PDA

View Full Version : Kelli Underwood as a footballer caller?

GVGjr
22-02-2009, 03:23 PM
I had a look at the Geelong and Adelaide clash last night and Kelli Underwood was one of the callers. Now I'm not negative to change at all but she really doesn't have the feel of the game nor the right voice to really call games of football as far as I am concerned.

Did anyone think she is likely to be a regular caller of games?

BulldogBelle
22-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Good luck to them giving her a go...but from a female perspective (mine) she doesn't seem to have the ooooomph in her calling. Very bland and unemotional, perhaps it was the nerves with her first call of the game. I reckon they will peservere with Kelli and see how she goes.

bulldogtragic
22-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Gary Ablett makes a gret pick up, near the boundary line and snaps a good goal.

The commentator made it seem boring, there was no life or spirit or excitement in the call. I said the better half that the play by Ablett was really exciting and great play and as she wasn't watching the screen went 'sure'.

This commentator was in fact Kelli Underwood. The commentating was uninspiring and i turned off from the game. The better hald mentioned the same thing saying that irrespective of gender, KU just hasn't got the right voice to call AFL. I agree. I would hope she is not calling regularly, and like some rules, it's just an experiement gone wrong in the NAB cup.

azabob
22-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Did she call the game on the TV or radio?

BulldogBelle
22-02-2009, 04:07 PM

She called it on C 10 last night during the Geelong v Adelaide game.

azabob
22-02-2009, 04:10 PM
She called it on C 10 last night during the Geelong v Adelaide game.

Thanks BB, I think I remember hearing that she has previously called games on the radio, obivously calling on the TV is different to the radio so maybe she just needs some time to settle in?
Surely she can't be any worse than Michael Christan or Andrew Maher?

ledge
22-02-2009, 04:21 PM
I was embarrassed by it and i think the other commentators could pick how bad she was by adding more adjectives to help out.
She doesnt have it sorry.
Her voice did become annoying very quickly too.

hujsh
22-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks BB, I think I remember hearing that she has previously called games on the radio, obivously calling on the TV is different to the radio so maybe she just needs some time to settle in?
Surely she can't be any worse than Michael Christan or Andrew Maher?

Boundary rider. See him for a total of about 5 mins

Sockeye Salmon
22-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Good luck to them giving her a go...but from a female perspective (mine) she doesn't seem to have the ooooomph in her calling. Very bland and unemotional, perhaps it was the nerves with her first call of the game. I reckon they will peservere with Kelli and see how she goes.

I reckon they told her to tone it down.

The problem with women callers is that their voice is much higher than that of a man so if she gets too excited it will sound like a screech.

Her player recognition was very good and she described what was happening fairly well too.

ledge
22-02-2009, 05:16 PM
The problem with women callers is that their voice is much higher than that of a man so if she gets too excited it will sound like a screech.

So why have women callers if thats the case?
They need it to be exciting.

BulldogBelle
22-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Her player recognition was very good and she described what was happening fairly well too.

Agreed, she did have good knowledge with regards to the players. Perhaps she was a little nervous calling her first game on tv.

hujsh
22-02-2009, 05:30 PM

I was worried that would happen. She didn't have too high a voice though so maybe she could avoid it and be exciting in the near future.

LostDoggy
22-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Watched about 10mins of the Geel/Adel replay, cannot stand her voice..she is very bland and boring..

And lame in the fact she gave David Mackay a nickname 'Got a nickname guys....D-Mac..for david mackay' *Awkward Silence* "I'll pay that"..

She referred to calling him D-Mac the next time he got the ball...not cool Kelli, your not BT

azabob
22-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Boundary rider. See him for a total of about 5 mins

Still 5 mins too long!

azabob
22-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Watched about 10mins of the Geel/Adel replay, cannot stand her voice..she is very bland and boring..

And lame in the fact she gave David Mackay a nickname 'Got a nickname guys....D-Mac..for david mackay' *Awkward Silence* "I'll pay that"..

