PDA

View Full Version : The Tigers Private Deal?

GVGjr
12-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Does anyone else think that the deal between Clinton Casey and 3 high profile Tigers players sounds a lot like salary cap evasion?

Sockeye Salmon
12-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Of course it is.

It's also almost impossible to police.

Free agency will come in very soon with only the salary cap to protect the less financial clubs. We'll be ****ed.

mighty_west
12-02-2009, 10:33 PM
My word it does, but i'm sure most clubs are "creative" with deals amongst their high profile players & young guns to keep them aboard, Judd's Visy deal also smells like rotten fish, but what can the AFL do?

aker39
13-02-2009, 09:48 AM
The Judd deal is the biggest joke.

An ambassador for Visy. What a crock of shit

Bulldog Revolution
13-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Does anyone else think that the deal between Clinton Casey and 3 high profile Tigers players sounds a lot like salary cap evasion?

As the old saying goes: Lie down with dogs, get up with fleas

I wont be feeling greatly sympathetic to anyone involved

Cyberdoggie
13-02-2009, 11:29 AM
The Judd deal is the biggest joke.

An ambassador for Visy. What a crock of shit

Yes cardboard boxes need an ambassador, they get such a bad rep!

"Don't do drugs kids!, recycle!"

LostDoggy
13-02-2009, 02:23 PM
I am sure it happens at all clubs.....most likely even our own!!(IMO) I don't like it, but it's the nature of the beast nowadays!! There are well connected buisnessmen and women at all clubs and if we are honest with ourselves we know that it is going on. The problem with it is one day someone will be caught and the club involved will be hung out to dry by the AFL.

alwaysadog
13-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Three points
1. Brownie et al are probably only getting what they deserve for being greedy. Maybe other high profile players will take note before they rush into such deals.

2. It will be very interesting to watch what goes on here vis-Ã*-vis the AFL. If they don't act strongly they are saying to the rich clubs, this isn't a loop hole it's a chasm, go for it. Apart from the hypocrisy they will appear guilty of with past sanctions for salary cap breeches, they will lose what control they have over the movement of players.

3. This deal and the Blue wankers ambarrasser deal have all the hallmarks of the Greg Williams second contract which cost him almost half a season. Mind you the AFL has incredible selective memory.

westdog54
13-02-2009, 06:30 PM

No.

It sounds exactly like salary cap evasion.

azabob
13-02-2009, 07:12 PM
I am sure it happens at all clubs.....most likely even our own!!(IMO) I don't like it, but it's the nature of the beast nowadays!! There are well connected buisnessmen and women at all clubs and if we are honest with ourselves we know that it is going on. The problem with it is one day someone will be caught and the club involved will be hung out to dry by the AFL.

Totally agree, all clubs would do it in some form or another.

GetDimmaBack
14-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Anyone else think it a bit ironic that one of Browny's beefs with the Dogs was the pay cut he copped (unhappily) when the club was in financial trouble?
Part of the reason he left was that there were "...better commercial opportunities elsewhere...". I seem to remember part of the Richmond play for Browny was the helicopter ride to check out some of Casey's real estate deals. Nathan was going to get rich quick.

Seems to me he's back where he started!

alwaysadog
14-02-2009, 01:37 AM
Totally agree, all clubs would do it in some form or another.

Not quite so blatantly nor on such a large scale.

Remi Moses
14-02-2009, 02:29 AM
Gee I thought Brown left to play in front of big crowds in September:eek::eek:
Any news on his overpriced t-shirt business?

Topdog
15-02-2009, 12:04 PM
The thing I don't get is that we knew about this when Brown left the Bulldogs. Everyone at the time was saying there was property involved in his deal to sign for Richmond.

The Coon Dog
15-02-2009, 12:09 PM
The thing I don't get is that we knew about this when Brown left the Bulldogs. Everyone at the time was saying there was property involved in his deal to sign for Richmond.
Knowing it & proving it are 2 different things 'buddy'. ;)

ledge
15-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Doesnt this mean the proof is there if they are going to court about not getting it?
Interesting arguement, the players go to court claiming what they are owed or were promised and Casey says how could i possibly do that its illegal according to the AFL rules!

ledge
15-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Also if Casey never gave it to them well he has done nothing wrong, if its not in writing somewhere its not going anywhere.

alwaysadog
15-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Also if Casey never gave it to them well he has done nothing wrong, if its not in writing somewhere its not going anywhere.

Not so a verbal contract is legally enforceable.

There seems to be some blurring of what we once believed and what is now being presented to us.

If I've got it right we were told that one N Brown was going to benefit from the advice of a very successful property developer if he went to the tigres. Now there is nothing in the rules to prevent him doing what he likes with his money legally earned within the salary cap.

What now seems to be alleged is that the carrot to join was not just advice but guaranteed amounts of dough, and he and two colleagues feel sufficiently upset to be seeking legal redress. This would not appear to be the usual fudging of salary cap rules that goes on but a blatant disregard for them.

Mind you the AFL has got itself in an awful mess; it has cracked down so hard on the obvious breeches of the salary cap that clubs have had whole seasons, even several seasons, disrupted by it, and now they have two of the bigger clubs struggling to make progress and one has a player being employed as a member of the Diplomatic corps and another has players and ex players suing over promised monies not included in the salary cap.

All I know is the AFL will find a convenient way out.

What it should have done long ago is to call for a sworn copies of the Ambassador's contract, duty statement and actual hours spent earning it, regularly updated. And they should have looked into the the "property advice" system and its relationship to the salary cap.

Topdog
15-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Knowing it & proving it are 2 different things 'buddy'. ;)

You know what? I left about 10 words out of what I wanted to say. I actually was trying to say that I don't get why so many people (not here) are so surprised that this deal is in place.

Still what you say is a very frank but true point.

Rocket Science
18-02-2009, 09:13 AM
AFL probes Tigers' property dealings (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25070688-19742,00.html)

You'd love to see the league go for the jugular, but one suspects they won't.

alwaysadog
18-02-2009, 10:18 PM
You know what? I left about 10 words out of what I wanted to say. I actually was trying to say that I don't get why so many people (not here) are so surprised that this deal is in place.

Just didn't think it would be so blatant and didn't expect them to fall out so publicly, but it's par for the course with the eat your own tigres.

There are all sorts of ways of doing this sort of thing without promising amounts, as seems to have occurred. Gentlemen's agreements only apply to gentlemen,

LostDoggy
20-02-2009, 11:24 AM
There are all sorts of ways of doing this sort of thing without promising amounts, as seems to have occurred.

Nathan Brown from my mail back then was promised the world so much so that all the little perks from the Tiges were too good to refuse.

craigsahibee
20-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Gee I thought Brown left to play in front of big crowds in September:eek::eek:
Any news on his overpriced t-shirt business?

Sold his share to Craig Ellis.

Judas has another clothing line called Blackbird I believe. Still overpriced crap.

BulldogBelle
20-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Sold his share to Craig Ellis.

Judas has another clothing line called Blackbird I believe. Still overpriced crap.

Yep it is called Blackbyrd and it is in Chapel Street, Sth Yarra.

Happy Days
20-02-2009, 11:10 PM

Provider of some of the most heinous clothing known to man (i.e: button up v-necks)

alwaysadog
21-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Blackbird now that's interesting, it was the name given to those who went to Africa and captured slaves and transported them to the Americas. The trade was known as Blackbirding.

Blackbird Brown has a ring to it.

Remi Moses
21-02-2009, 01:20 AM

Typical. Chapel st still a pompous twat:pI'd heard Craig and Judas had a falling out?