PDA

View Full Version : Deadly pain of defeat

aker39
02-03-2009, 09:28 AM
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,25123871-11088,00.html

Footy fans lament
March 02, 2009 12:00am

A BIG football loss can be like dealing with death for fans, research has found.

The worst were those where victory was expected, such as the Western Bulldogs' 1997 preliminary final loss to come-from-behind Adelaide.

One fan even likened memories of that game to a war.

"It was 'impossible for us to play at the G without getting horrible flashbacks . . . similar to Vietnam veterans to low flying choppers'," he said.

For Collingwood fans it was their Grand Final losses, including 1977, 1979, 1980, 1981, 2002 and 2003, and for Essendon fans their 1999 preliminary final loss to Carlton after leading by seven goals.

The more likely a team was to win, the more crushing the defeat.

Victoria University sports studies lecturer Dr Matthew Klugman interviewed 20 footy fans about losing for the paper, Australian Football, Tragedies and the Question of Catharsis.

He said some losses could be "seriously perturbing, somehow more 'like a death' than the loss of 'a mere football match'.

"They are shocking in a manner that cannot be articulated, and lead to substantial suffering likened to that occasioned by a death.

"For many Bulldog followers, what happened (in 1997) couldn't be put into words.

``Their shock and bewilderment were expressed instead by silence, tears and other physical manifestations of considerable unease.

"A normally 'mild-mannered public servant', who never expressed anger, tried to 'get out and kill' a celebrating Crows supporter who was yelling and banging on his car."

In the paper, Collingwood fan Nadia found the Magpies' 2003 Grand Final loss to Brisbane to be like a death.

She couldn't sleep and huddled in bed, freezing, with a hot water bottle.

"A combination of faith and signs that the faith would be realised had established the conditions for a defeat that would later be read as tragic," Dr Klugman found.

The study found that no matter how bad the loss, some fans could not resist reliving it.

"They often want, in the months and years that follow, to annihilate the memory of the hideous defeat, but many seem unable to stop talking about it," it said.

Although the trauma was never fully released, Dr Klugman found fans dealt with big losses by looking towards the next big win - not always a good plan.

"It can occasion the presumptive certain belief that sets the conditions once again for another shocking loss," he found.

On the plus side, Dr Klugman said winning was even sweeter if your team had a bad record.

The Coon Dog
02-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Onya Matt, I never knew you were a Dr.

always right
02-03-2009, 05:10 PM
It's true. Whilst you should never overstate the importance of football in life, the reality is I have never expereinced despair as I did that devestating day in 1997. I don't think I will ever get over it until we win the big one. I suspect I am typical of other bulldogs supporters.

bornadog
02-03-2009, 05:30 PM
It's true. Whilst you should never overstate the importance of football in life, the reality is I have never expereinced despair as I did that devestating day in 1997. I don't think I will ever get over it until we win the big one. I suspect I am typical of other bulldogs supporters.

I feel like that everytime we lose:D

LostDoggy
02-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Must we keep getting reminded of 1997. Remember the end of the game when Bubba was punching the G? I will never forget that!

Desipura
03-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Never have and never will I watch a replay of THAT game! Coincedentally I suffered a similar reoccurence of that pain a few months later when Australia lost to Iran at the MCG in the world cup qualifier.

aker39
03-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Never have and never will I watch a replay of THAT game! Coincedentally I suffered a similar reoccurence of that pain a few months later when Australia lost to Iran at the MCG in the world cup qualifier.

I also had the displeasure of being at both of those games.

Just like bulldog supporters were talking about getting their GF tickets at 3/4 time, at 1/2 time of the soccer my mate was talking about going to the travel agent the next day to book his flights to France.

:(:(:(:(:

Good interview on the radio this morning Raw Toast.

KT31
04-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Like the rest of the Woofers I can relate to this tory.
When you have someone pass away at least you have some fond memories.
1997 crushed most of us and left us with no fond memories.

KT31
04-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Like the rest of the Woofers I can relate to this story.
When you have someone pass away at least you have some fond memories.
1997 crushed most of us and left us with no fond memories.