PDA

View Full Version : Intra Club

The Coon Dog
02-02-2009, 07:17 PM
When:Fri 20 Feb
Time: 4pm
Where: Whitten Oval

Spectators welcome to attend. While you're there, why not pop into Bulldogs Central & pick up your memberships/merchandise.

There is also an intra club practice match on Wed 4 Feb 10am for those who can skive off work.

LostDoggy
02-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Yay i can go to this, i finish work at 3.30 and only work in Nth Melb hehe, will be leaving work at 3.30 on the dot as wel. Cant make it this Wednesday tho, think i may be pushing my luck a little bit to much to ask for it off for an intra club game haha.

mighty_west
03-02-2009, 01:19 PM
4pm Friday? awesome, i'll be able to have a look as well.

LostDoggy
03-02-2009, 01:24 PM
I have that day off...awesome. Im there and ill be redeeming my cap & buying highlights dvd 2008 i think :)

LostDoggy
03-02-2009, 02:33 PM
i'll be there!!

I'll be able to walk to the ground for the very first time, it's gonna be emotional!

The Coon Dog
03-02-2009, 02:44 PM
i'll be there!!

I'll be able to walk to the ground for the very first time, it's gonna be emotional!
Be a nice toch if they had the Hyde Street School Band there.

Boom, boom, boom
Boom, boom, boom
Nah, nah, nanah
Naarh, naarh, naarh, naaarh!

Twodogs
03-02-2009, 03:44 PM
i'll be there!!

Stop by my pace and pick me up on the way mate.

Then we can have lunch at the Buck.

LostDoggy
03-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Stop by my pace and pick me up on the way mate.

Then we can have lunch at the Buck.

it's a date!!

Do you prefer chocolates or flowers?

LostDoggy
03-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Be a nice toch if they had the Hyde Street School Band there.

Boom, boom, boom
Boom, boom, boom
Nah, nah, nanah
Naarh, naarh, naarh, naaarh!

Not to mention a plentiful suppy of 20c peices locked and loaded!!

Cyberdoggie
04-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Ahh nuts i missed the post.

I would of been there today otherwise.

Oh well i'll have to wait till the 20th.

Cyberdoggie
04-02-2009, 12:36 PM
isn't it odd that we are having the "official" intra club after the rnd 1 nab cup?

aker39
04-02-2009, 01:22 PM
isn't it odd that we are having the "official" intra club after the rnd 1 nab cup?

Maybe because so many of our players are not ready to play this week.

Also, we have a week off between round 1 and 2 of the NAB Cup.

Twodogs
04-02-2009, 01:55 PM
I went down today

-Minson looks a lot more comfortable at FF. Led well and marked well.

-Ayce Cordy is going to be a player. His anticipation and ability to get into a marking contest are great but when the ball hits the ground his skills are amazing. Also towelled Hudson up in the ruck in the first quarter

-we are all going to have several heart attacks each if the defence muck around with the ball the way they did today.

-Gilbee looks bigger and more aggresive.

-look for a big year from Callan Ward-the kid oozes class.

-Jordan Roughead is a monster of a kid. I wouldnt be suprised if he plays this year.

-Shaggy played the whole game in the forward line. I dont know about this.

Happy to answer any questions but I wont be around much until tomorrow.

LostDoggy
04-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Good report

Did Griffindor play? And did he go up forward much?

Mantis
04-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Good report

Did Griffindor play? And did he go up forward much?

Is he a new player?

LostDoggy
04-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Nah same player that deserves heaps of different nicknames cause hes gunna be a star.

Another Eg. Freight Train

bulldogtragic
04-02-2009, 03:00 PM
I went down today

-Ayce Cordy is going to be a player. His anticipation and ability to get into a marking contest are great but when the ball hits the ground his skills are amazing. Also towelled Hudson up in the ruck in the first quarter

-we are all going to have several heart attacks each if the defence muck around with the ball the way they did today.

