when Jim Stynes and Sean Wight were brought over from Ireland. "What a waste, they wouldn't know how to play footy".

Imagine if this kid develops into a legit AFL player? Think of the kids in Fiji who'll adopt Aussie Rules. Just check out their Rugby team, speed and size, true most of them have no necks, but all they have to be told is to get the ball from one end of the ground to the other.

RANT OVER :)

The Bulldogs Bite
23-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Geez, a bit harsh on the kid. It's his first day at work and you're already calling for him to be sacked! The dogs have nothing to lose in this "experiment". The kid knows nothing about Aussie Rules - it's like judging the auskick kids when they play. You can't judge someone while they are still learning. He'd first be getting used to the ball and to the rules. No one picks that up in one day of training. Give the kid a break.

I'm sure the same thoughts occurred when Jim Stynes and Sean Wight were brought over from Ireland. "What a waste, they wouldn't know how to play footy".

Imagine if this kid develops into a legit AFL player? Think of the kids in Fiji who'll adopt Aussie Rules. Just check out their Rugby team, speed and size, true most of them have no necks, but all they have to be told is to get the ball from one end of the ground to the other.

RANT OVER :)

Your optimism is great, but you're drawing a very, very long bow by trying to compare him to Stynes' situation. At least over there, they're exposed to competitive sport. He would have at least played gaelic or soccer when he was younger. It's not as though he would have been completely thrown in the deep end.

This fijian kid looks as un-coordinated as I have seen. I have played a lot of football, seen a lot of football from kids who haven't played football, and he's even worse. He just doesn't look like an athlete/sportsman. I'm not meaning to come down on the kid as a personal attack, it's fantastic for him that he's been given such an opportunity, but in the INTERESTS of this football club, then I'm afraid we're trying to create something from nothing.

As for your nothing to lose comment? I'm sorry, but that's naive - there's money to be lost, there's talent to be lost out on. IMHO an experiment like this is an insult to all the kids around Australia who can't make it for one reason or another. You cannot tell me that we wouldn't be able to spend our money in a better way. All you have to do is take ONE look at the rookie system and realise that plenty of quality players slip through the cracks because of one reason or another. Some mature later than others, some might have been going through problems/injuries, some maybe didn't have the dedication at the beginning ... etc. So no, you're wrong - there's plenty to lose.

As for your comparisons with rugby league, you answered your own 'question' of sorts. The fact that in Rugby, all you have to do is hold onto a ball, learn to pass backwards and beef up makes it MUCH easier to try experiments outside of the square. There's not a great skill set; if you can run, if you can tackle and you can learn to pass - bam. AFL is a whole different kettle of fish, it's arguably the most difficult sport in the world to play because of all the different skills needed to play.

So for mine, I just think this experiment is one of pure hope - ala tattslotto - rather than an experiment with a purpose and a goal. The whole "if it doesn't work out, no big deal" thing doesn't make sense to me. Money's not exactly our greatest asset, and I'd hate to miss out on the next Dean Cox/Ben Rutten because we decided to pull something out of the sky..

Before I Die
23-01-2009, 11:42 PM
As for your nothing to lose comment? I'm sorry, but that's naive - there's money to be lost, there's talent to be lost out on. IMHO an experiment like this is an insult to all the kids around Australia who can't make it for one reason or another. You cannot tell me that we wouldn't be able to spend our money in a better way. All you have to do is take ONE look at the rookie system and realise that plenty of quality players slip through the cracks because of one reason or another. Some mature later than others, some might have been going through problems/injuries, some maybe didn't have the dedication at the beginning ... etc. So no, you're wrong - there's plenty to lose...

These kids are not taking the place of local rookies. They are in addition to the normal list allocation and they are costing much, much less than a local rookie. If we didn't have the overseas rookies we would still not have any more local rookies. So no, there is nothing to lose.

So for mine, I just think this experiment is one of pure hope - ala tattslotto - rather than an experiment with a purpose and a goal. The whole "if it doesn't work out, no big deal" thing doesn't make sense to me. Money's not exactly our greatest asset, and I'd hate to miss out on the next Dean Cox/Ben Rutten because we decided to pull something out of the sky..

