PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Edwards

LostDoggy
27-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Anyone notice the lack of/poor media coverage over North's Aaron Edwards drink driving charge and club suspension/fine?

Given he was known to be a troubled soul, prior include being mentioned in the Kerr tapes,sacked by WCE, kicked out of a Loniel Richie gig(funny itself), I thought this would have been huge news or should have been sacked by North?

This time its speeding 98 in a 60 zone, failed a breath test then refused a police station test! Was he speeding on 2 fronts?
AFL is a joke, players are taking advantage and basically laughing in the comps face.

If Symonds had of done this then we would never hear the end.

GVGjr
27-01-2009, 07:09 PM
He's in a bit of strife though and the Roos must be disappointed in him. It's getting hard to defend some of these guys now.

bulldogtragic
27-01-2009, 07:22 PM
I agree 100%. The guide is the first time you refuse a breath test you do 2 years. That's 24 months. For get one month for every 0.1 over .07 - That is, .12 (12 Months) .18 (18 months) .24 (24 months).

Therefore, refusing is being equivalent to be being 5 times the legal limit nearly.

So lets ask some questions....

Was he so blind drunk (i.e 6 times the legal limit and near-on dead) he thought "i will get less time for refusing"?

Or like many young men who refuse breath tests, he thought the test might pick up other substances?

Either way a refusal of a breath test is a serious offence. SO much so, if he has only one prior for drink driving irregardless of the reading, he will actually get 4 years cancellation and disqualification on top of the 6 months he will get for exceesive speed.

That North got away with serious scrutiny over this breach of the law by one it's player is a serious bullet dodge. Although the TAC aren't one of their sponsors, it actually ranks as one of the more serious law breaches by an AFL player.

mighty_west
27-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Perhaps the lack of media attention is due to North getting on the front foot, being open from the start, and dealing with it straight away, giving him a suspension of 4 H&A games as well as all the pre-season, they have nipped it in the butt before it became a real circus, end of story.

The difference with Symonds is that he has offended so many times in the past few months, this being cricket season, he is also a senior player in a rebuilding side who is very much the face of the team with all the advertising he has done, plus the ACB's poor handling of his affairs.

LostDoggy
27-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Perhaps the lack of media attention is due to North getting on the front foot, being open from the start, and dealing with it straight away, giving him a suspension of 4 H&A games as well as all the pre-season, they have nipped it in the butt before it became a real circus, end of story.

I disagree with this, its lack of media attention is because the AFL and North want to hide it. North knew when recruiting him he had these issues.

mighty_west
27-01-2009, 08:24 PM
I disagree with this, its lack of media attention is because the AFL and North want to hide it. North knew when recruiting him he had these issues.

I am actually happy as a neutral supporter that this story is done & dusted, it was a main story on yesterdays news, and i'm sure it got headlines in the papers [i didn't get todays or yesterdays Hun], rather than just dragging out like with the Cousins, the Collingwoods players situations, in effect did drag on to the extent that they did due to their clubs not being totally transparent like North have done.

The scutiny on players these days is just astonishing, yeah, he stuffed up bad, and he's now copped his whack, and the media don't really have or need follow up stories due to being a closed case.

North have handled this just perfectly, they were honest from the start, they didn't want to hide the facts, they told it as it was, done deal.

LostDoggy
27-01-2009, 08:46 PM
I am actually happy as a neutral supporter that this story is done & dusted, it was a main story on yesterdays news, and i'm sure it got headlines in the papers [i didn't get todays or yesterdays Hun], rather than just dragging out like with the Cousins, the Collingwoods players situations, in effect did drag on to the extent that they did due to their clubs not being totally transparent like North have done.

The scutiny on players these days is just astonishing, yeah, he stuffed up bad, and he's now copped his whack, and the media don't really have or need follow up stories due to being a closed case.

North have handled this just perfectly, they were honest from the start, they didn't want to hide the facts, they told it as it was, done deal.

Yes just what the cheats want - transparency. There is more to this story than just a matter of speeding and a drink driving 1 off.
The AFL don't want to know cos a story like this can only harm their image. Deny all til its obvious.
You think North handled perfectly, seems to me they have taken WCE approach. He is a required player just they can't sack him, stuff like this will it bites them on the backside later. No doubt they are hiding the facts, they know the full story here and Edward's history.

I'm interested in a level playing field, again the cheats are laughing at us suckers that follow the sport thinking that it is level.

hujsh
27-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes just what the cheats want - transparency. There is more to this story than just a matter of speeding and a drink driving 1 off.
The AFL don't want to know cos a story like this can only harm their image. Deny all til its obvious.
You think North handled perfectly, seems to me they have taken WCE approach. He is a required player just they can't sack him, stuff like this will it bites them on the backside later. No doubt they are hiding the facts, they know the full story here and Edward's history.

I'm interested in a level playing field, again the cheats are laughing at us suckers that follow the sport thinking that it is level.

What should have been done in your opinion? I've only seen Cousins sacked (If that was a sacking) so that's very doubtful.

ledge
27-01-2009, 09:10 PM

How is drink driving cheating?

LostDoggy
27-01-2009, 09:45 PM
I never said drink driving was cheating. I said there is more to the story. Why would a guy caught speeding thats breath tested positive not go to the station for the full tests?

LostDoggy
27-01-2009, 09:47 PM
What should have been done in your opinion? I've only seen Cousins sacked (If that was a sacking) so that's very doubtful.

