12-03-2009, 11:12 PM
He is funny

Mantis
12-03-2009, 11:27 PM
He is funny

The rest are not.

hujsh
12-03-2009, 11:49 PM
A class above the rest. Handled Sam beautifully when he tried to corner him about his expectations on Brownlow night.

Seemed pretty bored as they talked to Crawf. To be fair I was too.

LostDoggy
13-03-2009, 12:13 AM
had a word association - said Will Minson as gay and can't spell Gia's name
i love cooney

Go_Dogs
13-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Damn, missed it!

LostDoggy
13-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Quite funny bloke but you can tell he hasnt done much media, very shy.

Found the word association pretty funny though...

JB:Billy in lycra...
Coon: Cute
JB: Rodney Eade in lyrca
Coon: Uhhhhhh hmm...great coach...good bloke

Gold.

always right
13-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Quite funny bloke but you can tell he hasnt done much media, very shy.

yes....he simply says what comes into his mind, which tends to be bloody funny. Breath of frsh air on a very stale show last night. He'll be a regular with performances like that. Had Newman stuck for words with his responses to Sammy's baiting.

comrade
13-03-2009, 12:54 PM
yes....he simply says what comes into his mind, which tends to be bloody funny. Breath of frsh air on a very stale show last night. He'll be a regular with performances like that. Had Newman stuck for words with his responses to Sammy's baiting.

They had close to 6 months to think of something hilarious to kick off the season and they went with Shane Crawford crumping with a grandma and spent 10 minutes on a dancing chicken.

Excruciating television - thank god for Coon.

always right
13-03-2009, 01:28 PM
They had close to 6 months to think of something hilarious to kick off the season and they went with Shane Crawford crumping with a grandma and spent 10 minutes on a dancing chicken.

Excruciating television - thank god for Coon.

They even went with a new segment based on Gary Lyon singing...and he refused to sing.:eek:

The Bulldogs Bite
13-03-2009, 04:58 PM
They even went with a new segment based on Gary Lyon singing...and he refused to sing.:eek:

It's obviously a build up that will occur each week until much later in the season when Lyon does get up and sing.

TFS was good last night, I think people just love to hate it. ALWAYS trying to pick it apart in some aspect. Kinda gets old.

Coons did well, funny man.

hujsh
13-03-2009, 05:50 PM
It's obviously a build up that will occur each week until much later in the season when Lyon does get up and sing.

TFS was good last night, I think people just love to hate it. ALWAYS trying to pick it apart in some aspect. Kinda gets old.

It can be really good or really bad. As you would expect with Sam as the star of the show

Rocket Science
13-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Kinda gets old.

Not as old as what passes for hilarity on the program...or the recycled Mike Walsh Show set they're running with.

Bulldog Revolution
13-03-2009, 06:29 PM
They've been trying to get him on TFS since he was a 1st year player knowing what a lovable rogue he is.

I'm pleased that he has received good advice and waited until now to get involved.

Mantis
13-03-2009, 06:45 PM
They've been trying to get him on TFS since he was a 1st year player knowing what a lovable rogue he is.

I'm pleased that he has received good advice and waited until now to get involved.

Til the show was on it's last legs?

Seriously Cooney looked bored shitless last night.... I would be advising him to stick with 'Before the game'

hujsh
13-03-2009, 09:09 PM

Seriously Cooney looked bored shitless last night.... I would be advising him to stick with 'Before the game'

Regardless of the two shows quality and personal preferences i would have to agree that Cooney is better suited to BTG where they sit and ask him questions as opposed to on TFS where you have to almost interrupt to be able to say anything (apart from the first 10 minutes)

Remi Moses
14-03-2009, 12:01 AM

People still watch that show! Just checked the Use By date The Footy show expired about 1998.channel 9 need a major overhaul of that show.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-03-2009, 02:31 PM
People still watch that show! Just checked the Use By date The Footy show expired about 1998.channel 9 need a major overhaul of that show.

If it was crap and nobody liked it, it wouldn't be on television.

Pretty much says it all.

azabob
14-03-2009, 04:53 PM
If it was crap and nobody liked it, it wouldn't be on television.

Pretty much says it all.

Hmmm disagree, I think 99% of things on TV are crap...