I don't believe it is truly an experiment, more so an investigation, or if you like, a feasibilty study. What is the talent pool like? Can someone with the right physical attributes but no prior experience pick up the skills of AFL in two years? Can they then learn the nuances of the game over, say, another two year period? Will the publicity generated in Fiji by these rookie listings and a supply of footballs lead to the 12, 13 and 14 year old Fijians (at least the ones with necks) developing an interest? I don't think anyone really expects these first two overseas rookie to ever play AFL seniors, but what about the ones we rookie list in five years time? We could be on to an absolute winner, and it will have cost us very little dollar wise and certainly not cost any local lads their chance to get on our list. Quite possibly, even if the program falls over, we may learn things that will help us better develop the skills of our local recruits.

Possibly this discussion of the potential pros and cons deserves its own thread.

Sockeye Salmon
23-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Your optimism is great, but you're drawing a very, very long bow by trying to compare him to Stynes' situation. At least over there, they're exposed to competitive sport. He would have at least played gaelic or soccer when he was younger. It's not as though he would have been completely thrown in the deep end.

This fijian kid looks as un-coordinated as I have seen. I have played a lot of football, seen a lot of football from kids who haven't played football, and he's even worse. He just doesn't look like an athlete/sportsman. I'm not meaning to come down on the kid as a personal attack, it's fantastic for him that he's been given such an opportunity, but in the INTERESTS of this football club, then I'm afraid we're trying to create something from nothing.

As for your nothing to lose comment? I'm sorry, but that's naive - there's money to be lost, there's talent to be lost out on. IMHO an experiment like this is an insult to all the kids around Australia who can't make it for one reason or another. You cannot tell me that we wouldn't be able to spend our money in a better way. All you have to do is take ONE look at the rookie system and realise that plenty of quality players slip through the cracks because of one reason or another. Some mature later than others, some might have been going through problems/injuries, some maybe didn't have the dedication at the beginning ... etc. So no, you're wrong - there's plenty to lose.

As for your comparisons with rugby league, you answered your own 'question' of sorts. The fact that in Rugby, all you have to do is hold onto a ball, learn to pass backwards and beef up makes it MUCH easier to try experiments outside of the square. There's not a great skill set; if you can run, if you can tackle and you can learn to pass - bam. AFL is a whole different kettle of fish, it's arguably the most difficult sport in the world to play because of all the different skills needed to play.

I also don't think it's at all likely that this will work but there are lots of holes in your agruement.

!) They don't play competitive sport? Ahem. They all play rugby. They need vision and awareness and get tackled (and tackle others), it's a start. Tom Williams played rugby until he was 15 as well. Jim Stynes couldn't handball at all when he started either.

2) Aussie kids missing out on opportunities - incorrect. The International rookies are extra spots on a list and are not taking the place of any other kid.

3) It's costing the club nothing. The whole episode is being funded by a supporter (the same supporter I saw at the rookie fundraiser putting his hand in his pocket again).

Mantis
24-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the report.

Appreciate this stuff more when you aren't surrounded by it daily (I'm on holidays in Vietnam)

hujsh
24-01-2009, 12:23 AM
I love the Fiji experiment but will admit he looked like a girl a bit when handballing.

Doesn't mean he can't make it in time though.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-01-2009, 12:47 AM
I also don't think it's at all likely that this will work but there are lots of holes in your agruement.

!) They don't play competitive sport? Ahem. They all play rugby. They need vision and awareness and get tackled (and tackle others), it's a start. Tom Williams played rugby until he was 15 as well. Jim Stynes couldn't handball at all when he started either.

2) Aussie kids missing out on opportunities - incorrect. The International rookies are extra spots on a list and are not taking the place of any other kid.

3) It's costing the club nothing. The whole episode is being funded by a supporter (the same supporter I saw at the rookie fundraiser putting his hand in his pocket again).

1) They play rugby, but this boy certainly hasn't - so it's null and void. He doesn't look as if he's even played sport before.

2) I don't mean we're missing out on Aussie kids because of list selections. I meant that we're missing out on them because we're spending money in a different area, when we can't even afford the luxury of having a full AFL Rookie list. Surely our priorities should be put towards this?

