PDA

View Full Version : Elite Kicks

LostDoggy
17-02-2009, 11:15 AM
We always bang on about a lack of talls (and rightly so) but one thing that concerns me when looking at our list is the number of players with concerns regarding their foot skills. Elite foot skills seems to be a key component of the Geelong and Hawthorn success stories.

Who do you rate on our current list as an elite kick? Gilbee is obvious.... Akermanis one more year...

soupman
17-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Elite:
Robert Murphy, Lindsay Gilbee, Jason Akermanis,

Players who aren't elite, but have very good foot skills:
Andrejs Everitt, Callan Ward, Ryan Griffen, Adam Cooney, Ryan Hargrave, Brian Lake

LostDoggy
17-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Stack us up against Hawthorn and we fall well short then. I agree re Ward, Cooney and Griffen however I think their passing can be a little sloppy at times, we are also well short on reliable kickers of pressure goals. Also underlines why we need to hang onto Acker as long as we can.

Bulldog Revolution
17-02-2009, 12:06 PM
I would have thought Hargrave was elite

and Giansiracusa in terms of his vision and being able to set things up and hit people

Elite: Gilbee, Akermanis, Hargrave, Murphy, Giansiracusa

Not far off becoming elite: Griffen, Cooney, Higgins

Could become elite: Everitt, Ward, OKeefe

LostDoggy
17-02-2009, 12:16 PM
OK then so who would we say are sub-par?

bornadog
17-02-2009, 01:19 PM
OK then so who would we say are sub-par?

Tim Callan, Addison, Boyd, Cross,

I think Eagleton is still in the elite class, although not as good as he was.

Mitch Hahn can kick a mile but tends to hook,

Hill and Harbrow potential to be elite.

Lake when he kicks through to get distance is pretty good, but when he chips, can go anywhere.

Mantis
17-02-2009, 03:03 PM

Your definition of 'elite' compared to mine must be poles apart.

LostDoggy
17-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Eagleton's passing has always been suspect IMO his long range goal kicking was elite but appears to have dropped away

LostDoggy
17-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Guess my concern comes primarily from what I've observed from our younger recruits, I am happy with the grunt coming through but we look a little devoid of class (higgins and ward being the exceptions). We seem to have a large number of sub-par kickers on the list, it dosn't fit well with possession style football.

Bulldog Revolution
17-02-2009, 03:56 PM

You'd be nothing without your whipping boy (eagle) Mantis

That said I re-watched the tape of Friday and Eagle did not kick or play well

Bulldog Revolution
17-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Tim Callan, Addison, Boyd, Cross,

Mitch Hahn can kick a mile but tends to hook,

Hill and Harbrow potential to be elite.

Lake when he kicks through to get distance is pretty good, but when he chips, can go anywhere.

I hope that you are right about Hill and Harbrow bornadog

I wouldn't have thought Boyd was sub-par. Addison and Callan were very good on Friday and I'm hopeful they can move off the list.

I would add Minson and Morris in that list.

bornadog
17-02-2009, 06:23 PM

We are talking kicking.

He had one of the best kicking actions from long range that I have ever seen. He has dropped off a bit over the past few years.

bornadog
17-02-2009, 06:24 PM
I hope that you are right about Hill and Harbrow bornadog

I wouldn't have thought Boyd was sub-par. Addison and Callan were very good on Friday and I'm hopeful they can move off the list.

I would add Minson and Morris in that list.

Whick list would you put Minson and Morris? I think Minson is a pretty good kick for a big man.

Mantis
17-02-2009, 06:34 PM
We are talking kicking.

He had one of the best kicking actions from long range that I have ever seen. He has dropped off a bit over the past few years.

I'm talking kicking too.

For me an elite kick is someone who is able to kick extremely well on their dominant side and reasonably well on their non-preferred.

Eagleton was a very good kick some time back, but isn't any more. His kicking in his last 2 games for our club (PF & 1st rd NAB) has been very poor to say the least.