She referred to calling him D-Mac the next time he got the ball...not cool Kelli, your not BT

BT as in Brian Taylor? Can't say I rate him as a commentator....

mighty_west
22-02-2009, 07:00 PM
I tend the think people should perhaps give her a few more goes at it before really making a judgement call, i kind of felt a bit uneasy listening to her, but thats more so for being her first call etc.

hujsh
22-02-2009, 07:17 PM
BT as in Brian Taylor? Can't say I rate him as a commentator....

Still stealing his material (nicknames)

soupman
22-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Her voice is really nasal and irritating, definitely not suited to the commentary box.

Her player recognition was good, but I did find that at times she didn't really describe the play properly. For example there was a spot in the first quarter where the Geelong players were under pressure and just handpassing the footy around and she pulled out the phrase "silky skills", which didn't seem to suit the situation at all.

She wasn't terrible, and I understand many of these issues could be attributed to first game nerves, but with her voice I don't think she will make it.

It makes you appreciate how smooth the normal commentators are though. I very rarely pay attention to them but last night I realised just what a good job they actually do.

mjp
22-02-2009, 08:20 PM
She got the player names right. Most of the rest of it is pretty inane anyway. I thought she was fine - certainly no worse than some of the others (Jason Bennett, Tim Lane, Steve Quartermaine and Michael Christian spring immediately to mind) and no-one has tried to poach Brereton or Lyon from 9 to do special comments which is good.

Less is more.

Raw Toast
22-02-2009, 08:37 PM
I reckon they told her to tone it down.

Agree with this. and I think you are right in that people fear that:

The problem with women callers is that their voice is much higher than that of a man so if she gets too excited it will sound like a screech..

I'm not convinced that she would sound like she was screeching if she revved it up, but it did seem like she was under clear instructions to be slow and measured.

I don't think she was great, but thought she called the action pretty well and would take her over Christian, Bennett, BT and especially James Brayshaw - I agree with MJP that less is more.

I'd like to hear her given a few games and then judge it from there.

Mofra
22-02-2009, 10:14 PM
She sounded very, very, very nervous for mine.

She picked up some of the players well (considering Adelaide's jumper changes) however she didn't seem to understand the rules at times (especially in the first quarter, missing some fairly obvious frees ie not knowing out of bounds on the full).

Will give her a few more chances, she may just need to get used to the role. Didn't find her voice irritating, and I assume she'll sound a little more natural as time progresses.

The Pie Man
22-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Made for an awkward moment at home when I conceded this was an alien tv experience for me. I countered that women's tennis and netball is often called by women and that fits, but I didn't even convince myself there wasn't some lurking sexism there (and believe me I'm not normally sexist)

Hoping it was just her and not women commentators in footy that turned me off. She sounded weird. Maybe it's the type of game it is, it just calls for a masculine voice...yeah, that's it, I'm not sexist (oh sheez)

hujsh
22-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Made for an awkward moment at home when I conceded this was an alien tv experience for me. I countered that women's tennis and netball is often called by women and that fits, but I didn't even convince myself there wasn't some lurking sexism there (and believe me I'm not normally sexist)

Hoping it was just her and not women commentators in footy that turned me off. She sounded weird. Maybe it's the type of game it is, it just calls for a masculine voice...yeah, that's it, I'm not sexist (oh sheez)

Just because you find women don't work well as commentators doesn't make you sexist. Just a preference.

Sockeye Salmon
22-02-2009, 11:41 PM
She sounded very, very, very nervous for mine.

She picked up some of the players well (considering Adelaide's jumper changes) however she didn't seem to understand the rules at times (especially in the first quarter, missing some fairly obvious frees ie not knowing out of bounds on the full).

Will give her a few more chances, she may just need to get used to the role. Didn't find her voice irritating, and I assume she'll sound a little more natural as time progresses.

I'd cut her some slack here. She knows her footy fairly well and I'm perfectly sure she knows the OOB rule.

Dancin' Douggy
23-02-2009, 10:50 AM
I though she was completely awful.

Bulldog Revolution
23-02-2009, 11:39 AM
It was clear to me that she was very well prepared, and was far quicker at spotting fringe/new players in action than anyone else I have heard preseason

In fact she actually knew who they were, which is a big step up on the boys club regulars

I thought her voice was a little bit monotone, which was probably a sign of nerves

and that the Richie Benaud advice of dont say anything unless you can add to the picture could also be applied - I thought she over called it a bit.

