PDA

View Full Version : Brad Johnson looks at who could succeed him

BulldogBelle
07-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Another Johnno article...

Brad Johnson looks at who could succeed him (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25022582-19775,00.html)
The Herald Sun
Jackie Epstein | February 08, 2009

BULLDOGS captain Brad Johnson has nominated Robert Murphy and Daniel Giansiracusa as the likely candidates to succeed him. Johnson hopes to continue playing for another two seasons, but could hand over the leadership before he retires.

"I'll sit down with 'Rocket' (coach Rodney Eade) . . . and work out what direction he wants to take with that sort of stuff and once the other guys are ready they'll step straight in," he said.

"Probably 'Murph' and 'Gia' are the two that are likely to take it over.

"Matty Boyd has come along in leaps and bounds, too, and it really is hard to leave out a Daniel Cross.

"His work rate and what he does on the ground is just a huge example for everyone and then you've got Dale Morris, who just has a desire to win every contest. So everyone shows something where you think they've got that ability to lead."

Shaun Higgins comes into the leadership group this year in place of Scott West. Johnson said he also showed captaincy potential.

"Higgo's just got that natural leadership ability," he said. "He has that good confidence about him. I've got no problem that he'll probably lead the club in a few years time.

"The role will probably go to a Gia or a Murph if that's what the club wants and then you'll probably see someone like Shaun come through."

Johnson said he had no doubt midfielder Adam Cooney would cope with expectations as the Brownlow medallist.

"He's obviously coming off an injury so he's starting to get himself going at the moment," Johnson said.

"So I wouldn't expect too much too early from Adam. As the season starts to unfold you'll see him start to step up again and he coped with heavy tags last year so can't see why he won't this year."

GVGjr
08-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Does anyone else think that Murphy and Gia might not be the best fit as captains for us?

alwaysadog
08-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Me thinks Rocket might not see either as the next Captain. Don't get me wrong, I admire both of the them enormously but I think he'll go for someone with more onfield agression.

By the way it's a pretty ordinary article. Is Jackie on work experience?

Dancin' Douggy
09-02-2009, 08:48 AM
I reckon Will Minson would be a great leader. It's written all over him.
Intelligence, imposing physique, Aggression, a pretty good package.

Mofra
09-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Me thinks Rocket might not see either as the next Captain. Don't get me wrong, I admire both of the them enormously but I think he'll go for someone with more onfield agression.
Fair call, Murphy for all his football smarts probably doesn't have enough "prick" in him.

Gia does, and he is probably a little underrated by fans & opposition alike (similar stats to O'Keefe, 5% of the respect) and he seems well regarded by the playing group.

Personally I like Crossy, but I'm not sure he has the finishing skills some would like to see from a captain.

LostDoggy
09-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Immediate future i think Cross or Murphy

And after that, I would look to Higgins

Desipura
09-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Fair call, Murphy for all his football smarts probably doesn't have enough "prick" in him.

Gia does, and he is probably a little underrated by fans & opposition alike (similar stats to O'Keefe, 5% of the respect) and he seems well regarded by the playing group.

Personally I like Crossy, but I'm not sure he has the finishing skills some would like to see from a captain.
Do not agree with the above at all! I do not think either is noted for their agression (Im not saying that they are soft either).

Mofra
10-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Do not agree with the above at all! I do not think either is noted for their agression (Im not saying that they are soft either).
Is that from the impression he gave in the first couple of season, or the last two?

There is a huge chasm between the two, as footballers tend to have any impression of their first season follow them for the rest of their career. Gibbs will be a perfect example.