PDA

View Full Version : Who was your VFA team?

The Coon Dog
25-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Another lifetime ago the VFL used to be played on Saturday's, then South Melbourne got relocated to Sunday's.

Prior to that, Sunday's were exclusively the domain of the VFA. Did you often go? Who did you support? What can you remember about games you watched on telly on Channel 0, or attended?

Living in Braybrook, it was just a short walk up the street to Skinner's Reserve to watch the mighty Crows; Sunshine, not the licorice all sorts you see today.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/Untitled-1-2.jpg
Sunshine Football Club Jumper

We used to sneak under the many gaps in the fence at either end of the ground. No locals ever paid whether it be to watch Sunshine or a VFL practice match.

I can recall Alan Stoneham playing at Sunshine, ledge & I played with his brother in the juniors.

Wayne Foreman was a favourite of mine & I also recall Gubby Allan. Can anyone tell me why he went to Fitzroy? I'd love to know.

Sunshine were usually in the 2nd division, so were rarely on TV, that was usually Port Melbourne & Dandenong's domain.

Gee, some of those fights between Port & Dandy were not places to be for the faint hearted; either side of the fence.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=J9gBHlcqKEk

I know there's a fair contingent of the Port mafia on here, so I expect some input there fellas.

Twodogs
25-01-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm a Port supporter these days but my original VFA love was Yarraville.

Mark Fotheringham
Pat Wellington
Kevin Sait
Denis Pagan
John Sharp

All great players.

GVGjr
25-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Sunshine was my 2nd division team and Williamstown my first division side.

Rocket Science
25-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Did a lot of growing up in Willy so it was the Seagulls all the way.

Terry Wheeler
Bazza Round
Ian Rickman
Ronnie James
Tony Pastore
Saade Ghazi
Brett MacTaggart
Danny Del Re

Didn't hurt that they always had strong links with the Dogs, even in those pre-affiliation days.

bulldogtragic
25-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Knocking around the streets of Frankston, I followed Frankston VFA and still have a little soft spot them. I respect their fierce independence when the AFL took over the VFL.

LostDoggy
25-01-2009, 11:26 PM
I went for oakleigh, but since they folded a about 14 or 15 years ago I just go for whoever the bulldogs are affiliated with.

craigsahibee
25-01-2009, 11:33 PM
My father's family lived in Port for 20 years so it was Port for us. As soon as Wheels took up the coaching gig at Williamstown, I defected to the 'gulls.

Before I Die
26-01-2009, 12:09 AM
Followed Yarraville until there demise, then turned my affections to Williamstown. Experienced quite a bit of emotional turmoil during the Collingwood/Williamstown years.

ledge
26-01-2009, 02:25 AM
Oh as TCD posted the mighty crows, I played juniors there and also did the scoreboard occasionally with the big metal numbers, how no one got killed in the wind i dont know.
All we got was a pie and a drink at halftime.
Actually saw John Farnham perform there about 1972, didnt pay then either thanks to the hole in the fence in Elizabeth street!
Churchill avenue fish n chip shop did a roaring trade at halftime and crowd was always 500 no matter how full or empty for some reason.

KT31
26-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Williamstown,
went to school in Willy and played cricket at Willy and had lots of mates play footy for them.
In those days whole fourth eleven was nearly all Willy footballers or tied up with the footy club in some way(one exception was Ian Farley).

My Dad played footy at Yarraville (1930-40's) years ago and we went and seen them in their last game.
One of my cousins was playing for Box Hill and Yarraville just run around causing fights , it broke my Dads heart.

bornadog
26-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Sunshine was my 2nd division team and Williamstown my first division side.

same

LostDoggy
26-01-2009, 04:27 PM
I played with Yarraville and Waverley but also went to Dandenong and was pitted against a giant ruckman in a pre-season tackling drill (I am 5' 10") who pole drove me into the rock hard surface outside Shepley Oval tearing my shoulder ligaments. I promptly asked for a transfer.

Yarraville was my first love and we weren't the greatest side but I was fortunate enough to play in its last season (1983) and last game. This was my first senior season of footy and my debut was delayed because they played a 20 y.o in the 3rds under my name who got reported and suspended. I was ready to be promoted from the two's but had to wait until the suspension was up! We got to play our home games on the Western Oval and one of my team-mates was Greg Ward father of young Callan Ward.

Now I follow Willi but I used to love watching the VFA on Sunday Tv in the 70's and early 80's.

strebla
26-01-2009, 05:33 PM
The mighty Crows for me fave player was redda he won the best and fairest in the 2nds one year and i can always see the ruckman with one good eye what was hi name CD

mighty_west
26-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Did a lot of growing up in Willy so it was the Seagulls all the way.

Terry Wheeler
Bazza Round
Ian Rickman
Ronnie James
Tony Pastore
Saade Ghazi
Brett MacTaggart
Danny Del Re

Didn't hurt that they always had strong links with the Dogs, even in those pre-affiliation days.

I'm also a Towners fan, grew up there, played cricket against James, Pastore & Saadi, James & Saadi gun batsmen, and Pastore bloody quick!!!!

Ian Fairly was also a young gun forward down at Willy before going to North and establishing himself as a solid defender in the AFL, and playing in a Premiership in his final game and kicking a goal with his final kick, was a great moment.

There was nothing like seeing some of the biggest thrashings you'd ever imagine, i'm pretty sure it was Willy one day playing at Waverley [not VFL Park], and having a field day by booting something like 55 goals, Sunshine [sorry Coon Dog] and Box Hill were easy beats in those days.

Some of the teams back then included Geelong West, Brunswick, Preston, Prahan, Yarraville, Sunshine, Waverley etc etc.

Sockeye Salmon
26-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Some of the teams back then included Geelong West, Brunswick, Preston, Prahan, Yarraville, Sunshine, Waverley etc etc.

I also remember Mordialloc (red & white), Caulfield (navy & white), Northcote (green & gold), Camberwell (red, white and blue). Before that Oakleigh wore purple and gold. I can't remember ever having seen Brighton play.

ledge
26-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Prahran was my second favourite, the 2 blues and had some player named Pepi i remember.

