PDA

View Full Version : Inside Footys - Bulldogs Best 22

GVGjr
18-03-2009, 04:19 PM
This is how Inside Footy sees the Dogs best 22 for the 2009 season.

Backs: Addison, Lake, Hargrave
HBacks: Gilbee, Williams, Morris
Centers: Higgins, Cross, Giansiracusa
HFwrds: Murphy, Hahn, Akermanis
Forwards: Welsh, Johnson, Harbrow
Rucks: Hudson, Cooney, Griffen
Interchange: Minson, Boyd, Hill, Ward

No Tim Callan however, in their profile of him they say anything less than 22 games would be a disappointment.
No Everitt, Eagleton and Tiller in their best 22 either.

They rank our players this year:
1 - Cooney (4LY)
2 - Lake (6)
3 - Cross (3)
4 - Gilbee (7)
5 - Morris (17)
6 - Hahn (14)
7 - Giansiracusa (8)
8 - Murphy (10)
9 - Johnson (1)
10 - Griffen (9)

11 - 30
Hudson, Boyd, Akermanis, Higgins, Hargrave, Welsh, Williams, Harbrow, Minson, Callan, Hill, Addison, Eagleton, Ward, Everitt, Tiller, Wight, Lynch, Reid and Skipper.

LostDoggy
18-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Just about spot on from my perspective. Pretty much identical to my Round 1 side (I had Everitt in since Williams won't play, and Callan in for either Ward or Harbrow based on structure/balance). Eagle and Tiller should definitely not be in top 22 if everyone is up and firing, but competition for places is not a bad thing.

Top 10 is pretty spot on too.

WELL, Inside Footy is where all the real analysts are hiding.

LostDoggy
18-03-2009, 05:14 PM
I also can't fault it

Bulldog Revolution
18-03-2009, 05:23 PM
I dont think the 22 is all that surprising, but they've got Callan rated higher than Addison in the rankings yet not selected in the 22

Williams is the huge X-Factor. Obviously its mainly the edges where there is any argument, and it probably depends on form and fitness whether Hill, Harbrow, Tiller, Everitt, Eagle and Ward are part of the 22. As much as others hate it Eagle has been for a long time, but many have predicted 09 as the end of his road.

Very surprising that they have rated Hahn as 6th, and it seems odd that Griffen would have slipped a spot

I find it a bit odd that Griffen, Murphy, Giansiracusa, Hudson, Boyd, Hargrave etc are rated lower than Hahn

I hope Mitch has a great season but hes yet to consistently produce this type of form.

Scorlibo
18-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Yea that's actually quite good, I think by seasons end Griffen and Higgins will be higher in their rankings than what they are now, but if that's going on last year then thats a very accurate assessment imo.

Dry Rot
18-03-2009, 05:39 PM
This is how Inside Footy sees the Dogs best 22 for the 2009 season.

Backs: Addison, Lake, Hargrave
HBacks: Gilbee, Williams, Morris
Centers: Higgins, Cross, Giansiracusa
HFwrds: Murphy, Hahn, Akermanis
Forwards: Welsh, Johnson, Harbrow
Rucks: Hudson, Cooney, Griffen
Interchange: Minson, Boyd, Hill, Ward

Seems any variation on that at start 2009 would be Williams (if fit) v Tiller v Everitt; Addison v Callan and Ward v Eagleton.

Hypothetical: fast forward to PF 2009 vs say Geelong, assume on injuries (not a good assumption).

Would you think that it would be the same team in the quote, or would you expect any young guys to displace a senior guy? eg say Grant for Welsh.

GVGjr
18-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Seems any variation on that at start 2009 would be Williams (if fit) v Tiller v Everitt; Addison v Callan and Ward v Eagleton.

Hypothetical: fast forward to PF 2009 vs say Geelong, assume on injuries (not a good assumption).

Would you think that it would be the same team in the quote, or would you expect any young guys to displace a senior guy? eg say Grant for Welsh.

I doubt we will line up in round one like this as there is still too many doubts on injured players.
Come finals time my guess is that the senior players would be looked upon more favorably so perhaps this is the sort of side we might have once the finals commence.
What they put together seemed to have a high focus on experienced players.

In my opinion, Grant is still a way off being much more than a 5 to 7 game player this season but typically there is always someone who comes from nowhere and really establishes themselves in the seniors like Hill did. Perhaps it could be O'Keefe but I can't see too many of the young talls on our list making a huge impression this year in the seniors.

azabob
18-03-2009, 08:07 PM
I still don't think Harbrow is in our best 22. I'd prefer to see Tim Callan in the side. And maybe Tiller and Ward to fight out the last spot.
GVGjn what are your thoughts on the "best 22" as you posted the thread?

