PDA

View Full Version : Williamstown vs Coburg - Practice Match

comrade
14-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Reserves was called off at half time - fairly certain that no Dogs were participating in that match.

The ground was wet, not exactly conducive to great skills.

The seniors team was made up of predominantly Bulldogs players. Playing were:

Roughead, Picken, Lynch, Boumann, Cordy, Wood, Daniels, Shaw, Stack, O'Keefe, White, Reid, Wight, Skipper & Grant.

Roughead was unstoppable in the ruck, barely lost a hit out and gave our guys first use. Not bad around the ground either. Had a massive head clash with a Coburg player - lets just say Roughie did not come off second best.

Lynch was fairly lively playing in the middle, though he did fade out of the game at times.

Boumann played back (on Polak) and actually did a pretty good job. Performed well peeling off and acted as a link man - there's potential there.

Cordy was reasonably well held, when he was involved he oozed class. There was one piece of play where the ball was at his feet, he scooped it at pace and fired off a quick handball to a teammate running past.

Wood was good, worked hard across the half back line. His kicking has improved from last year and I can see him squeezing into the Bulldogs side at some stage.

Reid was very good in close - his ability to extricate the ball from a pack and burst away was almost Judd like. He's also built like an Eastern European weightlifter.

Grant did some nice things, almost took down 2 screamers (but didn't). Kicked a couple and is classy. The entry in to forward 50 was terrible at times which didn't help him. He did work hard up the ground and his 2nd efforts were good. I'd have him close to a senior spot for Rd 1.

I think Stack came off with a soft tissue-type injury...

Most of the guys did some nice things. Wight was Wight, was ok in patches then let himself down by not executing fundamental skills.

Not sure of the score - Willy probably lost but not by a whole lot.

If any one has questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Bulldog4life
14-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Great report Comrade. Cheers.

LostDoggy
14-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks for that. What did you think of O'Keefe?

comrade
14-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks for that. What did you think of O'Keefe?

I actually really liked his game. He played a lot of game time in the middle and showed good pace. His disposal is probably the best out of the young guys who played today.

He did cop a knock and came off wobbly, but came back on and performed well. From memory he kicked snagged a couple of goals, atleast 1 from some clever play from Jarrad Grant who scooped a loose ball in the 50 and screwed a snap around his body to O'Keefe who went back and converted.

Bulldog4life
14-03-2009, 06:02 PM
How did John Shaw go?

LostDoggy
14-03-2009, 06:04 PM
I actually really liked his game. He played a lot of game time in the middle and showed good pace. His disposal is probably the best out of the young guys who played today.

He did cop a knock and came off wobbly, but came back on and performed well. From memory he kicked snagged a couple of goals, atleast 1 from some clever play from Jarrad Grant who scooped a loose ball in the 50 and screwed a snap around his body to O'Keefe who went back and converted.

Thanks. Sounds good. He's probably behind a few players in terms of getting in the best 22 but if he keeps consistently playing well at Willi we might see a bit of him I'd think.

comrade
14-03-2009, 06:06 PM
How did John Shaw go?

Played a combination of ruck and key defender. IMO he goes much better as a ruckman - his tap work is very good (IIRC he was the no.1 tap ruckman in TAC Cup). He's obviously pretty mobile too, if Gotch thinks he can do a job at CHB. He was lead to the ball at times when playing in defence but he seems to be developing nicely. If he keeps progressing he'll be a fair chance of being elevated, but that will also depend on how Mulligan goes (who didn't play today).

Bulldog4life
14-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Played a combination of ruck and key defender. IMO he goes much better as a ruckman - his tap work is very good (IIRC he was the no.1 tap ruckman in TAC Cup). He's obviously pretty mobile too, if Gotch thinks he can do a job at CHB. He was lead to the ball at times when playing in defence but he seems to be developing nicely. If he keeps progressing he'll be a fair chance of being elevated, but that will also depend on how Mulligan goes (who didn't play today).

Thanks for that. He had a interrupted season last year so it will be interesting to see how he goes. Always handy to have a number of big players to choose from.

LostDoggy
14-03-2009, 06:30 PM

Surprised you didnt mention him in your ist report, thought he was the standout.
I loved his game he kicked at least 3 & would of had close to 30 despite the knock &
you are right about his good disposal.
Its no surprise as he did look great at willy last year.
Great to see all the bulldogs guys have an impact.

Bulldog Revolution
14-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Nice to hear Comrade

Theres a fair bit of developing Bulldog talent at Gotchs disposal this year: I'd hope Picken, Reid, Wood, OKeefe, Grant & Stack could play some dominant VFL games in 09

How did Lynch look physically? He had a great debut year and then lost his way fitness wise and looked too small. So far this preseason he has appeared to rediscover his mojo. I'm wondering how he looked physically at VFL level. Quick enough? able to win his own ball?

