PDA

View Full Version : Paul O'Shea - Out for 3 months

BulldogBelle
12-03-2009, 01:02 PM
A bit of bad news for Paul O'Shea he is having surgery to his hip and will miss 3 months, speedy recovery to him ...

Here is the article...

Young Bulldog faces three months on sidelines (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/73118/default.aspx)
AFL Website
Jennifer Witham
Thu 12 March, 2009

YOUNG Western Bulldog Paul O'Shea will undergo surgery on a troublesome hip this Saturday and miss the first three months of the season.

O'Shea, 19, will have bone shaved from his hip and loose matter removed to try to rectify the soreness he has suffered in recent weeks.

Coach Rodney Eade said the emerging defender could have survived the season without the surgery but would have struggled for a senior opportunity.

"He's been running under duress and he could probably get through but it's going to compromise his season," Eade told afl.com.au at the Dogs' season launch on Wednesday night at Docklands.

"As a young guy, it's better to get it fixed up so at least he can have a clean run at the last 12 or so weeks of the season and be able to show his true wares.

"If he just grumbled along, he wouldn't be able to play and it would have affected his confidence.

"I think getting it done is the right thing to do."

O'Shea was recruited by the Bulldogs late in the 2006 draft and is yet to play a senior game in the home-and-away season.

The young Queenslander, who has played two NAB Cup matches including the Dogs' recent one-point loss to Essendon, is earmarked as a developing running defender by the club and was hoping to make his debut this year.

The Dogs will now have the opportunity to move O'Shea to the long term injury list, which would free up a spot for one of the club's six rookies to be elevated to the main list.

Eade, who has previously noted that mature-age rookie Liam Picken could easily play senior football if given the chance, said the Dogs wouldn't rush into a decision.

"We'll elevate if we need someone. There's no point in elevating just for the sake of elevating someone," he said.

"Young James Mulligan did well on the weekend, Liam Picken has done well and Henry White showed a little bit.

"At this stage, none of them would get a game but there might be a case for them over the next 10 rounds, so we'll wait and see what happens."

Meanwhile, another Bulldogs backman in Tom Williams will play his first game for the year on Saturday when the club meets Melbourne in a NAB Challenge match at Casey Fields.

Williams, 22, has been eased into the action this pre-season after recovering from an end-of-season shoulder operation while nursing a recent ankle injury.

"He'll play this week and will be in the squad on Thursday," Eade said.

"He'll play half a game. He's had an ankle and could have played last week but we just thought we'd give him another week training."

bornadog
12-03-2009, 01:04 PM
It would nice if we could elevate Mulligan.

BulldogBelle
12-03-2009, 01:10 PM

Agree - will be interesting to see if they do elevate anyone. At least we have 6 to choose from. :)

LostDoggy
12-03-2009, 01:28 PM
No point elevating someone unless they will lay seniors that week.

Bulldog4life
12-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Bad luck for Paul but on a brighter note it is good to see that Tom Williams is finally going to play this weekend.:)

Go_Dogs
12-03-2009, 01:44 PM
No point elevating someone unless they will lay seniors that week.

Isn't there a rule this year that you are allowed to upgrade 2 players, and keep them upgraded regardless of long term injury list? Or does that come in next year?

Either way though, you are right. At this stage none of our rookies would be needed.

Bad luck for Paul, from most reports he's had a reasonable pre-season, and he looked OK in patches against Essendon. No point struggling through the season and having a bad year because you're injured, so probably a good decision.

Sockeye Salmon
12-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Fair opportunity for the rookies. Now would be a reasonably good time to put in some decent performances.

azabob
12-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Bad luck for Paul but on a brighter note it is good to see that Tom Williams is finally going to play this weekend.:)

Lets not get to carried away, knowing his track record......

Ozza
12-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Really hoping the Liam Picken will get an opportunity o the senior list. His is a very similar tale to what Matty Boyd's was before he got elevated - and Picko is even wearing the number 42 jumper that Boyd first had!

The Underdog
12-03-2009, 02:57 PM

He'd want to show a bit more before we do. I don't think there's any hurry to elevate someone, certainly noone on the rookie list screams out that they'll be pushing for a spot in the 22.

