PDA

View Full Version : Wayde Skipper

LostDoggy
10-03-2009, 08:49 PM
What's everyone's thoughts on Wayde Skipper?
Is he just filling up the numbers?
Does he just provide a bit of rucking depth or is he have a real chance to earn some games as a forward?

I think he is still worth having on the list although if he cannot cement a spot this year he won't be be with us in 2010.

Mantis
10-03-2009, 10:47 PM
I think he will only play if Minson or Hudson get injured or struggle with form.

I would expect that the combination of Roughead and Cordy would improve over the 09 season such that they could play a back up role in 2010 leaving Skipper in limbo.

LostDoggy
10-03-2009, 10:49 PM
I think he will only play if Minson or Hudson get injured or struggle with form.

I would expect that the combination of Roughead and Cordy would improve over the 09 season such that they could play a back up role in 2010 leaving Skipper in limbo.

With the quick interchange is there a space to play a tall forward who could also do the ruckwork? Minson wasn't that hot at it last year.

KT31
11-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Has to improve this season.
Club won't keep him on the list if he doesn't show something this season, and nor should they.

Cyberdoggie
11-03-2009, 09:19 AM

exactly.

He's there only in case of an emergency this year really.

With street gone we have no real rucking backup to Hudson and Minson without looking at the kids or Cameron Wight. So i think the coach's prefered keeping Skipper for another year than Street, at least the kids would get more of a chance to improve at Williamstown if he's not there.

LostDoggy
11-03-2009, 10:41 AM
He's there only in case of an emergency this year really.

He is there for more than that, he is still very highly thought of.

Go_Dogs
11-03-2009, 10:46 AM

Yes, and he has had some annoyingly timed injuries the past few years which have held him back.

I'm not convinced he'll get many opportunities unless an injury arises, but perhaps if he can keep his body right and have an extended run in the VFL, form and confidence will follow. Really is an important year for Skipper.

Ozza
11-03-2009, 11:01 AM
He can't play. He's only there purely as a back up until Roughead and Cordy are ready to play seniors.

Sounds harsh I know - but with Skipper's size - we've all been wishing he would become a player - but he's clearly not.

LostDoggy
11-03-2009, 01:52 PM
Doesn't have a future at the club IMO.

LostDoggy
11-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Yes, and he has had some annoyingly timed injuries the past few years which have held him back.

He is not the only one look at Williams played 19 games in 4 years injury after injury.

mighty_west
11-03-2009, 03:52 PM
He can't play. He's only there purely as a back up until Roughead and Cordy are ready to play seniors.

Sounds harsh I know - but with Skipper's size - we've all been wishing he would become a player - but he's clearly not.

Have to agree there.

I would much rather give the likes of Cordy & Roughead valuable game time, doesn't mean Roughead has to ruck against the likes of Cox or Brogan or Hill etc, but theres no reason he couldn't go up against the likes of Kreuser, Vickory etc etc.

J Grant showed that size doesn't matter, it's all about footy smarts, if you have it, like a Grant and Cordy & Roughead seem to have, then they can get away with having smaller frames, Robert Murphy was a stick when he made his debut.

Mantis
11-03-2009, 03:57 PM

What role is he there to fill?

He hasn't really shown enough up forward bar one quarter against Geelong 3 or 4 years ago & is probably 2 or 3 inches to fill a permenant role in the ruck, a role he is probably most suited to.

lemmon
11-03-2009, 05:12 PM
IMO he has been mismanaged by the club from the time he was drated. He never had the stature to be a ruckman and the club should've recognised what he did have, a great leap and a good set of hands. From the time he was drafted he should have been to developed to play at FF.

Rocket Science
11-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Despite the numerous flaws in his game, I've often wondered why Skipper wasn't more deliberately persisted with in a key forward post, particularly on a team which during his time here has frequently lamented its lack of tall forward targets.

We've experimented with all manner of forward personnel in recent years, and while I'm not suggesting Skip might have been an annual Coleman candidate, he wasn't a complete spud either.

That said, I've used the past tense for a reason. He's done...just not sure why we didn't try to extract more a little more value out of him.

Dogs 24/7
11-03-2009, 06:35 PM
IMO he has been mismanaged by the club from the time he was drated. He never had the stature to be a ruckman and the club should've recognised what he did have, a great leap and a good set of hands. From the time he was drafted he should have been to developed to play at FF.

I think what you have written is accurate. He's never really been given an extended run at one or two positions and he has been shuffled around a lot. His main problem is that he isn't a strong mark mind you neither is Minson but he is more highly regarded.

I'm concerned that with Hudsons age and Cordy and Rougheads immaturity we will still need to find someone else if we give Skipper the flick at the end of the year. We have no real depth with our rucks at the moment.

bornadog
11-03-2009, 06:38 PM

In what sort of role? Personally I think he is too short to be a ruckman and not quick enough as a KPP, so where does that leave him?

LostDoggy
11-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Boy he should tear it up at VFL level though... what's his Willy form been like the past couple of years?

LostDoggy
11-03-2009, 06:58 PM
I always thought that he had the capabilities to impact at AFL level, for some reason he just hasn't done that.

Maybe it's because he hasn't really settled in a position, playing various rolls each week.

Dogs 24/7
11-03-2009, 07:23 PM
In what sort of role? Personally I think he is too short to be a ruckman and not quick enough as a KPP, so where does that leave him?

I think you could apply that logic to Minson as well.

hujsh
11-03-2009, 07:41 PM
I think you could apply that logic to Minson as well.

Why does everyone think he's so short? He's listed at about the height most ruckmen are listed at (200cm give or take 1-2)

Rocket Science
11-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Probably because Minson's bulkier than most fellers around his height, which gives the visual impression he's shorter.

