PDA

View Full Version : Freo?

Dry Rot
16-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Anyone got any intel on how Freo are looking for round one? Injuries/underdone players/new tactics etc?

The Underdog
16-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Anyone got any intel on how Freo are looking for round one? Injuries/underdone players/new tactics etc?

Sounds like a job for our WA correspondents?
Although I know Headland is out for sure.
While I don't rate Freo outside of WA, I'm not super confident about us notching up a win over there. We tend to struggle at Subi and were pretty lucky to get over them last year.

LostDoggy
16-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Solomon out round 1 (suspended)

And this injury info;

Headland, 28, is expected to join forwards Chris Mayne (calf) and Hayden Ballantyne (wrist) on the sidelines when the Dockers launch the new premiership season.

ledge
16-03-2009, 04:24 PM
They beat Carlton pretty easy in the last practice match if that means anything.

Rocket Science
16-03-2009, 05:09 PM
There's some comments relating to this in the 'First Round Side Prediction (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4394)' thread

In terms of structure/tactics, they've been trialling resident defender Antoni Grover up forward with mixed results, along with Tarrant in the backline to more positive effect...Can't vouch for his defensive nous but physically at least Tarrant strikes me as a worthwhile match-up for Bob Murphy on paper. He was serviceable on Fevola in their win over Carlton from all accounts, but also pinch-hit up forward as required.

With Farmer gone and intriguing but unproven goalsneak Ballantyne out, they're often lamenting a lack of genuine/dedicated crumbing forwards, which might be a means of exploiting them on the rebound once the ball hits the deck.

Prospective fresh faces for them against us include exciting mid-come-small-forward Stephen Hill who they're extremely bullish about and justifiably so, as well as versatile back flanker Nick Suban. Rookie defender Greg Broughton's also an outside chance now he's been elevated, along with mid Matt DeBoer, the latter incidentally compares himself to Daniel Cross (tireless runner, wiry but hard at it, sub par by foot). I think DeBoer's carried niggles lately though so a Round 1 gig might be

Hasleby's basically a new recruit for them and should at least provide what Carr gave them last season, and likely more as he get more game time into his legs...and there's considerable talk/expectation about Mundy seriously stepping up his game up this season, and to a lesser extent Schammer.

lemmon
16-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Stop Pavlich, stop Freo IMO, without him I question their ability to kick goals. We have a clearly superior midfield and our forward line should be able to get on top. Sandilands though could have a big factor in this one, I think its a given going into this game that we are going to get smashed in the hitouts we really need Mino and Hudson to hurt him around the ground.

LostDoggy
16-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Good midfield. Rhys Palmer is a gun. Sandilands big factor.
Good defence - rate Grover, Ibbotson, McPharlin.
Pav is not easy to stop under any circumstances - easily among the top 5 players in the league.

Reasonably strong structure, actually, with some inconsistent good players like Tarrant.

I know I've been laughed at for suggesting this in another thread, but I see them as the potential 'sleeper' threat for the top 6 or 8 this year. By the same token, they are just as likely to win the wooden spoon, such is the nature of Freo, but I think the combination of being underestimated, strong home ground advantage, and a reasonable (if underperforming) list with a second year coach... they'll surprise a few.

lemmon
16-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Good midfield. Rhys Palmer is a gun. Sandilands big factor.
Good defence - rate Grover, Ibbotson, McPharlin.
Pav is not easy to stop under any circumstances - easily among the top 5 players in the league.

Reasonably strong structure, actually, with some inconsistent good players like Tarrant.

I know I've been laughed at for suggesting this in another thread, but I see them as the potential 'sleeper' threat for the top 6 or 8 this year. By the same token, they are just as likely to win the wooden spoon, such is the nature of Freo, but I think the combination of being underestimated, strong home ground advantage, and a reasonable (if underperforming) list with a second year coach... they'll surprise a few.

Thats the problem with Freo, there's no black and white its all grey. You could just as easily say that Palmer hasnt played sustained good football for a long enough period, he has to do it again. Sandilands is inconsistent. There defence is average with Hayden and Mcpharlin holding it down. Tarrant has had one good year but has done nothing else. Cant argue with Pavlich though, the guys a champ.

ledge
16-03-2009, 08:24 PM
If only we had Pav.

