PDA

View Full Version : Jarrad Boumann - 2009 Outlook

GVGjr
17-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Jarrad Boumann is a typical Scott Clayton 'project player. He is tall, quick for his size, not a bad kick, possess a reasonable grab and like many Bulldog project players before him he certainly needs to add a bit of size to his frame. He has all the physical attributes though to become a regular senior player in the future.

Boumann debut season, which was always going to be a development year for him, was mainly confined to the Williamstown 2nds side although he did get a couple of senior games. He also battled injuries but saw the season through which is a good sign of his ability to carry an injury.
His season was somewhat of a mixed bag though, some very nice quarters where he often appeared to have the ball on a string would be followed up by a somewhat lax quarter when his effort and concentration almost deserted him. Obviously given his age and inexperience these are things that the club and player can work on.

He seems better suited to playing as a forward but in this era of versatility he will need to become a more rounded player and be capable of playing as a defender.

Over the pre-season he has been recovering from surgery and the times I have seen him he has pretty much been restricted to his running.

For 2009 I don't see a lot of difference for him as it will once again be one of development. He should primarily play in the seniors for Williamstown although he would also need to make sure that his work rate and concentration improve on last year and I can see him being used as a leading CHF.

He is certainly another one to watch this year.

Mantis
17-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Come the end of the 09 season what would be a good result (games breakdown) for Jarrad?

Realistically he probably won't play for the Bulldogs this year, but would a 65:35 (Willi senior's: reserves) be a good result?

Bulldog Revolution
18-02-2009, 09:48 AM
Come the end of the 09 season what would be a good result (games breakdown) for Jarrad?

Realistically he probably won't play for the Bulldogs this year, but would a 65:35 (Willi senior's: reserves) be a good result?

I think it depends, if he starts in the twos and plays well and then finishes the year strong, showing increased committment to the defensive/team stuff then yes

But if he is given senior opportunities only to find out he still wont do the defensive stuff or concentrate for long enough and has to be demoted then no

But I guess given his pre-season its probably the right break down of VFL senior to reserve games. It sure would be nice for him to establish himself at VFL senior level this year.

Go_Dogs
18-02-2009, 06:56 PM
I guess one thing that Boumann will have to be weary of is the amount of game time he'll be able to get in the senior Wiliamstown side.

If Grant as expected plays the majority of the year there, with Skipper, Wight, Tiller, Cordy and Roughead all also likely to be played (at least at some stage) in a forward role in that side too, there might not be a whole heap of opportunities.

I'm content to let him have another year developing, as long as he shows continuous improvements in those areas that he needs to work on.

comrade
18-02-2009, 08:00 PM
I know it seems harsh, but I'd rather watch Boumann develop in the seniors than have Wight clog a spot for a whole season and most likely be delisted (or traded if he's lucky) at the end of it.

Mofra
18-02-2009, 08:59 PM
As long as his attitude improves, the level of football he plays isn't too much of an issue. I'd hate to see another wasted talent that could've made it if he really applied himself.

alwaysadog
18-02-2009, 10:33 PM
As long as his attitude improves, the level of football he plays isn't too much of an issue. I'd hate to see another wasted talent that could've made it if he really applied himself.

Is attitude change short hand for maturing his grey matter?

Much of last season seemed to go in a blur caused by an inability to handle the demands made of him, and the situations he found himself in. I suspect at times it overwhelmed.

That said he was quite handsomely reimbursed, and most posters who have one would give their left xvz to be in his place.

Nevertheless he seems to me to be one of the furthest behind socially and personally that we have had in a very long while. I hope we have got someone working on these issues with him because I supect that unless these matters are overcome his performance won't improve dramatically and he will drift into that vast club of underperformers.

GVGjr
19-02-2009, 08:45 PM

I think that would be a great result. A good taste of senior experience and if his form slips a couple of weeks in the reserves.

I wonder if he will be tried as a defender sometime during the season?

GVGjr
19-02-2009, 08:52 PM
I guess one thing that Boumann will have to be weary of is the amount of game time he'll be able to get in the senior Wiliamstown side.