Desipura
26-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Prahran was my second favourite, the 2 blues and had some player named Pepi i remember.
My team as well. Chris Smith for memory was the full back

mighty_west
26-01-2009, 10:06 PM
I also remember Mordialloc (red & white), Caulfield (navy & white), Northcote (green & gold), Camberwell (red, white and blue). Before that Oakleigh wore purple and gold. I can't remember ever having seen Brighton play.

That was when the VFA was really good, you had the 2 divisions, yet dividion 2 wearn't alienated because they were the weaker division.

I also really enjoyed watching the TV game and once a quarter, the other games scores would pop up at the botton of the screen, and was always exaciting to see those scores.

ledge
26-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Freddie Cook kicking majors left, right and centre.
Harold Martin hitting or abusing everyone and anyone.
Big John Benson, shocking footballer but played a million games.
Norman Yemm having a dash at halftime.

BulldogBelle
26-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Werribee for a very long time.

But now it is Willy.

With a soft spot for the Bees.

Axe Man
27-01-2009, 11:48 AM
My old man played for Sunshine, so he tells me. Also had a short stint at Frankston at the end of his career.

All that was before my time so I think I started with Willy, then upon alignment Werribee / Willy, then Werribee, now Willy again.

ledge
27-01-2009, 12:44 PM
My old man played for Sunshine, so he tells me. Also had a short stint at Frankston at the end of his career.

All that was before my time so I think I started with Willy, then upon alignment Werribee / Willy, then Werribee, now Willy again.

How long ago, just maybe I know him.

Axe Man
27-01-2009, 02:00 PM
How long ago, just maybe I know him.

I would have to ask him to know for sure but I would say mid 60s to mid 70s.

Griffo
27-01-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm a lifelong follower The Brilliant Bulldozin Bullants (however, my support is in temporary retirement whilst they're aligned with those caaaaaarlton a-holes.)

I met Harold Martin at the Council Club Hotel in Preston one night when he was working there. One of nature's gentlemen belive it or not. He must have had a fair dose of whiteline fever.

From memory Graeme Allan lived in Rosanna (maybe wrong?) which meant he was in Collingwood's zone, don't know how he got to the 'Roys.

ledge
27-01-2009, 08:25 PM
I would have to ask him to know for sure but I would say mid 60s to mid 70s.

I was juniors mid 70s under 15s.

ledge
27-01-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm a lifelong follower The Brilliant Bulldozin Bullants (however, my support is in temporary retirement whilst they're aligned with those caaaaaarlton a-holes.)

I met Harold Martin at the Council Club Hotel in Preston one night when he was working there. One of nature's gentlemen belive it or not. He must have had a fair dose of whiteline fever.

From memory Graeme Allan lived in Rosanna (maybe wrong?) which meant he was in Collingwood's zone, don't know how he got to the 'Roys.

Harold was captain coach at Sunshine once, we used to hang over the fence when he was fullback and give him hell, he once told us to leave the ground, where my friend then told him we paid to get in (which we never did)you dont own this ground so up yours.

Had some great banter with him and we actually played at and supported Sunshine!
All i can say is we only did it during the game, if he jumped the fence we would have pood our pants, he had that Ivan Milat moustache going and was pretty mean.

The Underdog
27-01-2009, 10:50 PM

I played a couple of years of junior footy there so they were my team until they went down the tubes. Still remember them winning the 2nd division flag at Junction Oval in about 87 or 88.

Scraggers
28-01-2009, 12:00 PM
For as long as I can remember it was the Oakleigh Devils ... when they folded in '88, I started following the Preston Bullants, but jumped off them quickly when they aligned themselves with Carlton (around 2003-ish).

Since then, no one really ... I look at the results of our aligned team (Werribee then Williamstown) to see how our players went, but that's it really.

Since moving to Perth, I have started to follow (with a keen interest) the East Fremantle Sharks.

always right
28-01-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm also a Towners fan, grew up there, played cricket against James, Pastore & Saadi, James & Saadi gun batsmen, and Pastore bloody quick!!!!

Ian Fairly was also a young gun forward down at Willy before going to North and establishing himself as a solid defender in the AFL, and playing in a Premiership in his final game and kicking a goal with his final kick, was a great moment.

There was nothing like seeing some of the biggest thrashings you'd ever imagine, i'm pretty sure it was Willy one day playing at Waverley [not VFL Park], and having a field day by booting something like 55 goals, Sunshine [sorry Coon Dog] and Box Hill were easy beats in those days.

I played for Waverley that day. It was the fist game of the season against Sunshine on our home ground. We kicked 52 goals with our full forward, Paul Angelis kicking 23! I kicked 10 myself but compared to 23 it was no big deal. Played a bad one the next week (still revelling in the previous week's praise:o) against Northcote and was dropped!!!

It was quite sad seeing Sunshine that day....embarrassing really.

Played against Yarraville when Ward was playing as was John Sharp, the McGhie brothers etc. Loved a fight those boys whereas our boys from the south eastern suburbs were there to play footy....being the well brought up boys we were:)

GetDimmaBack
28-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Played my junior footy at Sunshine (the ground was about 250m from home), but my Dad had played with Willi so I really supported them.
Saw the 1971 2nd Div Grand Final in which Sunshine got over Brunswick (I think). I was mates with the brother of Ronnie Brown, who coached the club in the 80s. Browny was a gun footballer, and he got us into the ground and into the celebrations back at the club later that night. Very big day, that one.

I'm glad the Dogs are aligned with 'town again. The natural order has been restored.

ledge
28-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Played my junior footy at Sunshine (the ground was about 250m from home), but my Dad had played with Willi so I really supported them.
Saw the 1971 2nd Div Grand Final in which Sunshine got over Brunswick (I think). I was mates with the brother of Ronnie Brown, who coached the club in the 80s. Browny was a gun footballer, and he got us into the ground and into the celebrations back at the club later that night. Very big day, that one.

I'm glad the Dogs are aligned with 'town again. The natural order has been restored.

A few of us on this site were mates with Ronnies youngest brother Darren who managed to get one game with us doggies.
Quite a few years difference there though.

Twodogs
29-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Harold was captain coach at Sunshine once, we used to hang over the fence when he was fullback and give him hell, he once told us to leave the ground, where my friend then told him we paid to get in (which we never did)you dont own this ground so up yours.

