PDA

View Full Version : First round side prediction

LostDoggy
09-03-2009, 09:45 PM
I had a quick search and couldn't find anything but how do you see the team lining up for the first game against Freo?
Mine would look something like

Backs
Callan - Lake - Morris - Gilbee - Hargrave - Griffen

Midfield
Hudson - Cooney - Cross - Boyd - Hill - Giansiracusa

Forwards
Johnson - Skipper - Akermanis - Hahn - Murphy - Higgins

Interchange
Everitt - Minson - Harbrow - Ward

Emergencies
Addison - Tiller - Eagleton

Skipper would be the contentious selection but I think we need a tall target and someone who can do some ruck work in the forward line.

Dry Rot
09-03-2009, 09:57 PM
No love for Welsh?

The Coon Dog
09-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Back 6
Tim Callan
Brian Lake
Dale Morris
Lindsay Gilbee
Andrejs Everitt
Ryan Hargrave

Forward 6
Jason Akermanis
Robert Murphy
Adam Cooney
Brad Johnson
Will Minson
Jarrod Harbrow

Midfield 6
Ben Hudson
Matthew Boyd
Shaun Higgins
Daniel Cross
Ryan Griffen
Daniel Giansiracusa

Interchange/Emergencies 7
Josh Hill
Dylan Addison
Brennan Stack
Scott Welsh
Mitch Hahn
Nathan Eagleton
Callan Ward

GVGjr
09-03-2009, 10:00 PM
No love for Welsh?

Is he fit enough to play? If so he would be right in the mix.

Dry Rot
09-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Is he fit enough to play? If so he would be right in the mix.

Probably as fit or underdone as Murphy, Cooney and Hahn.

LostDoggy
09-03-2009, 10:22 PM
Given that I havent seen any of the training / practice games - this is really a stab in the dark.....

FB: Callan / Lake / Morris
HB: Gilbee / Hargrave / Tiller
C: Ward / Cross / Giansiracusa
HF: Grant / Hahn / Johnson
FF: Akermanis / Minson / Welsh
Rucks: Hudson / Griffen / Boyd

Int: Harbrow / Higgins / Addison / Eagleton
Emg: Hill / Everitt / Stack

Not considered - Cooney / Murphy / Williams

* Tiller to hopefully keep up his confidence from the last final from Geelong.....!
* Grant to get a run - why not, he has the talent and he needs to play in the top level.

Sockeye Salmon
09-03-2009, 10:29 PM
It's sad - and entirely appropriate - that no-one has bothered with positions.

Backs: Callan, Lake, Morris, Gilbee, Everitt, Hargrave
Midfield: Hudson, Cooney, Griffen, Cross, Boyd, Ward
Forwards: Higgins, Murphy, Hahn, Akermanis, Johnson, Minson
Interchange: Giansiracusa, Addison, Harbrow, Eagleton.

Emerg: Welsh, Hill, Lynch.

Williams is the only player I left out due to injury. Eagleton got a reprive, he could easily have missed out.

LostDoggy
10-03-2009, 12:51 PM
^^^

I think ur spot on there Sockeye but Welsh emergency? Dont see any reason why he wouldnt be in..is he injured? Id swap him for Harbrow

always right
10-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Is this what you would like to see or what you think the line-up will look like?

Having not seen too much of the boys pre-season, I'm going off media reports and posters on this forum.

This week's final practiice game will be critical for some on the borderline of selection and regulars who are coming back from injury. The two big unknowns are Cooney and Murphy. If they get through the last practice game, then they're probably in although reports suggest Cooney is the most likely to miss the first round.

Backs: Callan, Lake, Tiller, Gilbee, Morris, Hargrave
Onball: Hudson, Griffen, Higgins, Boyd, Cross, Gia, Eagleton
Forwards: Aker, Hahn, Murphy, Harbrow, Minson, Johnno
I/C: Welsh, Hill, Everitt, Addison

Hill, Addison and Ward fighting it out for the last two spots. Just have the feeling that Ward hasn't set the world on fire pe-season. Big game against Melbourne this weekend for him.

LostDoggy
10-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Backs: Callan, Lake, Gilbee, Morris, Hargrave, Everitt
Mids: Hudson, Cooney, Griffen, Higgins, Boyd, Cross
Forwards: Aker, Hahn, Murph, Welsh, Minson, Johnson
I/C: Gia, Addison, Hill, Harbrow/Ward

Emerg: Eagleton, Tiller, Harbrow/Ward

Eagleton can't possibly in the side ahead of Hill, Ward, Addison or Harbrow.

