PDA

View Full Version : Our own WOOF!

LostDoggy
19-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Carlton have has a long history of yelling WOOF when players with booming kicks got the ball. I think it started with Val Perovic and then later with Ang Christou and every time one of them was about to kick the ball the crowd would yell out as one...WOOF.

I reckon it's something that the Doggies supporters should embrace and my recommendation is that every time Lindsay Gilbee gets the ball our supporters should do the same.
Is this something that would add a bit to the club, the player and the supporters each week?
Is there a better candidate in our team?

I love it when the crowd yells for Cooney and I'd like to see more of it with some other players.

Does anyone else agree?

alwaysadog
19-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Worth a try but how do we build enough support to be heard?

firstdogonthemoon
19-03-2007, 06:57 PM
I am all over this like a fungus.

happy to make a fool of myself

doesnt the cheer squad *cough cough* need to drive something like this though?

alwaysadog
19-03-2007, 07:04 PM
I am all over this like a fungus.

happy to make a fool of myself

doesnt the cheer squad *cough cough* need to drive something like this though?

OK so the question is who should tell them so they think its their idea. I have no contacts but the CS reminds me of an old stick in the mud boss I once had. Could be persuaded to do anything as long as you pretended it was his idea and gave him whatever glory ensued.

southerncross
19-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Worth a try but how do we build enough support to be heard?

I'm pretty sure the whole Cooney crowd chant was manufactured but just a handful of passionate supporters.
The cheer squad is the obvious answer. Gary Munn (or a name like that) plus Dave Porter might be the answer.

FDOTM could probably rally the troops better than most. Anyone up for contacting the cheer squad and seeing if they would add some support to it?

Handing out flyers with the instructions before the game might get some more people involved.

Mofra
19-03-2007, 08:07 PM
We could make it our own by cheering afterwards too - given Gilbee actually hits targets and not just "makes up distance" with the kick.

I suppose the suggestion of cheek-flapping to make a sort of weak nautical sound everytime Ryan "Flounder" Griffen gets the ball is just too much to expect of our supporter base? :p

firstdogonthemoon
19-03-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm pretty sure the whole Cooney crowd chant was manufactured but just a handful of passionate supporters.
The cheer squad is the obvious answer. Gary Munn (or a name like that) plus Dave Porter might be the answer.

FDOTM could probably rally the troops better than most. Anyone up for contacting the cheer squad and seeing if they would add some support to it?

Handing out flyers with the instructions before the game might get some more people involved.

I am afraid of the cheer squad. But I am happy to take my clothes off if that will help.

alwaysadog
19-03-2007, 08:36 PM
I am afraid of the cheer squad. But I am happy to take my clothes off if that will help.

I've never seen you FDOTM so I'm not sure which of the alternatives frightens me more.

bornadog
19-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Great Idea, I think an official note to the Cheer Squad from this website management or to do it.

firstdogonthemoon
19-03-2007, 11:37 PM
I've never seen you FDOTM so I'm not sure which of the alternatives frightens me more.

I am enormously handsome.

Twodogs
20-03-2007, 01:43 PM
I am enormously handsome.

You're enormous anyway.

firstdogonthemoon
20-03-2007, 02:14 PM
You're enormous anyway.

Somebody has to be.

The Coon Dog
20-03-2007, 08:23 PM
You're enormous anyway.
Gold! :D

firstdogonthemoon
20-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Gold! :D

You're laughing?

alwaysadog
20-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Well who is doing what and when? Very little time to get this organised.

southerncross
21-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Well who is doing what and when? Very little time to get this organised.

Is anyone is interested in speaking to the Cheer Squad with this proposal?

firstdogonthemoon
21-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Is anyone is interested in speaking to the Cheer Squad with this proposal?

We need someone who is known to the club - but has no political baggage.

westdog54
21-03-2007, 12:34 PM

Has Twodogs returned that training footy yet?