When he was coaching anther VFA club Harold got suspended and wasnt allowed onto the playing arena. No problem for Harold. He just hired a cherry picker, had it positioned close enough to the fence for the players to hear him and made his addressses from there!:D

I played for Waverley that day. It was the fist game of the season against Sunshine on our home ground. We kicked 52 goals with our full forward, Paul Angelis kicking 23! I kicked 10 myself but compared to 23 it was no big deal. Played a bad one the next week (still revelling in the previous week's praise:o) against Northcote and was dropped!!!

It was quite sad seeing Sunshine that day....embarrassing really.

Played against Yarraville when Ward was playing as was John Sharp, the McGhie brothers etc. Loved a fight those boys whereas our boys from the south eastern suburbs were there to play footy....being the well brought up boys we were:)

Steve and Warren were flat out the scariest, most violent guys I ever saw play the game. I saw Warren get sniped in a pack at Yarraville once. Steve picked the trangresser up by the neck and was just about to punch him in the face when the umpire yelled "Dont do it Steve or I'll have to report you" Steve eyes were spinning around in his sockets and just said "**** that the little **** hit my broter" The umpy held his hands up and said "Fair enough, but only one punch" It only took one punch and the guy went to Lala land.

always right
29-01-2009, 03:09 PM
When he was coaching anther VFA club Harold got suspended and wasnt allowed onto the playing arena. No problem for Harold. He just hired a cherry picker, had it positioned close enough to the fence for the players to hear him and made his addressses from there!:D

Steve and Warren were flat out the scariest, most violent guys I ever saw play the game. I saw Warren get sniped in a pack at Yarraville once. Steve picked the trangresser up by the neck and was just about to punch him in the face when the umpire yelled "Dont do it Steve or I'll have to report you" Steve eyes were spinning around in his sockets and just said "**** that the little **** hit my broter" The umpy held his hands up and said "Fair enough, but only one punch" It only took one punch and the guy went to Lala land.

Yep...they were scary but not as scary as Trevor Price who played for Coburg but finished with Werribee. He was just a nasty, sadistic piece of work who made quite a mess of ex St Kilda player Stuart Trott's jaw on one occasion and almost blinded Matthew Scarlett's father in one eye when he played for Geelong West.

I recall coverage of a match they played against Yarraville where they were particularly violent. I remember Callan Ward's old man getting his jaw driven to the back of his head by the Werribee full back, who was a tank. Yarraville weren't shrinking violets so it must have been quite a sight seeing Werribee do a number on them.

ledge
29-01-2009, 06:16 PM
John Sharp could have been anything he wanted to be in football and cricket.

always right
29-01-2009, 06:29 PM

Good bloke off-field...absolute knob onfield.

GetDimmaBack
29-01-2009, 11:10 PM

Did Sharpie, Rags (Radziminski) & the McGhie boys play in the same team at Yarraville?

Boy, that would be a scary combination!

Rags was scary enough in junior footy playing for Spotswood. Those eyes! He said some crazy dumb things when he was fired up, though - couldn't help laughing sometimes...

Remi Moses
30-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Mine was Port Melbourne [cousin played in the 80 flag]. Vividly recall crying when port lost. Hazard to guess not many tears shed in the 70's or 80's.
Massive soft spot for Yarraville and Sunshine. Remember hearing a story that John Sharp got a bad umpiring decision in a cricket match,then proceeded to do burnouts over the pitch during one of the breaks. Hope it's not an urban myth

ledge
30-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Did Sharpie, Rags (Radziminski) & the McGhie boys play in the same team at Yarraville?

Rags was scary enough in junior footy playing for Spotswood. Those eyes! He said some crazy dumb things when he was fired up, though - couldn't help laughing sometimes...

Rags played a few years at Sunshine and was very popular with the supporters.

ledge
30-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Mine was Port Melbourne [cousin played in the 80 flag]. Vividly recall crying when port lost. Hazard to guess not many tears shed in the 70's or 80's.
Massive soft spot for Yarraville and Sunshine. Remember hearing a story that John Sharp got a bad umpiring decision in a cricket match,then proceeded to do burnouts over the pitch during one of the breaks. Hope it's not an urban myth

Sharpie coached at Totty for 2 years, in the first year he got us to a grand final, got a bad decision and went nuts at the umpire, thus we lost.
I did hear he felt so bad he coached for nothing the next year, cant confirm this though.

Twodogs
30-01-2009, 11:38 AM

Rags and Sharpie played together and Sharpie and the McGhie boys played together but Rags had moved on by then. I was talking to Rags at an after match about the effects sex before a game might have-the question intrigued him so he made sure that everyone in the room was asked their opinion before they left.

Shane Keogh woud have taken the four of them on (Well maybe if you removed Steve McGhie from the equation) and won with one hand tied behind his back. He was a proper hard bastard.

Good bloke off-field...absolute knob onfield.

Once when Sharpie had been suspended (As coach of Yarraville) he was standing behind the goals at the Willy rd end. He turned to me and said "Run out on the ground and tell that umpire he's a ****" I said he if he thought it was such a good ides then he should do it himself. He had second thoughts about the whole plan.

I can remember a bloke in the grandstand having a ping at Sharpie only to find out that his brother was sitting in the row behind, boy that one got ugly!

I played cricket against Sharpie. He was bowling bouncers at a teenage taileneder and I said "Give it a rest Shaprpie, he's just a kid" Sharpie said "**** him, he's got a bat to protect himself with"

He was coaching West Newport and they'd won 49 games in a row or something stupud. Sharpie had to go O/S for some reason and the team drew it's first game in his absence. No was game to ring him and tell him.

ledge
30-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Does anyone remember Butch Litchfield? Absolute gun goalkicker in the VFA for the crows but just couldnt get a game at the doggies seniors.
Lives in Melton now, think his son is getting a kick at the jets.

Another Sunshine name was Bernie Menadue, played for years, i could go on and think i am.

GetDimmaBack
30-01-2009, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=Twodogs;69482]Rags and Sharpie played together and Sharpie and the McGhie boys played together but Rags had moved on by then. I was talking to Rags at an after match about the effects sex before a game might have-the question intrigued him so he made sure that everyone in the room was asked their opinion before they left.