The Adelaide Connection
16-03-2009, 10:41 PM
For me Freo, as well as Port Adelaide, should be the bolters up the ladder this year. Both should have had big years last year but seemed to fall in a heap when the game was there to be won.

Rounds 5-9 for Freo could have really set up their year but instead probably ended up shattering their confidence and fragile mental toughness (5 losses, 3 under a kick and all under 20). All up they had 11 games end with a margin of about two goals for one win and ten losses.

I also think that Freo are a bit like Liverpool, for any EPL fans out there, seem to get themselves up for the big teams but get towelled a week later by teams at the foot of the ladder. Personally I think it is a tough first up task to go over there and they may just get off to a good start that they particularly need to have a good year.

It has been said before...stop Pavlich.

lemmon
16-03-2009, 10:48 PM
I agree with Port being bolters, there list is decent and if Tredrea has a big year Im going to suggest the ludicrous and suggest they could even pick up 4th place. Treadra and Carlile are there two most important players, without them the spine looks average. IMO Chad Cornes should be played at either CHF or CHB he just straightens them up a bit and adds a touch of class to a fairly depleted spine.

The Underdog
16-03-2009, 11:00 PM
I agree with Port being bolters, there list is decent and if Tredrea has a big year Im going to suggest the ludicrous and suggest they could even pick up 4th place. Treadra and Carlile are there two most important players, without them the spine looks average. IMO Chad Cornes should be played at either CHF or CHB he just straightens them up a bit and adds a touch of class to a fairly depleted spine.

Tredrea's gone but their midfield is potentially awesome. 2 x Cornes, 2 x Burgoyne's, Boak, Salopek, Pearce and Rodan. I did say potentially though. There's half a chance they can't all be arsed turning up at the same time.
Freo have always got the potential and talent to have a big year, but they ain't Richmond West for nothing.

lemmon
16-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Tredrea's gone but their midfield is potentially awesome. 2 x Cornes, 2 x Burgoyne's, Boak, Salopek, Pearce and Rodan. I did say potentially though. There's half a chance they can't all be arsed turning up at the same time.
Freo have always got the potential and talent to have a big year, but they ain't Richmond West for nothing.
I wouldnt write off Tredrea yet, massive pre season and is supposedly refreshed and focused on football after giving up the captaincy. Has had some good pre-season form as well.

Bulldog Revolution
17-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Is Hill the left footed aboriginal I have seen kicking a few goals in their highlights of their preseason games?

Rocket Science
17-03-2009, 02:22 AM
Probably wasn't Hill..

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5282/majstephenhill3gallery3.jpg

Might have been Casey Sibosado, also taken in the 08 draft.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2356/caseysibosadodraft246a.jpg

LostDoggy
17-03-2009, 10:39 AM
SIBO!!!

The kid is going to be a gun.

Bulldog Revolution
17-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Cheers Rocket Science - I think it was Hill, looked a likely mover and a nice kick

Rocket Science
17-03-2009, 02:49 PM
No probs. Freo fans are in raptures over this kid so far, with suggestions of an almost Judd-like ability to extract himself from traffic with speed...Take with the usual grain of salt.

LostDoggy
17-03-2009, 02:55 PM
I have big concerns about us getting up for this game. We have a few crucial players that are underdone and a few more that won't be risked due to the travel, this is not a good combo when travelling to Perth.

Freo seem to be up and about this pre season and have a big injection of speed and youth, that can go one of either ways for us.

LostDoggy
17-03-2009, 06:40 PM
I have big concerns about us getting up for this game. We have a few crucial players that are underdone and a few more that won't be risked due to the travel, this is not a good combo when travelling to Perth.

Freo seem to be up and about this pre season and have a big injection of speed and youth, that can go one of either ways for us.

Dont know about Freo being up and about. They got smashed in their earlier games. Then beat a travel weary Carlton who came off a few tough weeks.

LostDoggy
17-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Does anyone know how Clayton Hinkley's going? Is he a possible round 1 inclusion?

bulldogsman
17-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Does anyone know how Clayton Hinkley's going? Is he a possible round 1 inclusion?

The word is he's in the best 25 players, not sure if in the best 22

Ozza
18-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Its very unlikely Tarrant will actually play down back in the season proper.
He played on a good mate of mine in the Nth Melbourne praccy and he said Tarrant didn't seem interested in playing down back and didn't bother going with him most of the time - just looked for his own footy.