If she'd been a player you'd say she showed good signs in her debut and that she'd get better with more experience

LostDoggy
23-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Who the .... is Kelli Underwood?

bornadog
23-02-2009, 01:21 PM
It was clear to me that she was very well prepared, and was far quicker at spotting fringe/new players in action than anyone else I have heard preseason

In fact she actually knew who they were, which is a big step up on the boys club regulars

I thought her voice was a little bit monotone, which was probably a sign of nerves

and that the Richie Benaud advice of dont say anything unless you can add to the picture could also be applied - I thought she over called it a bit.

If she'd been a player you'd say she showed good signs in her debut and that she'd get better with more experience

I agree, very tough for a female to call footy when we are all used to hearing a male voice.

Personally, of all the callers on TV or radio, there are very few I rate.

Scraggers
23-02-2009, 01:55 PM

Agree totally but ... I will make a sexist comment ... I don't think women should call football.

The Underwood experience had me turning off the TV

Made for an awkward moment at home when I conceded this was an alien tv experience for me.

Hoping it was just her and not women commentators in footy that turned me off. She sounded weird.

But maybe that's just it ... something I'm not used to ... we'll see how the season turns out, but I didn't enjoy this call at all :(

always right
23-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Only heard snippets of her call but I remember reading that the station trained her to lower the tone of her voice so as not to sound too shrill.

A really difficult gig first up. Let's face it....she knows she's going to be under fierce scrutiny as the first female caller and there would be many waiting for her to fall over. so to get through the call without too many disasters is a pretty good achievement.

She has the added problem of having mainly called on the radio which is obviously very different to TV. That would explain the "over-calling" of many passages of play. Personally I'm skeptical that she will be a long term prospect but I think she should be given several opportunities to settle in. Jury is out.

Bumper Bulldogs
23-02-2009, 02:25 PM

I must say I thought she was ordinary on C10, but from memory last year she call a Game or 1/4 with 3aw and I thought she was much better, Maybe it was the fact that she was with Rex ect and they had different styles that complemented each other.

I believe that we need women in the media, I listened to her I couldn't help but think her voice was doing the movement no good at all.

I think that Carolyn Wilson has a far better voice for commentary, also the Freeman girl in horse racing does a great job. Also that hurt as i don't particularly like Caro!!!

Sorry girls just my opinion.

aker39
23-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Agree totally but ... I will make a sexist comment ... I don't think women should call football.

Why not?

Scraggers
23-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Why not?

I went on to say maybe I'm just not used to it ... and we'll see how the season pans out

I stated I though she did a good job but, I also said I didn't enjoy the call

At this stage, it's more about me than her ... and I voted with my feet

Mofra
23-02-2009, 07:49 PM
I'd cut her some slack here. She knows her footy fairly well and I'm perfectly sure she knows the OOB rule.
Perhaps she knows of it; but missing it during gameplay (when it actually counts as a commentator) was embarrassing for her.

GVGjr
23-02-2009, 08:23 PM
FWIW, she got a number of glowing recommendations on SEN today but I didn't think she was great.

hujsh
23-02-2009, 11:26 PM
I must say I thought she was ordinary on C10, but from memory last year she call a Game or 1/4 with 3aw and I thought she was much better, Maybe it was the fact that she was with Rex ect and they had different styles that complemented each other.

I believe that we need women in the media, I listened to her I couldn't help but think her voice was doing the movement no good at all.

I think that Carolyn Wilson has a far better voice for commentary, also the Freeman girl in horse racing does a great job. Also that hurt as i don't particularly like Caro!!!

Sorry girls just my opinion.

Doesn't she lisp still?

LostDoggy
24-02-2009, 01:45 PM

Exactly. Is she the daughter of a former club president also? :confused:

azabob
24-02-2009, 04:07 PM

Because your saying your location is Adelaide Im not sure if you being sarcastic or not, you may not know who she is but she has done some sports reporting work for 3AW and maybe another AM radio station here in Melbourne. Last year or the year before she got to call a 1/4 or a game for 3AW.

azabob
24-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Exactly. Is she the daughter of a former club president also? :confused:

M.R.M what do you mean by saying that? Both Caroline Wilson and Kelli Underwood would've had to work extremely hard to get the opportunities they have been given, not because of who they know.