Shane Keogh woud have taken the four of them on (Well maybe if you removed Steve McGhie from the equation) and won with one hand tied behind his back. He was a proper hard bastard.

Ahhh, the legend of the McGhie brothers, especially Steve.

From all accounts, those two made Bones look fairly mild! :p

Steve's doing pretty well as secretary of the Ambo Union. Who'd be willing to take him on?
Does anyone know what Warren's up to these days?

LostDoggy
30-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Does anyone remember Butch Litchfield? Absolute gun goalkicker in the VFA for the crows but just couldnt get a game at the doggies seniors.
Lives in Melton now, think his son is getting a kick at the jets.

Another Sunshine name was Bernie Menadue, played for years, i could go on and think i am.

Bernie was a junior coach of mine ..in my time at Sunshine, a great bloke and good coach.....when i was at Sunshine the Jumper was modernized....it had a big white S on the front of a navy blue jumper. Butchie was a gun and should of gone on to bigger and better things. Buckie Shepperbottom was also a local gun in my time that really was a great talent, clearly the best junior footballer I played with or against!!

Twodogs
30-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Bernie was a junior coach of mine ..in my time at Sunshine, a great bloke and good coach.....when i was at Sunshine the Jumper was modernized....it had a big white S on the front of a navy blue jumper. Butchie was a gun and should of gone on to bigger and better things. Buckie Shepperbottom was also a local gun in my time that really was a great talent, clearly the best junior footballer I played with or against!!

Bucky was a star-no doubt about it. He could have been better than Doug Hawkins.

ledge
30-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Bucky and I hung out one summer together, a few tales there, he was a good kid, i remember one year he was under 16s cricket and a friend and i were coaching, he didnt want to play that day but we talked him into batting, made 100 in less than 20 overs.
Sometimes you can have all the talent in the world but other things take first priority.

ledge
30-01-2009, 12:49 PM

Goes with the nickname :D

Scraggers
30-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Bucky was a star-no doubt about it. He could have been better than Doug Hawkins.

That's a big call Twodogs ... Dougie was a star !!

Twodogs
30-01-2009, 02:26 PM
That's a big call Twodogs ... Dougie was a star !!

Bucky was as skilled as Doug but bigger and stronger. He could have been the superstar midfielder in football in the mid '80s and early '90s.

But he liked a good time a bit too much.

Desipura
30-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Bucky was as skilled as Doug but bigger and stronger. He could have been the superstar midfielder in football in the mid '80s and early '90s.

But he liked a good time a bit too much.
as opposed to Dougie?:confused:

Twodogs
30-01-2009, 02:50 PM
as opposed to Dougie?:confused:

More than Doug.

always right
30-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Rags played a few years at Sunshine and was very popular with the supporters.

We played Yarraville in a preliminary final (around 1980 I think) at Prahran. I came off the bench and went into the centre on to Rags. Within the first minute I featured in a passage of play which resulted in me narrowly missing the goal. Rags immediatley confronted me and threatened me with all manner of violence. I put on a brave front but knew inside that he meant every word of it. Pretty solid build he was too and had that wild-eyed look about him.

Twodogs
30-01-2009, 03:03 PM
We played Yarraville in a preliminary final (around 1980 I think) at Prahran. I came off the bench and went into the centre on to Rags. Within the first minute I featured in a passage of play which resulted in me narrowly missing the goal. Rags immediatley confronted me and threatened me with all manner of violence. I put on a brave front but knew inside that he meant every word of it. Pretty solid build he was too and had that wild-eyed look about him.

We made the Granny in 1980 so if Yarraville won that game then that's the year it would have been.

ledge
30-01-2009, 03:16 PM
And then there was big Benson who played for years at Sunshine but was told to go by a certain Ricky Mclean, came back after the coffers were gone, after a stint at Yarraville i think it was.

always right
30-01-2009, 03:38 PM
We made the Granny in 1980 so if Yarraville won that game then that's the year it would have been.

Yep...and Yarraville lost to Brunswick who were a pretty good unit. We (Waverley) were a more talented side than Yarraville but they were far more physical. Shame...we would have been a good chance to beat Brunswick.:(

Twodogs
30-01-2009, 03:43 PM
And then there was big Benson who played for years at Sunshine but was told to go by a certain Ricky Mclean, came back after the coffers were gone, after a stint at Yarraville i think it was.

Jack Benson?

When Ricky Mclean told you to do something then you did it. Pity his nephew ended up at the 'Dees-I would have loved him at the dogs.

Twodogs
30-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Yep...and Yarraville lost to Brunswick who were a pretty good unit. We (Waverley) were a more talented side than Yarraville but they were far more physical. Shame...we would have been a good chance to beat Brunswick.:(

Not just lost-we were thumped.

strebla
30-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Bucky and I hung out one summer together, a few tales there, he was a good kid, i remember one year he was under 16s cricket and a friend and i were coaching, he didnt want to play that day but we talked him into batting, made 100 in less than 20 overs.
Sometimes you can have all the talent in the world but other things take first priority.

I played in that side Ledge we had another gun cricketer in that team by the name of Phillip O'Keefe

ledge
30-01-2009, 06:48 PM
I played in that side Ledge we had another gun cricketer in that team by the name of Phillip O'Keefe

Phil could play a bit, just looked a little uninterested at times unlike Bucky who was just never really interested.
Phil always came across as a quiet kid but years later with tatts all over and playing at full forward at Collingwood you wonder what happened.

Twodogs
30-01-2009, 06:57 PM

Kicked the winning goal against Carlton at Whitten Oval one day but the ****ing umpire disallowed it. Is that the same one?

BulldogBelle
02-02-2009, 01:50 AM
I lived in Sunshine but only started following the footy about the time Sunshine FC folded. I recall the buzz when they won the flag and when Alan Stoneham went to Footscray.
Have never been to a VFA match but liked watching them on the teev, mainly Willy when Danny DelRe and other Dogs players were there. It was good watching Bob Johnson of Oakleigh - basically just stood in the goal square and shoved opponents out and took heaps of marks and kicked a bag each week.

