PDA

View Full Version : Demons v Bulldogs Practice Match

The Coon Dog
14-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Anyone heading off to Casey Fields this afternoon?

I'm going along with the family, looking forward to it.

A reasonably strong team in today, hoping they all get through unscathed.

Dogs 24/7
14-03-2009, 09:28 AM

I'll be heading out there. I was very tempted to just go and watch Williamstown.
Coon Dog, NAB Cup games a no and practice games a yes ? From memory that is quite a commute for you as well. :confused:

I just want to see the young players go through their paces today.

Sockeye Salmon
14-03-2009, 09:28 AM

I'll probably head down. See you there.

firstdogonthemoon
14-03-2009, 11:42 AM
What time is this game on?

Before I Die
14-03-2009, 12:03 PM
I am intending to go, but it is a good hour or more away and the rain is currently bucketing down at home. I think the last time I stood in the rain at the footy was the last home game ever at Whitten Oval.

LostDoggy
14-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Hopefully Williams dosen't get injured.

LostDoggy
14-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Thought it was tomorrow..

Gunna be a sloppy poor skilled game, hope we come out unscathed and with a win

Mantis
14-03-2009, 04:12 PM
1/2 Time score:

Melbourne 7.3.45
Dogs 5.10.40

Williams playing, not doing a lot, but he is at least out there.

Higgins, Gia and Eagleton amongst the best.

Mantis
14-03-2009, 04:46 PM
We lead 59 to 51 during the 3rd qtr.

LostDoggy
14-03-2009, 04:59 PM
sounds like we've been inaccurate in front of goal. Thanks for the updates so far.

hujsh
14-03-2009, 05:15 PM
10.3 .63
9.11 .65

Up by 2 at 3 qtr time

Score may be close but kicking at goal (badly by us, well by them) is what's kept them in the game

hujsh
14-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Higgins last goal kicker

to

Dees have lost Petterd and Davey to injury. Don't know how serious but they must be pissed

Also Demonology (the site where I'm getting the scores) is crap. Glad WOOF isn't so poor

hujsh
14-03-2009, 05:27 PM

With 10 minutes left you can just about announce our first win of the year.

Bulldog4life
14-03-2009, 05:49 PM
A good win by 38 points. Appears our fitness in the last quarter was important according to a friend who was there.

LostDoggy
14-03-2009, 05:56 PM
the first win of many for this year I trust

bulldogtragic
14-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Peaking at the right time of the pre-season.

GVGjr
14-03-2009, 07:16 PM
I went along today and it was a far from impressive performance even allowing for the conditions. The oval by the way was in just about perfect condition.

Williams played today and was very quiet early on but started getting a bit of it in the 3rd term. Cooney played and was quiet.

I thought the better players consisted of Higgins, Hill, Hargrave, Griffen and Giansiracusa.

Good to see Everitt back and in a bit of form as well.

I'll write a bit more soon.

LostDoggy
14-03-2009, 07:24 PM
How did Harbrow play?

comrade
14-03-2009, 07:24 PM
I went along today and it was a far from impressive performance even allowing for the conditions. The oval by the way was in just about perfect condition.

Williams played today and was very quiet early on but started getting a bit of it in the 3rd term. Cooney played and was quiet.

I thought the better players consisted of Higgins, Hill, Hargrave, Griffen and Giansiracusa.

I know you'll elaborate later but without actually seeing the game I would think having Everitt and Williams playing in the same team, Cooney and Murphy getting through unscathed and good performances from Higgins, Griff and Hill suggests Rocket would be pretty happy with what the team got out of the game.

LostDoggy
14-03-2009, 07:31 PM

Far from impressive? skills let us down again?
Must be good that we finished strongly & had a win!

Better news from young pups at Whitten Oval very impressive performances.
Especially from okeeffe,reid & roughead.
okeeffe the stand-out with his great disposal & 3 goals in a game with often sloppy disposal
especially into the forward line.

GVGjr
14-03-2009, 07:45 PM
How did Harbrow play?

Reasonable. Not much better than that though.

