PDA

View Full Version : Footy Stock Exchange

soupman
18-02-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm not sure if this warrants a full thread, but I have just discovered a game that has similiarities to Supercoach/Dreamteam and may be of interest to some of you.

www.footysx.com.au

Essentially its the stock market with footy players.

LostDoggy
18-02-2009, 06:14 PM
awesome. I play the NBA Version and have wondered when they would do an AFL one.

Rocket Science
18-02-2009, 07:25 PM
That's all I need, another online sport-related distraction-cum-obsession.

Intriguing concept. Lodged my portfolio nary 15 minutes ago and am already turning a profit :)

Interested to see how it unfolds over the course of the season.

soupman
18-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Intriguing concept. Lodged my portfolio nary 15 minutes ago and am already turning a profit :)

I've noticed this. Almost every player has had their value increase thus far. It will be a bit more interesting when people start selling shares and the performance aspect comes into it, making the values fluctuate a bit more.

But at the moment it's almost impossible to lose. Great marketing strategy (even if it is unintentional). Get everyone hooked by letting them all win at the start. Probably rewards the early ones as well.

Rocket Science
19-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Probably rewards the early ones as well.

Indeed...I assume (most) player values are rising en masse as a consequence of more people joining and beginning to 'buy' to establish their portfolios.

Does seem to unduly advantage those who got in on the ground floor, but whatever...I've got moolah to count!

Big Will
19-02-2009, 12:09 PM
That's all I need, another online sport-related distraction-cum-obsession.

May as well give you a another (better) game to become hooked on...

www.ultimatefooty.com

If you are familiar with Yahoo NBA than this is the best AFL fantasy game you will play :cool:

LostDoggy
19-02-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure if this warrants a full thread, but I have just discovered a game that has similiarities to Supercoach/Dreamteam and may be of interest to some of you.

www.footysx.com.au

Essentially its the stock market with footy players.

Thanks!!! I'm in

soupman
19-02-2009, 01:59 PM

www.ultimatefooty.com

If you are familiar with Yahoo NBA than this is the best AFL fantasy game you will play :cool:

I must say this looks pretty awesome as well. We should try and get a Woof league going if interest is high enough. And in the event that we do get a league going, I shotgun a spot in it.

LostDoggy
19-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Eeek another fantasy game

This looks interesting, ive read through how it works..

I dont think its a good idea to juggle DT, SC and this...Thanks for the link though might do it if i really want to get involved

hujsh
19-02-2009, 04:12 PM

www.ultimatefooty.com

Let's hope we don't have a cheat this time.

hujsh
22-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Eagleton is our 4th highest performer in this game. If I had stocks in him I would sell right now.

Who is buying him?

hujsh
01-03-2009, 07:56 PM

www.ultimatefooty.com

I'll set up a Woof one but i fell it should be a democratic process

DECISION ONE
Choose Head-to-Head if you want teams to play against each other each week, just like the AFL. These leagues will culminate in a finals series.
Choose Rotisserie if you want teams to be ranked based on their overall performance, the team on top of the ladder at round 22 is crowned premiers.

DECISION TWO
Category based like last year. Where kicks, handballs, hitouts, frees for, goals ect have a category. Win one category for a point. Win the most categories you beat the team.
Choose points based to have each stat weighted for a number of points eg handballs =2 kicks =3. Most points wins

Any feedback from anyone interested would be great. I like the head to head category based version like last year for a change from other DT comps.

soupman
02-03-2009, 12:05 PM

DECISION ONE
Choose Head-to-Head if you want teams to play against each other each week, just like the AFL. These leagues will culminate in a finals series.
Choose Rotisserie if you want teams to be ranked based on their overall performance, the team on top of the ladder at round 22 is crowned premiers.

DECISION TWO
Category based like last year. Where kicks, handballs, hitouts, frees for, goals ect have a category. Win one category for a point. Win the most categories you beat the team.
Choose points based to have each stat weighted for a number of points eg handballs =2 kicks =3. Most points wins

Any feedback from anyone interested would be great. I like the head to head category based version like last year for a change from other DT comps.

I prefer the head to head aspect, simply because it gives you more of a chance of an upset and means you aren't just acquiring points.

And for decision two I think you have to go for the category based one, simply as it provides a point of difference from the supercoach/dreamteam games.

Would we be able to get enough competitors off of here?

hujsh
02-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Would we be able to get enough competitors off of here?

Did last year so i guess we would.

bulldogsman
02-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Got another fantasy football game here

http://afl.yahoo.virtualsports.com.a...ex&logout=true

A lot like the dream team just scoring is different

League code is: 637966

If anyones interested

Big Will
03-03-2009, 03:01 PM

DECISION ONE

DECISION TWO

Do we have a league yet? I'm keen! ... if you haven't already made a league I vote for head to head, category based scoring.

hujsh
03-03-2009, 05:26 PM
LEAGUE: woof

PASSWORD: rocket

Date for draft is one week from now at 7pm. put in rankings if you can't be available

went for the category based, head to head way.