I was already planning on going to Casey as I live kind of in that direction but now that there's going to be a real live, Tom Williams on a football field in football clothes playing football, sighting, I'm super excited. It's kind of like Halley's Comet or a solar eclipse. Just don't look directly at him or your eyes could get injured :eek:.

Sockeye Salmon
12-03-2009, 03:22 PM
He'd want to show a bit more before we do. I don't think there's any hurry to elevate someone, certainly noone on the rookie list screams out that they'll be pushing for a spot in the 22.

I was already planning on going to Casey as I live kind of in that direction but now that there's going to be a real live, Tom Williams on a football field in football clothes playing football, sighting, I'm super excited. It's kind of like Halley's Comet or a solar eclipse. Just don't look directly at him or your eyes could get injured :eek:.

Lots of things could happen to Tom between now and Casey.

When Peter Featherby went to Geelong he was still tied to us, so Geelong needed a clearance. We traded Featherby for a 17yo KF called Paul Hood. 6' 4", mark anything in sight.

Hood's first time in the tri-colour was a practice match with our U19's on a ground with a small picket fence around it. Running onto the ground Hood jumped the fence, clipped the top of it and broke his leg. He never played serious football again.

Tom could do this.

Bulldog4life
12-03-2009, 03:24 PM

I hope you will be able to give us some unbiased feedback on him.:)

The Underdog
12-03-2009, 04:01 PM

When Peter Featherby went to Geelong he was still tied to us, so Geelong needed a clearance. We traded Featherby for a 17yo KF called Paul Hood. 6' 4", mark anything in sight.

Hood's first time in the tri-colour was a practice match with our U19's on a ground with a small picket fence around it. Running onto the ground Hood jumped the fence, clipped the top of it and broke his leg. He never played serious football again.

Tom could do this.

I think we both rate Tom's abilities to not get on the field fairly highly.

I hope you will be able to give us some unbiased feedback on him.:)

As much as anything I'm excited that Tom Williams the footballer exists, up until now he's been part apparition and part myth. It could also be his only half of football this year...

(Seriously, I wish Tom all the luck in the world and hope he plays 25 solid games this year. I'm just not that confident he will)

Stevo
12-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Picken "might" deserve a promotion but the rest of them aren't ready by a long, long way. We rarely use the rookie list as a way of providing insurance to the seniors and our rookie list is very much a development one.

bornadog
12-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Picken "might" deserve a promotion but the rest of them aren't ready by a long, long way. We rarely use the rookie list as a way of providing insurance to the seniors and our rookie list is very much a development one.

Do you think that is the best strategy?

Stevo
12-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Do you think that is the best strategy?

No. With 5 rookies I would look to have one development ruckman and a midfielder and 3 experienced types. Now you might get away with 2 experienced types but I look at the rookie list as support for the senior list not just more development players.
I guess because we just about ignored drafting ruckman for a number of years we could argue that Mulligan Shaw are a necessity but surely there is more experienced guys capable of covering an injury for a few weeks.

Mantis
12-03-2009, 09:17 PM
I guess because we just about ignored drafting ruckman for a number of years we could argue that Mulligan Shaw are a necessity but surely there is more experienced guys capable of covering an injury for a few weeks.

Like who?

There doesn't seem a lot of ruck depth even at the VFL level.

Go_Dogs
13-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Like who?

There doesn't seem a lot of ruck depth even at the VFL level.

I don't think Stevo is referring to us having more 'ready to go rucks' on the rookie list, more so players that could come straight into the senior side, ready to go players, generally.

Port have done this pretty well this year, Wade Thompson and Danny Meyer are both very realistic chances to getting a gig Rd 1 off the rookie list.

Gavin Hughes I feel was drafted for that role, and Picken this year. But I agree that perhaps a more even spread between development players and those ready to go is an idea worth looking into.

Cyberdoggie
13-03-2009, 12:52 PM

perhaps we should invest in some new technology to keep him injury free.

the phrase "wrapped in cotton wool" springs to mind,
however they should take it one step further.
Maybe they should wrap him up in that bubble wrap you get in parcels to protect fragile goods. So some kind of bubble wrap skins technology?

or maybe a foam suit of somekind?