PDA

View Full Version : Henry White?

Before I Die
01-03-2009, 12:42 PM
The focus of the pre-season for most fans is to get a look at the new and developing players. Quite a bit has been posted about all the new players that have had a run at senior level this pre-season, except for Henry White. He played against Essendon and he played against St Kilda though in both cases it was only really the last quarter. In both games he had only minimal touches, but I felt that what he did, he did very well. He collected the ball in traffic and he also made good position to receive a handball. Each time he had the ball he showed genuine pace to break away from the play and he delivered well. Now I am only talking about two passages of play against Essendon and one against St Kilda, but I thought he showed enough in minimal game time to warrant comment and I have done so in other threads. So far no other poster has added anything about White so I thought I would ask the questions.
Am I delusional? Did anyone else notice him in the games? Do you think he has a future?
I thnk (hope) he could be the one who takes over from Eagleton and Ray as a genuine ball carrier of pace with good delivery skills. If it helps to jog a few memories, he wears number 41.

Before I Die
01-03-2009, 02:10 PM
It has only been an hour and a half, but after 13 views and no replies, it appears I am delusional. Suggest "The Phantom" as a nickname for White as it seems nobody sees him, or perhaps I made a mistake cutting back on my medication.

Sockeye Salmon
01-03-2009, 02:18 PM
I'd like to see a whole lot more than 3 passages of play before I make any kind of comment on a player.

***Disclaimer***

Obviously this didn't apply to Patrick Wiggins. He looked like a gumby running down the race.

Before I Die
01-03-2009, 02:39 PM
I'd like to see a whole lot more than 3 passages of play before I make any kind of comment on a player.

Agreed, that is why I have the question mark in the post title. I was hoping for comment from people who saw the same passages of play and feel my optimism is either justified or unjustified and comments from Williamstown watchers who can shed more light on him. I think we have only played three rookies so far this pre-season, Picken, White and Daniels, with only Picken and White playing in both games. Picken is obviously seen as a ready made player and was drafted as such. White's reason for seletion is much less clear. Do the coaching staff see something? Is he being rewarded for a good pre-season? Is he the only other rookie who is match fit?

He simply caught my eye, but I guess the answer to the second question in my opening post is no.

GVGjr
01-03-2009, 03:05 PM
I saw him play a lot last year for Williamstown where he was basically parked in the reserves for the whole season before forcing his way into the senior side for a couple of games. It's way too early to make a definitive call but I probably think he will struggle to be elevated onto the senior list. He's added a bit of size in the last 12 months, he had to, but his skill level isn't quite good enough at the moment.

When compared to the other rookies, he is obviously behind Picken but he would be ahead of Jameson. The two big ruckman in Mulligan and Shaw have had interrupted pre-seasons and because they play in different positions it wouldn't be a good comparison

He will need a bit of luck but he seems to display the right attitude and work ethic.

ledge
01-03-2009, 03:07 PM
I would say they see something, he could be another who just goes about his game with no real fanfare and ends up playing 150 games.
Must say i havent taken much notice of him and neither have others, i take that as a good sign as he isnt getting rubbished at all.

Go_Dogs
01-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Thought he looked ok against the Bombers - only time I have seen him in action. Looks to have good pace, got to a few good spots, but at other times looked a bit lost.

Obviously pretty hard to make an assessment off one qtr of footy, but from what I saw he is worth persisting with at this stage. Needs a big year, and still needs a few more kgs to have a really good crack at it.

Everything I have heard attitude wise has been very positive.

alwaysadog
01-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Must be doing something right on top of what we have seen. Not going to be one of your sudden surprises but as you say has some things going for him and seems prepared to do the hard stuff on the track and in games.

Too early to make a call on him, but he will have learnt heaps from the senior exposure and it won't have hurt his sense of pride in what he is doing. This season with Willie is the critical one, he must be an improving regular in the firsts to have any hope.

Dancin' Douggy
01-03-2009, 10:31 PM

***Disclaimer***

Obviously this didn't apply to Patrick Wiggins. He looked like a gumby running down the race.

He looked awful on the massage table.

Cyberdoggie
02-03-2009, 10:45 AM
He's got pace, that's pretty much all i can be sure of at the moment.

Henry needs to improve in the physical side of football and as mentioned in the skills.
If he can improve on those then his aim will be to have an impact at Williamstown seniors.

There's certainly some things to like about him, and he's bulked up enough over the pre-season to give himself good chance to impress. I look forward to seeing how he goes this year.

Bulldog Revolution
04-03-2009, 11:11 AM
He seems to have a bit of line breaking ability but its really hard to evaluate at this stage

Needs to have a good year with Willy

always right
04-03-2009, 12:42 PM
A reasonable expextation would be to regularly play Willi seniors this year. He's only had one pre-season to put on some size and appears to have done so. Due to his underdeveloped build when recruited, I expect the club would give him one more pre-season on the weights before deciding what to do with him. That means he is likely to remain on our list til the end of the 2010 season.