-Jordan Roughead is a monster of a kid. I wouldnt be suprised if he plays this year.

Quality talls in the rw&b...

Really... Please don't hurt me, i've been hurt too many times before.

Go_Dogs
04-02-2009, 03:01 PM
I went down today

Interesting, especially given what AAD posted about the TopDogs group.

Who took his spot down back?

dog town
04-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Not sure why we would consider moving Hargrave. H ewas arguably our best and most consistent player for a significant part of last season. Players who can be relied upon to shut out a dangerous player week in and week out do noy grow on trees. He is also an incredibly important attacking player in the backline.

LostDoggy
04-02-2009, 04:25 PM
I went down today

Did Okeefe play?

The Coon Dog
04-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Did Okeefe play?

Have you read the injury report?

Bulldog Revolution
04-02-2009, 05:25 PM

Interesting - given we have a few of those back pocket/flanker types in Morris, Gilbee, Callan and Tiller plus a fit Lake and Williams in defence then it's certainly worth exploring Hargrave up forward.

I'd be interested to hear your impressions of both Picken and Jamason

Sockeye Salmon
04-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Interesting - given we have a few of those back pocket/flanker types in Morris, Gilbee, Callan and Tiller plus a fit Lake and Williams in defence then it's certainly worth exploring Hargrave up forward.

You're assuming Tiller could cover Hargrave's role which I would have thought would be drawing a very long bow.

LostDoggy
04-02-2009, 06:35 PM
I would throw Everitt and Addison into that mix as well. With Lake and Williams covering Key defensive posts, you have Morris, Everitt or Tiller to cover the trird tall? I guess the ultimate question is would they give away more goals than Hargrave could score/create up forward.

How did he play up forward in the intra-club?

westdog54
04-02-2009, 06:45 PM
When:Fri 20 Feb
Time: 4pm
Where: Whitten Oval

Spectators welcome to attend. While you're there, why not pop into Bulldogs Central & pick up your memberships/merchandise.

There is also an intra club practice match on Wed 4 Feb 10am for those who can skive off work.

Hmm, 4pm start...

What are my odds of getting to WO if I leave Glen Waverley at 3.05?

LostDoggy
04-02-2009, 06:55 PM

Need Hargrave down there for his run and disposal. Callan,Tiller,Morris,Addison,LAke and Williams all in one backline is a recipe for disaster.

Cyberdoggie
04-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Hargrave up forward is probably more just to make life different for Shaggy.

He's been there many years now and every year back flank. He's not going to learn anything more there now, why not make things interesting for him at this point in the season.

bulldogsman
04-02-2009, 08:31 PM

He's been there many years now and every year back flank. He's not going to learn anything more there now, why not make things interesting for him at this point in the season.

Exactly. I think it's a great experiment to try, it's basically what the NAB cup is for. We need a few tall players in the forward line, if it doesn't work then who cares.

I do hope Grant is right to play for NAB cup, apparently injured himself

There's a bigger report here (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538369)

Cyberdoggie
04-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Hmm, 4pm start...

What are my odds of getting to WO if I leave Glen Waverley at 3.05?

by car or train?

if your going by train it will probably take a little of an hour. (allow 35-50min to get to flinders, depending on if your get a train straight away, another 15min wait and then another 20min train ride to whitten oval)

by car you will make it in 45 if you go on thte freeway and it's not fubared at the tunnel.

what are u doing out in the G.W.?
aren't you an outer westy?

alwaysadog
05-02-2009, 12:05 AM

Shaggy has many things to contribute up forward when he can be spared from other duties. Two qualities that might see him playing cameos up forward; he is a very accurate kick and he can get a kick away quickly and under great pressure.
I don't expect him to play a whole game there unless someone got hurt and he was filling in, but I would not be surprised to see him in a rotation from HBF to Wing to HFF, when not needed to do an all day shut down on someone.

Makes another option that oppositions have to deal with.