Harbrow/Ward toss up - Ward (with Addison) to provide more midfield cover for Griffen, Cooney and Higgins to rest up forward, but Rocket loves Harbrow's forward pressure - I would choose Ward personally, but I feel Rocket will go with Jarrod. Both will (should) be in the side ahead of Eagleton if Cooney doesn't play.

Smokey: Cordy/Grant as emergency for some nice pre-season form and because Rocket likes to throw a name or two in the emergencies as a bit of a carrot, and would be the only real tall options on emergency list.

bulldog
10-03-2009, 07:48 PM
B:Callan Lake Morris
Hb:Gilbee Hargrave Tiller
C:Giansiracusa Boyd Cross
Hf:Akermanis Murphy Hahn
F:Higgins Minson Johnson
R:Hudson Griffen Cooney
I/c:Hill Addison Welsh Ward

mjp
11-03-2009, 01:33 AM
It's sad - and entirely appropriate - that no-one has bothered with positions.

Yes, but it is confusing the *&^%*&* out of me so can we please name them in the 'traditional' way.

Bulldog Revolution
11-03-2009, 08:50 AM

Harbrow/Ward toss up - Ward (with Addison) to provide more midfield cover for Griffen, Cooney and Higgins to rest up forward.

Its hardly resting up forward these days is it

I'd say Harbrows been better than Ward in the preseason but his decision making has been a concern - he's often trying to do too much with the ball

I doubt they'll take both Murphy and Cooney to Perth after little preparation

always right
11-03-2009, 09:29 AM

Harbrow/Ward toss up - Ward (with Addison) to provide more midfield cover for Griffen, Cooney and Higgins to rest up forward, but Rocket loves Harbrow's forward pressure - I would choose Ward personally, but I feel Rocket will go with Jarrod. Both will (should) be in the side ahead of Eagleton if Cooney doesn't play.

Smokey: Cordy/Grant as emergency for some nice pre-season form and because Rocket likes to throw a name or two in the emergencies as a bit of a carrot, and would be the only real tall options on emergency list.

As to you would like to play and who will actually play...they are two different things. You can mark Eagleton in as a certainty for round one. Rocket will be looking for his run on the wide expanses of Subiaco.

becmatty
11-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Welsh will play. Eagleton has been solid in pre-season and is a certainty. Harbrow offers a hard nut edge that I think we'll need. Williams is the only forced absence. Everitt the fortunate beneficiary and must make it count...

B: Morris Lake Callan
HB: Griffen Hargreave Gilbee
C: Hill Boyd Higgins
HF: Murphy Hahn Giansiracusa
F: Akermanis Welsh Johnson
Foll: Hudson Cooney Cross
Int: Minson Eagleton Harbrow Everitt
Emerg: Addison Ward Tiller

Go_Dogs
11-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Morris, Lake, Tiller
Callan, Hargrave, Gilbee
Cross, Boyd, Higgins
Giansiracusa, Hahn, Murphy
Akermanis, Minson, Johnson
Hudson, Griffen, Cooney
Welsh, Ward, Addison, Eagleton

Just can't find room for Everitt as I haven't seen any of him this pre-season. By most reports is a pretty good chance though. Not sure who would be the unlucky one, perhaps Tiller - but I'm hopeful he'll get a game.

Ozza
11-03-2009, 11:58 AM
B: Callan; Lake; Gilbee
HB: Hargrave; Morris; Addison (Assuming Williams is not ready, and Morris will play on Pav)
C: Griffen; Cross; Boyd
HF: Murphy; Hahn; Hill
F: Aker; Johnson; Harbrow
R: Hudson; Cooney; Higgins
Int: Giansiracusa; Welsh; Minson; J.Grant

Emerg: Eagleton; Everitt; Ward (in if Cooney unfit)

Left out: Wight, Skipper, Tiller, Picken; Reid; Stack; Wood; Cordy; Roughead; Williams (inj); Lynch; Jones; Mulligan; O'Keefe; O'Shea and any other kids I can't remember

bornadog
12-03-2009, 07:56 PM
B: Callan; Lake; Gilbee
HB: Hargrave; Morris; Addison (Assuming Williams is not ready, and Morris will play on Pav)
C: Griffen; Cross; Boyd
HF: Murphy; Hahn; Hill
F: Aker; Johnson; Harbrow
R: Hudson; Cooney; Higgins
Int: Giansiracusa; Welsh; Minson; J.Grant

Emerg: Eagleton; Everitt; Ward (in if Cooney unfit)

Left out: Wight, Skipper, Tiller, Picken; Reid; Stack; Wood; Cordy; Roughead; Williams (inj); Lynch; Jones; Mulligan; O'Keefe; O'Shea and any other kids I can't remember

I like your team as the most likely, but don't know if Grant will get a game first up. I would say Eagleton will be in and Grant out.

dogman
12-03-2009, 08:09 PM
I like your team as the most likely, but don't know if Grant will get a game first up. I would say Eagleton will be in and Grant out.