North won that game by 97 points - and apparently Freo really weren't missing that many players.

LostDoggy
18-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Its very unlikely Tarrant will actually play down back in the season proper.
He played on a good mate of mine in the Nth Melbourne praccy and he said Tarrant didn't seem interested in playing down back and didn't bother going with him most of the time - just looked for his own footy.

North won that game by 97 points - and apparently Freo really weren't missing that many players.

^^^

This report of Tarrant's performance reminds me of some wedding advice I've heard given by a particularly misogynistic father to his son:

"The first time you get asked to do the dishes, do a really, really bad job. That way you'll never be asked to do the dishes again."

Looks like Chris doesn't want to play defence.

Ozza
18-03-2009, 11:06 AM
^^

Haha - good analogy. That seems pretty close to the mark!

azabob
18-03-2009, 01:18 PM
^^^

This report of Tarrant's performance reminds me of some wedding advice I've heard given by a particularly misogynistic father to his son:

"The first time you get asked to do the dishes, do a really, really bad job. That way you'll never be asked to do the dishes again."

Looks like Chris doesn't want to play defence.

Didn't Pagan also try that with Fevola on Gehrig? Fevola also followed the same advice...

LostDoggy
18-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Dont know about Freo being up and about. They got smashed in their earlier games. Then beat a travel weary Carlton who came off a few tough weeks.

If that's your anaology, then what does that say about our side?

LostDoggy
18-03-2009, 07:34 PM
If that's your anaology, then what does that say about our side?

Did anyone mention the dogs are up and about? Nope!

LostDoggy
18-03-2009, 08:06 PM
The word is he's in the best 25 players, not sure if in the best 22

ok thanks

LostDoggy
18-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Did anyone mention the dogs are up and about? Nope!

Ah, I think you'll find it's been the coach's party line throughout the praccy game series.

Freo will be primed for round one, a win at home to kick their season off will mean everything to them. Whilst I'm sure we'll give it a crack, I fear that we are a little under done with a few players carrying niggles.

Always happy to be proven wrong, though.

Higgo2Coon2Grif
19-03-2009, 11:08 AM
We haven't lost a round one game since West Coast defeated us in 2004. We've got a great round one record, and we're undefeated in round one games under Rocket. Hopefully we get off to a flier and belt the living daylights out of Freo.

I don't rate Freo one bit and think it's out of them and Melbourne for the Wooden Spoon. The Dockers are hugely overrated.

One player I can see turning it on against us is (don't laugh) - Kepler Bradley. Seriously, wait and see.

Ozza
19-03-2009, 12:55 PM
We haven't lost a round one game since West Coast defeated us in 2004. We've got a great round one record, and we're undefeated in round one games under Rocket. Hopefully we get off to a flier and belt the living daylights out of Freo.

I don't rate Freo one bit and think it's out of them and Melbourne for the Wooden Spoon. The Dockers are hugely overrated.

One player I can see turning it on against us is (don't laugh) - Kepler Bradley. Seriously, wait and see.

10 possies in the first qrtr against us last year...

Sockeye Salmon
19-03-2009, 02:50 PM

If we lose against Freo it will be your fault for tempting fate.

The Underdog
19-03-2009, 02:54 PM
If we lose against Freo it will be your fault for tempting fate.

That's the kind of olde time footy superstition that I miss in summer. It's nearly time for me to sit in the same position without moving while we've got a run on, get the lucky socks out until we lose and I change them and work out a decent rotation for the different jumper's, beanies, tops which will take us to premiership glory.

lemmon
19-03-2009, 10:15 PM

IMO hes going to have a big year playin 2nd ruck to Sandilands.Saw a few late games last year and he looked very good, was mobile and combined well with the pure tap ability of Sandilands.

LostDoggy
21-03-2009, 01:23 PM
That's the kind of olde time footy superstition that I miss in summer. It's nearly time for me to sit in the same position without moving while we've got a run on, get the lucky socks out until we lose and I change them and work out a decent rotation for the different jumper's, beanies, tops which will take us to premiership glory.

Arghh!! What do you mean 'olde time superstition'? That's how it works!

Now I'm going to have to stand up and touch my toes and turn anti-clockwise ten times to make up for your offending the fates. No need to thank me, just buy me two beers, one each at quarter time and three quarter time (never at half time), leaving your seat one minute after the siren each time and carrying the beers always in your left hand.