For the record, he's 199 cms and a lazy 106 kgs.

Sockeye Salmon
11-03-2009, 08:55 PM
The reason Skipper has never made a go of being a KF is because he's no good at it. Very few ruckmen manage to make the transition to be key forwards and Skipper is first and foremost a ruckman.

Skipper is clearly the best tap ruckman we've got but is simply too short to ruck at AFL level.

He'll tear it up in the WAFL.

Rocket Science
11-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Skipper is clearly the best tap ruckman we've got but is simply too short to ruck at AFL level.

That's not much of an accolade in the current day and age.

Bulldog Revolution
12-03-2009, 09:59 AM
The reason Skipper has never made a go of being a KF is because he's no good at it. Very few ruckmen manage to make the transition to be key forwards and Skipper is first and foremost a ruckman.

He'll tear it up in the WAFL.

Its unfortunate - he isn't quite agile enough as a key forward, and not quite big enough as a ruckman

That said Skip generally does some good things when he plays, and if he can elminate a few mistakes he's actually better than he's probably given credit for.

This pre-season would be his best lead in to a season in 3-4 years in terms of being injury free and playing in the seniors the whole time. I expect that he will play some of his best footy this year, and opportunity will dictate what level that will be at.

I dont think Minson has been in good touch pre-season so Skip may well get a few opportunities.

LostDoggy
10-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Listening to Rocket on "The Run Home" (SEN) being interviewed, and he was asked about Skipper - The Ox said there were a lot of SMS' asking about whether Skipper would be considered for the seniors, and the forward line.

Rocket basically said that Skipper would only ever play if one of the ruckman got injured. Rocket said that Skipper had been tried as a forward and it wasn't what he was good at.

bulldogtragic
10-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Listening to Rocket on "The Run Home" (SEN) being interviewed, and he was asked about Skipper - The Ox said there were a lot of SMS' asking about whether Skipper would be considered for the seniors, and the forward line.

Rocket basically said that Skipper would only ever play if one of the ruckman got injured. Rocket said that Skipper had been tried as a forward and it wasn't what he was good at.
He's not a good AFL ruckman either. Pretty definitive comment really. Skipper is only an insurance policy, i'd rather cut him loose and take Cameron Cloke or another recycled AFL ruckman for cheap, for next season while Roughy gets another year.

LostDoggy
10-08-2009, 07:37 PM
He's not a good AFL ruckman either. Pretty definitive comment really. Skipper is only an insurance policy, i'd rather cut him loose and take Cameron Cloke or another recycled AFL ruckman for cheap, for next season while Roughy gets another year.

If we are going to get a recycled ruck then we might as well keep Skipper

GVGjr
10-08-2009, 07:37 PM

I don't disagree with that. All season Skip has played in the ruck for Williamstown which won't transition into being able to play as a key forward at the AFL level.
Most of the supporters that want Skipper included haven't seen him much at Williamstown and just look at his height and say he is worth a try.

LostDoggy
10-08-2009, 07:41 PM
I don't disagree with that. All season Skip has played in the ruck for Williamstown which won't transition into being able to play as a key forward at the AFL level.
Most of the supporters that want Skipper included haven't seen him much at Williamstown and just look at his height and say he is worth a try.

I was just thinking in the shower the other day (yesterday probably) that if we need a focal point up forward, and Will has been earmarked as 'the man', then leave the big guy up there instead of making him ruck 70% of the game.

This means bringing Skip in as ruck relief for Huddo, and from all accounts, he'll go okay as a 2nd ruck.

Now, some might say that the side becomes 'too tall', but then we kick Welsh or Hahn out (who really hasn't been contributing a heck of a lot anyway) and bring some mobility into the forwardline to compensate and voila.. instant balance.

Will is not the answer up forward but at least leaving him up there most of the time gives us a real spine down the middle.

bulldogtragic
10-08-2009, 07:42 PM
If we are going to get a recycled ruck then we might as well keep Skipper
I like the idea of Cloke, not becuase he is a world beater, but he at least has shown he can play a little at AFL, takes marks and kick the occasional goal. That's a better insurance policy than Skipper. Ad Cloke has Warnock, Kruzer and that lanky fella ahead of him. Cloke should be assessing his options and couldn't demand too much? Surely Cloke is a better insurance policy than Skipper?

LostDoggy
10-08-2009, 07:53 PM
I was just thinking in the shower the other day (yesterday probably) that if we need a focal point up forward, and Will has been earmarked as 'the man', then leave the big guy up there instead of making him ruck 70% of the game.

This means bringing Skip in as ruck relief for Huddo, and from all accounts, he'll go okay as a 2nd ruck.

Now, some might say that the side becomes 'too tall', but then we kick Welsh or Hahn out (who really hasn't been contributing a heck of a lot anyway) and bring some mobility into the forwardline to compensate and voila.. instant balance.

Will is not the answer up forward but at least leaving him up there most of the time gives us a real spine down the middle.

I don't buy into the too tall crap, St Kilda play Kosi, Gardiner and King in there side, when all are fit.

Remi Moses
10-08-2009, 08:15 PM
I like the idea of Cloke, not becuase he is a world beater, but he at least has shown he can play a little at AFL, takes marks and kick the occasional goal. That's a better insurance policy than Skipper. Ad Cloke has Warnock, Kruzer and that lanky fella ahead of him. Cloke should be assessing his options and couldn't demand too much? Surely Cloke is a better insurance policy than Skipper?

Cloke's to slow for a key position he's to slow for any position. much rather have our young ruckman come in next season.