GVGjr
14-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Far from impressive? skills let us down again?
Must be good that we finished strongly & had a win!

Better news from young pups at Whitten Oval very impressive performances.
Especially from okeeffe,reid & roughead.
okeeffe the stand-out with his great disposal & 3 goals in a game with often sloppy disposal
especially into the forward line.

It's hard to be overly critical of the skills given the rain etc but we weren't cohesive.

It was good to see Johnson, Griffen, Hill, Higgins and Hargrave play well and I thought Everitt showed a bit and he was good with his run and carry from defense.
Giansiracusa spent a lot of time in the middle and was good.

We still lack a tall presence up forward and it's very much a committee that gets the job done there.
Cross and Boyd were OK but Eagleton was less than impressive. Akermanis, Murphy and Hahn were patchy.

Higgins used the ball well and did a couple of crunching tackles which was a good sign. The who wants to be a millionaire tag that he was christened with recently certainly wasn't on display. Some of Hills marking was very good. Callan was OK, Addison and Ward a bit quiet. Gilbee wasn't his normal self and turned the ball over a bit.
To add a bit of class to the back half I would be tempted to play Ward there.

GVGjr
14-03-2009, 08:00 PM
I know you'll elaborate later but without actually seeing the game I would think having Everitt and Williams playing in the same team, Cooney and Murphy getting through unscathed and good performances from Higgins, Griff and Hill suggests Rocket would be pretty happy with what the team got out of the game.

We have written off the losses in previous weeks because the games apparently didn't mean that much but I'm sure the coach will find a number of subtle wins within this, albeit not convincing, performance.

Before I Die
14-03-2009, 08:11 PM
We have written off the losses in previous weeks because the games apparently didn't mean that much but I'm sure the coach will find a number of subtle wins within this, albeit not convincing, performance.

Apologise if I am misinterpreting your post GVGjr, but it appears you are having a bit of a snipe about Eades positive reading of this pre-season. During his time at the dogs he has always been honest and correct in his assessment of where the team is at. It was nice to get a win today but really the result meant nothing. At different times today we had Johnson, Griffen, Tiller, Williams, Minson and Lake playing out of the square at fullforward and that was only at the end of the ground I was standing at. I don't believe it was through desperation to score goals, but rather to give players a run through different positions and different roles to help them gain touch. Today was a practice match. No-one got hurt, senior players got much needed game time. Any other positives are simply bonuses.

GVGjr
14-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Apologise if I am misinterpreting your post GVGjr, but it appears you are having a bit of a snipe about Eades positive reading of this pre-season. During his time at the dogs he has always been honest and correct in his assessment of where the team is at. It was nice to get a win today but really the result meant nothing. At different times today we had Johnson, Griffen, Tiller, Williams, Minson and Lake playing out of the square at fullforward and that was only at the end of the ground I was standing at. I don't believe it was through desperation to score goals, but rather to give players a run through different positions and different roles to help them gain touch. Today was a practice match. No-one got hurt, senior players got much needed game time. Any other positives are simply bonuses.

Yes, you have misread it....a bit. We have written off all the losses because the games apparently don't count but sure enough after a win, I think we will claim it is a positive which is a bit inconsistent in my opinion.
Having said that, I have also signaled out the positives as I saw them today. Very pleased with Hill who was apparently on the outer, Everitt returning after illness, Griffen, Higgins, Hargrave and Giansiracusa were all good. Cross was also good and I should have mentioned him earlier. Still had strong hands in the wet conditions.

Very pleased to have Williams get through the game and I thought Tiller battled on well and I like Wards class which were all positives in my opinion. We just didn't play as well as I would have liked even allowing for the conditions.

comrade
14-03-2009, 08:28 PM
GVGjr - what are your thoughts on Minson? How did he perform today (taking into consideration that today was nit a good one for big men)? From what I've seen and read on here he certainly hasn't set the park alight, either as in the ruck or up forward.

Is his spot safe for round 1? I saw Jordan Roughead go round today and he just about has the body for AFL and definitely looks a fantastic tap ruckman who can be used up forward. Despite this being his first year, I honestly think Minson will be battling with Roughie if he doesn't put up some good performances.

