PDA

View Full Version : Gilbee rejects NFL punt

LostDoggy
15-02-2009, 05:13 AM
Lindsay Gilbee happy to reject NFL punt

The Herald-Sun

Jackie Epstein | February 15, 2009 12:00am

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25054179-19775,00.html

LINDSAY Gilbee has revealed how he turned his back on the chance to become an NFL punter to pursue his AFL premiership dream. Twelve months ago, the Bulldogs defender had offers to trial in the US, but believed it was too great a risk to quit football.

Even watching former Geelong captain Ben Graham punting for Arizona in the Superbowl two weeks ago was not enough to make him regret his decision.

"I could have gone over and got a trial, I know that, but I wanted to stay here and play with my mates and achieve some things that I think we can achieve in the next few years," Gilbee said.

"That was my main aim and I thought it was a lot to give up to go to a place that wasn't guaranteed.

"I look at Ben and think he's probably achieved more than he ever dreamed of. But for a guy who is that good a kick to get cut three times, it makes you think how good you probably have to be."

Gilbee is renowned for his long and accurate kicking and has marshalled the club's kick-outs for years.

At the time of the offer, he was also negotiating a new Bulldogs contract.

"You do think, 'Gee, what if?' But, to be honest, you couldn't find a happier person in where I am now . . . and what I'm hoping to achieve as a team with this footy club," Gilbee said.

"I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have a go. One day I would love to have a crack at it, but certainly now's not the time.

"It'll take a lot to pull me away from my love of this game and the people at this football club.

"In the immediate future, I don't even think about it. I love watching the (American) game.

"Tom Williams is the biggest fan going around so, after training, we watched the last quarter of the Superbowl and it was great."

Gilbee has never spoken to Graham, but admires his courage in pursuing an NFL career. Gilbee hasn't kicked an NFL ball for almost a year. His focus is on playing football for at least another three years.

As for this year, Gilbee rates this pre-season one of his best ever.

"I'd like to play as long as I can," Gilbee, 27, said. "I'm contracted until the end of next year and I'll be 28 when I'm out of contract.

"I'd love to play for another three years after that, at a minimum. I think my body's very good and has been in good shape for a long time.

"This is probably the best pre-season I've had in quite some time - at least since the 2004-2005 season.

"Touch wood, I haven't missed a session and it's also been the toughest pre-season I've done as an individual and with a team.

"Bill Davoren, our head of fitness, has been absolutely fantastic. He's been innovative; he brought ideas to training that have never been used before (in AFL).

"We've always been a quick running side, but we just need to maintain our fitness in games for longer. Having a triathlon background and having trained (triple world champion triathlete) Emma Snowsill to her gold medal, Bill's brought a lot to the club and certainly a hard edge."

Dogs 24/7
15-02-2009, 08:28 AM
I think it's a good move for Gilbee to bypass being a punter. As much as the kicker is not supposed to be touched Sav Rocca got knocked rotten in one of his first games and he is substantially bigger than Gilbee.

LostDoggy
15-02-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm hoping he honestly believes we will win a premiership within the next 3 or so years. If he does, it somehow gives me confidence, even if he is just talking crap.

LostDoggy
15-02-2009, 10:36 AM
he's not really the right kind of kick.
He needs to kick off a step and the kicks are better if they are higher and slower.

BulldogBelle
15-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Good call by Gilbee...and to think we nearly lost him to Syd before Eade arrived on our shores. Shows he loves the club and wants to achieve the ultimate with his team mates.

LostDoggy
15-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Could you imagine the discussions we'd be having now if he left to Sydney and played the way he has.

Happy Days
15-02-2009, 03:31 PM
he's not really the right kind of kick.
He needs to kick off a step and the kicks are better if they are higher and slower.

Agreed..his kicking style is a lot lower trajectory than others, which is what enables his incredible distance and accuracy. He would not at all be suited to punting.