If Grant as expected plays the majority of the year there, with Skipper, Wight, Tiller, Cordy and Roughead all also likely to be played (at least at some stage) in a forward role in that side too, there might not be a whole heap of opportunities.

I'm content to let him have another year developing, as long as he shows continuous improvements in those areas that he needs to work on.

I think you will see Cordy playing a lot in the reserves and Tiller as a defender so it sort of cancels out those two plus I think Skipper will mainly be in the ruck. Grant and Boumann should be two of a 3 or 4 man tall forward line and both have the pace to play on flanks.

Boumann's mobility will provide him with some chances to still play in a few different positions even if we do have a bit of a logjam up forward.

Sockeye Salmon
19-02-2009, 09:04 PM
I think that would be a great result. A good taste of senior experience and if his form slips a couple of weeks in the reserves.

I wonder if he will be tried as a defender sometime during the season?

Do you think they would bother after his earlier disaster in the backline last year?

GVGjr
19-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Do you think they would bother after his earlier disaster in the backline last year?

I wouldn't write him off because it will be up to the coaches to let him know that he needs to be able to play where they need him. If the coaches allow any young player to dictate where they will perform or won't then we are really in trouble.

He's young and has a lot to learn and we have the right teachers to help him on his way.

alwaysadog
21-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Played half a practice match at full back on Ayce. Really funny; two of the skinniest would be league footballers imaginable. Ayce looked so thin I thought the wind would bend him.

Jarrad needs to learn about close checking. His natural instinct is to make space, which is amusing when you're playing FB. He even tried it when he was guarding the goal square as the last one back for at a stoppage in the pocket, 'till one of the senior players did a bit of redirecting. He's not comfortable playing close.

Mind you he has v good closing speed, caught someone wihth a tackle when they were moving and made it look like they were standing still, also did some nice things linking up the play and held his ground under pressure to mark a couple of times.

Can't really judge where he's at from one outing - looks to be making progress, but a long way to go and think Willie firsts will be his limit this season.

LostDoggy
21-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Played half a practice match at full back on Ayce. Really funny; two of the skinniest would be league footballers imaginable. Ayce looked so thin I thought the wind would bend him.

Jarrad needs to learn about close checking. His natural instinct is to make space, which is amusing when you're playing FB. He even tried it when he was guarding the goal square as the last one back for at a stoppage in the pocket, 'till one of the senior players did a bit of redirecting. He's not comfortable playing close.

Mind you he has v good closing speed, caught someone wihth a tackle when they were moving and made it look like they were standing still, also did some nice things linking up the play and held his ground under pressure to mark a couple of times.

Can't really judge where he's at from one outing - looks to be making progress, but a long way to go and think Willie firsts will be his limit this season.

I take heart that you are more positive about him than your earlier comments.

alwaysadog
22-02-2009, 09:16 AM
I take heart that you are more positive about him than your earlier comments.

They weren't designed as a put down or in a negative way but as an attempt to explain his errant behaviour early last season. The signs were much better socially as well as football wise last Friday.

Cyberdoggie
23-02-2009, 10:44 AM

He did look a bit at sea in defence, perhaps they are trying to teach him a thing or two about defending and defensive pressure so he can take that when playing up forward.

He looks a very raw footballer, Ayce is the complete opposite in terms of someone who oozes class and looks like he has the ball on a string. Bouman however looks very much like one of the queensland import that take up the game in their teens. Physically he's got great attributes but looks a little lost at times.

Personally i don't see a lot in Bouman, i think he now has a lot of competition in Cordy, Grant and Roughead for a forward role, and will play the season at Williamstown.

A good season would be for him to put some weight on. He looks fitter but he's still too lean for a KPP. He will also need to improve on last year, which means he will need to play more games in the Willy firsts, and hopefully have an impact (kick some goals, take some marks). So far he's been playing in the reserves against much smaller opponents. If he's going to succeed then he should be able to beat larger bodied opponents with his ability. If he can't even do that now i can't see a future for him.

alwaysadog
23-02-2009, 03:38 PM
He did look a bit at sea in defence, perhaps they are trying to teach him a thing or two about defending and defensive pressure so he can take that when playing up forward.