Go_Dogs
17-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Guess my concern comes primarily from what I've observed from our younger recruits, I am happy with the grunt coming through but we look a little devoid of class (higgins and ward being the exceptions). We seem to have a large number of sub-par kickers on the list, it dosn't fit well with possession style football.

O'Keefe is apparently a very good user of the ball. Wood didn't look too bad for mine on Friday either. I think Addison and Callan can also both make the grade, perhaps not elite, but pretty consistent.

I don't think we're as far away as you think.

GVGjr
17-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Elite Kickers
Gilbee and Akermanis

Very good kicks
Everitt, Johnson, Murphy, Ward, Cooney, Higgins and Hargrave

Good kicks
Eagleton, Griffen, Giansiracusa and O'Keefe

Everitt and Ward might be regarded as Elite kickers by the end of the season. I didn't rate Murphy as elite because he still coughs the ball up a fraction too much.

ledge
17-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Lake is a great kick if you put 2 goal posts in front of him and not behind him.

Scorlibo
17-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Elite Kicks: Gilbee, Murphy, Akermanis, Ward

Good Kicks: Hargrave, Higgins, Cooney, Griffen, Grant, Johnson, Welsh, Giansiracusa, Lake

Poor Kicks: Cross, Hahn, Hudson

Dry Rot
17-02-2009, 08:46 PM
IMO there's another dimension to "an elite kick" beyond kicking per se - ie decision making, vision, picking up the right player in the right position.

I'd argue that Aker stands out beyond the rest on this basis.

IMO the rest of our team too often kick poorly ie not the kick per se but kicking to a player with several opponents on them and other silly options.

Mantis
17-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Elite Kickers
Gilbee and Akermanis

Very good kicks

Good kicks

Everitt and Ward might be regarded as Elite kickers by the end of the season. I didn't rate Murphy as elite because he still coughs the ball up a fraction too much.

I think that's a pretty good list.

I would probably demote Johnno to the good kick category. Same too for Ward & Higgins, but I would hope that come the end of this season that these 2 along with Griffen would be seen as very good kicks.

Sockeye Salmon
17-02-2009, 10:54 PM
IMO there's another dimension to "an elite kick" beyond kicking per se - ie decision making, vision, picking up the right player in the right position.

I'd argue that Aker stands out beyond the rest on this basis.

IMO the rest of our team too often kick poorly ie not the kick per se but kicking to a player with several opponents on them and other silly options.

Lindsay Gilbee says 'Hi'.

Gilbee is so far ahead of everyone else in our side - even Akermanis - that it's not funny. Decision making, execution, field kicking, goal kicking, doesn't matter.

Griffen deserves more love in this thread than he's getting.

GVGjr
17-02-2009, 10:57 PM

The only knock I have on Griffen's kicking is that he does spray them on the run. Granted when he is running he is more flat out than just about everybody else but I wouldn't say spotting up a team mate and consistently nailing the pass is a strength of his.

Bulldog Revolution
18-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Whick list would you put Minson and Morris? I think Minson is a pretty good kick for a big man.

I'd put them on the below par list

Unfortunately I think Minno is one of the worst kicks on our list

He improved greatly in front of goal last year but his field kicking is still poor

Watching him Friday and seeing Hille highlighted the gap

Ozza
18-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Although Morris isn't a great kick - I think his kicking has mproved enormously and you very rarely see him miss a target these days. He's good for a very solid short pass.

LostDoggy
25-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Elite Kickers
Gilbee and Akermanis

Very good kicks

Good kicks

Gia would probably make the 'very good kicks' for mine, nearly elite. Has problems with concentration and is far too casual with his short passing at times but has perfect technique and is about the best snap goal on the run in the team (apart from Aker). Also great improvisational ability with his goal-kicking.

GVGjr
25-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Gia would probably make the 'very good kicks' for mine, nearly elite. Has problems with concentration and is far too casual with his short passing at times but has perfect technique and is about the best snap goal on the run in the team (apart from Aker). Also great improvisational ability with his goal-kicking.