GVGjr
14-03-2009, 08:31 PM
GVGjr - what are your thoughts on Minson? How did he perform today (taking into consideration that today was nit a good one for big men)? From what I've seen and read on here he certainly hasn't set the park alight, either as in the ruck or up forward.

Is his spot safe for round 1? I saw Jordan Roughead go round today and he just about has the body for AFL and definitely looks a fantastic tap ruckman who can be used up forward. Despite this being his first year, I honestly think Minson will be battling with Roughie if he doesn't put up some good performances.

Minson was a non factor up forward but the conditions didn't help. He was just OK in the ruck but certainly Hudson performed better.

Minson would be safe for a while yet, but even though he has had a good pre-season from a training perspective I haven't seen him perform like we would all hope for.

Nice to hear that you are so positive about Roughead. I wouldn't be tempted to rush him but it's refreshing to hear that we have an emerging ruckman in the squad.

Happy Days
14-03-2009, 09:07 PM
I thought the longer the game went the better Skinny Everitt got

Like a fine wine...stain :)

Williams didn't do anything later in the game I'm gathering?

Bumper Bulldogs
14-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Guys I thought that Rocket rotated the players around a fair but today and it looked that the side was trying to use Williams and Everitt as link up players coming off half back.

Minson, Tillier, Lake & William all had spells at FF, with Ward playing down back on Green.

All in all the skills and decision making at time was poor, but the last Qtr I thought was when we looked to play most players in their normal possies.

interesting that addison, ward got time in the middle under hudson.

I also thought that Tiller played better in the back line than up forward.

Was it me or not but didn't Higgins get smashed all day by the Melbourne team?

Only concern would be Tiller with a calf/hammy. Coon had plenty of ice on the left knee but looked to be ok afterwards when leaving.

Does anyone know what happen to Welsh?

Bumper Bulldogs
14-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Like a fine wine...stain :)

Williams didn't do anything later in the game I'm gathering?

No but looked to run the game out well.

LostDoggy
14-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Very pleased with Hill who was apparently on the outer.

Great to hear Hill did well (obviously I'm a fan). What do you mean by he was 'apparently on the outer'?

Scraggers
14-03-2009, 10:45 PM
Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross, Daniel Giansiracusa, Dale Morris and Nathan Eagleton all made I'm-pressive returns for the red, white and blue.

I read this today on my mobile (between the 18th and 19th end of bowls) ... geeze journalism has travelled a steady downward spiral in recent years ... who hyphenates the word 'impressive' ... yes I'm a teacher ... and yes I am being anally retentive ... but this journalist is being paid to write this ... c'mon on :mad:

GVGjr
14-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Great to hear Hill did well (obviously I'm a fan). What do you mean by he was 'apparently on the outer'?

There was an article the other day where Eade was very critical of his performance.

hujsh
15-03-2009, 12:25 AM
I read this today on my mobile (between the 18th and 19th end of bowls) ... geeze journalism has travelled a steady downward spiral in recent years ... who hyphenates the word 'impressive' ... yes I'm a teacher ... and yes I am being anally retentive ... but this journalist is being paid to write this ... c'mon on :mad:

The more important question is what's wrong with the editor reading it.

Remi Moses
15-03-2009, 12:33 AM
better be careful with a teacher on board,as my grammar is ordinary to say the least.
Pleasing to have a win even in a practice match. Did anybody see according to luxbet Dogs 2.00 Freo 1.80,staggering to say the least. Then again Richmond are 1.60 to make the eight! Honestly some people have way to much of the folding stuff.

Remi Moses
15-03-2009, 12:35 AM

No your not that is just amauter hour stuff. One of the reports Scott Higgins was i'm-pressive for us:eek::eek:

The Bulldogs Bite
15-03-2009, 01:47 AM
Hill has turned it on a bit lately. His second half v Sydney he kicked 3, didn't he? And then again today. So he's definitely guaranteed his spot in the side after a slow start.

Good to hear Everitt/Tiller doing well - both could be key players, structure wise, this year - even if they don't play every game. Those two combined with Williams should give us a lot more output than they did in 08 (Finals excluded for Tiller).