LostDoggy
21-03-2009, 01:25 PM
IMO hes going to have a big year playin 2nd ruck to Sandilands.Saw a few late games last year and he looked very good, was mobile and combined well with the pure tap ability of Sandilands.

I think it's all up in the head with Kepler. If it clicks he's always had the talent, but boy does he go missing mentally for large chunks of games.

ledge
21-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Good to see Essendon teach him the trade, gotta love how they did all the hard work and Freo take the benefits.

Scraggers
23-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Good to see Essendon teach him the trade, gotta love how they did all the hard work and Freo take the benefits.

Thats a double edged sword Ledge ... Jeff White ... Jess Sinclair ... Troy Longmuir ... Paul Medhurst ... Brodie Holland ... Leigh Brown ... Graham Polak ... the list goes on !

I think Freo, above all other clubs have lost/traded/released more talented footballers (that have gone on to do more at their next club) than any other AFL team

Rocket Science
23-03-2009, 02:32 AM
Thats a double edged sword Ledge ... Jeff White ... Jess Sinclair ... Troy Longmuir ... Paul Medhurst ... Brodie Holland ... Leigh Brown ... Graham Polak ... the list goes on !

I think Freo, above all other clubs have lost/traded/released more talented footballers (that have gone on to do more at their next club) than any other AFL team

Not forgetting the pièce de résistance: Andrew McLeod

Bulldog Revolution
23-03-2009, 09:43 AM

James Clement, Adam McPhee

It's not a great look for a footy club to have consistently traded guys for them to perform better elsewhere

Desipura
23-03-2009, 10:51 AM

Don't forget Peter Bell. He had only played 2 games before Freo traded him to Nth where he established himself and played his best footy playing in a winning grand final, winning best and fairest etc etc.
Just because he was able to come back and play for Freo means nothing as they had to pay "big time" to get him back

Go_Dogs
23-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Don't forget Peter Bell.

Or Andrew McLeod.

azabob
23-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Don't forget Peter Bell. He had only played 2 games before Freo traded him to Nth where he established himself and played his best footy playing in a winning grand final, winning best and fairest etc etc.
Just because he was able to come back and play for Freo means nothing as they had to pay "big time" to get him back

IMO I never understood why they let Brad Wira go to us either.

hujsh
23-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Not forgetting the pièce de résistance: Andrew McLeod

And a shot at one of Judd or Hodge

Scraggers
24-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Needing to win season opener is a 'myth', says Freo skipper (http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,25229711-5005401,00.html)

Michael Washbourne
March 23, 2009 03:30pm

FREMANTLE skipper Matthew Pavlich says it's a "myth" that clubs need to win the first game of the season to be successful for the rest of the year.

The Dockers have lost their last three season-openers and have failed to make the finals in two of those years.

Pavlich said winning against the Western Bulldogs this Sunday was the ideal result, but believes it won’t hold any bearing on their finals prospects.

“Obviously we want to play well and win the game of football, but there is a bit of a myth out there,” he said.

“There are 22 weeks and it’s a very long season.

“Of course, we would like to build momentum early and start to get these young guys playing and showing some really good form.”

Fremantle lost 10 of their first 11 games last season after president Rick Hart tipped the club to be a genuine premiership threat at the club’s season launch.

Hart has made no such predictions this year and many expert commentators have tipped the Dockers to miss the finals for the 13th time in 15 seasons.

In yesterday’s The Sunday Times’ AFL season guide, just four of the 18 expert tipsters picked Fremantle to make the final eight.

Pavlich said a win would help build momentum for future rounds.

“It’s all about momentum throughout different stages of the year,” he said.

“We’d love to get off to a good start as every team would. There’s no question about that.

“But we’re realistic. It may take a bit of time to get our game plan exactly right.”

Defender Luke McPharlin is expected to be available for the clash with the Bulldogs after missing the past few training sessions due to general soreness.

But young forward Chris Mayne is unlikely to play as he recovers from a pre-season ankle injury.

Mayne is expected to return to competitive football through Perth in the WAFL competition, possibly as early as this week.

Pavlich said the club, who have lost the services of several experienced players including former captains Peter Bell and Shaun McManus, was excited about the season ahead.

“The real stuff’s here,” he said. “It’s exciting and there’s different personnel.