He misses the easy ones but can nail the harder ones which supports you said about his consistency with his kicking. It's the reason why I dropped him down to a good kick rating.

bulldogsman
26-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Elite Kickers
Gilbee and Akermanis

Very good kicks

Good kicks

I'm surprised no one has included Welsh in the good kicks, generally is a very good kick. Maybe just didn't have a great year last year. I would almost include Lake in there as well.

Jones is meant to be a very good kick as well, hopefully we see him in there in the next couple of years

always right
26-02-2009, 01:36 PM
I would concede that we don't have many who can kick from long range with great confidence but as a group I think our footskills are pretty good...particularly when you are looking at their ability to hit targets. For a team that doesn't have key forwards to speak of, we've relied on hitting leading targets. To finish 3rd last year suggests this part of our game is not a problem.

Some of our players have great footskills from long and short range (Gilbee and Shaggy)
Some are good from long range but not great when it comes to the short stuff (Hahn and Eagleton)
Some are great with their passing but not from long range (Minson would fall into this category....generally hits targets despite an ungainly style. Crossy also)
Some are head in hands stuff (Hudson and Wight):eek:

Dogs 24/7
26-02-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm surprised no one has included Welsh in the good kicks, generally is a very good kick. Maybe just didn't have a great year last year. I would almost include Lake in there as well.

Jones is meant to be a very good kick as well, hopefully we see him in there in the next couple of years

Welsh doesn't get enough of it to be rated too highly and Lake is serviceable pushing towards good but certainly not good.

always right
26-02-2009, 10:55 PM
I'd put them on the below par list

Unfortunately I think Minno is one of the worst kicks on our list

He improved greatly in front of goal last year but his field kicking is still poor

Watching him Friday and seeing Hille highlighted the gap

Minson is not the most reliable kick in front of goal and Morris is not the longest kick. Both have awkward styles but both rarely miss their target when passing. Minson surprises in this respect.

bulldogsman
27-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Welsh doesn't get enough of it to be rated too highly and Lake is serviceable pushing towards good but certainly not good.

I thought he was quite good when at Adelaide and at North Melbourne, maybe you just haven't seen enough of him. And i agree, Lake isn't in the good category which is why i said almost.

bornadog
04-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Lindsay Gilbee says 'Hi'.

Gilbee is so far ahead of everyone else in our side - even Akermanis - that it's not funny. Decision making, execution, field kicking, goal kicking, doesn't matter.

Aker has shown this year that he is probably one of the greatest kicks to ever put on the boots. His shots at goal from both feet are amazing. One of his best kicks this season was the left foot goal off one step, from outside 50 against North.

Gilbee is still elite but has been a bit wayward this season.

Big_Willba
04-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Gilbee>>>>>>>>Aker>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the rest.

bornadog
04-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Gilbee>>>>>>>>Aker>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the rest.

Not on the left foot

Desipura
05-08-2009, 09:34 AM
Elite Kickers
Gilbee and Akermanis

Very good kicks

Good kicks

I have to disagree with your very good kicks, Everitt & Ward are not in that category yet.
They can both roost however I would not say they are the most accurate. Ward's kicks have been known to float as opposed to spinning like a drop punt should. That is only a small criticism as he is generally a good kick but not always reliable.
If it was between Ward & Gia kicking a set shot for goal, I would prefer Gia at the stage. Ward could become a very good kick or even elite in the future.
Johnson is also only a good kick IMHO. Gia is in the very good kick category.
Lake is somewhere in between good & very good, he has improved a fair bit this year. I can recall a number of his kicks pinpoint a teammate just inside the boundary. I think it would be unfair to judge him based on his kicking for goal as he does not have many shots at goal.

1eyedog
05-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Gilbee is the only elite we have. Him and Hodge are the two best kicks in the comp in my opinion.

Akermanis is close behind but there is daylight between Aker and third.

Desipura
05-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Gilbee is the only elite we have. Him and Hodge are the two best kicks in the comp in my opinion.

Akermanis is close behind but there is daylight between Aker and third.
As I think Bornadog commented, Aker is a better kick on the left than Gilbee