Remi Moses
24-02-2009, 10:06 PM
God female commentators. What next? equal pay,untied from the stove. Thanfully she doesn't scream every possible moment like some commentators. Talking of monotoned voices Andrew Maher is top of the pops. Personally I thought she was okay

Remi Moses
24-02-2009, 10:08 PM

Yeah well who the F*** is Anthont Hudson,Andrew Maher,Mike Sheehan. All those havent played the game yet there dials are still all over the place:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
24-02-2009, 10:09 PM
I tend the think people should perhaps give her a few more goes at it before really making a judgement call, i kind of felt a bit uneasy listening to her, but thats more so for being her first call etc.

Well some people give snap judgments on whether a player is good or not after one game, I reckon commentators are given 5 minutes before they are labeled as crap or bearable.

The Underdog
24-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Yeah well who the F*** is Anthont Hudson,Andrew Maher,Mike Sheehan. All those havent played the game yet there dials are still all over the place:rolleyes:

It's funny that any of these people get hassled for not having played football yet Michael Christian did and is still utter rubbish as a caller.
Surely an accurate knowledge of players and a feel for the game and the importance of the moment is more important than having played the game for a play by play commentator. I'll admit that a more in depth knowledge of the game s needed for special comments but the ability to communicate it doesn't seem to be a prerequisite for most outlets. In fact the name seems more important than anything.

LostDoggy
24-02-2009, 10:17 PM
There is always the mute button. But then, there's be one less thing to whinge about!

Scraggers
25-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Interesting article ... Interesting comments from the General Public as well

Game still blokey
Trevor Grant | February 24, 2009 12:00am

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25096956-19742,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6501623,00.jpg

NOT so long ago, footy had no idea what to do about women. The dilemma was perfectly encapsulated by Allan McAlister's gesture to place his hand over the eyes of a young female reporter who had somehow found her way into the Collingwood dressingroom after a game.

The Collingwood president (from 1986-1995) no doubt thought he was being chivalrous, protecting her from the sight of all those naked male bodies cavorting in the showers.

Really, though, he was reflecting the struggle a male-dominated sport was having in recognising that women had a part to play in the game.

We now live in more enlightened times, where football embraces the intrinsic value of women.

Deep-seated male fears about a female presence outside the grandstand appear to belong to the past.

Not, though, if you assess reaction to the debut of Kelli Underwood as a Channel 10 commentator on Saturday.

"Nervous", "didn't work", "plucky", "OK", were some of the comments written by (male) critics.

Her (male) boss at Ten, David Barham, said that though she was promising, there was no plan to use her again this year.

It could be summed up this way: nice try, girl, but, even though you can do the job, it's a blokes' world.

So if you sit in the corner and be a good girl, you might get another shot one day.

The example of Kate Fitzpatrick's failed stint on Channel 9's cricket coverage 25 years ago was trotted out to explain how tough it is for a female commentator - a ridiculous comparison.

Fitzpatrick was a good-looking actor with an interest in cricket and cricketers. Underwood is an experienced football journalist who knows as much about the game as most of her male counterparts.

Fitzpatrick was a dud because she was there for entertainment value.

Underwood knows her stuff, and, as she showed, has the makings of a high-class caller who should be in the box for the 2009 season; which no doubt she would be, if she was a male.

While her understandable nerves were forensically examined by critics, several qualities were overlooked.

First, she bothered to identify the players with the ball, something you might think was an unwritten basic for a commentator.

Not so these days, though, when you have so many callers hell-bent on doing the job of the "special comments" people alongside them.

It was refreshing to listen to Underwood engage the "special comments" men by posing questions rather than trying to air her opinions - a sign of professionalism not always evident in a few of her male counterparts.

If nothing else, Underwood's understated delivery provides a welcome point of difference. There's been an over-supply of testosterone for too long.

