PDA

View Full Version : Ruling creates doubt

LostDoggy
26-02-2009, 04:44 AM
Ruling creates doubt

Nick Sheridan and Andrea Petrie | February 21, 2009

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/ruling-creates-doubt/2009/02/20/1234633066872.html

THE AFL may have to rewrite its rules concerning the bump and what constitutes rough conduct to eliminate any confusion for players in the wake of the Nick Maxwell verdict, former Bulldogs champion and member of the AFL's laws of the game committee, Luke Darcy, said yesterday.

Darcy said he would not like the events of the past fortnight to affect the way players behave on the field.

"I think it always takes a certain amount of courage to walk across the white line and play AFL — there's always a chance that … you're going to get met with some physical contact and some physical force, so I hope that we don't get to a position where players are second-guessing themselves about actually making that contact," he said.

"I think it's a part of the game that we've really got to protect. It's 100 per cent played on instinct and I think from a playing point of view you need to understand what is legal and what isn't legal. It's got to be as black and white as that.

"If there is doubt, and players are in doubt, then I, for one, am in favour of trying to find a way that makes it as simple and as clear as possible."

Sydney coach Paul Roos yesterday contacted AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson to clarify the rule in the wake of the Appeals Board's finding.

Roos said the finding was different to his understanding of the rules and, indeed, the instructions he gave his players.

"My understanding was that … if you go past the ball, and if you choose to bump, there's a duty of care. I just felt that was black and white," Roos said.

After speaking with Anderson, Roos said that this was the way the rule should be understood, for this weekend at least.

"All coaches should just operate on the same basis this weekend as they have this season — and the season before — and that is to instruct their players it's OK to bump, but if you've got an option to go for the ball or to tackle and you choose to bump, then avoid damaging your opponent's head or neck," Anderson said.

"There should be no confusion among the players because the position hasn't changed."

However, former Collingwood captain Nathan Buckley said there was still confusion.

"Unfortunately, I think more questions have been asked than have been answered by the (Maxwell) finding." he said.

LostDoggy
27-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Of course there's doubt and confusion.

It's what happens when there is one set of laws for the "high and mighty", and a different set of laws for everyone else.

Oh, also when 'laws' are applied not according to the objective facts of a case but according to every irrelevant subtext and subjective influence possible (commentator's views, media and public outcry, past players' views, personal agendas, wanting to 'set an example' etc. etc.)

If it weren't for the Dogs I don't know what I would... ; AFL holds less and less interest for me every year.

Sockeye Salmon
27-02-2009, 02:45 PM
If it weren't for the Dogs I don't know what I would... ; AFL holds less and less interest for me every year.

I've been thinking exactly the same thing.

I find it next to impossible to watch a game that the Dogs aren't involved in.

aker39
27-02-2009, 03:37 PM

I have a brother who is forever saying that he wants the bulldogs to win a premiership, and then he won't go to another game of AFL, he'll just spend the rest of his time watching the DVD over and over again. He's feed up with AFL and has lost all interest.

LostDoggy
27-02-2009, 03:52 PM

I've already said the same.

Sockeye Salmon
27-02-2009, 10:09 PM
I have a brother who is forever saying that he wants the bulldogs to win a premiership, and then he won't go to another game of AFL, he'll just spend the rest of his time watching the DVD over and over again. He's feed up with AFL and has lost all interest.

That's where I'm at, except that if the game was as bad as all of those I've seen so far this year I wouldn't bother watching it again.

Mantis
27-02-2009, 10:19 PM
That's where I'm at, except that if the game was as bad as all of those I've seen so far this year I wouldn't bother watching it again.

Just get really, really drunk with the thought that we won the greatest ever GF. Burn all evidence that there was such a game and take up golf with the young fella (he might be old by then).