He hasn't been named in this weeks squad, so it seems unlikely.

G-Mo77
12-03-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm a bit out of touch with injuries and pre-season form.

B: Callan, Lake, Gilbee
HB: Morris, Hargrave, Tiller
C: Eagleton, Boyd, Cross
HF: Welsh, Hahn, Murphy
F: Higgins, Johnson, Aker
R: Hudson, Cooney, Griffen
I/C: Gia, Addison, Harbrow, Minson
Emerg: Everitt, Ward, Hill

It would not surprise me that one or more of Hahn, Murhphy Cooney or Aker miss this first game.

Scorlibo
12-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Back - Morris - Lake - Addison
H Ba - Gilbee - Everitt - Hargrave
Cent - Higgins - Cross - Boyd
H Fo - Akermanis - Murphy - Giansiracusa
Forw - Johnson - Hahn - Welsh
Foll - Hudson - Cooney - Griffen
Int - Callan - Eagleton - Minson - Ward

The last spot in the team will be contested between 6 imo - Ward, Hill, Harbrow, Lynch, Stack and Grant. I think that either Ward or Hill will get the nod for their tanks with the smoky being Lynch.

Before I Die
13-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Back - Morris - Lake - Addison
H Ba - Gilbee - Tiller - Hargrave
Cent - Higgins - Cross - Boyd
H Fo - Akermanis - Murphy - Giansiracusa
Forw - Johnson - Minson - Welsh
Int - Hill- Eagleton - Hahn - Harbrow

I don't think Everitt has done anything during the pre-season to indicate he can hold down CHB yet, nor has he or Ward pushed themselves past players such as Eagleton or Hill. In a tough choice between Addison and Callan, Addison gets my nod.

Rocket Science
13-03-2009, 03:21 AM
I'll take a stab.

There's obviously pre-season form and injuries to consider but it might also be instructive to play the match-up game against our prospective opponents.

I don't profess intimate knowledge of the Dockers' ideal team structure, but here's a ballpark Freo lineup juxtaposed against our blokes in what strike me as vaguely logical match-ups.

B: T.Callan - B.Lake - D.Addison
F: S.Hill - K.Bradley - C.Hinkley

HB: L.Gilbee - D.Morris - R.Hargrave
HF: N.Suban - M.Pavlich - C.Tarrant

C: R.Griffen - M.Boyd - D.Cross
C: D.Mundy - P.Hasleby - G.Ibbotson

HF: J.Akermanis - R.Murphy - D.Giansiracusa
HB: B.Schammer - M.Johnson - S.Dodd

F: B.Johnson - W.Minson - S.Higgins
B: A.Grover - L.MacPharlin - R.Hayden

Foll: B.Hudson - M.Boyd - A.Cooney
Foll: A.Sandilands - R.Palmer - R.Crowley

Int: C.Ward - N.Eagleton - J.Harbrow - A.Everitt
Int: B.Peake - M.Drum - D.Gilmore - G.Broughton

While we've got underdone blokes who might be rested or have their game time curbed, Freo aren't without their own selection quandries...Injured/Underdone: D.Headland, H.Ballantyne, A.Campbell, P.Duffield, C.Pearce, C.Mayne, B.O'Brien, M.DeBoer...Suspended: D.Solomon

Smokies for inclusion are a number of kids pressing for consideration including G.Broughton and N.Suban, though it's tough to predict whether who if any of their kids might earn a gig, but they may not have much choice with their current medical list...Meanwhile another wildcard is that Harvey's been experimenting during the pre-season by switching Tarrant and Grover between their respective traditional roles, with Grover up forward and Tarrant down back, but should that eventuate it shouldn't factor heavily into how we set up.

Obvious caveats for us includes the the probable exclusion of Williams, and the possible exclusion of one or more of regulars Cooney, Murphy, Hahn, Welsh and Akermanis for player management reasons, bringing a number of fringe dwellers into the early mix.