Too many young men now compete for the title of Tarzan of the airwaves in the belief that loudest is best.

Rex Hunt has a lot to answer for.

One critic said Underwood clearly follows and understands the game.

Did he expect her to be a soccer fanatic or Shakespeare devotee improvising on the night?

Nothing like a good dose of the patronising male to kick off the footy season.

Happy Days
25-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Interesting article ... Interesting comments from the General Public as well

Game still blokey
Trevor Grant | February 24, 2009 12:00am

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25096956-19742,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6501623,00.jpg

NOT so long ago, footy had no idea what to do about women. The dilemma was perfectly encapsulated by Allan McAlister's gesture to place his hand over the eyes of a young female reporter who had somehow found her way into the Collingwood dressingroom after a game.

The Collingwood president (from 1986-1995) no doubt thought he was being chivalrous, protecting her from the sight of all those naked male bodies cavorting in the showers.

Really, though, he was reflecting the struggle a male-dominated sport was having in recognising that women had a part to play in the game.

We now live in more enlightened times, where football embraces the intrinsic value of women.

Deep-seated male fears about a female presence outside the grandstand appear to belong to the past.

Not, though, if you assess reaction to the debut of Kelli Underwood as a Channel 10 commentator on Saturday.

"Nervous", "didn't work", "plucky", "OK", were some of the comments written by (male) critics.

Her (male) boss at Ten, David Barham, said that though she was promising, there was no plan to use her again this year.

It could be summed up this way: nice try, girl, but, even though you can do the job, it's a blokes' world.

So if you sit in the corner and be a good girl, you might get another shot one day.

The example of Kate Fitzpatrick's failed stint on Channel 9's cricket coverage 25 years ago was trotted out to explain how tough it is for a female commentator - a ridiculous comparison.

Fitzpatrick was a good-looking actor with an interest in cricket and cricketers. Underwood is an experienced football journalist who knows as much about the game as most of her male counterparts.

Fitzpatrick was a dud because she was there for entertainment value.

Underwood knows her stuff, and, as she showed, has the makings of a high-class caller who should be in the box for the 2009 season; which no doubt she would be, if she was a male.

While her understandable nerves were forensically examined by critics, several qualities were overlooked.

First, she bothered to identify the players with the ball, something you might think was an unwritten basic for a commentator.

Not so these days, though, when you have so many callers hell-bent on doing the job of the "special comments" people alongside them.

It was refreshing to listen to Underwood engage the "special comments" men by posing questions rather than trying to air her opinions - a sign of professionalism not always evident in a few of her male counterparts.

If nothing else, Underwood's understated delivery provides a welcome point of difference. There's been an over-supply of testosterone for too long.

Too many young men now compete for the title of Tarzan of the airwaves in the belief that loudest is best.

Rex Hunt has a lot to answer for.

One critic said Underwood clearly follows and understands the game.

Did he expect her to be a soccer fanatic or Shakespeare devotee improvising on the night?

Nothing like a good dose of the patronising male to kick off the footy season.

Righto.

Because if a man says that she isn't up to it as a caller, it has to be because shes a woman and we're all chauvanistic pigs. It couldnt possibly be that she just wasnt very good, not at all.

What a load of crap.

hujsh
25-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Righto.

Because if a man says that she isn't up to it as a caller, it has to be because shes a woman and we're all chauvanistic pigs. It couldnt possibly be that she just wasnt very good, not at all.

What a load of crap.

I got a similar impression.

ledge
25-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I dont care what sex they are, it was terrible.

The Pie Man
25-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Just because you find women don't work well as commentators doesn't make you sexist. Just a preference.

Cheers for that

After reading the Trevor Grant article, I noted that they have no intention of using her again this year. If nerves played any role in her performance that maybe slightly unfair.

I will give her her due - she clearly knows football, and called it ok. I just prefer male callers. I'll also say this (and this is very genuine) Give me Christi Malthouse as a boundary rider over %&*$ Oleranshaw any freakin day (though in saying that I may open a can of worms as to how she got her foot in the door, but she's ok with me....Rick on the other hand.....)

LostDoggy
18-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Thought i might bring back this thread from the Achives..