Bulldog Revolution
14-03-2009, 06:51 PM

Ha ha, good point, :D but

I meant more until he was experienced, mature, and able to deal with the rubbish, and not get an over inflated head a la Lyon, Newman, Fev etc

The Bulldogs Bite
14-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Hmmm disagree, I think 99% of things on TV are crap...

It's all about ratings. If it was SUCH a bad show, it wouldn't be still on. Clearly enough people like it to watch it, guaranteeing its place on television.

azabob
14-03-2009, 07:32 PM
It's all about ratings. If it was SUCH a bad show, it wouldn't be still on. Clearly enough people like it to watch it, guaranteeing its place on television.

I understand its all about ratings, but still IMO most shows are on commercial TV are extremely average if not below.
Just because something is popular doesn't make it good. Quantity does not = quality

Topdog
14-03-2009, 08:04 PM

Don't confuse good ratings with quality TV. Jerry Springer is still on TV after 10 or so years.

hujsh
14-03-2009, 09:41 PM
I find the majority of the best TV shows aren't on primetime TV anymore. Sad but true

The Bulldogs Bite
15-03-2009, 01:39 AM
Don't confuse good ratings with quality TV. Jerry Springer is still on TV after 10 or so years.

My point is that if it was such a terrible show, if it was "so" boring, then it wouldn't be on television.

Springer = controversy = ratings.

In some respects, TFS is similiar and it can be amusing.

If TFS is as bad as what people say it is, then god - I'd hate to get your reports on 90% of other television.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-03-2009, 01:41 AM
I find the majority of the best TV shows aren't on primetime TV anymore. Sad but true

There's only ever a handful of shows that you like during a period of 4 or so years anyway. That's just the way it works with having only 3 channels (7/9/10) in Australia. They go through stages. A while back the whole "reality TV" crap was all over the place. For the last few years, it's all been crime related shows. Next it'll be something else.

alwaysadog
15-03-2009, 08:19 AM
My point is that if it was such a terrible show, if it was "so" boring, then it wouldn't be on television.

If TFS is as bad as what people say it is, then god - I'd hate to get your reports on 90% of other television.

TBB haven't watched the show for ages. Gave up when Eddie Everwhere wouldn't pull Sam into line. Gave it a try again when it got new hosts. Didn't get through the second show. Turned it off and never been back on.

It trawls all that is worst about our game IMHO and I can't see that it has an upside for football as distinct from the egos and bank balances of a few tired heroes.

It exists because on the one hand there is an inexhaustible appetite for football and none of the other channels has the imagination to do something innovative (I apologise for daring to use that word in connection with Aussie TV).

World of Sport from all those years ago was a much better reflection of the game and didn't teat the football public like mugs.

GVGjr
15-03-2009, 08:41 AM

TBB,

I'm another who rarely if ever watch it but I understand that the show isn't necessarily being pitched at people like me. It tries to be funny and it tries to be controversial and there is a big enough market out there for that but there is also a good reasons why the ratings are declining. The hosts aren't good and Garry Lyon exhibits no leadership qualities when they are needed especially with things like the hatchet job on Caroline Wilson. Newman has become hamstrung by a long list of misdemeanors both on TV and radio and he knows he has few credits in the bank left so that slows him down and Brayshaw just hasn't clicked from what I have seen.

It's not necessarily a bad show but it's far from a good one and I don't think it represent the game or the players well. Plenty will disagree with me though and that's why it's still on the air.

ledge
15-03-2009, 06:27 PM
I gave up watching it years ago, its on too late and it just goes on and on, the naming of teams seems to be just a fill in when it should be the major topic.
Too busy talking crap and really amateur skits of no relevant meaning to the actual game, ie the ape thing about Jason Dunstall or the carry on about Garry Lyon on a stretcher.
Get back to the football and stop going on about past players personalities.
League teams on fox at least sticks to the games and players and i find that a lot better.

KT31
16-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Watched TFS for the first time in ages.
Unless it has a major revamp this will be its last season.
Sam must be the most overpaid has been on TV.
Coony was great but already tired of Newman and Crawford.
Channel 7 should approach Brownless and Cooney and give them their own show.
Unfortunately we don't get BTG.