“But the feeling’s still the same and there’s enough energy out there regardless of the age of the guys.

“We’re just confident that we’ve done enough work at this point to have a really good solid base behind us.

“What happens next is going to be the measure of our success.”

Brownlow medallist Adam Cooney and skilled forward Robert Murphy are under injury clouds for the Bulldogs, but Pavlich said the Dockers will be preparing for their presence at Subiaco Oval on Sunday.

“The great thing about the Bulldogs is they’ve got a really balanced midfield,” he said.

“We will prepare for those two players and we’re really looking forward to the challenge of a top four side from last year.”

Top draft picks Stephen Hill and Nick Suban as well as recently-promoted rookie Greg Broughton are all in contention to make their debuts for the club after encouraging pre-seasons.

/\/\/\/\/\
I love the fact that Pav has given this game away already

bornadog
24-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Its going to be a hot one over there on Sunday, so hope it doesn't take too much out of the players.

Scraggers
24-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Its going to be a hot one over there on Sunday, so hope it doesn't take too much out of the players.

How many WOOFers are coming over for the game ??

Mantis
24-03-2009, 02:19 PM

The club has planned it's training over the past 6 weeks so that it is ready to take on Freo in 'hot' conditions. I am sure they have left no stone un-turned in readying the players for the game and the subsequent recovery for the following week.

You would think that we will probably make a few changes for the following game to allow us to bring in a couple of 'fresh' players.

LostDoggy
24-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Pretty bizarre comments from Pavlich. Seems like he's echoing that sense of mediocrity that has allowed Freo to be a laughing stock for some time now. Stupid thing to say as a leader at a club looking to bounce back, so I'm glad he did it! Even though we all know winning Round 1 makes SFA difference in the overall trajectory of the season - you should be looking at every game as 4 points up for grabs and always want to win it.

Rocket Science
24-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Not sure there's any glaring concession of defeat in there...

Simply sounds like Pavlich is being mildly candid about a team in transition, with new strategies and personnel, who like most outfits are about to embark upon a new campaign full of unknowns and as a consequence don't reasonably expect to be in peak form and firing on all cylinders in round one of a twenty two round season.

The article and his responses really revolve around their first round 'hoodoo' and people looking to stick a fork in Freo's season should they drop their opener...they can surely wait until round six or seven for that.

LostDoggy
25-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Freo Injury List

Des Headland (calf) 1-2 weeks
Chris Mayne (ankle) 1-2 weeks
Hayden Ballantyne (wrist) 2-3 weeks
Ben Bucovaz (hip) 3-4 weeks
Brent Connelly (hip) 3-4 weeks

LostDoggy
25-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Whoever gets Ryan Crowley needs to pay extra care when he sneaks forward.Crowley has been one of the comps form players this preseason.

Wouldn't suprise me to see Crowley become leagues best run wth player and push for a All Australian spot this yr.

Desipura
25-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Whoever gets Ryan Crowley needs to pay extra care when he sneaks forward.Crowley has been one of the comps form players this preseason.

Wouldn't suprise me to see Crowley become leagues best run wth player and push for a All Australian spot this yr.
Jerry, pre season form does not count for much IMHO. Who did he tag in preseason? Lets see when the real stuff starts if his form carries through..........

azabob
25-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Jerry, pre season form does not count for much IMHO. Who did he tag in preseason? Lets see when the real stuff starts if his form carries through..........

I think Jerry raises a good point, Crowely did some nice work last year and if he's added goal kicking to his game, its something you need to watch.
If Grant had been kicking 5 goals a game in the pre season we'd be all over it saying how great it is. Good form has to start somewhere, and the pre season is as good as place as any.

LostDoggy
25-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Crowley has always looked one of the more likely types in the Freo lineup.

Re: Pav's comments -- probably a calculated move by the club to take some of the pressure of the younger players -- nothing to lose, they're playing a preliminary finalist that finished third last year. Freo would be silly to talk up their chances. If they win it would be a huge morale boost for them. If they lose, well, they can say it wasn't unexpected. Clubs never have to talk to the media these days if they don't want to -- when they come out with carefully prepared (despite appearances to the contrary) statements like that it's usually with an agenda (nothing sinister, just protecting their players).

Throughandthrough
26-03-2009, 12:29 AM
How many WOOFers are coming over for the game ??

Me!

me!

Me!