Today in the Cats v Dees game, Kelli is the main Commentator.
I really have nothing against her!
If we have female goal umpires, and female physio's, why can't we have a female commentator?
Sure, she doesnt have the 'X factor', but after a bit of practice and tips from fellow callers, she could become a very professional caller!

AndrewP6
18-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Having a bit of a listen to Kelli today...no offence to her, or women in general, but it's not working for me... can't pinpoint it, she doesn't seem that bad... just don't really like listening to her. At least she doesn't seem to say odd things like Bruce "Delicious" McAvaney.

The Coon Dog
18-07-2009, 06:25 PM
I reckon she was pretty good today. After the initial realisation, she blended in well.

LostDoggy
18-07-2009, 07:00 PM
She's hot, what else matters???

lol

Anything she says will be much more credible than a man calling another man delicious.

wb_age
18-07-2009, 07:03 PM
I thought the commentating was on delay.

Eg. Geelong are clearing the ball out of defence and she was still rambling on about the demons bombing it in long.

It's a no from me and also a no from my "female" friend who was watching with me.

wb_age
18-07-2009, 07:07 PM
She's hot, what else matters???

lol

Anything she says will be much more credible than a man calling another man delicious.
I guess you can't fail when you set such low standards.

LostDoggy
18-07-2009, 07:09 PM
I thought the commentating was on delay.

Eg. Geelong are clearing the ball out of defence and she was still rambling on about the demons bombing it in long.

It's a no from me and also a no from my "female" friend who was watching with me.

I beg to differ..
She seems to be more of a traditionl caller, one who says all the names and forgets about special comments.
But i reckon she picked up the pace of the game quite well really.

She reminds me of sam lane on the panel for before the game.
Not a comedian, but she is there because she knows the game.

LostDoggy
18-07-2009, 07:22 PM
I just think her voice is annoying..Much like I dont like listening to Dwayne Russell..just irritate me.

Her tone never seems to change either, so for me it still feels awkward.

The Adelaide Connection
18-07-2009, 07:48 PM
I think that her commentary in general was pretty good. She accurately described play as it happened and used the same sorts of phrases as is the norm. She was a little repetitive at times, but that could be put down to nerves and at least it wasn't as bad as when Brayshaw used to spout out "Dukes" and "Prune" so often and quickly that I actually thought he was a "Dukes" and "Prune" novelty machine gun.

As mentioned her commetary was old school style, she didn't bring a lot of insight into what was happening off the ball or certain incidents/matchups etc that were influencing play etc like some of the better commentators do. This may come with experience/confidence and at the end of the day she was not special comments so as long as she can call play with the ball she is doing her job.

My big criticism (and one I don't think can be easily rectified) is to do with the tone/pitch of her voice. I am 180cm and no amount of hard work or natural ability is going to allow me to play as a ruckmen and I feel the same about her voice and commentary. My girlfriend was also sitting beside me and, without even mentioning it, she told me she thought her voice was "not right and quite irritating".

I commend channel 10 for their innovation and risk taking and am all for women in football. Boundary riders and panelists certainly do work. Given the right female voice I think it could work in commentary also. The right voice is critical for tv/radio. But for now it is a "NO" from me.

The Adelaide Connection
18-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Oh and did I hear correctly that they gave her the "commentator of the round award" on Before the Game?

Since when has this award been around and why would they give it when only 3 games of footy have been played so far this weekend? Lame.

LostDoggy
18-07-2009, 08:04 PM
I don't like her voice for commentating.

They need more people like Michael Christian, his commentating voice is awesome!

Sockeye Salmon
18-07-2009, 11:14 PM
I think that her commentary in general was pretty good. She accurately described play as it happened and used the same sorts of phrases as is the norm. She was a little repetitive at times, but that could be put down to nerves and at least it wasn't as bad as when Brayshaw used to spout out "Dukes" and "Prune" so often and quickly that I actually thought he was a "Dukes" and "Prune" novelty machine gun.

As mentioned her commetary was old school style, she didn't bring a lot of insight into what was happening off the ball or certain incidents/matchups etc that were influencing play etc like some of the better commentators do. This may come with experience/confidence and at the end of the day she was not special comments so as long as she can call play with the ball she is doing her job.