Scraggers
03-02-2009, 12:15 PM
I lived in Sunshine but only started following the footy about the time Sunshine FC folded. I recall the buzz when they won the flag and when Alan Stoneham went to Footscray.
Have never been to a VFA match but liked watching them on the teev, mainly Willy when Danny DelRe and other Dogs players were there. It was good watching Bob Johnson of Oakleigh - basically just stood in the goal square and shoved opponents out and took heaps of marks and kicked a bag each week.

'Big Bob' was the reason I started following East Fremantle when I first came over to Perth ... He was captain/coach of Old East for a number of years and topped the goal kicking a few times as well.

He was a beast of a man ... I met him through a mate a number of years ago at a past players function ... he had to be two metres tall ... He was huge !!

ledge
03-02-2009, 03:50 PM
I remember he coached Greensborough for a couple of years too in the early 80s.
One other bloke who i saw down a jug at the cricketers arms and you couldnt see the jug when he grabbed it was the great Whale Roberts.
Another monster of a man!

always right
03-02-2009, 04:30 PM
I remember he coached Greensborough for a couple of years too in the early 80s.
One other bloke who i saw down a jug at the cricketers arms and you couldnt see the jug when he grabbed it was the great Whale Roberts.
Another monster of a man!

When the whale had the pub in South Melbourne many years back, I wandered in to find him sitting at the bar having a standard glass of beer. It looked like a thimble in his hand. When asked about it, he declared that his doctor had told him to cut back on his drinking so he decided that using a smaller glass would do the trick. All it meant is he finshed his beer in two mouthfuls.:D

Remi Moses
04-02-2009, 12:59 AM

Played cricket against Michael fairly talented cricketer. Looked like he didn't give a s*** though!Didn't Lenny Balcam play at Totty?

strebla
04-02-2009, 02:00 AM
Played cricket against Michael fairly talented cricketer. Looked like he didn't give a s*** though!Didn't Lenny Balcam play at Totty?

Yes Sheppa did look like he could not be bothered but I can tell you he was very competetive at everthing he did.I can't recall Lenny Balcam. Maybe Coon Dog,Ledge or Western Monkey can tell you

LostDoggy
04-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Yes Sheppa did look like he could not be bothered but I can tell you he was very competetive at everthing he did.I can't recall Lenny Balcam. Maybe Coon Dog,Ledge or Western Monkey can tell you

Yeah Lenny did play at Totty, was after my time there though. I did see him bowl and he at times turned it on...only after being smacked or sledged did he go to his full run...even well into his thirties he was bloody quick. I had never seen a wicketkeeper so far back in local cricket before. Glad I had moved on, would of been crapping myself just to bat at training!! I faced him at indoor once years ago...didn't see it at all.

Remi Moses
06-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Yeah Lenny did play at Totty, was after my time there though. I did see him bowl and he at times turned it on...only after being smacked or sledged did he go to his full run...even well into his thirties he was bloody quick. I had never seen a wicketkeeper so far back in local cricket before. Glad I had moved on, would of been crapping myself just to bat at training!! I faced him at indoor once years ago...didn't see it at all.

I played on the next ground [now merv hughes oval]. Had the occassional glance at Lenny and the Totty boys,iwas also looking to the sky thanking the good lord i wasn't facing him:D:DThey went broke if i recall

LostDoggy
06-02-2009, 10:27 AM
I played on the next ground [now merv hughes oval]. Had the occassional glance at Lenny and the Totty boys,iwas also looking to the sky thanking the good lord i wasn't facing him:D:DThey went broke if i recall

Does that make you a Barkly Street guy? Makes my skin crawl just thinking of it!!:D

Remi Moses
07-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Does that make you a Barkly Street guy? Makes my skin crawl just thinking of it!!:D

Yes guilty as charged.:eek:

The Coon Dog
07-02-2009, 05:52 AM
Yes guilty as charged.:eek:

That's much worse than supporting Manyoo!

ledge
07-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Who let him on this website??????

Craig Spicer
23-04-2009, 10:41 PM
My favorite team was YARRAVILLE. Lived opposite the Yarraville Oval all my life. Father was in the committee, mother in the ladies committee. Older brother was property steward for a few years.

I could never kick a football and only played one year in the under 12's (about 1969 era), that was my retirement year. Played under 12's with likes of Len Balcom who went on to play cricket with Footscray and Qld State side. Graham Jarry who is still with Yarraville Cricket Club, Colin Laffey (Dec), Greg Ward (father of Callum) and a few other locals.

Being born in 1957, I can remember the early days of Yarraville when they were a powerhouse in Division One. Some of the payers from those days were.
Martin Taurens (number 29)
Nino Quarantotto (number 37)
John Charles (25)
Bob Barr (9)
Alan (Bongo) Bongetti (1) (amazing high marking ability and great goalkicker)
Ron Warwick (Dec) (32)
Evan Rowe (12) (another great goalkicker). (Wore his number as a mascot for Yarraville)
Norm Madigan (7) (great rover)
Lou Dowling (still see him at Werribee games)
Jim Kemp (amazing goalkicker)
John Heriot (Captain Coach ex Sth Melb)
John Henderson (Captain/Coach ex Collingwood)
Bill Gunn (Coach and my next door neighbour) (Too young to remember his football days at Sth Melb. Some say he was one of the greatest) (grandfather of Callum Ward)
Towards the early 70's to the 80's recall players like
Micky Martin (very talented rover)
Wayne Squires
John Sharpe (great all round sportsman) (loved his supporters. Hated his rivals)
Colin Sampson
John Mutton
Fred Cook (won Listen then migrated to Port)
Len Cummins
Richard Radsminski (could play football)
Shane (Skitsa) Keogh (another one who had good talent)
Leigh Perrusich (Amazing mark and great talent but cut short due to injury)
Greg Ward (played many years with loyalty for the club)
Roland Rocatowich
Along came the major sponsors later in 70's being Masseys Holden. Many good players were lured to the club.
Mark Fotheringham (is there any better to put on boots at VFA level. this guy could kick a 70 metre topedo straight through the goals. Amazing footballer)
Kevin Sait (short guy but amazing rover)
Steve McGhie (Should have won the Browlow equivalent. Best full back I have ever seen)
Pat Wellington (Dec). Could kick a ball from the backline direct to Fothers)
David Thorpe (Another who could kick a ball)
George Bisset (gutzy rover from Footscray)
Stuart McGee
Lacka Laxton (always won the ruck)
Frog (cant remember his mane but had hands the size of a football)
Jim Ryan (Best reserves player ever seen)
Terry Breheney
Denis Pagen (he still will probably deny playing for the club but he was Captain/Coach)
Grant Simmons
Larry Ryan (great guy and is still probably leaning on his shovel whilst working with the Council)
Frank Lanciana
Les Twentymen (coach)
John Mcfetridge

