PDA

View Full Version : The Charlie Sutton Medal

Topdog
22-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Well the pre season is over so perhaps we can make a bit more of an informed choice on this. Who does everyone think will take Charlie home this year?

You can find a complete list the past Sutton Medalists 1927-2006 complete with a list of multiple winners at http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=442
or for a blog about Charlie's career and his times, try=http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=3534#post3534]

bornadog
22-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Brad Johnston, followed by Griffen and West will be up there again.

Topdog
22-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Brad Johnston, followed by Griffen and West will be up there again.

didn't even give me time to finish the poll :eek:

Go_Dogs
22-03-2007, 06:29 PM
I went for Cooney, which will be viewed as an interesting choice probably. He'll start the year slowly, but he is genuinely a very talented player - who if he can stay fit, will no doubt end the season as one of the games leading onballers. His ability to kick goals, as well as win the clearance is crucial to our success this year, and I know Adam will be keen to have a much more consistent year this year.

GVGjr
22-03-2007, 07:05 PM
I'll go for Crossy. If he just improves a bit on last year he will take a power of beating.

bornadog
22-03-2007, 11:11 PM
didn't even give me time to finish the poll :eek:

You gotta be quick;)

alwaysadog
24-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Not a bad top seven. Would be great if someone else could get up to the elite level.

Mofra
24-03-2007, 12:54 PM
I voted Cross. With all due respect to the others, he has almost as much upside as any of the younger players yet has proven himself as a midfielder - something Cooney & Griffen have yet to do over the course of a whole game (apologies to Cooney, however I include consistency as a hallmark of proven).

The Bulldogs Bite
24-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Scott West.

I think he'll have a year similiar to his last few, perhaps not as dominant, but certainly still good enough to win the Charlie Sutton Medal.

Johnson will finish second IMO, as he has a lot more "friendly" competition with the players coming back from injuries, and kids like Higgins, Griffen playing better/more football.

For a smokey I'll say Akermanis will finish third, followed by Cooney, Cross & then Griffen.

Topdog
26-03-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm going to go for Gia. I can't really put a finger on why but I just think that he is primed for a big year. Has been unlucky with injuries the past 2 years and seems to be loved by all and sundry at the club.

BTW thanks AAD for adding the links to the past winners and the blog.

LostDoggy
27-03-2007, 07:19 AM
I'm going to say Scott West. He is such a remarkable player and hasn't shown any signs of slowing down (though I did notice Eade started to rest him on the bench occasionally last season). Johnno was clearly the standout last year and also doesn't appear to be wearing down. However, with a different structure this year because of returning players, he might not be the "got to man" as often. As someone else said - what an impressive top 7.

Topdog
18-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Bump. Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd bump this one up. What are people's thoughts at the "half" way mark?

West would seem to be a show-in with only Johnno and Harris getting close IMO, esp. now that Cross is out for 8.

Go_Dogs
18-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Cooney is still on track for a big last half of the year, although he's got a bit of catching up to do.

alwaysadog
18-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Cooney is still on track for a big last half of the year, although he's got a bit of catching up to do.

Cooney has been playing a more mature game recently and more consistently. He could surprise in the remainder of the year.

Go_Dogs
19-06-2007, 09:53 AM
I have no doubt he will.

aker39
19-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Matthew Boyd

LostDoggy
19-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Harris would be picking up a lot of votes this year. Unlike the Brownlow where votes seem to go to the ubiquitous midfielders, I reckon coaching/club staff would be more appreciative of the good consistent defence work Brian has done so far this year. Still, Scott West is an unbelievable player.

Bulldog Revolution
19-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Matthew Boyd

I think he is one who will be in the mix - he has gone head to head with some guns, so the coaches will appreciate his ability to do what is asked

West, Harris, Cooney and Cross will also poll well

bornadog
19-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally, I went for Brad Johnston and Griffen to poll well.

I think Brad is still up there, Brian Harris will poll well as will Boyd

Go_Dogs
19-06-2007, 05:49 PM
McMahon could be a bit of an underdog for mine too, his first 6 games were all excellent.