And the German club after

Scraggers
26-03-2009, 03:04 AM
Me!

me!

Me!

And the German club after

make it the Irish Club and I'll see you there ... probably best to go before the game though ... as it is a twilight game very few people will hang around after the match

LostDoggy
26-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Anyone else annoyed by how very few Melbourne pubs seems to show footy with sound on anymore?

Haven't connected Foxtel at my new pad as yet, and of course have to rely on a boozer or a mates place usually to catch our Foxtel games.

So what are some good boozers around town or inner Melbourne that actually show games with sound?

Rocket Science
26-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Will confess this to be long-standing passion of mine and like-minded mates...A good 'footy-friendly' pub is both a rare and indispensible thing these days.

The Rose Hotel, Napier St Fitzroy is a time-honoured standout...honest food, multiple teevs and a demonstrated commitment to the footy. Can get a shade crowded for Fri/Sat night games but when three quarters of the joint is there for the game it's akin to being in the outer.

Another tucked away gem is the Grandview in Pearson St, West Brunswick...more low key than The Rose if you prefer to simply sit and watch your team get flogged in relative peace.

The Royal Oak, cnr Nicholson and Freeman in Fitzroy Nth is another solid option...big screen, standard pub grub and no nonsense...the joint actually smells like a pub used to.

Percy's (ex-Blue Percy Jones' joint), cnr Lygon and Elgin goes alright if you can land some real estate near the telly...you may have to (politely) ask Perc' to move over though.

The Moreland, cnr Sydney & Moreland Rd Coburg is nothing flash but a goer...also inhabited by some amusingly shonky punters if you're into people watching.

If you can stand the pissed moron element there's also The Quarry up the Brunswick end of Lygon Street...strictly in the 'avoid unless desperate' category.

Over the other side of town The Royal in Barkly St, Footscray can also get the job done in a pinch.

The Underdog
26-03-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm way out in the south eastern suburbs and there's bugger all decent places to watch footy that I've found.
I went to the local pub to watch the Docker's game last year and it was on a tiny TV with the sound off. I left at half time, it was better on the radio.

Sockeye Salmon
26-03-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm way out in the south eastern suburbs and there's bugger all decent places to watch footy that I've found.
I went to the local pub to watch the Docker's game last year and it was on a tiny TV with the sound off. I left at half time, it was better on the radio.

I go to the Matthew Flinders in Warrigul Rd if I've got my little bloke with me because of the playground. No sound but that's not always a bad thing.

Ozza
26-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Will confess this to be long-standing passion of mine and like-minded mates...A good 'footy-friendly' pub is both a rare and indispensible thing these days.

The Rose Hotel, Napier St Fitzroy is a time-honoured standout...honest food, multiple teevs and a demonstrated commitment to the footy. Can get a shade crowded for Fri/Sat night games but when three quarters of the joint is there for the game it's akin to being in the outer.

Another tucked away gem is the Grandview in Pearson St, West Brunswick...more low key than The Rose if you prefer to simply sit and watch your team get flogged in relative peace.

The Royal Oak, cnr Nicholson and Freeman in Fitzroy Nth is another solid option...big screen, standard pub grub and no nonsense...the joint actually smells like a pub used to.

Percy's (ex-Blue Percy Jones' joint), cnr Lygon and Elgin goes alright if you can land some real estate near the telly...you may have to (politely) ask Perc' to move over though.

The Moreland, cnr Sydney & Moreland Rd Coburg is nothing flash but a goer...also inhabited by some amusingly shonky punters if you're into people watching.

If you can stand the pissed moron element there's also The Quarry up the Brunswick end of Lygon Street...strictly in the 'avoid unless desperate' category.

Over the other side of town The Royal in Barkly St, Footscray can also get the job done in a pinch.

Thanks for the tip on the Grandview - I'll be living about 50 metres from there in about 18 months time - so good to know there's a good footy pub nearby.

I don't think I could watch the footy at the Moreland ever again though! For a pot or two and a punt its fine - but couldn't watch the footy there again!

Rocket Science
26-03-2009, 05:06 PM
No probs at all...Grandview's also been known to indulge in the odd 'lock-in' if you're suitably behaved and partial to a drink after official closing hours. Run by a very accommodating bunch.