He looks a very raw footballer, Ayce is the complete opposite in terms of someone who oozes class and looks like he has the ball on a string. Bouman however looks very much like one of the queensland import that take up the game in their teens. Physically he's got great attributes but looks a little lost at times.

Personally i don't see a lot in Bouman, i think he now has a lot of competition in Cordy, Grant and Roughead for a forward role, and will play the season at Williamstown.

A good season would be for him to put some weight on. He looks fitter but he's still too lean for a KPP. He will also need to improve on last year, which means he will need to play more games in the Willy firsts, and hopefully have an impact (kick some goals, take some marks). So far he's been playing in the reserves against much smaller opponents. If he's going to succeed then he should be able to beat larger bodied opponents with his ability. If he can't even do that now i can't see a future for him.

He suffers if one compares him to Ayce, very different draft positions. I agree he is totally raw and its not that he's undisciplined, though he may be that too, but that he's never learnt what being a rounded player is all about and now he's got to start. I doubt he's ever had to worry about defence, he would have had the pace to win the ball as a junior.

Skinny, that's an understatement, he was only played on Ayce so that people wouldn't laugh at him. From my vantage point I couldn't see any hips at all.

At this stage I'm not so worried about him, I hate the cliche, but he is a project, probably a long term project.

I can see positives as well as negatives. His speed is amazing either making position or chasing and laying a tackle. He is a lot more comfortable when we have possession. He makes position quite well and he's aware of who's around him.

Now I'm not getting carried away, he is a long way from even being an emergency for the seniors but the ball is in his court. As Ayce showed in spite of all the tackling practice Jarrad still lets his opponent work their arms free, a cardinal sin IMO.

Can he develop his strengths so they represent a threat and work on his weaknesses so they are not an embarassment? He managed a couple of games for Willie firsts late in the season I believe, so he showed something and that wily coach for the blue and yellow will be on his case and in his ear.

I've got an open mind in the end it probably depends who he teams up with at the club as a role model and how much he wants to succeed.

LostDoggy
23-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Roughead>>>> Boumann

GVGjr
23-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Roughead>>>> Boumann

Based on what?

lemmon
23-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Ive seen very little of him, whats he like below his knees is he still a chance at impacting on the contest or does he struggle with the footy on the deck?

Mantis
23-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Based on what?

Agree.

Roughead is a developing ruckman whereas Boumann is a developing key forward/ defender. They really can't be compared.

GVGjr
23-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Agree.

Roughead is a developing ruckman whereas Boumann is a developing key forward/ defender. They really can't be compared.

Both are unproven. I'm optimistic about Roughead based on a few TAC games I saw him play and his efforts so far at training but Boumann has been very restricted from him shoulder operation so we can't discount him too much.

alwaysadog
23-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Ive seen very little of him, whats he like below his knees is he still a chance at impacting on the contest or does he struggle with the footy on the deck?

It's all pure speculation. How many boom recruits have we witnessed who were the next big thing until they had to pull on a boot in anger?

It's lovely media stuff and Rocket knows how to do it and how important it is, especially as the club seems to have forgotten how to spell media smarts, let alone practise it, but none of the recruits has really made a case in the way that Chris Grant did.

On the other hand they didn't look out of place.

alwaysadog
23-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Agree.

I know that's the goss on Roughie, but I'm not sure that's what we have in mind. Only time will tell.

lemmon
23-02-2009, 10:44 PM
It's all pure speculation. How many boom recruits have we witnessed who were the next big thing until they had to pull on a boot in anger?

It's lovely media stuff and Rocket knows how to do it and how important it is, especially as the club seems to have forgotten how to spell media smarts, let alone practise it, but none of the recruits has really made a case in the way that Chris Grant did.

On the other hand they didn't look out of place.

I think i may have been misunderstood, is he any good when the ball hits the floor or is he only a chance when going at a grab?

GVGjr
23-02-2009, 10:49 PM

He's not bad in that regard. Like most tall underdeveloped youngsters Boumann still has a lot to learn but when it all clicks for him he does some exciting things. He needs time but he also needs to put the work in. I'm not expecting great things from him this year but if he continues to improve we might have a handy mobile tall ready to slot into the seniors in 2010.

alwaysadog
23-02-2009, 11:04 PM
He's not bad in that regard. Like most tall underdeveloped youngsters Boumann still has a lot to learn but when it all clicks for him he does some exciting things. He needs time but he also needs to put the work in. I'm not expecting great things from him this year but if he continues to improve we might have a handy mobile tall ready to slot into the seniors in 2010.