Bulldog Revolution
05-02-2009, 11:28 AM
You're assuming Tiller could cover Hargrave's role which I would have thought would be drawing a very long bow.

I think a combination of Tiller, Callan and Addison might be able to cover Hargraves role at times. Remembering Hargrave spent more of 2009 on small forwards, and Callan and Addison spent significant chunks injured.

Tiller would not be the first matchup I'd go to on a small forward and would appear more suited to the 3rd tall type.

LostDoggy
05-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Need Hargrave down there for his run and disposal. Callan,Tiller,Morris,Addison,LAke and Williams all in one backline is a recipe for disaster.

Williams is a decent kick, but agree with the rest of the list -- not one real passer in that group. Lake can bomb it long as long as he doesn't try to be too cute, but I have little confidence that any of the others can get the ball out of the backline consistently and without conceding possession, which leaves us in the same position as the last couple of years of Gilbee being the only decent outlet from the backline, which means that teams just tag him and the ball just pin-balls back in when one of the other guys kicks it to no one.

Shaggy needs to stay back (unless Rocket has a master plan for Ward to play out of the half-back line), but there's no harm in him learning a couple of new tricks to give the team some Adam Hunter type flexibility.

westdog54
05-02-2009, 07:57 PM
by car or train?

if your going by train it will probably take a little of an hour. (allow 35-50min to get to flinders, depending on if your get a train straight away, another 15min wait and then another 20min train ride to whitten oval)

by car you will make it in 45 if you go on thte freeway and it's not fubared at the tunnel.

what are u doing out in the G.W.?
aren't you an outer westy?

I am an outer Westy but I'm at the VicPol Academy atm. Friday is an early start/early finish so we're out at 3. I'll be driving. If I'm out early enough the tunnel shouldn't be so bad.

Bumper Bulldogs
06-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Shaggy needs to stay back (unless Rocket has a master plan for Ward to play out of the half-back line), but there's no harm in him learning a couple of new tricks to give the team some Adam Hunter type flexibility.

Agree shaggy to the back line but could we try to free up Gilbee and play him off the wing.

The Coon Dog
06-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Agree shaggy to the back line but could we try to free up Gilbee and play him off the wing.

Who brings the ball out of defence then?

firstdogonthemoon
07-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Who brings the ball out of defence then?

jeez can you get rid of that thingy in your signature? it takes up half the screen - put a picture of a duck or something

azabob
07-02-2009, 03:54 PM

Not sure why you would want to bring Gilbee up to the wing. He plays extremely well from the back line / half back line. He knows his role, understands it and executes it to perfection.

LostDoggy
09-02-2009, 12:29 PM
In my opinion; rebounding defenders are absolutely crucial in the game today. The four walk up starters of the back six are Lake (FB), Williams (CHB), Gilbee (HBF) and Morris (BP), that leaves two spots, one purely defensive, and one offensive. Can we afford to have Griffen play as the offensive HBF? Could he play the role Luke Hodge did off the HBF in the Grand final with the same level of skill and aggression, or is he to important to the midfield?

lemmon
10-02-2009, 07:32 PM
In my opinion; rebounding defenders are absolutely crucial in the game today. The four walk up starters of the back six are Lake (FB), Williams (CHB), Gilbee (HBF) and Morris (BP), that leaves two spots, one purely defensive, and one offensive. Can we afford to have Griffen play as the offensive HBF? Could he play the role Luke Hodge did off the HBF in the Grand final with the same level of skill and aggression, or is he to important to the midfield?

Not sure Griff reads the ball in the air as well as hodgey does so i doubt he could play as the guy that cuts in front of the leading forwards to spoil/mark the ball.

LostDoggy
10-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Not sure Griff reads the ball in the air as well as hodgey does so i doubt he could play as the guy that cuts in front of the leading forwards to spoil/mark the ball.
They are very different players. Hodge has far more finesse than Griffen and his kicking skills are up there with the best in the competition.