Where was Hargrave played? Forward or back?

alwaysadog
15-03-2009, 08:12 AM
There was an article the other day where Eade was very critical of his performance.

I think this was just a coaches way of reinforcing a message about what Hill can and needs to do, and what he doesn't; like get ahead of himself.

Lesson quickly learned it appears.

GVGjr
15-03-2009, 08:15 AM
I think this was just a coaches way of reinforcing a message about what Hill can and needs to do, and what he doesn't; like get ahead of himself.

Lesson quickly learned it appears.

Yes, the stinging assessment seems to have got the required result out of the player. Hill's poise with his marking and skills yesterday was very much a positive. He didn't get a lot of it but he made an impact.

The coach should be happy with that.

Mantis
15-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Yes, the stinging assessment seems to have got the required result out of the player. Hill's poise with his marking and skills yesterday was very much a positive. He didn't get a lot of it but he made an impact.

The coach should be happy with that.

How were his defensive skills which criticised against Sydney?

Dogs 24/7
15-03-2009, 10:33 AM
How were his defensive skills which criticised against Sydney?

It's hard to rate certain aspects on any players game unless you are specifically watching for them but I did notice him trying to run down players and he didn't make it easy for the Melbourne players to move the ball out of defense in an uncontested manner.

I was going to make a small report this morning but it seems that it's already been covered. We didn't look convincing but did well in the last quarter.

How bad was getting in and out of the car park? :D

Dogs 24/7
15-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Where was Hargrave played? Forward or back?

At one stage I think he and a couple of the other defenders were either moved forward or into the midfield but I agree with Coon Dog that he at least spent more than 95% of the game in the back line.

Sockeye Salmon
15-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Does anyone know what happen to Welsh?

Pulled out with the flu.

He's hardly had any game time all pre-season and would have to be in some doubt for round 1.

Apparently Rob Murphy pulled up sore, as well.

ledge
15-03-2009, 12:15 PM
No your not that is just amauter hour stuff. One of the reports Scott Higgins was i'm-pressive for us:eek::eek:

Could it have just been an error in typing and the proof reader missed it?

Mantis
15-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Pulled out with the flu.

He's hardly had any game time all pre-season and would have to be in some doubt for round 1.

Apparently Rob Murphy pulled up sore, as well.

He apparantely went ok in the 2nd half against Sydney, but missing this latest game may mean he will have to play for Willi next week to gain some match practice if he is to play rd 1.

ledge
15-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Being a printer by trade i tend to ignore stuff like that as spelling etc can be missed pretty easy when your proof reading, i know its why they proof read but no one sees everything.
Then again nowadays maybe its proof read with a computer.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Mantis and hujsh, really appreciated the game reports while the game was in progress. Everyone's reporting greatly appreciated. I lost my license for being .07 (but I was probably under .05, I'd taken a few slurps just before doing the test, and only realised later that this inflates your reading). Casey was out of the question and it was great ot get your reports.
With Welsh and Murphy no guarantees to make the first round, Grant must be a consideration. A left field suggestion, or rather a dreamers suggestion - Williams on the bench and changing at CHF, being able to go to CHB if the game warrants it. I wish.
Rocket seems to be putting Hill under the pump the way he put Cooney under the pump the last couple of years - he sees them as very talented but not naturally disciplined a la West/ Cross/Boyd. They need a rocket under their seats to get the reliability out of them. They need to be given high expectations, especially whilst they're young.
Freemantle cleaned up Carlton, including Judd, Stevens, Murphy and Gibbs in the midfield, they'll be on a high. Good - we'll shock them with our hardness at the contest and our ability to bring our game to bear when it counts.
The double grammar clanger of the journo " i'm-pressive" is a good one. I'm an English teacher and I love an entertaining mistake. That's a good one.

mjp
15-03-2009, 01:27 PM
... yes I'm a teacher ... and yes I am being anally retentive ... but this journalist is being paid to write this ... c'mon on :mad:

C'mon on?