That's consistent with what I've seen of him so far.

LostDoggy
24-02-2009, 07:30 PM
I know that's the goss on Roughie, but I'm not sure that's what we have in mind. Only time will tell.

What this guy said ^

Boumann won't make it at AFL level.

GVGjr
24-02-2009, 07:37 PM
What this guy said ^

How about supporting that statement with some valid reasons or flaws in his game?

alwaysadog
24-02-2009, 09:02 PM
How about supporting that statement with some valid reasons or flaws in his game?

What he said.

LostDoggy
24-02-2009, 09:56 PM
What this guy said ^

you seem to contradict yourself! In other threads your asking to give players a go after they have come back from injury! Let the kid have a crack and see how he go's!

Mantis
24-02-2009, 11:00 PM

Roughead's forward play, from what I have seen is being a bit overplayed. Sure he kicked 3 last Friday, but atleast 2 of these were gifted to him.

He looks a natural ruckman and I am sure he will be used in this area once his body develops.

Bulldog Revolution
25-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Like most key position draft picks who are not first rounders Boumann is pretty raw. He has a good turn of speed, but is still very lightly built. I like the efforts to develop him in the backline. I mainly hope he has a good year under Gotch in the VFL as he does not physically ready to play AFL footy yet.

LostDoggy
25-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Roughead's forward play, from what I have seen is being a bit overplayed. Sure he kicked 3 last Friday, but atleast 2 of these were gifted to him.

He looks a natural ruckman and I am sure he will be used in this area once his body develops.

I think all 3 were basically gifts
A ruck free from about 30-40 out in the first quarter
A mark in the square and hand ball over the top in the last.

bornadog
25-02-2009, 01:48 PM

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/VFLReservesGrandFinalBoxHillvWillia.jpg

What basis do you make that statement?

He is 19 years old and still developing?

Cyberdoggie
25-02-2009, 01:55 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/VFLReservesGrandFinalBoxHillvWillia.jpg

Hehe, the attached picture looks rather compelling.

hujsh
25-02-2009, 04:47 PM

Couldn't make him look more unco could you?

alwaysadog
25-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Hehe, the attached picture looks rather compelling.

Cyberdoggie that's the whole trouble with this sort of thing. Someone decides about the conclusion then goes looking for evidence, rather than the other way around. Such people usually end up with a position on the match review fiasco or the reviewers, neither are much admired at the moment.

As you would know there isn't a player in the league present or past who hasn't had snaps taken while he looks awkward with eyes closed or what ever else the supposed sin is.

On the other hand Jarrad has got himself into a much better position than his opponent and elevated himself nicely. A picture, what do they say, is worth a thousand words? Well this one can be interpreted in lots of different ways

FWIW I don't understand the mindset of those who seem to take a peverse delight in making negative comments about young players. Myself I want them all to succeed.

LostDoggy
25-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Why do i need to explain myself, it's just my opinion.

I don't think he has the football ability to make it.

Mantis
25-02-2009, 05:44 PM

Because this forum is based on discussing people's opinion.

GVGjr
25-02-2009, 06:13 PM

As Mantis pointed out, this is a discussion forum and it's not just for venting statements without supporting them with valid comments or reasons.

As part of a discussion, people here will constructively challenge other members comments so before positing anything they need to be prepared to explain why they are of an opinion.

Hope this helps.

alwaysadog
25-02-2009, 08:24 PM

Others have provided helpful comments which I won't repeat. So I'll stick to one issue.

What you are saying seems to be the equivalent of "I can spot football talent better than those who are paid to do it and who have devoted a considerable number of years doing so."

As someone who knows nothing about your capacities and who believes the matter of young Jarrad is still an open question, I need some reasons to believe that if he fails it will be from something that is obvious to you but escaped the attention of the club recruiters.

I would be greatly assisted in forming my opinion if I knew your reasons and so would the overwhelming majority of those who contribute to this discussion forum.