My big criticism (and one I don't think can be easily rectified) is to do with the tone/pitch of her voice. I am 180cm and no amount of hard work or natural ability is going to allow me to play as a ruckmen and I feel the same about her voice and commentary. My girlfriend was also sitting beside me and, without even mentioning it, she told me she thought her voice was "not right and quite irritating".

I commend channel 10 for their innovation and risk taking and am all for women in football. Boundary riders and panelists certainly do work. Given the right female voice I think it could work in commentary also. The right voice is critical for tv/radio. But for now it is a "NO" from me.

That's always going to be the problem with female commentators.

A male commentator has a deep voice that gets higher as he gets excited. A woman's voice is already high, so if she gets excited there's nowhere to go but squeal.

I think Underwood is conscious of it and tries not to get excited, unfortunately that makes her monotone.

Player recognition was excellent, though.

The Underdog
18-07-2009, 11:35 PM
I don't like her voice for commentating.

They need more people like Michael Christian, his commentating voice is awesome!

:eek:
**** I hope you're joking.

jazzadogs
18-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Oh and did I hear correctly that they gave her the "commentator of the round award" on Before the Game?

Since when has this award been around and why would they give it when only 3 games of footy have been played so far this weekend? Lame.
They give out a player of the game award each Saturday, to whichever player says "yes" to being interviewed by them.

Seeing as it was a groundbreaking moment in AFL commentating, as a female has never commentated an AFL Premiership season match on TV before, they decided to bring attention to it and have a chat to her. I thought it was nice that they spoke about it, and gave her an opportunity to introduce herself to more football fans.

Didnt watch the Cats game though, so I can't comment on her commentary =]

Remi Moses
19-07-2009, 12:39 AM
heard her again today I think she is capable accurate . no problems with me. Rex Hunt on the other hand well.

BulldogBelle
19-07-2009, 12:47 AM
Liked her commentary. Not too much to beat anyway.

The Adelaide Connection
19-07-2009, 12:56 AM
That's always going to be the problem with female commentators.

A male commentator has a deep voice that gets higher as he gets excited. A woman's voice is already high, so if she gets excited there's nowhere to go but squeal.

I think Underwood is conscious of it and tries not to get excited, unfortunately that makes her monotone.

Player recognition was excellent, though.

Agree and agree. No question that she knows her stuff and I am not one to subscribe to the "hasn't played football or she is a girl and therefore she can't etc"

And I think you are spot on about the voice. In fact I heard that channel 10 actually made her practice preseason (before the last trial) not getting excited. Not being able to get excited makes Jack (or Jill) a dull commentator.

LostDoggy
19-07-2009, 10:41 AM
WIERD:eek:

craigsahibee
19-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Liked her commentary. Not too much to beat anyway.

Spot on. Descriptive yet concise commentary. A nice change I thought. Compared to the others at 10, ie Quartermain, Lane & Christian, Kellie is already streets ahead of them in my opinion.

hujsh
19-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Didn't watch but I like the BT style of LOUD LOUD EXCITING THINGS HAPPENING which would almost be disturbing if a woman could replicate.

G-Mo77
19-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Didn't watch but I like the BT style of LOUD LOUD EXCITING THINGS HAPPENING which would almost be disturbing if a woman could replicate.

I'm the opposite, I'd rather listen to a call that is precise and understandable. What I heard of it she did a good job. A lot better than some of the other commentators on Channel 10 or 7.

BornInDroopSt'54
19-07-2009, 01:40 PM
I was interested when she sex or gender came into her commentary. She made a comment about a player that I missed but one of the male commentators (Christian?) turned it into a female commenting on a males looks and she assured him he, the commentator also looked OK, or something like that. That tension of a female 'caught' in a male world (or vica versa) can be amusing.
Her voice seemed strained to me, I didn't like the sound of it, this could be because I'm not used to hearing a woman calling the football but would be happy to get used to it. I don't like Luke Darcy commentating on the netball. I thought her comments were two dimensional, wothout wit or insight, just saying what I could see for myself. Soccer commentators are better, they let the play happen and the spectator observe with minimal input. Brevity is the soul of wit.