Mantis
17-02-2009, 10:03 PM
I was down at the club tonight and saw a note on the wall promoting this game.

The time the game starts reads 4.00pm, but there was a little asterix beside with a note at the bottom which read something like:

* Game time dependant on weather conditions.

At present the forecasted temp. is 29 so I guess watch this space for further details.

Cyberdoggie
18-02-2009, 05:00 PM
I was down at the club tonight and saw a note on the wall promoting this game.

The time the game starts reads 4.00pm, but there was a little asterix beside with a note at the bottom which read something like:

* Game time dependant on weather conditions.

At present the forecasted temp. is 29 so I guess watch this space for further details.

i think 29 should be fine.

Forecast for Friday
Partly cloudy. Isolated showers developing in the evening. Light winds tending south to southwesterly up to 20 km/h by early evening.

CityLate shower or two.Min16Max29

that doesn't sound too scary. There is always a nice breeze in the afternoon at Whitten Oval anyway. I think it's cooler in the afternoon's than the mornings there, as you get full sun early and the grandstand also gets the eastern sun. Where as in the afternoon the grandstands are in shade.

It's a pity that this match is occuring after the nab cup game as it sort of takes the gloss off. Intra club for me has always been about the first real taste of footy for the year, and being excited about who are the new guys coming through etc. We've had a taste of that already last friday with many of the young kids playing against Essendon and playing well.

Regardless it will still be interesting to see the younger guys try and serve it up to some of their more senior team mates.

GVGjr
20-02-2009, 07:44 AM
Should be worth a watch today.

Griffen Ready to Play (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25080251-19742,00.html)

Mark Stevens | February 20, 2009 12:00am

WESTERN Bulldogs midfield star Ryan Griffen will have his first hit-out of the season in the club's intra-club practice match at Whitten Oval today.

Griffen missed the Dogs' opening NAB Cup clash against Essendon following the death of his father John after a long battle with cancer.

He returned yesterday from a fortnight in South Australia with his family.

The Dogs were confident his fitness would not be dramatically affected by the break.

"The fact he's had a really good pre-season, he's not going to drop a lot," Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade said.

"He has done some training. (Assistant coach) Leon Cameron went over there for a couple of days to help him out.

"Obviously, not being with the group, he is going to miss out a little bit, so we'll do some extra running with him on Saturday and build him up.

"He will play every week from now until the season starts."

Forward Scott Welsh will also make his first appearance, returning from back soreness.

Veteran skipper Brad Johnson will be rested from the 4pm intra-club match after playing against the Bombers.

Defender Brian Lake has been given the day off as part of his program.

Lake had hip surgery before Christmas, and the Dogs saw no need to play him this week.

He will play the remaining three practice games, starting with next Friday's clash with St Kilda at Visy Park.

Robert Murphy, Adam Cooney, Mitch Hahn and Jason Akermanis are not ready.

Defender Stephen Tiller, who has a badly corked calf, will also be an onlooker.

comrade
20-02-2009, 06:32 PM
The intra-club match should just about be wrapped up by now. Any in depth reports for the unfortunate sods stuck at work on a Friday arvo would be very much appreciated.

Mantis
20-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Just got back from the game. Haven't got a lot of time to do a write-up, but some main points:

* Pretty scrappy game, kicking skills weren't helped by a typical windy WO.

* Sitting out were: Cooney, Lake, Aker, Johnson, Murphy, Reid, Jones, Hahn, Tiller, Williams, O'Shea - Up to 10 or 12 Williamstown player's played.

* Player's who performed well: Higgins, Griffen, Stack, Cordy, Minson

* Good signs from Lynch & Roughead.

dogman
20-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Just got back.

Higgins has taken the next step, really looks fit and strong.

Griffen did some amazing things, he also looks fitter too.

Hargrave came off in the 3rd quarter after a knock to angle but didn't seem to bad.

Everitt wore fluro top, so couldn't get tackled, showed some good signs. With marking and kicking.

