PDA

View Full Version : Port name Cassisi captain

Bulldog Revolution
09-02-2009, 03:53 PM
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/cassisi-named-port-adelaide-captain/2009/02/09/1234027912656.html

Interesting appointment

What do people think?

ledge
09-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Would never have picked it.
Wonder if its ruffled a few feathers with older players.
Who knows inside a club who is respected and who isnt, obviously they think a lot of him, not being a Port supporter i just thought he was an honest player.
Good luck to him.

LostDoggy
09-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Had been mooted for a while (at least over the last year) that Cassisi was next in line, and club had been putting it out there for the last few months as a possibility, so I think there's been a clear-ish succession plan. The leadership group would have been in on the decision making process.

Go_Dogs
09-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Been a fantastic player for them for the past few years, but that doesn't really get noticed much here - let alone in Victoria or out west. I think he's been there best performed mid over the past few years - not as flashy as Shaun Burgoyne, or as 'hard working' as Kane Cornes, Cassisi is hard, good skills, makes the right decisions...just a good player.

I think he's a fantastic appointment.

Bulldog Revolution
09-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Is he as good a player as Matt Boyd?

Mantis
09-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Is he as good a player as Matt Boyd?

I would say that he is better.

Rocco Jones
09-02-2009, 06:25 PM

I agree. He fills more of a role/purpose/need for Port than Boyd does for us. How much that is due to the players and how much is due to the respective coaches is debatable though.

Go_Dogs
09-02-2009, 07:56 PM

Definitely, with no disrespect to Boydy. Dom is no longer a negative only player - he wins his own ball and uses it well. Boydy has become an accumulator too, but probably isn't as good with his execution and decision making as Cassisi.

Cassisi still often takes the oppositions best midfielder - but it'll be interesting to see what happens with his role this year, especially with Carr coming back.

Mofra
09-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Cassisi still often takes the oppositions best midfielder - but it'll be interesting to see what happens with his role this year, especially with Carr coming back.
Didn't make a difference to the Swans and Kirk, who from outside the club seems like a success as Captain.

Ling as a likely Geelong captain (after solid at best defender Harley), Mitchell & Vandenberg as Hawks captains - the day of flashy premiership captains are over. Crossy anyone?

Remi Moses
09-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Surprise choice,I assumed One of the cornes brothers [Kane] would get the gig.Certainly a better choice of captain than their Footy Ops manager was as coach:(:(

LostDoggy
13-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Definitely be interesting to see if any problems arise because of this selection. Im happy for him not sure if he can do the job well yet but we will see. Would have put money on one of the cornes brothers.

Bulldog Revolution
13-02-2009, 02:29 PM
They certainly hinted that Cassisi was the front runner a few weeks a go

He averaged almost 23 possessions in 2008, and 6.3 tackles a game which was good for
5th in the league (16 tackles ahead of Cross in 7th spot) so he clearly is prepared to do that hard stuff

I've always thought he was handy just wondered how much he influences there results, but maybe he is just one of those unsung players who plays for an opposition team so you dont fully appreciate how good he is