PDA

View Full Version : Dogs to repeat Fiji mission

The Coon Dog
24-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Dogs to repeat Fiji mission (http://westernbulldogs.com.au/tabid/4112/Default.aspx?newsid=71460)

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20P-T/Solomoni_a.jpg
Young Fijian Solomoni Loki has
impressed during his time with the
Bulldogs

THE WESTERN Bulldogs radical raid on Fiji is already bearing fruit, and the concept will be repeated again this year.

The Dogs took their recruiting drive offshore late last year, and after screening about 500 young Fijians over a couple of days at a recruitment camp returned with a couple of names.

One, Inoke Ratu, has been denied entry into the country because his father is a soldier with the Fiji Military Forces and the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has placed restrictions on the immediate families of some members of the Fiji military and other Fijian officials entering Australia as a result of the 2007 military coup.

But it's better news for Solomoni Loki, who has just completed a week with the Bulldogs, getting a start in Australian Football.

"Solomoni stood out – he was 16 at the time, showed excellent speed and good game-sense as well as a good vertical leap, so we thought there was a little bit to work with," Bulldogs recruiting manager Simon Dalrymple said.

"He was about 185cm, but he's grown a bit since then.

"I just bumped into him in the change rooms, and he's had a great week.

"All his kicking, marking, handball, ground-level skills, etc, have all been videoed and assessed.

"He's had a full medical screening, he's gone to Sandringham Beach and done running, boxing and swimming in 40-degree heat, strength testing and core training.

"He's had his 20m speed and agility filmed and tested, and he's done some decision-making activities involving some handball.

"He's done a lot of touch work – he's handled the footy over a thousand times over the week."

The AFL is hoping to get a competition running in Fiji, possibly as early as this year, and if that happens, Loki will play in it.

If not, he'll just continue with the training regime that the Bulldogs have designed for him.

"It's a two-year program for him – basically, at the end of his 18th year we'll make a decision on whether we relocate him to Australia.

"He's been on a training program and that will continue – we've got a guy in Fiji who's basically training the boys a couple of times a week.

"They're on a strength and conditioning program as well as a skills program.

"Part of that training is watching a lot of videos of games of footy, learning all about the skills of the game.

"He'll send through his weekly training plan to our development coach, and the next level of his development is that we would go back over there as part of our next talent ID as part of our Fiji project."

The Bulldogs are also still exploring their legal options in relation to getting Ratu into the country.
for westernbulldogs.com.au

bulldogtragic
24-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Interesting view considering some opinions on this here forum. As long as the costs associated with it don't blow out, i think it's a fine idea.

Scraggers
24-01-2009, 05:51 PM
I agree ... I'm all all for it as long as it is within a tight budget ...

In regards to Inoke Ratu; surely someone in the Bulldog 'descision making heirarchy' knew to check with immigration before paying him money ($2000 salary, expenses et al.) and buying him a return airfare to Australia ... or am I assuming too much ?

LostDoggy
25-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Its an obscure law but we wouldnt make the same mistake again. Moot if we get him in the end.

AndrewP6
25-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here...
I say as long as it doesn't break the bank(and $2000 surely wouldn't!) , and we don't overlook worthy local talent, then why not... might just reap a great reward...

soupman
25-01-2009, 10:53 PM
"He's been on a training program and that will continue – we've got a guy in Fiji who's basically training the boys a couple of times a week.

"They're on a strength and conditioning program as well as a skills program.

"Part of that training is watching a lot of videos of games of footy, learning all about the skills of the game.

"He'll send through his weekly training plan to our development coach, and the next level of his development is that we would go back over there as part of our next talent ID as part of our Fiji project."

I like this part. It shows that we are committed to the area, and ensuring that we cast a wider net. Hopefully this means that those players involved encourage their mates to become involved, and generates more interest for the next trial, which will also have the benefit of featuring players who know what a footy is.

I also imagine that they won't just focus on players 16 and over, so this way maybe a 14 year old can spend a year or two learning the basics of the game, and then can be signed by us and thrown into some more challenging football drills at the Mission Foods ELC.

bornadog
15-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Bulldogs Fiji Bound (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/86072/default.aspx)

4:55 PM Wed 14 October, 2009

The Western Bulldogs Fiji Program is up and running in 2009 with Development Manager Chris Maple, Physical Conditioning Assistant Ben Griffin and financial supporter Shaun Bassett jumping on a plane this afternoon to discover the best talent the Pacific Island has to offer.