The league can be edited by me as well if there are any specific details you want to recommend (it is quite detailed)

Big Will
04-03-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm in as Big Will. If anyone else is interested please sign up now www.ultimatefooty.com

soupman
05-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Judging by the lack of league participants I wonder if anybody other than us three even look at this thread. Maybe there should be a seperate thread created.

hujsh
05-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Done one.

hujsh
12-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Our own soupaman is doing good in this game. Dogs were the 2nd richest supporters before the GC randomly became an option.

I'm doing ok (mainly cause i bought so much of Higgins stock) but can find it difficult understanding how the prices are calculated. Picken lost value after his game against North (indicating stats/DT points are all people look at) and Skipper is more expensive than Hudson and Minson.

soupman
13-04-2009, 12:54 AM
Our own soupaman is doing good in this game. Dogs were the 2nd richest supporters before the GC randomly became an option.

I'm doing ok (mainly cause i bought so much of Higgins stock) but can find it difficult understanding how the prices are calculated. Picken lost value after his game against North (indicating stats/DT points are all people look at) and Skipper is more expensive than Hudson and Minson.

Firstly, thanks for noticing. I currently sit in 70th, but had a bad night last night courtesy of Carlton and David Myers not doing as well as hoped (Myers lost me 630 fake dollars).

The prices go up or down not just based on popularity, but performance. As its based on dream team points, anything above a certain amount would increase the value, and anything below a certain amount would decrease it. Thats why Picken's value, despite being very low, went even lower. He scored well below the break even point, so therefore lost alot of value.

I'm not entirely sure how this works though, and whether its easier for those with lower values to increase. I would assume so though.

Thats why basically, to make as much money as you can, load up on stocks for the Friday night game, then once that game is over sell all those stocks and buy for the Saturday arvo games. Then sell and buy for Sat night, and sunday arvo (and even sunday evening if you can make it). Don't feel any attachment to any player because you won't make more than $20 by hanging onto them throughout the week, but stand to make up to $200 off the same funds if you re invest them wisely for the next match. Likewise don't let the sellers fee put you off selling, just cut your losses and move onto the next player. If you do this you'll find yourself rocketing up the charts.

hujsh
19-04-2009, 07:11 PM
New leader as far as i can tell is HAB-54 with Soupaman behind me ATM (though my Griffin/Dogs stocks may fall if the game doesn't turn soon)

Maybe a WOOF comp could be set up if enough CBF joining

soupman
19-04-2009, 09:20 PM
I've gone completely to shit this week. Pretty much every stock I bought lost, so I've lost $4,000 since Friday, and haven't checked how the Bulldogs loss affected me yet, so I could be right back to the bottom.

hujsh
20-04-2009, 05:10 PM
I made a few gains and only lost $1,000 from the Doggies/Griff so I'm about $500 less overall which is pretty reasonable.

Rocket Science
21-04-2009, 01:22 AM
Struth...hadn't checked the site for a couple of weeks when I was ranked around 600 or so from memory...logged in this eve to discover the portfolio's since exploded past the $17k mark and I'm currently sitting 98th, while the Dogs are top of the ladder in average portfolio value.

hujsh
25-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Firstly, thanks for noticing. I currently sit in 70th, but had a bad night last night courtesy of Carlton and David Myers not doing as well as hoped (Myers lost me 630 fake dollars).

The prices go up or down not just based on popularity, but performance. As its based on dream team points, anything above a certain amount would increase the value, and anything below a certain amount would decrease it. Thats why Picken's value, despite being very low, went even lower. He scored well below the break even point, so therefore lost alot of value.

I'm not entirely sure how this works though, and whether its easier for those with lower values to increase. I would assume so though.

Thats why basically, to make as much money as you can, load up on stocks for the Friday night game, then once that game is over sell all those stocks and buy for the Saturday arvo games. Then sell and buy for Sat night, and sunday arvo (and even sunday evening if you can make it). Don't feel any attachment to any player because you won't make more than $20 by hanging onto them throughout the week, but stand to make up to $200 off the same funds if you re invest them wisely for the next match. Likewise don't let the sellers fee put you off selling, just cut your losses and move onto the next player. If you do this you'll find yourself rocketing up the charts.

I find that wise investments early in the week (or even on a Thursday night) can net a decent profit before the matches begin.

I bought a ton of J.Grant stocks and have a 68$ profit which should ensure i don't loose money if he plays bad. He would have to play a god awful match to loose value at his price though

soupman
25-04-2009, 06:15 PM
I find that wise investments early in the week (or even on a Thursday night) can net a decent profit before the matches begin.

I bought a ton of J.Grant stocks and have a 68$ profit which should ensure i don't loose money if he plays bad. He would have to play a god awful match to loose value at his price though

You can probably disregard all my advise now after I've disgraced myself these last two weeks. I peaked at $19,000 two weeks ago, but since then lost about $6,000. I'm slowly recovering. And as for my Bigfooty one, I hit $7,000 and am slowly going back up now.

soupman
05-05-2009, 06:10 PM
For those that are interested I have created a competition for Woof members (I know its a bit late, but why not). Should make it easier to track eachother's progress and is based on money gain from now I believe, so nobody gets much of a headstart apart from the money they can invest.

Its called: Woof (Whitten Oval Online Forum)

The invite code is 912151

hujsh
06-05-2009, 06:34 PM
If the Dogs could win a game I may start making profits again