GVGjr
18-03-2009, 08:13 PM
I still don't think Harbrow is in our best 22. I'd prefer to see Tim Callan in the side. And maybe Tiller and Ward to fight out the last spot.
GVGjn what are your thoughts on the "best 22" as you posted the thread?

I think there is just a couple of errors mainly not having Everitt and Callan in the 22.

The forward line looks underdone without Minson as a key forward.

I think our round one side will look a little different.

azabob
18-03-2009, 08:20 PM
I think there is just a couple of errors mainly not having Everitt and Callan in the 22.

The forward line looks underdone without Minson as a key forward.

I think our round one side will look a little different.

Fair call, who would you have them replace?
How would you change up the forward line? Personally I thought Tiller should've been playing there last year.

What about Everitt as a forward? I hope they try that experiment at Williamstown.

Mofra
18-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Only query I'd have is whether Ward's 6 games puts him in our best 22. Personally, I'd have Tim Callan in the BP, Addison on the Bench, and Ward as an emergency with perhaps Everitt & Eagleton.

GVGjr
18-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Fair call, who would you have them replace?
How would you change up the forward line? Personally I thought Tiller should've been playing there last year.

What about Everitt as a forward? I hope they try that experiment at Williamstown.

Very hard to say but the doubtful ones for a variety of reasons (like experience, injury concerns and structure) are Welsh, Williams, Ward, Harbrow and Addison.

I think Everitt as a defender is required but which one of the other defenders gets moved into another. Callan makes the 22 because he is one of the teachers pets.
I don't mind Tiller but he might need to be tried as a forward again because the back line has a few similar types.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Only query I'd have is whether Ward's 6 games puts him in our best 22. Personally, I'd have Tim Callan in the BP, Addison on the Bench, and Ward as an emergency with perhaps Everitt & Eagleton.

Spot on I think that Callan in the BP, Gilbee to the wing, Gia FP Harbrow to the pine and Ward to miss out but infront of Eagle.

The Coon Dog
18-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Callan to the back pocket is fine, so long as he has a match up. He's much better equipped to handle speedy forward pocket such as Davey, Thomas, Campbell, Rioli & Milne. He would have been ideal on Farmer if he was still at Freo, with that in mind, he may miss round 1.

Mantis
18-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Very hard to say but the doubtful ones for a variety of reasons (like experience, injury concerns and structure) are Welsh, Williams, Ward, Harbrow and Addison.

I think Everitt as a defender is required but which one of the other defenders gets moved into another. Callan makes the 22 because he is one of the teachers pets.

I don't mind Tiller but he might need to be tried as a forward again because the back line has a few similar types.

Do you think he should be?

A teachers pet that is.

GVGjr
19-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Do you think he should be?

A teachers pet that is.

I think he has his nose in front of guys like Addison for a spot so he should play if fit.

Regarding the teachers pet tag, I suppose in reality the tag is a bit harsh. It's probably a case that he won the coach over with his training attitude and ethic and now has a few credits in the bank with him.

Callan has done a bit better than I expected on the field but he hasn't quite won me over completely yet.

GVGjr
19-03-2009, 08:37 AM
I know what Inside Footy wrote isn't how they saw the 1st round side taking shape but with doubts on Cooney and Murphy it could really throw the team balance around.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4440

Desipura
19-03-2009, 09:53 AM
I think he has his nose in front of guys like Addison for a spot so he should play if fit.

Regarding the teachers pet tag, I suppose in reality the tag is a bit harsh. It's probably a case that he won the coach over with his training attitude and ethic and now has a few credits in the bank with him.

Callan has done a bit better than I expected on the field but he hasn't quite won me over completely yet.

Addison is definately another one of Rockets favourites.

Sockeye Salmon
19-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Addison is definately another one of Rockets favourites.

Eade told us that Addison is not very agile, he is quick enough in a straight line but can't turn quickly. He could never play on Aaron Davey, for example. Eade thinks Callan is a much better option on the really quick small forwards.

Higgo2Coon2Grif
19-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Addison is certainly one of Rocket's favourites. I'd have him rated ahead of Callan.

I think Eagleton will still play a lot of games this year, despite coming to the end of his career. It is well known he had a disappointing Preliminary Final, but you can't shoot him for that. His SF against Sydney was actually pretty damn good.

Johnson and Murphy have been incredibly underrated in those rankings too.

Mantis
19-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Addison is certainly one of Rocket's favourites. I'd have him rated ahead of Callan.

I think Eagleton will still play a lot of games this year, despite coming to the end of his career. It is well known he had a disappointing Preliminary Final, but you can't shoot him for that. His SF against Sydney was actually pretty damn good.

Johnson and Murphy have been incredibly underrated in those rankings too.

Welcome to WOOF.