Minson, Cordy and Grant played mainly forward in the white team and Roughhead and Welsh for the Blue team.

It was good to see Boumann out there, also showed a few good sign

The guys I couldn't see were, Aker, Murphy, Cooney, Johno, Williams, Hahn, Tiller, Reid and Jones. Disappointed not to see Williams play but I did see him coming out of the Gym so maybe just being didn't want totake the risk yet.

I Suppose everyone showed something but no one really stood out apart from Higgins and Griffen.

Sockeye Salmon
20-02-2009, 08:01 PM
I thought Giansiracusa, Everitt, Higgins and Griffen were the standouts for mine.

We played the 18 man zone thing that looks ugly. There were a few easy goals kicked by forwards hanging out forward of the ball while their opponent pushed up the ground to join in the flood.

Dry Rot
20-02-2009, 08:05 PM
How big is Everitt these days? Could he play a KPP role this season? Could be very useful down back when Williams gets injured.

Mantis
20-02-2009, 08:13 PM
How big is Everitt these days? Could he play a KPP role this season? Could be very useful down back when Williams gets injured.

Similiar size to last year. Don't think he is ready to play KP yet, but looks set to play as a tall running option off the wing or half back.

He wore a coloured vest meaning he wasn't to be engaged in the rough stuff.

As with SS I thought he was pretty good.

Dry Rot
20-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks

The Bulldogs Bite
20-02-2009, 08:15 PM
* Higgins looks very good. He's moving exceptionally well, he looks a completely different player IMO - much leaner. HOWEVER - his disposal was woeful. He uses his left too much and often tries doing something a little too cute. Additionally, he held onto the ball too long, focused too much on trying to draw players rather than playing it simple. This resulted in him coughing it up a number of times. All in all - he is moving very well, creating space very well and running hard to recieve the ball, but he needs to work on his disposal/decision making atm. On the plus side - he had the ball on a string, including several center clearances.

* Lynch was super impressive. Probably within the top three on the ground. He ran very hard and his pressure skills were fantastic. He was extremely sharp and zippy, running down players, getting the ball in traffic and weaving through players, running around players etc. He looked in great nick - I was really pleased. He could be a wild card with his pace.

* Stack was pretty impressive too. His ability to leap and take a mark off one step is second to none. He displayed this twice in awesome fashion. In one instance, he looked out of position and he had two opponents to contend with. Yet - he leaped himself into the air and pulled down a seriously strong grab. He followed that bit of play up with some magic too - it looked brillant, the crowd was wow'ed. This was the best I've seen him - he looked like he belonged.

* Gia looks fit and continues to work really hard. The amount of work this guy does probably goes un-noticed, but he really busts a gut out there. Picked up plenty of possessions and looks set for another strong season.

* Minson did pretty well as did Welsh. Both were tidy up forward and Minson was OK around the ground too.

* Grant didn't get a lot of it, but boy can he mark. Took two good grabs, one in particular was on a fast lead under extreme pressure and it was a clean, one take. Real encouraging signs there. On the down side, his kicking hasn't improved judging on the shot he had. Still - he shows he's capable of playing as a CHF, working hard and often dishing off handballs to the runners.

* Boumann was playing on Cordy and even though he was beaten, he did OK himself. Few nice possessions and so fourth. Cordy found a bit of space and has good skills. He's very clean with his hands too - able to pick a rolling ball off the ground pretty well. It's early days, but a combo of Grant/Cordy looks good.

* Griff was classy and kicked a couple. Showcased his strength a few times, breaking tackles with absolute ease and then running on and kicking 50+. He looks in great shape, can't wait for the year ahead.

* Everitt wore a fluro vest to distinguish himself from the rest of the group, so as he wouldn't be tackled, and he did OK. Quiet in the first half but worked himself into the game nicely in the second. Picked up a few posssessions and had plenty of penetration in his kicking. Hard to tell - but he looked OK anyway from what I could tell.

