PDA

View Full Version : Mark Alvey players/membership card 1998

LostDoggy
26-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm cleaning out my house and I've come across Mark Alvey's 1998 membership card that he gave me in Launceston. At the end of the 98 season a few players came over to Tas for Westy's bucks night and my Brother and I went up and hung out with them after a supporters club function. Anyway for some reason Mark Alvey gave me his players card, which he needed that season to get into Bulldogs games. If anyone wants it to add to their memorabilia collection drop me a PM. It doesn't have any reference to the player on it so you'll have to take my word for it. The fact that I'm giving it away and not trying to sell it would probably reinforce that I'm not talking BS!!!

I realise that it's not overly exciting memorabilia but it will just get thrown out anyway, so if anyone wants it let me know.

Cheers!
Hobdog

bornadog
01-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Mark was a pretty good player till he did his knee with lots of potential. His kicking I think was in the Gilbee class. One of the best games he played was when Chris Grant played his 250 at the MCG, Alvey must have picked up 30 kicks and delivered the ball into the forward 50 so beautifully.

I remeber after he did his knee, I was invited to play in the players Golf day, and Mark was there on crutches, just helping out at one of the holes. I couldn't believe the amount of weight he had stacked on. Shame for him to finish his career the way he did.

Remi Moses
01-02-2009, 01:29 AM
Disagree re Mark Alvey as a footballer. Pretty much dime a dozen footballer

Sockeye Salmon
01-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Alvey's kicking was OK, but Gilbee's class? Not even close.

He best attribute was his workrate. He played HFF like a tiny CHF. He took a huge number of uncontested marks purely by working across the ground over and over again until eventually his opponent lost him or simply couldn't keep up.

Just another player.

azabob
01-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Alvey's kicking was OK, but Gilbee's class? Not even close.

He best attribute was his workrate. He played HFF like a tiny CHF. He took a huge number of uncontested marks purely by working across the ground over and over again until eventually his opponent lost him or simply couldn't keep up.

Just another player.

Just another first round draft pick, did we trade him to Essendon?

Sockeye Salmon
01-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Just another first round draft pick, did we trade him to Essendon?

Trade/gave away after he got fat? Much of a muchness.

bornadog
02-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Disagree re Mark Alvey as a footballer. Pretty much dime a dozen footballer

didn't say he was a champion, said he had potential, till he did his knee.

alwaysadog
03-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Sometimes I just don't know what we are trying to prove; does anyone really think that players don't care, or that in this case M Alvey didn't. Now I only met him a few times but I always got the impression of someone who wanted to give his all, he would have loved to be a star and tried his best. Knees and other things didn't help but I can't mock his attempt. If we rated him more highly than he deserved then that is our problem not his.

Remi Moses
06-02-2009, 12:19 AM
didn't say he was a champion, said he had potential, till he did his knee.

Might be a great bloke,I'm just rating him as a footballer. Got traded by us and did nothing at Essendon. Plenty of footballers have come back from Knee surgery

bornadog
06-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Might be a great bloke,I'm just rating him as a footballer. Got traded by us and did nothing at Essendon. Plenty of footballers have come back from Knee surgery

Well I wasn't talking about his personality either. All I said was he had potential. Played a few good games and after his knee, never lived up to that potential.

alwaysadog
07-02-2009, 12:33 AM
... Plenty of footballers have come back from Knee surgery

Yes, it's getting better; recovering from knee surgery, and some get what is about 90% of what they previously had, but many more have had their careers ruined and have never been the same.