Can I leave the sledging at that?:D

LostDoggy
15-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Was very happy with our performance today. My theory is that Eade told the boys just to go out there and ease themselves into the game and then reassess at HT. I hope that's not to over simplistic, but that's the way the game flowed for the day.

Was very impressed with our link play from mid third qtr right through until the end.

Williams will need to get a bit of touch and hardness. With him being out for so long i know that will come soon though :)

Can't remember who said it, but yes, Higgins did get smashed all day by Melbourne but he just shrugged it off. Just like his predecessor did. It's amazing how much he looks like Westy from the back. Give him two more seasons and he'll add 5-8 kilos to his upper body.

Overall a very decent team effort. I don't recall anyone really having their colours lowered. Melbourne on the other hand are well below the pack. I chuckled to myself when their supporters applauded them en mass in the stand after the game. They didn't give a yelp (pardon the pun) after h/way third qtr.

Stood behind the (front gate, sorry no idea what that end is called) goals. Christ it was wet. Horizontal heavy rain. Wonder where i remember that from ....

Go_Dogs
15-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks to all for the reports.

Great to hear positives about Gia, Hill, Higgins, Griffen, Tiller, Everitt and Hargrave. Also that Williams survived the game.

Really looking forward to Rd1 now.

LostDoggy
15-03-2009, 04:26 PM
The Age listed Tom Williams (ankle) under "Regulars Missing"

hujsh
15-03-2009, 04:29 PM

Fairly certain they're wrong

The Bulldogs Bite
15-03-2009, 05:32 PM

I swear journo's are getting lazier by the year.

LostDoggy
15-03-2009, 06:31 PM
:D

They're hopeless. He played for sure. I thought he was Cam Wight for five minutes after he fumbled a few :o

GVGjr
15-03-2009, 06:46 PM

Was that the same report that said 'Nathan' Cross played well?

Bumper Bulldogs
15-03-2009, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=M.R.M;73430] My theory is that Eade told the boys just to go out there and ease themselves into the game and then reassess at HT.

Not to sure about that as i heard rocket going off his Nut in the 3rd Qtr, A few thought it was inappropriate with the young kids around. I did reply to these ladies that "It's ok the melbourne played couldn't here him :D

I stood most of the game along side of the North melbourne Coaches and players, Funny at 3/4 time Ladley said they didn't have to hang around and they practically run off.

Yes a very good day in all.

Drunken Bum
15-03-2009, 07:41 PM
I was probably under .05, I'd taken a few slurps just before doing the test, and only realised later that this inflates your reading.

if you say that you have just had a drink not to long before, they have to give you another 15mins before testing you again if you blow over

Bumper Bulldogs
15-03-2009, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=M.R.M;73430]Can't remember who said it, but yes, Higgins did get smashed all day by Melbourne but he just shrugged it off. Just like his predecessor did. It's amazing how much he looks like Westy from the back. Give him two more seasons and he'll add 5-8 kilos to his upper body.

My take on Shaun is he is a spitting image of Ben Cousins, but hopefully only with the on field stuff;)

Sockeye Salmon
15-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Mantis and hujsh, really appreciated the game reports while the game was in progress. Everyone's reporting greatly appreciated. I lost my license for being .07 (but I was probably under .05, I'd taken a few slurps just before doing the test, and only realised later that this inflates your reading).

It might inflate your breath test reading but not your blood test reading.

Happy Days
15-03-2009, 11:41 PM
My take on Shaun is he is a spitting image of Ben Cousins, but hopefully only with the on field stuff;)

As far as looks go definately.

Glad to find some who agrees with me on this...when I originally suggested this to my mates I was met with strong ridicule :p

Scraggers
16-03-2009, 12:04 AM
C'mon on?

Can I leave the sledging at that?:D

Thank you MJP ... you were the only one who picked up on it ... its amazing how many people skim read and don't pick up simple gramatical (or spelling) errors !!

Cyberdoggie
16-03-2009, 01:14 PM
I also went to the game.