The little I have seen of him this year suggests he has pace and is not afraid to go for the hard ball despite his frame. Give him time.

Go_Dogs
28-09-2009, 10:26 AM
So, where to for Henry?

From most reports he finished the season very well down at Williamstown. This is his second year on the rookie list, so either we need to re-rookie him (and hope no one else can snag him before we can), upgrade him or move him on.

Where do you guys see him at, and in particular the Willy watchers?

mighty_west
28-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I must admit i haven't seen him as much as alot of posters on this site, but from what i have, he just doesn't seem to get involved in a game enough, he looks ok at times, but i'd be suprised if he was kept on.

Cyberdoggie
28-09-2009, 11:31 AM
For Henry and some of the other rookies that have been on the list for 2 seasons, it may well come down to draft day and the rookie draft. It has been said that the talent pool is thin this year so it may be a better option to keep some of these players instead of what is available at the time.

GVGjr
28-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I'd like to see him re-rookied if we could. He probably hasn't quite done enough to earn a promotion but he did make a lot of progress through the season.
My concern on White is that he isn't a speedster nor does he have great skills,. He's a decent all-round player but most players need that one skill or attribute to get themselves onto a senior list and White just misses out at the moment. If he could be re-rookied it would be a good outcome I think.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2009, 06:53 PM
I'd like to see him re-rookied if we could. He probably hasn't quite done enough to earn a promotion but he did make a lot of progress through the season.
My concern on White is that he isn't a speedster nor does he have great skills,. He's a decent all-round player but most players need that one skill or attribute to get themselves onto a senior list and White just misses out at the moment. If he could be re-rookied it would be a good outcome I think.
Damien McCormick Mk2?

GVGjr
28-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Damien McCormick Mk2?

I'm not sure that McCormack ever improved as much as White did.
White could develop into a decent HBF or even a winger but did miss a lot of footy in his first season. He always gives 100% effort and that's why I wouldn't mind seeing him maintained.

EasternWest
28-09-2009, 07:22 PM
White could develop into a decent HBF or even a winger but did miss a lot of footy in his first season. He always gives 100% effort and that's why I wouldn't mind seeing him maintained.

Reason enough to re-rookie him if nothing jumps up to take his spot.

bulldogtragic
28-09-2009, 07:35 PM
At what round would you re-rookie him?

Mantis
28-09-2009, 07:39 PM

Much like Callan & Addison, but as with with them he struggles with his decision making & skill execution. Can we afford to carry 3 players who are similiar in many ways?

Go_Dogs
28-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Much like Callan & Addison, but as with with them he struggles with his decision making & skill execution. Can we afford to carry 3 players who are similiar in many ways?

With Addison and White they are just kids still who have a large scope for improvement. White is probably slightly different to the other guys you have mentioned, and given our lack of outside running power, is a type I think we need.

GVGjr
28-09-2009, 07:42 PM
At what round would you re-rookie him?

You would roll the dice and take him with a late pick.

GVGjr
28-09-2009, 07:44 PM

Cross Boyd and Reid in the midfield have similar qualities.
I'm suggesting that White be re-rookied not added to the senior list just to see if he can keep improving. If he can't then we haven't lost much.

Cyberdoggie
29-09-2009, 03:16 PM
As GVGjr said on a previous thread, he's a good all-rounder.
I'm not so sure that will get you into the AFL though.

We have had a couple of examples of players that you could consider "good all-rounders" that have managed to make it though. Boyd and Cross being great examples. You could also say that these guys 1 skill that sets them apart from others is their work ethic. Also helps that they are ball magnets. Does White have this desire to make it?

White worries me because he can have games where he does absolutely nothing. You wouldn't even know that he was out on the field, and others where he has dominated at reserves level.

Another point to make is that when we picked him up his body was very raw. In his first season he was under 70kg's. He has put on a bit of size this year but you could easily say that we haven't seen the best of him yet.

It will come down to a list management decision. Daniels will stay, Shaw will go, and i doubt we will keep both Mulligan and White again on the rookie list.

Mitcha
29-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Henry White cannot be re-rookied as he has already spent the maximum 2 years on our rookie list. He either has to be elevated to the senior list or cut. For those of you wanting him to be elevated I ask one question, where would he play at AFL level as his skills are average at best and he struggles to make an impact at VFL reserves level let alone senior level. For mine Daniels re-rookied, Mulligan upgraded, Picken obviously upgraded, Shaw cut, White cut, Ogle cut.

Rocco Jones
29-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Henry White cannot be re-rookied as he has already spent the maximum 2 years on our rookie list. He either has to be elevated to the senior list or cut.

We can re-rookie him but we would have to delist him and re-draft him in the rookie draft.

GVGjr
29-09-2009, 07:08 PM
We can re-rookie him but we would have to delist him and re-draft him in the rookie draft.

From my understanding that is correct. He has to go into the draft again and someone else could nab him.