North can do what they want, they won't sack him because he isn't a bad player.
My issue is that there is more to the story.

GVGjr
27-01-2009, 09:54 PM
What should happen to him? Was the fine and suspension sufficient? Should they simply have sacked him?

It's a shame that guys like Nathan Thompson who wanted to play on couldn't be kept when guys like Edwards apparently don't appreciate their 2nd or even 3rd chances. He's not a walk up start in the side either so he must be on very shaky ground.

LostDoggy
27-01-2009, 11:30 PM
What should happen to him? Was the fine and suspension sufficient? Should they simply have sacked him?

It's a shame that guys like Nathan Thompson who wanted to play on couldn't be kept when guys like Edwards apparently don't appreciate their 2nd or even 3rd chances. He's not a walk up start in the side either so he must be on very shaky ground.

Not sure I wouldn't have recruited a guy like that in the first place. I would have put him on strict conditions, now broken twice he should have been gone.
I think he is a good player when fit.

LostDoggy
27-01-2009, 11:43 PM
At least it is to our advantage we play North in round two.

The Underdog
28-01-2009, 10:04 AM
At least it is to our advantage we play North in round two.

Recent history would suggest that playing North at all is a disadvantage to us. They own us at the moment.

LostDoggy
28-01-2009, 11:15 AM
I never said drink driving was cheating. I said there is more to the story. Why would a guy caught speeding thats breath tested positive not go to the station for the full tests?

He went to the Station but refused the Test

Why? Because he was on his way to training

A bit like Greg Blewitt get pinged on his way to a match - got a few runs too.

Might be the answer!

bulldogtragic
28-01-2009, 12:32 PM
He went to the Station but refused the Test

Why? Because he was on his way to training

A bit like Greg Blewitt get pinged on his way to a match - got a few runs too.

Might be the answer!
Depending on the location of the intercept to the nearest station with a machine and on-duty sergeant, it is likely that it would have taken no longer than 30 minutes to do the test.

Sorry, i don't think that is the logical answer.

KT31
28-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Is Edwards one of the players suspected of two strikes ?

Desipura
28-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Is Edwards one of the players suspected of two strikes ?
No, they are both well known Hawthorn players

KT31
28-01-2009, 01:09 PM
No, they are both well known Hawthorn players

I know that the stolen Doctors files were Hawthorn players.
I could be mistaken, but I thought that three interstate player were on two strikes when Edwards was with West Coast.

mighty_west
28-01-2009, 01:34 PM

So do you honestly believe North handled this badly by getting on the front foot and letting the media know the complete details and to suspend the player?

azabob
28-01-2009, 01:47 PM

So you reckon he had other "substances" in his body as well as alcohol? Interesting never really thought of that. Funny thing is W/C didn't rate him enough to keep him.

mighty_west
28-01-2009, 02:02 PM
So you reckon he had other "substances" in his body as well as alcohol? Interesting never really thought of that. Funny thing is W/C didn't rate him enough to keep him.

No other AFL team really rated him either, until he had a 100 goal season at Frankston.

LostDoggy
28-01-2009, 02:12 PM
So do you honestly believe North handled this badly by getting on the front foot and letting the media know the complete details and to suspend the player?

I don't believe they handled this badly, in terms they did what they thought is best for their club at the time. Whether what they did is morally right and whether there will be long term issues is a different matter.

LostDoggy
28-01-2009, 02:13 PM

WCE rated him enough to draft him, he was well known to them and mentioned in the Kerr tapes. He was delisted for more than just football reasons.

ledge
28-01-2009, 08:59 PM
I dont know the rules here but if Nth sacked him would the AFL allow them to bring in a rookie?
If not, then Nth would be playing one player short on the list for the rest of the season through no fault of their own.
Could this be why some players arent sacked but moved on or delisted at the end of the year?
We dont have a mid season draft or whatever to compensate for players who stuff up through no fault of the club, sadly clubs are penalised for this.
Its okay to write up contracts for players to behave but if they dont the club suffers.
What are the rules and regs if you sack a player?

Dogs 24/7
28-01-2009, 09:23 PM
He should be kicked to the curb. He's had enough chances.

bulldogtragic
05-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Got 4 year cancellation and disqualification of licence and $1500 fine. Plus $5000 club fine.

Well, they knew what he was like when they drafted him.

This ranks at the very, very pointy end of traffic sentencing. So who at North is responsible for transporting him around Melbourne and Australia for the next 4 years???

Desipura
05-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Got 4 year cancellation and disqualification of licence and $1500 fine. Plus $5000 club fine.

Well, they knew what he was like when they drafted him.

This ranks at the very, very pointy end of traffic sentencing. So who at North is responsible for transporting him around Melbourne and Australia for the next 4 years???
so why has this been brought forward again????????:confused:

The Coon Dog
05-05-2009, 02:19 PM
so why has this been brought forward again????????:confused:
Because Edwards appeared in Melbourne Magistrates Court and pleaded guilty yesterday afternoon.

Roos star Edwards banned from driving (http://www.theage.com.au/national/roos-star-edwards-banned-from-driving-20090505-at9s.html)

Rocket Science
05-05-2009, 02:37 PM
So who at North is responsible for transporting him around Melbourne and Australia for the next 4 years???

Suspect he'll be taking a leaf out of Shane Wakelin's book.

Either that or Sam Power can make himself more useful.

I jest, I jest.

LostDoggy
05-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Maybe Nanna Edwards can give him a left from A to B..