GVGjr
21-03-2007, 01:08 PM

I'd be happy to contact the club with the proposal if someone can be bothered writing it up for them. After listening to Rose on SEN today the club seems open to new suggestions. This would fit in well with the whole strategy behind the towels that Rose talked about today.

westdog54
21-03-2007, 01:56 PM
I'd be happy to contact the club with the proposal if someone can be bothered writing it up for them. After listening to Rose on SEN today the club seems open to new suggestions. This would fit in well with the whole strategy behind the towels that Rose talked about today.

What would need to be written GVGjr? If I had a bit of a guideline to follow I'll give it a go.

Twodogs
22-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Has Twodogs returned that training footy yet?

I'll keep it if it annoys the cheer squad in any way.

alwaysadog
25-03-2007, 10:00 PM
What would need to be written GVGjr? If I had a bit of a guideline to follow I'll give it a go.

My suggestion would be an over the top approach. Something like:

The Western Bulldogs Cheer Squad

Dear fellow supporters of our great team,

A recent on-line discussion of Cam Rose’s call for initiatives to increase spectator involvement by posters on the woof.net.au board (the most well informed and in depth analysis available on the Net about all things Bulldog) concluded that this was a chance to right an age old slur that had been cast on our club.

We noted that some years ago Carlton stole the WOOF call that is by rights ours alone and used it to mark every time a particular player kicked the ball. Our combined determination is that we should liberate the misappropriated property and return it to its rightful owners, the Bulldog supporters.

We already have the Cooooooon call every time our young champion sinks the slipper, but we concluded that the best kick in football, one Lindsay Gilbee has not yet been given the public accolades our adoring fans feel is his due. This deplorable situation must be remedied.

Every time Lindsay’s foot makes its aristocratic connection with the air conveyance the WOOF cry should resound through the stadium in which we are playing no matter where we are in combat across the length and breadth of our great land.

So we are calling on you as our natural leaders in the battle against our off field enemies to show leadership. We need an organised and well coordinated force to launch this assault and your efforts were held to not only be equal to the task but exactly the right weapon to lead us in this new battle.

We will be at your side the whole way in the march towards football’s Holy Grail; the 2007 Premiership. Give us the chance to liberate the WOOF cry.

Yours in football

GVGjr
25-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Well I think AAD has nailed it. Does someone want to run with this?

firstdogonthemoon
26-03-2007, 05:51 AM
My suggestion would be an over the top approach. Something like:

The Western Bulldogs Cheer Squad

Dear fellow supporters of our great team,

A recent on-line discussion of Cam Rose’s call for initiatives to increase spectator involvement by posters on the woof.net.au board (the most well informed and in depth analysis available on the Net about all things Bulldog) concluded that this was a chance to right an age old slur that had been cast on our club.

We noted that some years ago Carlton stole the WOOF call that is by rights ours alone and used it to mark every time a particular player kicked the ball. Our combined determination is that we should liberate the misappropriated property and return it to its rightful owners, the Bulldog supporters.

We already have the Cooooooon call every time our young champion sinks the slipper, but we concluded that the best kick in football, one Lindsay Gilbee has not yet been given the public accolades our adoring fans feel is his due. This deplorable situation must be remedied.

Every time Lindsay’s foot makes its aristocratic connection with the air conveyance the WOOF cry should resound through the stadium in which we are playing no matter where we are in combat across the length and breadth of our great land.

So we are calling on you as our natural leaders in the battle against our off field enemies to show leadership. We need an organised and well coordinated force to launch this assault and your efforts were held to not only be equal to the task but exactly the right weapon to lead us in this new battle.

We will be at your side the whole way in the march towards football’s Holy Grail; the 2007 Premiership. Give us the chance to liberate the WOOF cry.

Yours in football

I will have a crack at getting it to the cheer squad. I am already in discussion with the club in relation to *cough cough* excuse me. Is anyone sitting there? Thanks.