The Pie Man
19-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Not a fan, still not sure if it's her voice or it just being woman's voice that I find disconcerting about it

Best mates wife (intelligent girl, left wing and a teacher) also commented that it didn't sound right - I thought I'd point out she is progressive given the situation.

I'll repeat my earlier sentiment that she clearly knows the game and players well, so I wish her well - I imagine the visually impaired amongst us would much prefer her call than Rex Hunt's. Perhaps I just need to get used to it/her

Sockeye Salmon
19-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Not a fan, still not sure if it's her voice or it just being woman's voice that I find disconcerting about it

Best mates wife (intelligent girl, left wing and a teacher) also commented that it didn't sound right - I thought I'd point out she is progressive given the situation.

I'll repeat my earlier sentiment that she clearly knows the game and players well, so I wish her well - I imagine the visually impaired amongst us would much prefer her call than Rex Hunt's. Perhaps I just need to get used to it/her

Tautology.

AndrewP6
19-07-2009, 07:04 PM
As I've stated, I'm not a fan of Underwood's work...but I'd rather listen to her voice than that of Fox Sports reporter Pablo Faggiano...god, his voice is terrible

LostDoggy
19-07-2009, 08:22 PM
I think the reason why people dont like it is cause we arnt used to it..

AndrewP6
19-07-2009, 08:30 PM

Positive thinking, but I'd rather not get used to her...

LostDoggy
19-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Hi, thanks for having me on the forum.

I thought her commentary sucked, but in saying that I think they all suck. I would automatically put her above Dwayne Russell, who sounds like the blind pressing of buttons on a soundboard. The solution? The mute button.

The Adelaide Connection
19-07-2009, 09:12 PM

I don't agree here. As I mentioned, I think certain voices work for radio/tv and some others don't. I don't think channel 10 have got it wrong trialling females, just think they have got the wrong one for commentary (even though she is clearly very knowledgeable).

That said I agree that they don't always get it right with the males either. Oh and that Foxsports bloke, my god, he sounds like he is reading (badly) from the teleprompter. I hate hearing him tdo the premier league highlights. Cringe.

The Pie Man
19-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Tautology.

Big shock I know ;) I don't believe she's a 'teacher preacher' though

I normally wouldn't mention anything like that on here, I just thought it relevant when discussing a woman commentator.

Oh and I had to look that up too, I've just learnt something today :)

AndrewP6
19-07-2009, 09:46 PM
I don't agree here. As I mentioned, I think certain voices work for radio/tv and some others don't. I don't think channel 10 have got it wrong trialling females, just think they have got the wrong one for commentary (even though she is clearly very knowledgeable).

That said I agree that they don't always get it right with the males either. Oh and that Foxsports bloke, my god, he sounds like he is reading (badly) from the teleprompter. I hate hearing him tdo the premier league highlights. Cringe.

Pablo Faggiano? Ridiculous isn't he?

AndrewP6
19-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Hi, thanks for having me on the forum.

I thought her commentary sucked, but in saying that I think they all suck. I would automatically put her above Dwayne Russell, who sounds like the blind pressing of buttons on a soundboard. The solution? The mute button.

Welcome, Ziggy!

The Adelaide Connection
19-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Pablo Faggiano? Ridiculous isn't he?

Yep that's the one. He must know someone in high places because there is no fluency in the way he talks which must be the first thing they look at in a reporter.

LostDoggy
19-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Welcome, Ziggy!

Thanking you!

Desipura
20-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanking you!
When I used to work in the construction industry, we had a sub contractor on our books who's business name was Ziggy Bobcats for memory.

Mofra
20-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Heard a bit of her calling - I think she needs a few more games to really get the swing of it. She calls fine but there is a bit of a lack of passion - it's why I like guys like BT callling, for all his detractors he makes even a boring game seem interesting.

LostDoggy
20-07-2009, 10:56 AM
I don't think she was to bad - good on her really. But I have to admin it was pretty wierd and a little off putting. It will only be a matter of time before we would get used to it.