* Addison and Callan are both in our best 22. It'll probably be hard to take one of them out, too. They don't seem to do a whole lot wrong. As usual, they were hard and tough, fired handballs out and were tidy with disposal. A knock on both of these players were their disposal - but IMO they work well within their limitations. Callan particularly, who even provides a bit of run off half back.

* Ward doesn't seem to get a heap of it, but what he does do is relatively clean. His disposal generally good, but also capable of winning a hard ball. To be a midfielder he needs to find more of the ball though. But again - early days, it's only season number two.

If I think of more, I'll add later. Roughead looked promissing, Hill did a couple of nice things, Eagleton played well, Hargrave suffered an ankle injury but seemed OK. Skills were pretty ordinary but the wind didn't help.

Dogs 24/7
20-02-2009, 08:47 PM
This is getting ridiculous with all the posturing from the club that Williams will play and when it comes to the crunch he doesn't. I'm not sure what advantage the club gets out of doing this but they must be intentionally misleading us and the media all the time for a good reason.

firstdogonthemoon
20-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Who was number 1 for the blue team? He was a little bloke but he got a lot of it.

LostDoggy
20-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Just got back from the game. Haven't got a lot of time to do a write-up, but some main points:

* Pretty scrappy game, kicking skills weren't helped by a typical windy WO.

* Sitting out were: Cooney, Lake, Aker, Johnson, Murphy, Reid, Jones, Hahn, Tiller, Williams, O'Shea - Up to 10 or 12 Williamstown player's played.

* Player's who performed well: Higgins, Griffen, Stack, Cordy, Minson

* Good signs from Lynch & Roughead.

Did Wood & Okeefe play?

craigsahibee
20-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Had to laugh today when Grant was having a shot for goal on the grandstand side of the ground at the Barkly St end. All the players around the mark wearing blue jumpers were telling him he was going to miss, "just like last week" were their exact words. He missed.

Scorlibo
20-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Had to laugh today when Grant was having a shot for goal on the grandstand side of the ground at the Barkly St end. All the players around the mark wearing blue jumpers were telling him he was going to miss, "just like last week" were their exact words. He missed.

Ha ha that is funny, and it tells me that Grant is usually reliable in front of goals, if he wasn't then they wouldn't be sledging him and explicitly referring to last week.

Mantis
20-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Did Wood & Okeefe play?

Wood definitely did, wore a fluoro vest, played on Everitt for the entire game and did some good things.

O'Keefe was listed and there was definitely a no.30 in the blue colours, just not sure if it was him as I didn't notice him getting too much of the ball. Maybe his body shape or hair cut was different to last season.

alwaysadog
21-02-2009, 12:07 AM
A few thoughts on the game today
• Not a very high standard game and those not likely to play this year at AFL level were usually matched up on each other eg Bouman on Cordy for most of the second half. So while I would not get carried away or go too far with the predictions of immediate first team games those two plus Roughie did enough to suggest that the future is looking up.
• Higgins and Griffin were my standouts. With some luck with injuries our new No 7 should have a big year and this will strengthen our explosive drive from ball ups etc and prevent too much attention being paid to the Brownlow medalist
• “The Pin” will get plenty of games if he continues to play as well as he did today i.e. Lynch
• Stack got more of the ball sometimes in very heavy traffic and looked to have improved with last Friday’s outing
• Grant got brought back to earth playing on HFF and matched up by smaller but close checking opponents. He didn’t react well to shanking the early shot and he got worked over by Addison in the second half who left him just enough room to breathe but not a fraction more. In one period of play an out of position Addie laid a tackle and broke the ball loose on the ground. Addie followed up with 2nd, 3rd and 4th efforts until he forced a ball up. Grant should have learned a lot about intensity today.
• Addison looks set for a big year and his kicking looks to have improved
• Coons looked the part at the breaks resplendent in white framed sunnies and board shorts carrying his young child. Life’s a beach for some.