Provided those regulars come up something resembling fit, I have a hunch we might go easy with Hahn and Welsh in the early going, providing cameos for Ward and Everitt to see what they've got at this point. One suspects Rocket wants to see both pressing for regular duty this year, but wouldn't stubbornly persist with them if they weren't cutting it at the expense of the team.

While arguments can be mounted that some of those selected haven't necessarily justified their spots over the pre-season, that could probably be said for more blokes than not.

That said, with Hahn and Welsh rested, Hill and Tiller remain perhaps the most obvious Round One exclusions amongst those with legit claims on a berth.

Amongst the more interesting match-up issues include the punt of Suban on Gilbee in a semi-stoppers role, whether Hasleby is ready to resume a key midfield post just yet, and how the Dockers' lack of genuine crumbing forwards sees them structure up and whether they contemplate throwing extra talls in Sandilands, MacPharlin and Johnson into attack to attempt to exploit our dearth of key defenders.

Mantis
13-03-2009, 08:58 AM
^^

I can't see both Hahn & Welsh not playing.

As far as your Freo match-ups go I am pretty sure that Grover has been playing up forward this pre-season, perhaps one of our WA posters can confirm?

Rocket Science
13-03-2009, 01:22 PM
^^I can't see both Hahn & Welsh not playing.

Perhaps not, it's just a leaning...none of us know who if any of our regulars might be rested. Should Welsh or Hahn make the trip, then I'd possibly omit Ward and retain Everitt for flexibility.

^^As far as your Freo match-ups go I am pretty sure that Grover has been playing up forward this pre-season, perhaps one of our WA posters can confirm?

Meanwhile another wildcard is that Harvey's been experimenting during the pre-season by switching Tarrant and Grover between their respective traditional roles, with Grover up forward and Tarrant down back, but should that eventuate it shouldn't factor heavily into how we set up.

Touched on that, but when it came time to assemble matchups there just seemed a more obvious and practical role for Grover down back. Not withstanding he could spend time at both ends.

bornadog
13-03-2009, 02:17 PM
He hasn't been named in this weeks squad, so it seems unlikely.

We are talking round one not this week

LostDoggy
13-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Backs: Callan, Lake, Gilbee, Morris, Williams, Hargrave
Forwards: Aker, Harbrow, Murph, Welsh, Minson, Johnson
I/C: Gia, Addison, Ward, Hahn

Dogs 24/7
14-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Backs: Callan, Lake, Gilbee, Morris, Williams, Hargrave
Forwards: Aker, Harbrow, Murph, Welsh, Minson, Johnson
I/C: Gia, Addison, Ward, Hahn

Like it but Williams would be doubtful.

Mantis
14-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Like it but Williams would be doubtful.

That's right, Tom is being aimed at rd 2.

Bumper Bulldogs
14-03-2009, 09:40 PM
That's right, Tom is being aimed at rd 2.

Don't know after todays game i see the side as follows

Backs: Callan, Lake, Morris
Gilbee, Williams, Hargrave
Center Higgins, Boyd, Ward
Forwards: Aker, Harbrow, Murph
Hill, Minson, Johnson
Rucks: Hudson, Griffen, Cross
I/C: Gia, Addison, Tiller, Everitt
Emer: Reid, Okeefe

LostDoggy
15-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Williams will play Round 1, Rocket has said that all along.

azabob
15-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Williams will play Round 1, Rocket has said that all along.

I hope this is not the case. We cannot take too many underdone players to perth.
Murphy, Cooney, Akermanis, Williams and I'm sure there are more. I hope Eade follows his pre season philosphy in saying underdone players won't play if they are not match fit.
I still think we play players when perhaps they should have the week off.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-03-2009, 01:49 PM
I hope this is not the case. We cannot take too many underdone players to perth.
Murphy, Cooney, Akermanis, Williams and I'm sure there are more. I hope Eade follows his pre season philosphy in saying underdone players won't play if they are not match fit.
I still think we play players when perhaps they should have the week off.

Good call, that's the issue of first round selection. Does 'underdone' before round one mean the same as 'underdone' during the season, given that all teams must have more players underdone now? Probably not.
Anyway I'm an optimist/dreamer but it's hard fitting everyone in. Tommy to run amok. My team is:

B: Callan; Lake; Hargrave.
HB: Eagleton; Morris; Gilbee.
C: Griffen; Cross; Boyd.
HF: Murphy; Hahn; Hill.
F: Aker; Johnson; Welsh
R: Hudson; Cooney; Higgins.
Int: Giansiracusa; Williams; Minson; J.Grant.
Emerg: Everitt; Ward; Tiller;Harbrow.

hujsh
15-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Williams won't play. Rocket is quoted saying so in today's paper.