LostDoggy
26-03-2009, 05:45 PM
UNDERDOG, re: South-Eastern suburbs... What's the name of the place on the corner of Dandenong Rd and Glenferrie Rd? May be a TAB.. It's a pretty good one -- quiet and tired, but it's usually quite empty and they turn up the volume of anything you ask them to because there's no one to hassle.

Watched last year's Freo game there actually, so pretty timely...

Never been to it, but there's also the Zegame's they always advertise on SEN on Dandenong Rd.

I'm usually at the Richmond pubs. They all show footy. But I'm in West Footscray for the next couple of months, so local Doggy pubs for me!

ps. Is there anywhere at the Whitten Oval showing it? The Social Club is closed/gone right?

Sockeye Salmon
26-03-2009, 06:13 PM
UNDERDOG, re: South-Eastern suburbs... What's the name of the place on the corner of Dandenong Rd and Glenferrie Rd? May be a TAB.. It's a pretty good one -- quiet and tired, but it's usually quite empty and they turn up the volume of anything you ask them to because there's no one to hassle.

Watched last year's Freo game there actually, so pretty timely...

Never been to it, but there's also the Zegame's they always advertise on SEN on Dandenong Rd.

I'm usually at the Richmond pubs. They all show footy. But I'm in West Footscray for the next couple of months, so local Doggy pubs for me!

ps. Is there anywhere at the Whitten Oval showing it? The Social Club is closed/gone right?

Zagames advertise their Kids club but the playground is around the corner from the TV. You can either watch the kids or the game but not both at once.

azabob
26-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Zagames advertise their Kids club but the playground is around the corner from the TV. You can either watch the kids or the game but not both at once.

Isn't that what those big ball pits are for?

ledge
26-03-2009, 08:29 PM
For those around St albans, Keilor Downs etc, i go to the sports bar at the Watergardens pub, watched a couple of games at the Old Keilor pub too.
The old Keilor has a kids area.
Taylors Lakes pub isnt too bad either.

always right
27-03-2009, 12:21 AM

Try the Mulgrave Country Club on the corner of Wellington Rd and Jells Rd. There's a good size private room with a decent size screen. Normally a few doggie supporters there to keep you company.

The Underdog
27-03-2009, 12:22 AM
I go to the Matthew Flinders in Warrigul Rd if I've got my little bloke with me because of the playground. No sound but that's not always a bad thing.

I'll keep it in mind. My young'uns still borderline age for play equipment, especially late in the day and it's still a good 30 minute drive but there's sfa around me.

LostDoggy
27-03-2009, 10:55 AM

Isn't that what the missus is for.

Kidding!

Sockeye Salmon
27-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Isn't that what the missus is for.

Kidding!

Missus is a nurse who works some very inconvenient shofts!

Edit: I just wrote 'shofts' instead of 'shifts' and my missus is a Kiwi. That's funny.

LostDoggy
27-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Missus is a nurse who works some very inconvenient shofts!

Edit: I just wrote 'shofts' instead of 'shifts' and my missus is a Kiwi. That's funny.

Haha. I'm hanging out with a Kiwi bloke today, so it's pretty topical.

Hospitals are usually pretty good places for free cable isn't it? Your missus doesn't have Foxtel where she is? I grew up in a hospital (both parents were docs) and spent a lot of time around hospital staff rooms.

I remember when I had my knee reco (done by the same bloke who did Luke Darcy's knee, a week after Luke had his first one done...) just watching ESPN and Foxsports from my hospital bed all day.

bornadog
27-03-2009, 11:48 AM
East West Club is having a get together at the Mulgrave Country Club to watch the match

LostDoggy
27-03-2009, 03:07 PM

Big-ups for the suggestions mate.

Considering a boozer in Willy or Yarraville at this stage. I know that the Vic Inn on Dougie Parade is a Doggies pub so it's a fairly safe bet. A shame there's nothing in the Flemington area really. I would much rather prefer stumbling home after necking pints watching my beloved Scraggers. Forget the name of the joint in Yarraville, it's a dive - but really I'm only there to catch a game for a couple hours. Either one of those two methinks.

The Underdog
27-03-2009, 03:15 PM
East West Club is having a get together at the Mulgrave Country Club to watch the match

Is that the one near the former VFL Park on Wellington Rd?

bornadog
27-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Is that the one near the former VFL Park on Wellington Rd?

yes, thats the one.

http://www.mulgravecc.com.au/