Sockeye Salmon
21-02-2009, 10:17 AM
O'Keefe was listed and there was definitely a no.30 in the blue colours, just not sure if it was him as I didn't notice him getting too much of the ball. Maybe his body shape or hair cut was different to last season.

It was O'Keefe, they were calling him OKey.

He's changed his shape a bit from last year, doesn't seem to be carrying as much weight around his arse.

GVGjr
21-02-2009, 10:26 AM
It was O'Keefe, they were calling him OKey.

He's changed his shape a bit from last year, doesn't seem to be carrying as much weight around his arse.

He has slimmed down a bit and improved his running a lot. Hopefully he will have the engine to perform for longer periods in the midfield.

Normally they call him Ocka.

Cyberdoggie
21-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Wood definitely did, wore a fluoro vest, played on Everitt for the entire game and did some good things.

Any word on why he was wearing the "don't touch me" vest?

He was on fire against the dons but looked sluggish yesterday. Also had the skins on so i'm guessing he's just a little sore, perhaps a groin complaint?

Go_Dogs
21-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the reports. Sounds like it was a good hit out.

Glad to hear some positives about Lynch.

Bulldog Revolution
21-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Griffen and Higgins the standouts - some super clean takeaways from centre bounces and plenty of touches around the ground. Gia very good - goals and took a few heavy hits. Lynch the surprise packet, played well also, dynamite on the overlap, won his own ball also.

Roughead showed a lot of promise - kicked well up forward competed well in the ruck, and generally just looked the part. Ayce did some nice things, has good hands and great vision but is still miles off being physically ready so unlike todays Herald-Sun I still think he's a long way off. He was not used in the ruck at all.

Welsh was very good up forward, Hudons good in the ruck, Callan solid, Cross and Boyd both their usual workman like selves.

Hard to completely evaluate Everitt as he as a non tacklable, but he got more of it as the game went on.

O'Keefe looked a little short of a gallop and was not a huge factor. Stack did a few great things but didn't have heaps of it.

Shaw and Mulligan played as key defenders, Grant played as the third tall across half forward, and was matched up by Addison.

Hill played half forward and was matched up by Liam Picken, who made a couple of mistakes but got on top and shut Hill out of the game.

Stevo
21-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Shaw and Mulligan played as key defenders, Grant played as the third tall across half forward, and was matched up by Addison.

How did both of the big blokes perform as key defenders? I know Mulligan is mobile but I wouldn't know if Shaw is mobile enough. If either of these guys could become a viable option as a key defender somewhere down the track it would a nice bonus for the side.

How did Addison perform?

Sockeye Salmon
21-02-2009, 03:45 PM
How did both of the big blokes perform as key defenders? I know Mulligan is mobile but I wouldn't know if Shaw is mobile enough. If either of these guys could become a viable option as a key defender somewhere down the track it would a nice bonus for the side.

How did Addison perform?

Mulligan lacks intensity. He played on Roughead and allowed him a chest mark in the goalsquare when he really should have been able to spoil.

Kicks it like a mule.

Stevo
21-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Mulligan lacks intensity. He played on Roughead and allowed him a chest mark in the goalsquare when he really should have been able to spoil.

Kicks it like a mule.

What about Shaw? Any chance that he could be used effectively as a defender?

Mantis
21-02-2009, 04:38 PM
What about Shaw? Any chance that he could be used effectively as a defender?

From what I have seen I don't think he is mobile enough to play as a tall defender.

Bulldog Revolution
21-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Mulligan does indeed kick like a mule, he snuck forward and got the end of some play and slapped one through from 55-60m with the breeze that cleared the goal line easily

It was impossible to fully evaluate Shaw based on yesterday, he looked ok but was perhaps not matched up on the quickest players as I think he had Hudson when resting forward, and Wight some of the time

It's a good move for both Shaw and Mulligan with respect to there development

Addison was on top of JGrant all day. Looks fit and confident.