3) Does anyone have an idea how much? If it's next to nothing then I reserve my earlier judgement, but I would still rather save our money and spend it on resources that would benefit the club. I just don't think this Fiji thing is going to work at all. You might as well pluck a kid that plays basketball in Victoria and put him in this experiment, because the effects are exactly the same. IMO, it's just a fairly pointless exercise that could be done in our own backyard - and even though I know that's not possible (due to the overseas thing) you probably all get my point.

If the club was trying to convert born and bred rugby players into footballers, then I could understand the logic. The ball handling skills/awareness/tackling/physical attributes or understanding is likely to be already there. But taking a raw kid who looks as though he's never, ever played competitive sport? .. Eh.

hujsh
24-01-2009, 12:51 AM
1) They play rugby, but this boy certainly hasn't - so it's null and void. He doesn't look as if he's even played sport before.

2) I don't mean we're missing out on Aussie kids because of list selections. I meant that we're missing out on them because we're spending money in a different area, when we can't even afford the luxury of having a full AFL Rookie list. Surely our priorities should be put towards this?

3) Does anyone have an idea how much? If it's next to nothing then I reserve my earlier judgement, but I would still rather save our money and spend it on resources that would benefit the club. I just don't think this Fiji thing is going to work at all. You might as well pluck a kid that plays basketball in Victoria and put him in this experiment, because the effects are exactly the same. IMO, it's just a fairly pointless exercise that could be done in our own backyard - and even though I know that's not possible (due to the overseas thing) you probably all get my point.

If the club was trying to convert born and bred rugby players into footballers, then I could understand the logic. The ball handling skills/awareness/tackling/physical attributes or understanding is likely to be already there. But taking a raw kid who looks as though he's never, ever played competitive sport? .. Eh.

$1000 i believe

LostDoggy
24-01-2009, 01:22 AM
1)

Isn't this the age old argument of nature vs nurture? The kid is 16. Do you know for a fact that he hasn't played any kind of sport at all? Just after ONE training session you are calling it a waste of money (not the dogs money, but money being supplied by a "naive" mad bulldogs supporter).

The "spots" being taken are international spots on the list.

Let's call the kid a jar head. His head is empty. You fill it up with the correct info, the right technique and make Daniel Cross his mentor and he's ON THE RIGHT TRACK. Because he is just starting his journey into Aussie Rules. Let's wait a while before we tell the guy that's financing this whole thing that it's a waste of time and money.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-01-2009, 02:29 AM
Isn't this the age old argument of nature vs nurture? The kid is 16. Do you know for a fact that he hasn't played any kind of sport at all? Just after ONE training session you are calling it a waste of money (not the dogs money, but money being supplied by a "naive" mad bulldogs supporter).

The "spots" being taken are international spots on the list.

Let's call the kid a jar head. His head is empty. You fill it up with the correct info, the right technique and make Daniel Cross his mentor and he's ON THE RIGHT TRACK. Because he is just starting his journey into Aussie Rules. Let's wait a while before we tell the guy that's financing this whole thing that it's a waste of time and money.

Very difficult for a 16 year old to learn amd master the skills required to make AFL football, I would of thought. Particularly when he's coming from further back than kids who don't play the sport here. As I said; you could apply this method/experiment locally. Pick out a kid who plays Basketball - you know he can run, jump and apply pressure - it's pretty much the same sort of exercise.

I explained in an earlier post that by spots being taken up, I meant in terms of spending time and investment. I would personally rather put time and energy into a kid who has a 50/50 of making it, rather than somebody who is probably 1/100.

As I said though, if it's cheap - #1k? - then it's pretty much a non issue, because then that is peanuts, so it's worth a shot.

I just think some recruiters/clubs take it to silly lengths to try and identify talent, trying to out-do their counterparts with some marvelous original idea (Sound like anyone we know?) when there's more obvious choices, and kids in our own backyard that we don't give the chance to. The whole "if you're good enough, you'll make it" argument is rubbish. Many players are turned down because they might be considered "too small", or "not quick enough". But that's a debate for another time.

mjp
24-01-2009, 11:37 AM
I have no idea where the AUD$1000 amount has come from, but that would not have covered air-fares and accomodation to FIJI for the trials...plus, we must be paying him something!

Further on the $ front, aren't we a rookie short at the moment due to funding issues?