Committee Clubman I remember are:
Old Stan D'Altera.
Lammie Dennis
Stan Curwood
John McTaggert
Lindsay Hargreaves
Nugget Curwood
Jocka Firth

Call me a name dropper but my list can go on and on. My weekend consisted of going to the then Footscray Oval, sitting in the EJ Whitten stand watching Footscray and Sundays at every Yarraville home game. Dad used to take me to many away games as well including, Brunswick, Geelong West, Oakeligh, Williamstown, Sandringham, Preston, Coburg, Werribee, Dandenong, Prahran, Mordialloc, Waverley, Port Melbourne and many other grounds.
My football highlights were watching Yarrivalle in their prime from 1997 to early 2000's when they should have won the 2nd Division Flag (bloody Mordialloc). It was rumoured that Sam Newman attended the Grand Final breakfast in 1977 at Yarraaville and stated that he would play for them but only if they won as he would not play in 2nd Division. They lost so we will probably never know of the truth in that rumour. Nothing beat staning on the outer watching Fothers kick many a goal in those days. What a great tem they were then. My highlights at Footscray was being present during Ted Whittens 321 game. It was a cold wintery day. Footscray played Hawthorn. The Hawthorn cheer squad made a run through banner for Ted but it ripped with the wind. Nice gesture but shocking weather on the day.

Lowlights were. In my life both Footscray or Yarraville have not won a premiership and the demise of Yarraville.

Yarraville Football Club were a large part of my life and I met so many wonderful people some I still see today.

I invte comments and replies form anyone who was affiliated with Yarraville Football Club in any way and apologise if I have missed any names. I am sure, if I put my mind to it that this list would be three times the size.

Go Dogs for 2009.

LostDoggy
24-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Great read Craig

Desipura
24-04-2009, 11:25 AM
My favorite team was YARRAVILLE. Lived opposite the Yarraville Oval all my life. Father was in the committee, mother in the ladies committee. Older brother was property steward for a few years.

I could never kick a football and only played one year in the under 12's (about 1969 era), that was my retirement year. Played under 12's with likes of Len Balcom who went on to play cricket with Footscray and Qld State side. Graham Jarry who is still with Yarraville Cricket Club, Colin Laffey (Dec), Greg Ward (father of Callum) and a few other locals.

Being born in 1957, I can remember the early days of Yarraville when they were a powerhouse in Division One. Some of the payers from those days were.
John Charles (25)
Bob Barr (9)
Ron Warwick (Dec) (32)
Evan Rowe (12) (another great goalkicker). (Wore his number as a mascot for Yarraville)
Bill Gunn (Coach and my next door neighbour) (Too young to remember his football days at Sth Melb. Some say he was one of the greatest) (grandfather of Callum Ward)
Wayne Squires
John Sharpe (great all round sportsman) (loved his supporters. Hated his rivals)
Colin Sampson
John Mutton
Len Cummins
Roland Rocatowich
Along came the major sponsors later in 70's being Masseys Holden. Many good players were lured to the club.
Mark Fotheringham (is there any better to put on boots at VFA level. this guy could kick a 70 metre topedo straight through the goals. Amazing footballer)
Steve McGhie (Should have won the Browlow equivalent. Best full back I have ever seen)
Stuart McGee
Terry Breheney
Denis Pagen (he still will probably deny playing for the club but he was Captain/Coach)
Grant Simmons
Larry Ryan (great guy and is still probably leaning on his shovel whilst working with the Council)
Frank Lanciana
Les Twentymen (coach)
John Mcfetridge

Old Stan D'Altera.
Lammie Dennis
Stan Curwood
John McTaggert
Lindsay Hargreaves
Nugget Curwood
Jocka Firth

Call me a name dropper but my list can go on and on. My weekend consisted of going to the then Footscray Oval, sitting in the EJ Whitten stand watching Footscray and Sundays at every Yarraville home game. Dad used to take me to many away games as well including, Brunswick, Geelong West, Oakeligh, Williamstown, Sandringham, Preston, Coburg, Werribee, Dandenong, Prahran, Mordialloc, Waverley, Port Melbourne and many other grounds.
My football highlights were watching Yarrivalle in their prime from 1997 to early 2000's when they should have won the 2nd Division Flag (bloody Mordialloc). It was rumoured that Sam Newman attended the Grand Final breakfast in 1977 at Yarraaville and stated that he would play for them but only if they won as he would not play in 2nd Division. They lost so we will probably never know of the truth in that rumour. Nothing beat staning on the outer watching Fothers kick many a goal in those days. What a great tem they were then. My highlights at Footscray was being present during Ted Whittens 321 game. It was a cold wintery day. Footscray played Hawthorn. The Hawthorn cheer squad made a run through banner for Ted but it ripped with the wind. Nice gesture but shocking weather on the day.

Lowlights were. In my life both Footscray or Yarraville have not won a premiership and the demise of Yarraville.

Yarraville Football Club were a large part of my life and I met so many wonderful people some I still see today.

I invte comments and replies form anyone who was affiliated with Yarraville Football Club in any way and apologise if I have missed any names. I am sure, if I put my mind to it that this list would be three times the size.

Go Dogs for 2009.
Craig, I used to work with Pots (Graham Jarry) and I am in a fantasy footy type comp against him, good bloke

easybeat
24-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Williamstown.
My cousins grew up there, playing at willy. My cousin was good mates with Ian Fairley.