The innovative program, which is its second year, has already seen the Bulldogs sign two young players to international scholarships in 2008. Solomoni Loki has already travelled to Melbourne to train with the Bulldogs, while Inoke Ratu has been unable to come to Australia despite his scholarship.

“Solomoni came out earlier in the year but Inoke still has Visa problems, which continues to be an ongoing issue at Government level. At the moment nothing has changed but we are hoping sometime next year he will be able to come out,” Recruiting Manager Simon Dalrymple said.

The five day trip will see the travelling party conduct testing in Suva, which will be similar to what young Australian players are put through during Draft Camp. Key areas which are tested are speed, agility, vertical leap and ball skills.

Following this the group will travel to Nandi to conduct AFL school clinics.

Simon Dalrymple says the Program has a couple of important purposes and with a compromised drafting landscape over the next few years, it is necessary for clubs to exhaust all avenues for talent identification.

“There are two objectives, number one is to touch base with our existing scholarship holders to review where they are at. The Second point is to explore the potential of any other athletes who fit the criteria that we are looking for,” he said.

The Program was inspired by the unique athletic ability of West Coast Eagles 2008 Number 2 Draft Pick Nic Naitanui, the Bulldogs are hoping to unearth players with power, speed and agility during their stay.

Go_Dogs
18-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks for posting that BAD, glad that we are still actively pursuing this - although not sure how successful it may be it's good that we are following through.

bulldogtragic
18-10-2009, 09:09 AM
I still can't believe Inoke is being punished for doing absoluytely nothing wrong.

Twodogs
18-10-2009, 12:04 PM
As a matter of interest has anyone here ever been to Fiji? I have and it's a fantastic place to visit, although it was 30 years ago.

I'm gueessing you've been there more recently TCD.

azabob
18-10-2009, 12:26 PM
As a matter of interest has anyone here ever been to Fiji? I have and it's a fantastic place to visit, although it was 30 years ago.

Twodogs,

Nice Signature, are you a big fan?

Twodogs
18-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Twodogs,

Nice Signature, are you a big fan?

Huge. The man has been like a god to me for over 20 years now.

Love Letter and Into My Arms are just the greatest lyrics ever to be set to a tune I reckon.

azabob
18-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Huge. The man has been like a god to me for over 20 years now.

Love Letter and Into My Arms are just the greatest lyrics ever to be set to a tune I reckon.

Also a massive fan.

I will never forget the first time I heard Into My Arms. I would've been 18 or 19 at the time and have loved him ever since. I now own pretty much everything he and the bad seeds have done. I must admit boys next door and birthday party are a bit to hardcore for me.

Love it everytime he comes to the land of OZ.

Actually I spoke to Robert Murphy (as he was known then) at the badseeds gig in January 2009.

hujsh
18-10-2009, 01:24 PM
I went about 3 years ago.

chef
18-10-2009, 05:32 PM

I've been there twice(most recent was this year) and it is fantastic as well as being filled with lovely people. I recommend Nacula Island(Oarmans Bay Lodge) if anyone is looking for a tropical island getaway away from civilisation.

Twodogs
26-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Also a massive fan.

I will never forget the first time I heard Into My Arms. I would've been 18 or 19 at the time and have loved him ever since. I now own pretty much everything he and the bad seeds have done. I must admit boys next door and birthday party are a bit to hardcore for me.

Love it everytime he comes to the land of OZ.

Actually I spoke to Robert Murphy (as he was known then) at the badseeds gig in January 2009.

He's certainly had an interesting journey, huh?

I idolised The Birthday Party. They had by far and away the most signifigant influence on my life than any other band or individual person in my life. I can still remember what I was doing when I heard "Release The Bats" for the first time the way people remember what they were doing and where they were when Armstrong walked on the Moon or Gough was sacked.

Cave screaming and cursing, the cacopony of sound, the craziness and the sheer anger, violence and frustration that sprang through the speakers turned my life upside down and I've never been the same since!;)

Myself and Ernie Sigley were lucky enough to see him two nights running (Grinderman one night and The Bad Seeds the next night) up at Mt Buller earlier in the year. The (original, with Kuepper and Bailey) Saints and the Primitive Calculators were on ther same bill-it was one of the best weekends I've ever had.

Scraggers
02-10-2010, 12:52 AM
** Bump **

This was raised in the Irish experiment thread (Aiden O'Shea) so I thought I would re-raise the question ... Anyone know where we are with our Fiji Mission ??

I know it hasn't cost us the bank, but I am struggling to find it in our financial statements that we have taken part in, or even committed to continue this program in the following years.

Anyone have any idea ??