PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs in no hurry with Williams, says Eade

The Coon Dog
04-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Bulldogs in no hurry with Williams, says Eade (http://afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/72849/default.aspx)

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/WesternBulldogs/Will_train246x316a.jpg
Bulldogs key defender Tom Williams

ADAM Cooney will return for the Western Bulldogs this weekend but Tom Williams won’t – and is unlikely to figure in round one – according to coach Rodney Eade.

While Cooney’s return against the Sydney Swans at Rouse Hill on Saturday was the good news for the Bulldogs, Eade said the club would continue to take a cautious approach with key defender Williams, who is overcoming an ankle injury.

The big man did train during Wednesday morning’s session at Whitten Oval but did his own work away from the main group.

Eade said the 22-year-old, who has managed 19 matches in four seasons at the club, would not be rushed.

“He technically could play this week but we’re not going to play him,” Eade said.

“We’re going to err on the side of being conservative. He won’t play round one with us, he’ll play with Williamstown, but he’ll be back next week.

“We’ll play him in NAB [Challenge, week] four, then he’ll play a couple of games at Willy and hopefully he’ll play with us in round two.”

The Bulldogs won’t send their strongest line-up north, despite Cooney’s inclusion.

Midfield quartet Matthew Boyd, Daniel Giansiracusa, Nathan Eagleton and Daniel Cross will all skip the clash, although none are carrying injuries of concern.

Cross did leave Wednesday’s session to walk laps, but the coach dismissed his ballwinner’s ailment as minor.

“If it was for four points he’d play this week; he’s just got a bit of a tight back,” Eade said.

“With the flight, and where we’re staying in Sydney it’s an hour-and-a-half bus trip, and then the flight back, so he won’t play this week.”

Eade said Lindsay Gilbee, who fainted at half-time during last week’s NAB Challenge loss against St Kilda, was fine and would play.

Jason Akermanis, Robert Murphy, Mitch Hahn and Scott Welsh will also back up after playing against the Saints.

While the performance of those players will be closely monitored, all eyes are likely to be on Cooney, with the 2008 Brownlow medallist likely to play around 40 minutes of the match against the Swans.

“We’re not expecting any quality football [from him] but it’s just a matter of him getting out there and him getting used to match conditions,” Eade said of Cooney’s return from knee surgery and groin soreness.

LostDoggy
04-03-2009, 08:36 PM
I just want this guy to play one season, injury free.

He has got the talent, we can all see that. I have a funny feeling that he is going to be one of these players, that continually gets injured.

I pray that he isn't.

GVGjr
04-03-2009, 09:11 PM
I'll give the club a bit of credit for actually giving us the news straight this time. Too often they say he will play next week but then he doesn't.

The "we will not rush him" theme is one that is rolled out too often though.

We know we need to be patient with Williams and we know he is exactly the sort of big bodied player we need. I'll bet though that his ankle is a bit worse than being reported and we might have to wait until round 4 to see him in the RWB.

mighty_west
05-03-2009, 12:24 PM
I'll give the club a bit of credit for actually giving us the news straight this time. Too often they say he will play next week but then he doesn't.

The "we will not rush him" theme is one that is rolled out too often though.

We know we need to be patient with Williams and we know he is exactly the sort of big bodied player we need. I'll bet though that his ankle is a bit worse than being reported and we might have to wait until round 4 to see him in the RWB.

You have to feel for Tom, he'd be sick to death of having some kind of injury.

I'm not too sure what else the club can say than "we will not rush him", in most cases the club itself wouldn't exactly know when he'd be ready to play, similar i guess to Scotty West last year, at first it was seen as something minor, but one of those injuries i guess that you just can't get right.

But we all know what you mean about he'll most likely be ready later rather than sooner, the guy just can't take a trick, it's even come down to as a supporter, that you almost hold your breath when he goes near the ball in case he doesn't do something, always thinking the worst.

LostDoggy
05-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Sounds like we're gunna have some trouble with our first few rounds..

With interrupted pre seasons from Aker, Cooney, Hahn, Welsh, Williams, Murphy..

And we're travelling to Perth twice in the first month aswell as playing our 2 'Bogey' teams in North Melbourne & Richmond..We could be 0-4 or 1-3..boy I hope not :|

Desipura
05-03-2009, 03:50 PM

And we're travelling to Perth twice in the first month aswell as playing our 2 'Bogey' teams in North Melbourne & Richmond..We could be 0-4 or 1-3..boy I hope not :|
Footy is a funny game. Who knows.....someone like Grant could come in and kick 6 goals and win us a game.

always right
05-03-2009, 05:37 PM

Since when did Richmond become our bogey team? North Melbourne I concede.

mighty_west
05-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Who's the say that other teams don't have a dozen or so players underdone come round 1?

Besides, didn't Sydney lose their first four games and win a Premiership?

hujsh
05-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Who's the say that other teams don't have a dozen or so players underdone come round 1?

Besides, didn't Sydney lose their first four games and win a Premiership?

It wasn't that bad. They were about 4-4 when Demitriou said they were crap to watch.

Desipura
11-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Did anyone watch the Essendon v Collingwood NAB cup game last week? That guy John Williams rook some hangers and kicked a few goals. He looked ok. As some of you may or may not be aware, he is Tommy's brother.

BulldogBelle
11-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Did anyone watch the Essendon v Collingwood NAB cup game last week? That guy John Williams rook some hangers and kicked a few goals. He looked ok. As some of you may or may not be aware, he is Tommy's brother.

Never heard that John was Tommy's brother

The below article doesnt mention it

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-4711-0-0-0&sID=56333&articleID=6388768&news_task=DETAIL

Tom's old man was a rugby player, John Williams comes from an AFL family

The Coon Dog
12-03-2009, 07:49 AM

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-4711-0-0-0&sID=56333&articleID=6388768&news_task=DETAIL

Pre Season Draft Selections

1: J.Williams - Morningside QLD

Ht:187 cm Wt: 82.5kg
Junior position – Wing
AFL position – Wing/utility
Williams was the big surprise invite to draft camp from Queensland. He missed the Champs this year with a dislocated shoulder but had a blinder for the under 21s in June. He plays on the wing and is a fast developing player who has obviously caught the eye of scouts with a number of high quality games in the AFLQ. He is very new to the game only seriously taking up the game this year after playing soccer, athletics and cricket at school. He started the year in the reserves but has come on in leaps and bounds. He was fourth in the AFLQ Rising Star this year. Is the brother of Tom Williams.
Strengths: Good agility and endurance. Comes from good sporting stock.
Weaknesses: Skills can be poor under pressure.
Question marks: Will clubs be tempted by another project player? Will he be able to hone his skills to AFL standard.
Draft Prediction: Rookie/undrafted

Source (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=401993)

Desipura
12-03-2009, 09:45 AM

With all due respect Doghouse, I generally don't make a statement like the above unless I know for a fact.