Good luck to the young kid and it is a worthwhile initiative, but there is an opportunity cost of doing it.

Go_Dogs
24-01-2009, 01:17 PM
I have no idea where the AUD$1000 amount has come from, but that would not have covered air-fares and accomodation to FIJI for the trials...plus, we must be paying him something!

Further on the $ front, aren't we a rookie short at the moment due to funding issues?

Good luck to the young kid and it is a worthwhile initiative, but there is an opportunity cost of doing it.

The $1000 is what it actually costs to sign an international rookie.

As you mention, flights, accommodation, gear, actually receiving a payment on top of that...it would all add up. I'm with you though, interesting exercise, and in reality, even if it has cost us 1 rookie spot for this season, its not a huge loss.

Dancin' Douggy
24-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Let's talk about the rest of the team then..............

LostDoggy
24-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Shaw was running laps. He looks as though he has added some size to his frame though.

From what I could see, Boumann didn't participate in the match simulation either. Seemed to be still apart of the rehab group, although I didn't really spot him running. I only saw him pop out at the end, so perhaps he was working inside?

Unfortunately due to the sun I couldn't make out any of O'Keefe/Wood. The fact that the players were all wearing the same thing (Mission Foods grey t's) made it difficult. If the tall, mobile player I thought was Mulligan, then he seemed do OK - moves very well, put himself in the play a bit, but his skills probably let him down a little. That's if this was Mulligan, though.

What gives you the indication that boumann is a 30/70 chance? Didn't boumann play last year with a bung shoulder then had a reco after the season end! All these talls need time. Its common knowledge that midfielders come on quicker as they fill out earlier than the tall blokes, i know i'm 6ft7"!

GVGjr
24-01-2009, 08:30 PM
What gives you the indication that boumann is a 30/70 chance? Didn't boumann play last year with a bung shoulder then had a reco after the season end! All these talls need time. Its common knowledge that midfielders come on quicker as they fill out earlier than the tall blokes, i know i'm 6ft7"!

Too true Big Fella. Typically the talls do need more time than the mids and yes they did delay his reco for a few weeks so he could play in the finals etc.
You seem to be a fan of his so what do you see are his strengths and weaknesses?
What are your realistic expectations of his 2009 season?

lemmon
25-01-2009, 12:30 AM
The depth of the squad sounds much improved sounds like we have about 35 blokes all pushing for senior selection. I could also see big things from Stack this year he seems naturally suited to a half bank flank from what i saw of him at Willi, good pace and skills and fantastic vision. Could be a bolter for 09

The Bulldogs Bite
25-01-2009, 01:17 AM

Where did I say Boumann was a 30/70 chance?

In any case, the taller players do take longer to develop, so hopefully he can push for senior selection at Williamstown.

Happy Days
25-01-2009, 01:57 AM

Thats some serious height you got going there mate.

LostDoggy
26-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Where did I say Boumann was a 30/70 chance?

In any case, the taller players do take longer to develop, so hopefully he can push for senior selection at Williamstown.

my apologies, it was bobmurphy who quoted the 30/70 on boumann. I think they should persist with boumann at chf in willi seinors. As with mulligan and shaw should be tested in the ruck at seinor level also as none of these boys will develop or learn much in the magoos to push for doggies selection! As williamstown is our developing club they need to fast track these talls to give them confidence at seinor level:)

LostDoggy
26-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Too true Big Fella. Typically the talls do need more time than the mids and yes they did delay his reco for a few weeks so he could play in the finals etc.
You seem to be a fan of his so what do you see are his strengths and weaknesses?
What are your realistic expectations of his 2009 season?

From what i have seen and heard boumann is a very talented kid. I think his strengths are his speed and his athletisism. he has very good skills on both sides and can mark and kick goals, though his consistincy and body language at times let him down. needs to hold down chf at willi and then then push for selection later in the year! we really need guys like boumann and grant etc to push into the side and give our forward line some potency:)

Sockeye Salmon
27-01-2009, 12:19 AM
I think they should persist with boumann at chf in willi seinors.

Despite Brad Gotch being involved with both Willi and the Dogs, Willi are, first and foremost, their own club and are trying to win a premiership.

If Boumann's form isn't good enough he won't be playing, regardless of what we want.