Still feeling the effects of the cold wet and windy day as well.
Shouldn't of gone there when recovering from the flu, I was a bit ordinary on Sunday.
It was also a good thing i brought two golf umbrella's or i think the Coon Dog, Coon Pup, Sockeye, First Dog, Rocco and my missus may have also come down with something.
At one stage the wind got so heavy it took 3 up us to hold onto 1 umbrella.

Due to the conditions i was a little more pre-occupied with holding onto the umbrella than watching the football in that last quarter. By the time it settled a little we were 30 points up after being neck and neck for most of the game.

Strange that it took the rain and wind to enable us to kick away. Perhaps Melbourne are just soft?

Some of the things i noticed were the following:

*Cooney looks like they have sewn his groins together.
*Hill will go close to 50 goals this year. 3 goals a game player if he's up forward.
*Williams is rusty
*Tiller is looking much more confident down back
*Aker loves the wet
*Hudson is trying to look like Ned Kelly with that beard
*my gf says Minson has a good butt..... :confused:
*Eagleton is still a dud. Got caught twice because he was too slow in the space of 5 minutes.

Go_Dogs
16-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Some of the things i noticed were the following:

*Cooney looks like they have sewn his groins together.

*Tiller is looking much more confident down back

*Eagleton is still a dud. Got caught twice because he was too slow in the space of 5 minutes.

As in Cooney was really struggling with his movement?

Tiller looks like he could become a key piece of our back 6 this year, which is encouraging. Perhaps he frees up Everitt from playing 3rd tall in defence, if both Williams and Everitt are fit.

Where will Eagle play the majority of his football this year do you think? For mine he should almost play the loose man in defence role.

If teams are going to be zoning off through the middle, he'll have time and space to execute those long left foot kicks bring the ball out from half back.

His goal kicking, based on last years finals performances, is no longer a big strength, so his value forward of centre has fallen imo.

The Underdog
16-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Bit late coming in but I went along on saturday too. Ended up leaving at 3/4 time due to a combination of the weather and having to go to work. Most of it's been covered off by others, I guess the only things to add are that I was really impressed with the one percenters in the third quarter. Lots of getting back to help and efforts to get back and spoil. Agree that Tiller looked better down back and may just carve out a role for himself. Crossy's hands even in the wet are astonishing, he one grabs everything (Hill's no slouch either). His kicking was ok too. Thought Everitt looked fairly comfortable down back and used it well.
Melbourne seemed to want to impose themselves physically and verbally at times and we gave it back at a few points.
Was quite hard to get a read on the game but there was some encouraging signs and some not so. Minson should never play FF in the wet.

Mantis
16-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Bit late coming in but I went along on saturday too. Ended up leaving at 3/4 time due to a combination of the weather and having to go to work. Most of it's been covered off by others, I guess the only things to add are that I was really impressed with the one percenters in the third quarter. Lots of getting back to help and efforts to get back and spoil. Agree that Tiller looked better down back and may just carve out a role for himself. Crossy's hands even in the wet are astonishing, he one grabs everything (Hill's no slouch either). His kicking was ok too. Thought Everitt looked fairly comfortable down back and used it well.
Melbourne seemed to want to impose themselves physically and verbally at times and we gave it back at a few points.
Was quite hard to get a read on the game but there was some encouraging signs and some not so. Minson should never play FF in the wet.

Was this more in general play or around the clearances?

Dry Rot
16-03-2009, 02:50 PM
As a matter of interest, what did you all make of the Demons? Does another wooden spoon beckon?

The Underdog
16-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Was this more in general play or around the clearances?

Actually I meant marking. He took a couple overhead with a slippery ball that he never looked like dropping.

As a matter of interest, what did you all make of the Demons? Does another wooden spoon beckon?

They'll struggle to kick a lot of goals. Davey is crucial to their forward line for the danger and pressure he provides (and looks like destroying us nearly every time). No talls who look dangerous up forward. Midfield is reasonable on a good day but can look pedestrian.
Very impressed with what I saw of Bennell and Jetta on Saturday. Both look like players, although fairly small ones.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-03-2009, 05:28 PM
if you say that you have just had a drink not to long before, they have to give you another 15mins before testing you again if you blow over

Yes, that's what I did on the weekend and I went from .057 to .037 in 15 mins.