Can I also say this is a glorious piece of prose and brought a tear to my eye. While I am happy to take credit for it, I am not sure if it is the right thing to do, and I already have enough glory, so who should I sign it from? The WOOF Collective? The Lindsay Gilbee Supportive Noise Association? The Sons and Daughters of the West? The Bold and Beautiful?

bornadog
26-03-2007, 01:10 PM
I will have a crack at getting it to the cheer squad. I am already in discussion with the club in relation to *cough cough* excuse me. Is anyone sitting there? Thanks.

Can I also say this is a glorious piece of prose and brought a tear to my eye. While I am happy to take credit for it, I am not sure if it is the right thing to do, and I already have enough glory, so who should I sign it from? The WOOF Collective? The Lindsay Gilbee Supportive Noise Association? The Sons and Daughters of the West? The Bold and Beautiful?

Members of Whitten Oval Online Forum

alwaysadog
26-03-2007, 02:42 PM

In this life take what credit you can. Put your name to it and as bornadog suggests, on behalf of Members etc.

If they've got any brains, they will agree to do it and pass it on to the club media people for reworking into a release to give the towels a second run.

Drunken Bum
26-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Is there any merit in forwarding it to something like psst in the sun aged or whatever the it is in the hun. Worded like it is i reckon would be a fair chance of getting in would probably result in wider circulation and be more well recieved if it was coming from supporters rather than the club in a press release. I find that some people are skeptical when initiatives such as this come from a club, and are more willing to participate if driven by a group of supporters themselves.

alwaysadog
26-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Is there any merit in forwarding it to something like psst in the sun aged or whatever the it is in the hun. Worded like it is i reckon would be a fair chance of getting in would probably result in wider circulation and be more well recieved if it was coming from supporters rather than the club in a press release. I find that some people are skeptical when initiatives such as this come from a club, and are more willing to participate if driven by a group of supporters themselves.

That is a very good idea DB. We could try both the Cheer squad in the format previously posted and the papers as a call to Bulldog Fans, see below.

Who should send it to the papers? It really should be someone who will ring the journalists and tell them it's coming, then call back to make sure they've got it and to answer any questions. While I like the battle of wits with journalists I haven't got the time.

A Bulldog call to arms

Bulldog supporters, join us in liberating the WOOF cry and correcting an age old slur cast on our club. Some years ago Carlton stole the WOOF call that is by ancient rights ours alone. They used it to mark every time a particular player kicked the ball. Our combined determination is that we should liberate the misappropriated property and return it to its rightful owners.

Already we howl the Cooooooon call when our young champion sinks the slipper, but we note that the best kick in football, one Lindsay Gilbee has not yet been given the public accolades he is due from our adoring fans. We are hell bent on remedying this deplorable situation.

Every time Lindsay’s foot makes its aristocratic connection with the air conveyance the WOOF cry should resound throughout the length and breadth of our great land, but especially at the stadium in which we are playing, no matter where we are engaged in combat.

So we are calling on all bulldog supporters in stadiums, pubs, clubs, lounge rooms or wherever they gather to observe the progress of the mighty Dogs, to show leadership in the battle against our off field enemies and participate in this well coordinated first assault of the season, as part of our march towards football’s Holy Grail; the 2007 Premiership.

Yours in football

On behalf of Members of Whitten Oval Online Forum

www.woof.net.au, the best informed analysis of all things Bulldog

It's a good way to go IMO but the media people at the club seem to know their contascts and to get stuff up.

GVGjr
26-03-2007, 09:27 PM
That is a very good idea DB. I suppose we could word it as a call to Bulldog Fans. Who should send it to the papers?

It's a good way to go IMO but the media people at the club seem to know their contascts and to get stuff up.