Ozza
24-04-2009, 04:25 PM

My old man has told me a few times about getting hit in the head by a Lenny Balcam bouncer! Reckons it just kept following his face!

Twodogs
24-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Frank Lanciana

I went to school with Ramon Gunn, Billy's son. Frank, Joe and Pat Lanciano were also ex-schoolmates.

Craig Spicer
24-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Ernie.

You may recall interviewing me at Whitten Oval about 3 years ago at an underprivilidged kids Christmas party. I was one of the coppers when the battery went flat and you took the piss out of us live on air for the flat battery. That was a great day.

Thanks for your responce and Go Dogs

Craig Spicer

Craig Spicer
24-04-2009, 10:20 PM
He is a good bloke

LostDoggy
24-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Footscray FC

Remi Moses
24-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Along with following Port I followed every Western Suburbs club bar Willy.

Craig Spicer
06-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Whilst on the subject of Sharpie. One day, I was having a quiet ale in the back room when one of the Yarraville supporters rushed up to me and siad that my wife copped a smack in the jaw from an Oakleigh supporter. Apparently she threw a can at the Oakleigh race (fenced off so no damage). The Oakleigh supporter took offence to this. By the time I had ran out onto the ground my wife was fine but every Yarraville player had left the clubrooms looking for the dill that smacked my wife. They were led by Sharpie. that was in their last year. If you were a supporter of the club Sharpie loved you. I still see him around, he has mellowed but a great bloke nevertheless.
Craig

Mitcha
06-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Great trip down memory lane people, I reckon I have played cricket or football with or against most people mentioned in the thread. For what it is worth I too followed Sunshine in the second division and Williamstown in the first division. Was shattered when we first aligned with Werribee but all is well with the world now. Go Towners, Go Dogs.

The Coon Dog
06-05-2009, 11:34 PM
I too followed Sunshine in the second division

As did I, why did you follow the crows?

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/Untitled-1-4.jpg

Mitcha
07-05-2009, 06:19 PM
I knew Wayne Foreman and was also taught at school by the great Jumping Johnny Benson.

The Coon Dog
07-05-2009, 07:23 PM
I knew Wayne Foreman and was also taught at school by the great Jumping Johnny Benson.
Well, I'll be. Wayne Foreman was on my jumper as a kid. I watched him in the #8 at Sunshine then the #42 at Footscray. He used to work at James Hardie in Brooklyn where my Mum worked so I met him there a few times when I was younger.

Did John Benson wear #20?

Cyberdoggie
08-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Growing up in Waverley and playing some junior footy i was a bit of a Waverley Panthers fan. Had a keen eye for Williamstown due to the history of bulldog players that went through there.

When the AFL stepped in recently i lost my interest in Williamstown when they were alligned with Collingwood and the dogs with Werribee. I have been following Port Melbourne the last few years due to friends and the fact they are going solo, however i keep a close eye on Williamstown and wish them and the bulldog players all the best.

Sedat
10-05-2009, 12:41 AM
My parents and grandparents called Brunswick home when they moved to Australia in the late 50's. Then my uncle played 150-odd games for Brunswick during the halcyon days in the late 70's and won a couple of Division 2 flags. Brunswick is in the blood.

KT31
10-05-2009, 12:59 AM

John Charles (25)
Bob Barr (9)
Ron Warwick (Dec) (32)
Wayne Squires
Colin Sampson
John Mutton
Len Cummins
Roland Rocatowich
Stuart McGee
Terry Breheney
Grant Simmons
Frank Lanciana
Les Twentymen (coach)
John Mcfetridge

Old Stan D'Altera.
Lammie Dennis
Stan Curwood
John McTaggert
Lindsay Hargreaves
Nugget Curwood
Jocka Firth

Go Dogs for 2009.

Great read Craig, although I don't know most of them from Yarraville your post bought back a lot of names from the past including some of relo's.

merantau
13-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Butch played ONE game for the 2s and kicked 3 goals. He then disappeared from the club. My sister used to go out with his old man (or uncle) Johnnie. She took me to my first game of football - a practice match between Braybrook and the Young Australian Chinese at Pennell Reserve. I was gob-smacked when I saw this team of Chinese guys run out. They wore green and white, horizontal striped jumpers. Johnnie booted a drop kick from the centre which bounced about 15 yds out and went through for a goal

1eyedog
13-05-2015, 02:57 PM
My parents and grandparents called Brunswick home when they moved to Australia in the late 50's. Then my uncle played 150-odd games for Brunswick during the halcyon days in the late 70's and won a couple of Division 2 flags. Brunswick is in the blood.

Me too. We lived in Hope Street opposite Alex Gillon oval. My son plays there for Brunswick Juniors and did all his Auskick there. Forgot to mention I play pub football there, great fun.

bulldogtragic
13-05-2015, 04:37 PM
Frankston for me. Still like them despite the AFL money killing them as a stand alone.

Eastdog
13-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Im obviously support today Footscray in the VFL. Didn't have a VFA team but I'm sure it must of been a great grassroots experience back in the day.

1eyedog
13-05-2015, 08:39 PM
Im obviously support today Footscray in the VFL. Didn't have a VFA team but I'm sure it must of been a great grassroots experience back in the day.

Back in the day Eastie some of the games / crowds were bigger than the VFL (now AFL).

LostDoggy
13-05-2015, 08:44 PM
Was always Willy with the doggies players in there when we were affiliated with them and when they were stand alone back in the day.

Twodogs
13-05-2015, 09:11 PM

John Charles (25)
Bob Barr (9)
Ron Warwick (Dec) (32)
Wayne Squires
Colin Sampson
John Mutton
Len Cummins
Roland Rocatowich
Stuart McGee
Terry Breheney
Grant Simmons
Frank Lanciana
Les Twentymen (coach)
John Mcfetridge

Old Stan D'Altera.
Lammie Dennis
Stan Curwood
John McTaggert
Lindsay Hargreaves
Nugget Curwood
Jocka Firth

Go Dogs for 2009.

The guy Frog with the bucket hands. I think his name was Bruce Rich or Riches.

And Dennis Fearn was one of the GMs in the late 70s

Twodogs
13-05-2015, 09:18 PM
I once heard Dennis Pagan tell the Yarraville players they were playing like Cowboys with pineapples on their heads.

