PDA

View Full Version : Hill hopes all comes out well in the wash

GVGjr
22-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Hill hopes all comes out well in the wash (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/hill-hopes-all-comes-out-well/2009/02/21/1234633137090.html)

http://www.realfooty.com.au/ffximage/2009/02/21/majjoshhill_wideweb__470x376,0.jpg

Emma Quayle | February 22, 2009

IT'S four o'clock on a Thursday and Josh Hill's peaceful afternoon nap has been interrupted by an irate teenage sister, screaming for him to give back her iPod. Hill did pinch it, he concedes, but only because 14-year-old Kirra had left his last two in her pockets, then put them in the washing machine. As the screaming continues, Hill sighs, then politely asks for a call back.

In five minutes? "Maybe 10 …" he says. "I might need 10 to deal with this."

Such domestic dramas will soon be far less common for the young Western Bulldog: next week, Hill will move into a Maribyrnong house with two of his teammates, Jarrod Harbrow and Malcolm Lynch. As far as he is aware, the two have iPods of their own. He expects, however, to encounter some entirely new challenges.

"Everyone's saying, 'You'll have to do your own washing and everything', but that's fine with me," Hill said. "It's about time I learnt how to do all of those things, I reckon. I've never really had to look after myself before, so it'll be good. I'm 20 years old now so the time has probably come for me."

Still, Hill is not sure he would be attempting to back up such an exciting 18-game season had he not been heading home to some familiar faces after work each night last year. His parents and sister moved from Perth to Taylors Lakes at the end of 2007 — having contemplated moving to Melbourne for a while, with Josh being drafted by the Bulldogs a happy coincidence — and he found himself distracted from football, in a positive, refreshing way.

He enjoyed simply being around his family again, too, having moved from Broome to Perth as a 13-year-old to go to school at Trinity College, live with relatives and get drafted four years later. "Coming home to your family, everyone has other things to talk about," Hill said. "It's never just football all day long. That made everything feel a bit less stressful."

Hill had some thinking to do midway through last year, though. He had been determined to make the first-round side last year, with his single, entirely unexpected, game at the end of 2007 a spur. "I came in as emergency that week and I'd spent all week thinking how good it was to be an emergency," he said. "When I played, it just clicked in my head that I should have had bigger aims."

To read the full article click the link below

Hill hopes all comes out well in the wash (http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/hill-hopes-all-comes-out-well/2009/02/21/1234633137090.html)

azabob
22-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Hill is one of my favourite players. He has the ability to have a very very good AFL player. Hopefully his mental side stands up to what is required.
To me he was born to play finals football and dominate it.

LostDoggy
22-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Hill= Gun. It's going to be interesting to watch him develop into hopefully a consistent contributor. If he can add a few more 'strings to his bow' then it can only enhance our chances of winning a flag.

LostDoggy
22-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Hill is one of my favourite players. He has the ability to have a very very good AFL player. Hopefully his mental side stands up to what is required.
To me he was born to play finals football and dominate it.

As you can tell he's one of my fav players as well. If I recall correctly he did very well against the Swans in the 3rd quarter, which is where my name originated. I can't see him being as consistent in Cross or Boyd terms. If he can take 3 or 4 pack marks a game and kick a few goals I think he deserves to be in the top 22.

Mantis
22-02-2009, 12:09 PM
As you can tell he's one of my fav players as well. If I recall correctly he did very well against the Swans in the 3rd quarter, which is where my name originated. I can't see him being as consistent in Cross or Boyd terms. If he can take 3 or 4 pack marks a game and kick a few goals I think he deserves to be in the top 22.

FWIW how many players in the competition take 3 or 4 contested marks per game?

I think those expectations are a little high.

LostDoggy
22-02-2009, 12:29 PM
true. That was just a random number I pulled out my head.

LostDoggy
22-02-2009, 12:39 PM
He averaged 1.33 contested marks last year in the home and away season. Season best- 4 (vs Adelaide and Essendon)

Rocco Jones
22-02-2009, 01:20 PM
FWIW how many players in the competition take 3 or 4 contested marks per game?

I think those expectations are a little high.

From memory I think an average of just over 2 contest marks per game would have you the leading contested marker in the league.

Rocco Jones
22-02-2009, 01:23 PM
From memory I think an average of just over 2 contest marks per game would have you the leading contested marker in the league.

2.2 per game was the figure last year.

LostDoggy
22-02-2009, 02:09 PM
2.2 per game was the figure last year.

I have faith:p