BulldogBelle
16-03-2009, 12:35 AM
I still watch TFS - although, I am not a very big fan of Garry Lyon's and I really think his sourness brings zilch to the show. I remember someone telling me they knew his PA and that he is very difficult to please.

To improve the show they really need to bring more guests on and bring a bit of seriousness to it. I don't mind their attempts at humour but sometimes the joke goes on too long.

I always look forward to seeing our players on there...Cooney's humour was good.

In saying that the show obviously still rates well and people like watching it, otherwise it wouldn't still be on air in it's 16th year.

Topdog
16-03-2009, 01:22 AM
League teams on fox at least sticks to the games and players and i find that a lot better.

thats what I watch too. Simple, no need for "comedy" football talk!

LostDoggy
16-03-2009, 09:02 AM
thats what I watch too. Simple, no need for "comedy" football talk!

The problem is they think they are comedians and then sack the only guy on the show that was a comedian and had some idea about humour.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2009, 04:38 PM
The problem is they think they are comedians and then sack the only guy on the show that was a comedian and had some idea about humour.

I found it interesting they didn't renew Trevor's contract, but to be honest, he's pretty dull anyway.

I can't stand Brownless - bores me to tears and has next to nothing to add to discussion when there is one.

BulldogBelle
16-03-2009, 04:46 PM
I found it interesting they didn't renew Trevor's contract, but to be honest, he's pretty dull anyway.

Actually TBB, I wasn't surprised his contract wasn't renewed towards the end he did get a bit stale. Although, he was funnier than some of the others on there.

LostDoggy
16-03-2009, 08:05 PM
I still watch TFS - although, I am not a very big fan of Garry Lyon's and I really think his sourness brings zilch to the show. I remember someone telling me they knew his PA and that he is very difficult to please.

To improve the show they really need to bring more guests on and bring a bit of seriousness to it. I don't mind their attempts at humour but sometimes the joke goes on too long.

I always look forward to seeing our players on there...Cooney's humour was good.

In saying that the show obviously still rates well and people like watching it, otherwise it wouldn't still be on air in it's 16th year.

Gary Lyon's 'sourness' IS his attempt at serious and hard-hitting.

What segments do you like on the footy show BB?

LostDoggy
16-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Actually TBB, I wasn't surprised his contract wasn't renewed towards the end he did get a bit stale. Although, he was funnier than some of the others on there.

If Maralade was stale, what are the others then?

BulldogBelle
16-03-2009, 11:49 PM
What segments do you like on the footy show BB?

Good question Lanterno - possibly Street Talk and Crawford's antics.

If Maralade was stale, what are the others then?

Staler. :) Show needs a massive revamp.

Twodogs
18-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Regardless of the two shows quality and personal preferences i would have to agree that Cooney is better suited to BTG where they sit and ask him questions as opposed to on TFS where you have to almost interrupt to be able to say anything (apart from the first 10 minutes)

Last time BTG had Coon on they played the same segment twice.

hujsh
18-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Last time BTG had Coon on they played the same segment twice.

That was very annoying and confusing at the time. I've never seen any show make that bad a mistake before.

comrade
18-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Staler. :) Show needs a massive revamp.

The sad thing is last Thursday was an attempt at a revamp. New set, no Trevor, slightly different structure to the show - absolutely fell flat.

AndrewP6
18-03-2009, 11:04 PM
ALWAYS trying to pick it apart in some aspect. Kinda gets old.

Kinda gets old? Like TFS itself...they haven't broken new ground in years...although a positive to get rid of Marmalade... that guy is about as funny as a tumour...
Cooney was good, for a young fella he dealt with Newman well...

Higgo2Coon2Grif
19-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Cooney is very impressive. Quality young bloke on and off the field.

Twodogs
19-03-2009, 12:26 PM
That was very annoying and confusing at the time. I've never seen any show make that bad a mistake before.]

I sat behind Dave Hughes at the prelim last year. I mentioned it to him then and he said there wasnt much they could do about it. I said that him giving me Angela Pippos phone number might help, but he wouldnt give it to me...

LostDoggy
22-03-2009, 05:14 PM
My personal favourite Cooney moment on the show was when they showed the guy with the COONEY, I'M PREGNANT sign, Cooney responded instantl with "I did NOT sleep with that man. We just went to the movies and second base.."

Classic!