Yes the communications department could provide the avenue to this. As a suggestion would it be worth sending something through to Mark Stevens or Jon Ralph? Could be a handy little addition to something they write. I don't think Ralph is a Doggies supporters but he writes some good articles for us. Perhaps a supporters group like the East West Club could put it into one of their news letters as a bit of a filler?
Any other suggestions?

The Coon Dog
27-03-2007, 07:24 AM
Maybe the club could put something up on their website, afterall it's in dire need of content. It's March 27 in the week leading up to the season & the latest info on the website is Pedigree Pups on 20 March.

firstdogonthemoon
27-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Comrades,

Relevant info has been emailed to the cheer squad and some people in communications. I havent followed up on any of the media stuff.

I would expect to hear from them by COB tomorrow otherwise will start calling them.

Hooray for us.

Bring home the Woof.

GVGjr
27-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Comrades,

Relevant info has been emailed to the cheer squad and some people in communications. I havent followed up on any of the media stuff.

I would expect to hear from them by COB tomorrow otherwise will start calling them.

Hooray for us.

Bring home the Woof.

Well done. By the way I will be adding 'bringing home the woof' to my signature. :)

alwaysadog
27-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Comrades,

Hooray for us.

Bring home the Woof.

Thanks for following that up FDOTM. In life I've found lots of starters but a very limited supply of finishers. I will add you name to the honour roll of the latter. :D

I think the "bring the WOOF home/bringing home the WOOF" idea is great. Wish I had included it in my correspondence. It finishes the idea off so nicely and gives us a slogan. Great work.

firstdogonthemoon
28-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Comrades

I have received a formal communication from our friends at the cheer squad.

"YES WE WILL GET THIS GOING FROM THIS SUNDAY AND ALL THE WAY TO THE PREMIERSHIP WHAT A GREAT YEAR WE ARE GOING TO HAVE LETS ALL CHEER ON THE DOG IN 2007 GO DOGS"

So its on. Job well done team.

Lets get it happening.

Does anyone want to post it over on "the other side"? I cant see it from work.

alwaysadog
28-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Comrades

I have received a formal communication from our friends at the cheer squad.

"YES WE WILL GET THIS GOING FROM THIS SUNDAY AND ALL THE WAY TO THE PREMIERSHIP WHAT A GREAT YEAR WE ARE GOING TO HAVE LETS ALL CHEER ON THE DOG IN 2007 GO DOGS"

So its on. Job well done team.

Lets get it happening.

Does anyone want to post it over on "the other side"? I cant see it from work.

Congrats FDOTM, that just shows how good an idea it is.

If you've got time you might let the Communications Dept and anyone else you have contacted that there is agreement with the Cheer Squad.

The WOOF is coming home on Sunday and from then on.

LostDoggy
30-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Well this thread and idea really took off. :) Well done to everyone especially FDTOM.I will go to the game and scream my lungs out this weekend every time Gilbs gets the ball.

southerncross
08-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Gilbee gets his kicks being best (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21518840%255E19742,00.html)