LostDoggy
15-03-2009, 02:30 PM
On the strength of yesterday, and from reports from the Willy Prac match: Still two weeks though :(

Back - Morris - Lake - Callan
Cent - Akermanis - Cross - Boyd
H Fo - Grant - Hahn - Giansiracusa
Forw - Johnson - Murphy - Higgins
Int - Addison - Eagleton - Roughead - Ward

Bit of a change up. I think give Roughy a game, right at the start, see how he goes. If he fails then Minson back in, but if he does well then Minson will know he has work to do.

hujsh
15-03-2009, 02:44 PM
On the strength of yesterday, and from reports from the Willy Prac match: Still two weeks though :(

Back - Morris - Lake - Callan
Cent - Akermanis - Cross - Boyd
H Fo - Grant - Hahn - Giansiracusa
Forw - Johnson - Murphy - Higgins
Int - Addison - Eagleton - Roughead - Ward

Bit of a change up. I think give Roughy a game, right at the start, see how he goes. If he fails then Minson back in, but if he does well then Minson will know he has work to do.

I take it you really have a problem with Minson if you're going to give a 1st year ruckman a round 1 debut who didn't even play in the practice match side.

Rocco Jones
15-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Backs: Lake, Hargrave, Morris, Gilbee, Callan, Everitt
Midfielders: Hudson, Griffen, Higgins, Cross, Boyd, Giansiracusa
Forwards: Johnson, Cooney, Minson, Hill, Hahn, Akermanis
I/C: Harbrow, Addison, Tiller, Ward

LostDoggy
15-03-2009, 06:43 PM
I take it you really have a problem with Minson if you're going to give a 1st year ruckman a round 1 debut who didn't even play in the practice match side.

Jury is out on Mince for me. I don't "REALLY" have a problem with him. He has size, bulk, and his endevour is great a majority of the time. He lacks skill and disposal though. Was giving reason why i'd have him out, especially considering Roughead is a similar height and already has the bulk (maybe not in all the right areas though) to play seniors.

Considering it's Freo. Give JR a taste early on. Give him an idea what's needed and also let Mince know his position isn't owned. Let's be honest. Hudson is our number one and Mince plays a resting ruckman around the middle/forward line for him.

The Coon Dog
15-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Considering it's Freo. Give JR a taste early on.

Dunno whether you read the write up on Freo v Carlton, but Sandilands absolutely dominated. No way would Roughead play against him first up.

LostDoggy
15-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Dunno whether you read the write up on Freo v Carlton, but Sandilands absolutely dominated. No way would Roughead play against him first up.

Hudson and Roughy running him around all day?

hujsh
15-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Jury is out on Mince for me. I don't "REALLY" have a problem with him. He has size, bulk, and his endevour is great a majority of the time. He lacks skill and disposal though. Was giving reason why i'd have him out, especially considering Roughead is a similar height and already has the bulk (maybe not in all the right areas though) to play seniors.

Considering it's Freo. Give JR a taste early on. Give him an idea what's needed and also let Mince know his position isn't owned. Let's be honest. Hudson is our number one and Mince plays a resting ruckman around the middle/forward line for him.

Do we know if Roughead has any better skills? Being a similar build doesn't mean he'll be anywhere near as effective and just being young doesn't get you a game at AFL level IMO (unless your rebuilding which we certainly are not)

Hudson and Roughy running him around all day?

Roughead doesn't look the type to have great aerobic capacity ATM

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2009, 06:22 PM
B: Morris, Lake, Callan

HB: Hargrave, Tiller/Everitt, Gilbee

C: Eagleton, Cross, Hill

HF: Higgins, Hahn, Giansiracusa

F: Johnson, Minson, Akermanis

R: Hudson, Griffen, Boyd

INT: Cooney, Addison, Harbrow, Welsh

EMG: Ward, Tiller/Everitt, Lynch, Grant.

---------------------------------------------------

The final three positions for Round 1 will most likely be out of Ward, Tiller & Everitt. With Murphy out, Welsh is definately going to play, despite missing last week. That makes it pretty tough for Ward to get a gig - he's been a little quiet for mine anyhow, and a few weeks of finding the ball at Williamstown isn't such a bad thing. Then it comes down to Tiller/Everitt - and it's pretty hard to pick either way. They're fairly even IMO.