Cordy was used mainly forward I presume?

Was Boumann's speed a feature of his play? How did he kick?

comrade
14-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Nice to hear Comrade

Theres a fair bit of developing Bulldog talent at Gotchs disposal this year: I'd hope Picken, Reid, Wood, OKeefe, Grant & Stack could play some dominant VFL games in 09

How did Lynch look physically? He had a great debut year and then lost his way fitness wise and looked too small. So far this preseason he has appeared to rediscover his mojo. I'm wondering how he looked physically at VFL level. Quick enough? able to win his own ball?

Cordy was played forward all game - he didn't do any rucking in the middle (we did have Roughie, Shaw and Skipper playing aswell).

Lynch looks a likely type - seems fit and strong. Just needs to work on his intensity and find ways to stay in the game.

Boumann's speed was good, he broke the lines a few times with a 1-2 out of the backline but he really needs to bulk up if he's going to hold down a key defensive post. There were times where he got out muscled and it cost us. His kicking was ok, he actually handballed it more than kick today, acting as a link man in defence.

comrade
14-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Surprised you didnt mention him in your ist report, thought he was the standout.
I loved his game he kicked at least 3 & would of had close to 30 despite the knock &
you are right about his good disposal.
Its no surprise as he did look great at willy last year.
Great to see all the bulldogs guys have an impact.

He was impressive. I thought Reid and O'Keefe were our best today - which is great as both have had restricted pre-seasons. Both are set for a big year.

LostDoggy
14-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Nice to hear Comrade

Id throw Boumann in that list of players to play dominant games in 09.
He moved very well today & his agility for a big bloke looks very good.
He is generally a good stong kick ,Roughhead looked very good to.
Dont know if Willy will be as good as last year but we have alot to look forward to
these last 2 draft kids look great!

GVGjr
14-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Great report Comrade. I had a couple of texts from mates who were talking up Reid and O'Keefe.

Bulldog Revolution
15-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Encouraging - both seem to have had injury interrrupted off seasons

Mantis
15-03-2009, 12:22 PM
I caught a bit of the game and agree that Reid, O'Keefe & Roughead were impressive in the time I watched.

LostDoggy
15-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Is this the year we see maybe three or four of these boys take a hold of positions in the Bulldogs?

In the last few years we have had maybe two a season come in, but none really cement a place and set our hearts on fire except maybe Ward. I'm not talking your top five draft picks like Coon and Griff obviously.

Players like Reid, O'Keefe, Wood, Lynch and Roughead.

Maybe they nudge out a Eagleton, Minson even Hargraves.

Thoughts? I know the season hasn't even started yet, but you look for these positive romantic football predictions at this time of year.

hujsh
15-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Is this the year we see maybe three or four of these boys take a hold of positions in the Bulldogs?

In the last few years we have had maybe two a season come in, but none really cement a place and set our hearts on fire except maybe Ward. I'm not talking your top five draft picks like Coon and Griff obviously.

Players like Reid, O'Keefe, Wood, Lynch and Roughead.

Maybe they nudge out a Eagleton, Minson even Hargraves.

Thoughts? I know the season hasn't even started yet, but you look for these positive romantic football predictions at this time of year.

If they get 'nudged out' then they'd have to be doing pretty crap. Minson at 23 should be entering his prime and Hargrave at 27 would probably be in his prime now. To lose their spots to young players (don't see which one would take Hargrave's spot) would be a terrible sign for the team and almost certainly would lead to us declining.

TBB below is spot on about Hargrave

The Bulldogs Bite
15-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Hargrave is really underrated.

He had a great year in 08, he was one of our best performing defenders, and when he's allowed to play on defenders his own size he's very good.

He's FIRMLY in our best 22.

LostDoggy
15-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Dont get me wrong about Ryan. I think he's a great player. Not brilliant, but very solid and reliable. Just throwing up names of lesser known players in our side.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Dont get me wrong about Ryan. I think he's a great player. Not brilliant, but very solid and reliable. Just throwing up names of lesser known players in our side.

It's all based on form.

But I doubt whether Eagleton, Harbrow, Ward, Everitt, Tiller, Addison, Callan & Hill will play all 22 games. Most of them are reasonably young and/or on the fringe. Addison/Callan/Hill would all be a chance to play the majority, but I think they'll miss a couple at various stages.

If O'Keefe, Reid, Stack etc all play well enough, there will (likely) be a position for them at some stage to impress.

mjp
15-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Has Ward captured our heats because of outstanding play or because he comes from Spotswood?

GVGjr
15-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Has Ward captured our heats because of outstanding play or because he comes from Spotswood?

My guess is that it's neither of those things and the praise that is directed to him is mainly because he has a bucket load of ability.