Rance Fan
13-05-2015, 09:51 PM
Me too. We lived in Hope Street opposite Alex Gillon oval. My son plays there for Brunswick Juniors and did all his Auskick there. Forgot to mention I play pub football there, great fun.

My kids play there also..go dragons!

merantau
13-05-2015, 10:53 PM
I lived in Hope St from 1977 until 1991. Bought the house in Dec 77 for $32,000. It sold in 2014 for $1,036,000.

Remi Moses
14-05-2015, 03:26 AM
Good to see the mighty Burra beat the enemy last weekend;)

Twodogs
14-05-2015, 06:30 AM
Good to see the mighty Burra beat the enemy last weekend;)

Funny old game wasn't it?

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-05-2015, 05:58 PM
Sunshine was mine used to watch them at the beautiful Skinner reserve

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-05-2015, 06:09 PM

Maribyrnong High? Benson was my Geography teacher

ledge
15-05-2015, 07:49 PM
Benson got a close look at Ricky Macleans anger when he was at Sunshine , Benson must have played about 500 games over the years , I used to finish training at the juniors then stay back and watch the seniors, then run home through the fence hole.

Twodogs
15-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Benson got a close look at Ricky Macleans anger when he was at Sunshine , Benson must have played about 500 games over the years , I used to finish training at the juniors then stay back and watch the seniors, then run home through the fence hole.

Benson and Micky Martin (the Willy Nelson lookalike) must have played more than a 1000 VFA games between them.

Some of those Sunshine V Yarraville games were wild encounters. I saw a Sunshine player get reported for pulling his own shorts down and brown eying Frankie Vegona at Yarraville oval one game. Frank had just payed Yarraville's Marrk Fotheringham another free kick for holding and interference. It just degenerated from there.

Remi Moses
15-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Maribyrnong High? Benson was my Geography teacher

Good to see a fellow Maribrynong student .
Now John Benson had a beard

Webby
15-05-2015, 09:06 PM
I could add Donny Whitten to that Yarraville list. Also the McGhie brothers??

It's a shame Yarraville folded they really were a good club with almost a sister club feeling to Footscray FC.

For me, it was simply Sunshine in the 2nd Division and Willy in the first division, particularly after Terry Wheeler went there. Oh, and with a definite soft spot for Yarraville, too. For me, the western suburbs clubs were the "good guys" and the northern suburbs clubs - Coburg (Cleary) and Preston (Shaw) were the bad guys for some reason.

Cleary just looked like a bad guy with his jet black beard, whilst he didn't mind throwing his elbows around.

Remi Moses
15-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Williamstown never " earned" their promotion to the 1st division
Pileged Sunshine and Yarraville

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
15-05-2015, 10:42 PM
Good to see a fellow Maribrynong student .
Now John Benson had a beard

And he could ping a duster at you with force

Twodogs
15-05-2015, 11:33 PM
I remember being stunned when Brunswick knocked us off twice in the 1980 final series. Especially the GF. That was really hard to take. Having two players sent off didn't help.

LostDoggy
16-05-2015, 04:41 AM
Willi all day family grew up there. Chop's 2 goals in the last and then Billy's at the end, nearly 6 goals down in the last to storm home.....incredible memory!

KT31
16-05-2015, 08:52 AM
Willi all day family grew up there. Chop's 2 goals in the last and then Billy's at the end, nearly 6 goals down in the last to storm home.....incredible memory!

I went AWOL for 2 days after that, dread to think what is going to happen when the Doggies win.

LostDoggy
17-05-2015, 09:12 AM
I went AWOL for 2 days after that, dread to think what is going to happen when the Doggies win.

:) I hear ya. Doggies win? I've always laughed saying I'll be still running around Gordon St with only a scarfe tied around my head.......on the Wednesday.....

HOSE B ROMERO
17-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Oakleigh and Williamstown for me.

Growing up in the country in the 70's Sunday afternoons were World of Sport on 7 and then over to channel '0' (a precursor to channel 10) for the VFA.

It was hosted by Phillip Gibbs and i think Clem Dimsey. B&W tv.

My mother was born and bred in Oakleigh so it was the purple and gold for me. They were captain coached by 'big' Bob Johnson, the ex Melbourne legend. As previously mentioned, he would just plonk himself in the goal square and swallow the ball. They won a flag or two and i remember Bob standing on a table in the change rooms afterwards amongst the pandermonium.

Dandy, Preston, Port, Oakleigh, Prahran all featured regularly.

Then when Wheeler went to Willy it was over to them. Not that i knew exactly where Willy was. I remember living in St Kilda and driving along one day seeing a sign 'Williamstown Road' and then driving all over the place looking for Willy only to find out i was in Port Melbourne!

One of my favourite memories though is the 86 gf coburg vs willy, Juncion oval. Phil Cleary being sent off and Roundy holding the cup aloft. And the 100's of beer cans blowing around after the crowd had gone.

Great memories and thanks for this thread

Twodogs
21-05-2015, 07:32 PM
Oakleigh and Williamstown for me.

Growing up in the country in the 70's Sunday afternoons were World of Sport on 7 and then over to channel '0' (a precursor to channel 10) for the VFA.

It was hosted by Phillip Gibbs and i think Clem Dimsey. B&W tv.

My mother was born and bred in Oakleigh so it was the purple and gold for me. They were captain coached by 'big' Bob Johnson, the ex Melbourne legend. As previously mentioned, he would just plonk himself in the goal square and swallow the ball. They won a flag or two and i remember Bob standing on a table in the change rooms afterwards amongst the pandermonium.

Dandy, Preston, Port, Oakleigh, Prahran all featured regularly.

Then when Wheeler went to Willy it was over to them. Not that i knew exactly where Willy was. I remember living in St Kilda and driving along one day seeing a sign 'Williamstown Road' and then driving all over the place looking for Willy only to find out i was in Port Melbourne!

One of my favourite memories though is the 86 gf coburg vs willy, Juncion oval. Phil Cleary being sent off and Roundy holding the cup aloft. And the 100's of beer cans blowing around after the crowd had gone.

Great memories and thanks for this thread

That's great. I know exactly where you mean.