Gilbee gets his kicks being best
08 April 2007 Sunday Herald Sun
Jon Ralph
THE man who boasts the most lethal right boot in AFL football sheepishly admits he has no idea how he does it.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,5441865,00.jpg
Lethal boot: Western Bulldogs' star Lindsay Gilbee boasts one of the best kicks in the AFL today.
"I have actually never even been taught to kick a football. It is just something that came naturally to me," says Bulldogs star Lindsay Gilbee of the skill that has made him football's counter-attacking weapon. "I haven't got the biggest physique, so I think I generate a lot of power through my leg. I think it comes down to timing because you don't have to be a big person to kick a ball a long way."
It all sounds so simple.
The evidence amassed by those who have spent careers trying, and failing, to master football's most basic - and critical - art shows it is anything but.
In the space of two seasons, Gilbee has gone from a border-line flanker to one of the AFL's most potent and consistent players.
All-Australian selection last year capped what has been a stunning turnaround for Gilbee, 25, who will next week play his 100th game.
But while Gilbee is far from a one-trick pony, it is his breath-taking ability to pinpoint leading forwards and slice rivals to ribbons that has him given him the reputation as the best kick in the AFL.
Like Shane Warne with a red leather projectile, Gilbee can make the football talk.
Spin control, trajectory, and slicing and drawing the ball to suit conditions are part of his armoury.
"There are ways you can curve it. You can hold the ball differently or jig your foot. Preferably I like to move the ball left to right, but it depends how it comes off the boot," he says.
"The faster the ball spins, the less distance the ball will go, so I try to aim for less spin and try to kick it more on the belly of the ball than underneath it. Over short distances you try to hit your target with more spin, but over the long distances you need less spin.
"I guess I am above average. I really pride myself on my accuracy but I can manage 70 or 75 metres. I kicked one from close to the centre circle today (training at the MCG)."
Like so many kids, Gilbee spent countless winter afternoons recreating AFL heroics, but somehow his kicking penetration and accuracy always shone through.
Not that he can explain how it came about.
"The backyard was just a normal house block in Coldstream, but the oval where I played all my junior football was about 60 metres away from the house," he says.
"I had two older brothers, Gavin and Shaun, and I grew up playing with older guys. I had to grow up quickly in a way. It was good fun having those guys to play with, to learn to kick the football and my Dad was great for me as well."
Gilbee is anything but smug about his talent, just aware he is blessed with a gift that can only be honed by continuous hard work.
"It is something I work on a hell of a lot, and it's just as important to work on your strengths."
In a week where Shannon Grant's shank from point-blank range cost the Kangaroos four points, Gilbee says every player still has distances that trouble or calm them.
A 65m set shot that sailed over the fence against West Coast in 2005 is a highlight, but he is aware a perfectly weighted 20m pass to a teammate in space can be as effective.
'I would prefer to have a shot from 50 metres than 20 metres or 25 metres. A lot of guys poke through the ball, but from 50-60 metres, you really have to kick through the ball and your technique will come out."
The Bulldogs have such a feast of players with superb foot skills that there is often little point opposition sides reverse-tagging Gilbee or partner in crime Jordan McMahon.
Gilbee last year hit his target with 84 per cent effectiveness and for the second year running topped the AFL's score-launches tally.
All of which would have most believing he must bleed goals.
Amazingly, despite on one afternoon against Sydney having 13 individual opponents, Gilbee conceded only 24 goals in 21 games.
"I guess a lot of people think of the attacking side of my game and think I don't man up, but I do," he says.
"Our style of game is to take risks and 'Rocket' (Rodney Eade) really coaches us to take risks. But I still play on a lot of good players and I can play above my height.
"Last year I played on Aaron Davey and Josh Fraser, and Simon Taylor from Hawthorn. So it varies a lot but it's always challenging. They just choose the match-up which best suits the team. It's team, team, team at our football club."
Eade spoke to Lindsay Gilbee from afar in Ireland last year, as he tossed up whether to risk a sore quad in the second International Rules Test.
Given Gilbee later described withdrawing from the Galway clash as akin to missing a Grand Final, his decision encapsulates how determined the Bulldogs are to succeed.
"I hurt my quad in the warm-up of the second game and all I could hear was Rocket's voice," he said.
"I didn't want to come back to the pre-season missing the first three or four weeks with a tear to my quad. The club comes first and that is the main thing. I could hear his voice in the back-ground saying, 'Don't you play, don't you play'."

southerncross
08-04-2007, 08:00 AM
It's a shame that there is not a mention of how the crowd cheers WOOF every time he launches into one of those long kicks.

firstdogonthemoon
08-04-2007, 01:57 PM
It's a shame that there is not a mention of how the crowd cheers WOOF every time he launches into one of those long kicks.

Very funny - you wait - you just wait.

You may be waiting a while but waiting you will be and then youll be sorry.