LostDoggy
15-03-2009, 06:48 PM

He certainly has been radiant. ;)

The Coon Dog
15-03-2009, 06:52 PM

Or because a former coach pushed his name before our eyes much earlier than we otherwise might have been aware of him? ;)

LostDoggy
15-03-2009, 07:12 PM
It's all based on form.

But I doubt whether Eagleton, Harbrow, Ward, Everitt, Tiller, Addison, Callan & Hill will play all 22 games. Most of them are reasonably young and/or on the fringe. Addison/Callan/Hill would all be a chance to play the majority, but I think they'll miss a couple at various stages.

If O'Keefe, Reid, Stack etc all play well enough, there will (likely) be a position for them at some stage to impress.

I'm still not convinced Brennan Stack will get a regular game and is this may be his last year to try and have an impact before perhaps being de-listed. I've heard from a very good source that Rocket thinks Stack could be a good player but he, unfortunately, struggles with reading the game and getting into the right position. We'll just have to wait and see I guess...

IMO Harbrow, Ward, Addison, Callan & Hill will play most games this year with O'Keefe and Reid getting plenty of opportunities during the season.

Before I Die
15-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Ward clearly has talent and the belief that he will be a 200 gamer seems realistic. However, I think the hype has been a little too high relative to performance so far. Of course this is not his fault and if a few more of the draftees from 2008 and 2009 start to have an impact then a more realistic level of enthusiasm should be restored.

How does the saying go? Death and Taxes, Scapegoats and The Next Sure Thing. These are the certainties of Life and Footy Discussion Boards.

LostDoggy
15-03-2009, 07:27 PM

Puts his body on the line, and doesn't duck his head.

Not like someone else i have seen on our team.....

Sockeye Salmon
15-03-2009, 07:42 PM

Internet forum rule no. 1

Everyone's a superstar until they've played 20 games.

Internet forum rule no. 2

If they have played 20 games and they're not a superstar, they're a dud.

azabob
15-03-2009, 07:45 PM

Yeah it is kinda like the day after Draft day. Everyone is a champion who should've gone 20 picks earlier....

lemmon
15-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Im predicting a hint of second year blues from Ward this year. I just get the feeling he might not have the massive impact and push Eagleton out of the 22 as so many are prediciting. Just a question, where do you think he will end up playing? Hes very classy so he could easily slot in a HB role and has the build to play at HF or do you think he will be a mid. Personally i think he has all the attributes to be a star on baller im just not 100% convinced on his ability to find the ball and have high possesion games.

LostDoggy
15-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Is Ward is 18yo? Maybe 5 senior games so far? Second year blues would mean he plays less than that. I doubt it.
No one here expects him to dominate in his second year, just to continue improving.
Eagleton is on the decline, there is no know doubt they are in direct competition for a limited number of spots.

Mantis
15-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Puts his body on the line, and doesn't duck his head.

Not like someone else i have seen on our team.....

Name names.... I like it better that way.

LostDoggy
15-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Name names.... I like it better that way.

It's only one guy really, and it's one of the few things i hate about him.

Josh Hill.

Sockeye Salmon
15-03-2009, 09:10 PM
It's only one guy really, and it's one of the few things i hate about him.

Josh Hill.

You were supposed to say Eagleton.

Good answer all the same.

Before I Die
15-03-2009, 09:43 PM

Oh oh, looks like crunch time for the following quartet:

Everitt 17 games, Hill 19 games, Tiller 16 games, Williams 19 games

Happy Days
15-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Hargrave is really underrated.

He had a great year in 08, he was one of our best performing defenders, and when he's allowed to play on defenders his own size he's very good.

He's FIRMLY in our best 22.

Firmly agree.

He's one of those rare breeds who can play, and, at some times, excel on opposition forwards of all sizes.

Close to the first defender picked.

KT31
15-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Ward will be fine.
200 games is a long way off lets get to 50 then a 100 (at least we will get father son rule)
He had lots of pressures last year and coped very well (first year at AFL level and HSC)
From what I hear he is a very level headed kid.
Eade should be commended for not pushing him to hard.
I see him playing around a dozen games this year and a possible rising star nomination.
And in the finals he could be a unknown quantity.

KT31
15-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Firmly agree.

He's one of those rare breeds who can play, and, at some times, excel on opposition forwards of all sizes.

Close to the first defender picked.

Third picked after Lake and Gilbee.

Happy Days
15-03-2009, 11:44 PM

Hence the "close to" tag.

hujsh
15-03-2009, 11:50 PM

Fair to say that with Morris as well we've got a solid back 4.

Add a bit of Williams and it looks pretty good.

LostDoggy
16-03-2009, 12:58 AM
I think Morris would be first name down for the back line, on the team sheet each week.

Scorlibo
16-03-2009, 05:33 PM
I think Morris would be first name down for the back line, on the team sheet each week.