Yes Sockeye only the breath test is affected, and that's what they hit you with. They don't ask if you've just had a slurp, It's up to you to know this dramatically affects you breath reading at a booze bus. You might be under, but you show as over. Thats what happened to me.

LostDoggy
16-03-2009, 06:48 PM
I also went to the game.

Strange that it took the rain and wind to enable us to kick away. Perhaps Melbourne are just soft?

I'd say it has more to do with our fitness. Mud probably tired Melbourne out

*Hill will go close to 50 goals this year. 3 goals a game player if he's up forward.
He's the man. But even I (who has talked up Josh Hill to the point that he is leaving the Bulldogs next year to form his own team consisting of only himself because he's just that good) doubt that. I think he will have numeral 4+ goals games, but I don't think he is consistent enough yet to kick close to 50.
*Williams is rusty
I'm expecting to put up with articles and people saying Tom Williams isn't as good as we thought at the beginning of the season.
*Aker loves the wet
I remember that game he played for Brisbane against Geelong. But didn't he come out and say last year contrary to common belief he was actually not very good in the rain?

Hope you get better. (what I wrote is bolded)

LostDoggy
16-03-2009, 07:13 PM

Locked in with the Dons. Will come down to injuries i think. Both teams are well below third pack (7th to 13th/14th).

The Underdog
16-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Hope you get better. (what I wrote is bolded)

It wasn't mud that tired Melbourne out btw. The ground was as perfect as it could possibly be. Wet sure, but absolutely perfect.

Sockeye Salmon
17-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Yes, that's what I did on the weekend and I went from .057 to .037 in 15 mins.

Yes Sockeye only the breath test is affected, and that's what they hit you with. They don't ask if you've just had a slurp, It's up to you to know this dramatically affects you breath reading at a booze bus. You might be under, but you show as over. Thats what happened to me.

Do they seriously not give you a blood test?

alwaysadog
17-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Thank you MJP ... you were the only one who picked up on it ... its amazing how many people skim read and don't pick up simple gramatical (or spelling) errors !!

I thought you were mimicking the journalist, to show how little sense is conveyed by ignoring syntactic rules etc., now you tell us it’s just a typo?

Cyberdoggie
17-03-2009, 10:34 AM
As in Cooney was really struggling with his movement?

Tiller looks like he could become a key piece of our back 6 this year, which is encouraging. Perhaps he frees up Everitt from playing 3rd tall in defence, if both Williams and Everitt are fit.

Where will Eagle play the majority of his football this year do you think? For mine he should almost play the loose man in defence role.

If teams are going to be zoning off through the middle, he'll have time and space to execute those long left foot kicks bring the ball out from half back.

His goal kicking, based on last years finals performances, is no longer a big strength, so his value forward of centre has fallen imo.

Cooney just looked like he was in second gear all day. Didn't give the afterburners a run at all. He was running around at about Peter Street's pace.

Eagle i am not a fan of as everyone knows, however he seems to be a pet favourite of the coaching panel and i think he will continue in his usual role, ie wingman, playing wide receiver and then kicking mongrel punts as far as he can or succumbing to the pressure and getting caught or missing a target. I don't think we could trust him across half back with his foot skills. He can kick it long but not very accurately and he can't kick both sides.
Also wouldn't want want to rely on his defensive abilities.

The Eagle could possibly be swallowed up this year by the likes of Ward, Wood, O'Keefe, Stack, Lynch, Reid, Picken. There's plenty of depth in the young midfielders who may get game time this year and Eagle will need to be consistant in his attack on the ball to keep his spot.

Scraggers
18-03-2009, 11:24 AM
I thought you were mimicking the journalist, to show how little sense is conveyed by ignoring syntactic rules etc., now you tell us it’s just a typo?

No ... it was deliberate

BornInDroopSt'54
19-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Do they seriously not give you a blood test?

Yes Sockeye, no blood involved, no urine either. Apparently accurate nonetheless. You can request a blood test and they then must provide one. Footballers must be used to all forms.