PDA

View Full Version : Any room for Monty in round 1?

GVGjr
19-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Injuries aside does Monty still hold a spot in our best 22.
Just white boarded the likely line-up against the Cats and I have him on a 7 man bench. It might come down to him and Power.
Who do you think would have their nose in front out of those two?

firstdogonthemoon
19-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Injuries aside does Monty still hold a spot in our best 22.
Just white boarded the likely line-up against the Cats and I have him on a 7 man bench. It might come down to him and Power.
Who do you think would have their nose in front out of those two?

I really want a whiteboard. I cant have one at home, and I cant really use the one at work for stuff like that.

I would have monty in over sam, just because of his experience and his hardness. It is not critical to get game time into power and we dont have much of monty left. Let him prove himself in the first half of the season.

bornadog
19-03-2007, 10:46 PM
As long as he is fit, I prefer Monty in the team. Power is still not in our best 22 at this stage.

alwaysadog
19-03-2007, 10:48 PM
If we think we are going to be undersized in defence then he makes real sense because although at best mid size he is both a very clever experienced player and a tough one. A lot of his work is unobtrusive till you need someone to stand up.

He's got a very hard body. At the end of last season he was at TopDogs and not sure if he'd be offered one more season. I went over to wish him well and he was signing a card for an old lady and bending over the table. I put my hand on his shoulder and said ' I reckon you are safe.' He looked up, smiled and said 'Thanks, I hope so.' His shoulder felt like rock.

Dry Rot
19-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Various folk on various forums have questioned the inclusion of Monty and Robbins for Round 1, and some have even questioned Eagleton and Gia.

IMO all, if fit, will play Round 1.

But by Round 22 perhaps one of Robbins or Monty could be in trouble.

Go_Dogs
20-03-2007, 09:50 AM
I think Monty gets the nod - he's an experienced veteran who is very versatile. He can play back or forward, and even charge in off a wing or be thrown into the centre too. His ability to hold contested marks, and his attack on the ball and player is crucial. He'd be in my best 22 I think.

Sockeye Salmon
21-03-2007, 09:49 AM
I think Monty is a fair way down the pecking order.

southerncross
21-03-2007, 09:51 AM
I think Monty is a fair way down the pecking order.
You wouldn't have him in the best 22?

It might come down to him and a couple of others. I guess Higgins would be ahead of him.

Sockeye Salmon
21-03-2007, 10:25 AM
You wouldn't have him in the best 22?

It might come down to him and a couple of others. I guess Higgins would be ahead of him.

In my side for R1 I had him missing out along with Power (who I wanted to put in). Harris, Hahn and Street were unavailable as well.

We will have plenty of games where more than 3-4 players are missing at once so Monty will get his chance at some stage.

southerncross
21-03-2007, 10:29 AM
In my side for R1 I had him missing out along with Power (who I wanted to put in). Harris, Hahn and Street were unavailable as well.

We will have plenty of games where more than 3-4 players are missing at once so Monty will get his chance at some stage.

Any suprises in that list of 22? I'm guessing that Street will be available but understand that not everyone rates him good enough. I'm leaning towards having him the 1st 22 however, because I think we need Darcy to play forward and Grant in the backline until Harris returns.

Raw Toast
21-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Good question.

I agree that Power and Monty are battling for a spot between themselves, and also have Higgins and Robbins battling for a spot, with a question mark also over Ray. I'd say three of these five will make it into the 22 v Geelong.

I reckon Power will get the nod over Monty. Power's been given some fairly big pre-season match-ups and I think is being groomed as someone who can be rotated forward and back, and used to free up other defenders in particular (eg Morris, Hargrave, Gilbee and McMahon). I think Monty had this role, but is now struggling for pace, and is mainly competing for a place in the forward line. I agree with Sockeye that he'll get his chance soon enough.

It's an interesting choice for Eade and the rest of the match committee. IIFC Eade had the reputation in Sydney of favouring experience a bit too much over youth, so we'll see this year how he deals this year with a list that has both a fair few emerging players, and quite a few aging bodies as well.

Sockeye Salmon
21-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Any suprises in that list of 22? I'm guessing that Street will be available but understand that not everyone rates him good enough. I'm leaning towards having him the 1st 22 however, because I think we need Darcy to play forward and Grant in the backline until Harris returns.

Not really.

Backmen: Grant, Wight, Hargrave, Morris, Gilbee, McMahon
Forwards: Darcy, McDougall, Murphy, Johnson, Robbins, Giansiracusa
Midfielders: Minson, West, Cross, Cooney, Akermanis, Eagleton, Griffen, Boyd, Higgins, Ray

My last choice was between Ray and Power and I'm still not certain about it.

Big problems if Grant doesn't come up.

southerncross
21-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Not really.

Midfielders: Minson, West, Cross, Cooney, Akermanis, Eagleton, Griffen, Boyd, Higgins, Ray

One genuine ruckman might also be a stretch although I suspect that Eade has Darcy pegged to spend a fair bit of time there.

bornadog
21-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Not really.

You gotta go with Ray, I believe in the finals last year against Collingwood, Ray came of age. He was sensational picking up nearly 30 possessions and kicking several goals. Although he didn't play well in the final against West Coast, either did any one else.