Well the back pocket always does :p

LostDoggy
16-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Well the back pocket always does :p

Well, that IS where you would normally keep your Glove.

Mofra
16-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Roughead was unstoppable in the ruck, barely lost a hit out and gave our guys first use. Not bad around the ground either. Had a massive head clash with a Coburg player - lets just say Roughie did not come off second best.
All upside with Roughead. Everything I've seen/heard/read about him has been positive. We may have snared a bargain - his tapwork was rated the best in the draft by a few draft watchers.

comrade
16-03-2009, 08:27 PM
All upside with Roughead. Everything I've seen/heard/read about him has been positive. We may have snared a bargain - his tapwork was rated the best in the draft by a few draft watchers.

It's obvious that I'm bullish about him, but I think Roughead will be close to our number 1 ruckman within 3 years. He seems to move better than big Will - most definitely helped by being a junior basketball champ. Will always looks a bit robotic to me, more brawn than athleticism. Perhaps Minson can take over Huddo's down and dirty approach when Ben retires and Roughead can fit the Cox/Hille mould. That would make a nice ruck mix.

If all goes well, Roughead will develop as we'd hope and Cordy can become a nightmare matchup at CHF with Grant at FF.

Before I Die
16-03-2009, 09:44 PM
This is the match report from the Williamstown Football Club website. Nothing really new, just confirms the early reports by WOOF posters.

Match Report - Practice Match V Coburg
Williamstown played Coburg Tigers in a Practice Match at Whitten Oval on Saturday 14th March in wet conditions. Coburg eventually won the game by 20 points after an inaccurate Williamstown kicked 1 goal 9 behinds in a wasteful third quarter.

Williamstown did not select regular senior players including Captain Brett Johnson, Jason Cloke and Scott Meyer. First year Western Bulldog draftees Ayce Cordy, Jordan Roughead and Jamason Daniels played with Roughead in particular played very impressively in th ruck with his spring and aggression. 2nd year players Sam Reid, Guy O'Keefe, Jarrad Grant, Easton Wood, Jarrad Boumann, Henry White and John Shaw all showed at times that they are capable of stepping up in 2009. Injury plagued Malcolm Lynch and Brennan Stack showed the benefit of a strong pre-season whilst Cameron Wight, Wayde Skipper and Liam Picken were solid contributors. Williamstown listed players Patrick Rose, Cameron Lockwood, Matthew Little and David Stretton had their first hit out for the season whilst Ben Jolley and Ben Davies indicated that they will be key players again in 2009. Youngsters Luke Cartelli and Mitchell Keddell again showed that they are capable of playing VFL Senior Football.

Next Saturday 21st March Williamstown plays Sandringham at the Trevor Barker Oval commencing at 2:00pm.

Williamstown 6.2 8.6 9.15 14.16 (100)

Coburg 4.1 9.1 12.4 19.6 (120)

Goalkickers -

Williamstown

O'Keefe 3, Grant 2, Rose 1, Lockwood 1, Little 1, Cartelli 1, Skipper 1, Stack 1, Lynch 1, White 1, Cordy 1

Coburg

Collins 5, Nahas 4, Polack 2, Thomson 2, Hislop 2, Gilligan 1, Allan 1, De Sousa 1, Gourdis 1

The Adelaide Connection
16-03-2009, 10:47 PM
How did Skipper go? Does anyone rate his chances this year, or is he purely an insurance policy?

I have read that he may get used across the forward line but would they pick him in a team with Minson who tends to get rotated through there?

GVGjr
16-03-2009, 10:55 PM
How did Skipper go? Does anyone rate his chances this year, or is he purely an insurance policy?

I have read that he may get used across the forward line but would they pick him in a team with Minson who tends to get rotated through there?

It's a hard question to answer. We are desperately thin on the ground for ruck options and Skipper does add some depth because Mulligan, Shaw and Roughead are unlikely to be ready for much senior action even if they were required.

We could play 3 ruckman as well which would obviously open up a spot for him.

LostDoggy
16-03-2009, 11:39 PM
I like this.

Williamstown
Skipper 1
Coburg
Gilligan 1

BulldogBelle
17-03-2009, 10:12 AM
hehe well spotted Ernie

LostDoggy
17-03-2009, 10:46 AM
So hang on, it just hit me.

The captain of the Dogs is Brad Johnson, and the captain of Willy, or Dogs reserves, is Brett Johnson?

Gotch wasn't kidding when he said he'd stick closely to the Rocket's gameplans.

The Coon Dog
17-03-2009, 10:53 AM
So hang on, it just hit me.

The captain of the Dogs is Brad Johnson, and the captain of Willy, or Dogs reserves, is Brett Johnson?

Gotch wasn't kidding when he said he'd stick closely to the Rocket's gameplans.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0eeibYSemu2MA/610x.jpg