Quick warning, don't make silly statements like that if you want to be taken seriously. One or two juck time goals count for nothing in the opinion of many.

And on favourites - What is wrong that Eade holds high his opinion of 2 nard nosed defensive types who would run through a brick wall to play in our team??

Higgo2Coon2Grif
19-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Welcome to WOOF.

Quick warning, don't make silly statements like that if you want to be taken seriously. One or two juck time goals count for nothing in the opinion of many.

And on favourites - What is wrong that Eade holds high his opinion of 2 nard nosed defensive types who would run through a brick wall to play in our team??

You're more than welcome to disagree, but understand that Eagleton averaged 22.7 disposals, 7.7 marks and 4.3 inside fifties in his final seven games of the season. You will find that those averages are also very similar to his three finals appearances.

I realise stats don't mean everything, but he's currently looking very fit (like he does every pre-season) and he should be a regular player in our side this year unless he gets injured. He has come a long way since 2002 and he has worked hard and is still one of our better ball winners.

bornadog
19-03-2009, 01:37 PM

I agree with this as Callan, has only played the 6 games and in 4 he hardly touched the ball.

The Coon Dog
19-03-2009, 01:43 PM
he has worked hard and is still one of our better ball winners.

No way! Can't agree with that. Eagle may be one of our better ball 'receivers' & there's nothing wrong with that. All teams need an outside type who can run & kick long, but Eagle is not a ball 'winner' in my view.

I think he's first few games this season will be vital, if he struggles early I think he may spend a bit more time at Williamstown this season than he would like.

azabob
19-03-2009, 01:47 PM

Callan has won me over completely, he may look a little slow, but IMO is a very good decision maker and knows his capabilities and sticks to them.
You could say the same thing about Harbrow being the teachers pet also with training attitude etc.
Harbrow for me still has a way to go before he wins me over completely. Poor decision making and poor disposal to often.

Sedat
19-03-2009, 01:53 PM
You're more than welcome to disagree, but understand that Eagleton averaged 22.7 disposals, 7.7 marks and 4.3 inside fifties in his final seven games of the season. You will find that those averages are also very similar to his three finals appearances.

I realise stats don't mean everything, but he's currently looking very fit (like he does every pre-season) and he should be a regular player in our side this year unless he gets injured. He has come a long way since 2002 and he has worked hard and is still one of our better ball winners.
Higgo2Coon2Grif, welcome to WOOF.

Lies and damn statistics - he got a bunch of it in the last quarter (10+ possessions from memory) when the heat was well and truly off against the Swans - indeed his two long bombs from 60 metres were deep in junk time, unlike his set shot 35 metres out and dead in front that failed to make the distance against the Cats the following week - that miss deflated our rousing comeback (to be fair to Eagle, alongside the other 6-7 blatant missed shots at goal over a 30 minute period during the 3rd and 4th qtrs). Therein lies the Eagleton quandary, and why he is maddeningly frustrating to some supporters.

If you want to use stats to solely support future arguments, consider that in the first final against the Hawks last year, Hodge had less than 20 possessions for the game, but was (alongside Buddy) the most influential player on the night. Some of our players that night has twice the number of possessions but about 5% of the impact on that game. Similarly, I'll take Rioli's 10 possession GF over Bartel's high 20's possession GF any day of the week.

Twodogs
19-03-2009, 02:05 PM

Those numbers meant nothing after he missed that shot on goal. He's a senior player and he needed to kick it-he didnt, he didnt ever look he was going to kick it from the time he lined it up and that wasnt good enough for a player of his standing in the team.

Go_Dogs
19-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Pretty good effort, and some good discussions that follow.

For mine, the one glaring omission is Tiller. He was arguably one of our better performers in the finals just gone, and from most reports hasn't taken a backwards step this pre-season. He has good size, attacks the ball/body, uses the ball well, makes good decisions, and can play either end.

Not sure who gets dropped from the side though.

I guess it just demonstrates our improved depth from last season.

GVGjr
19-03-2009, 03:49 PM
[/B]

Callan has won me over completely, he may look a little slow, but IMO is a very good decision maker and knows his capabilities and sticks to them.
You could say the same thing about Harbrow being the teachers pet also with training attitude etc.
Harbrow for me still has a way to go before he wins me over completely. Poor decision making and poor disposal to often.

It might take a while for Harbrow to click with the decision making and skills etc but the ability to put your head over a football in a contest that he already is often something that cannot be taught.
He will no doubt both frustrate and excite some of us from time to time this year.

Bulldog Revolution
19-03-2009, 04:15 PM
It might take a while for Harbrow to click with the decision making and skills etc but the ability to put your head over a football in a contest that he already is often something that cannot be taught.
He will no doubt both frustrate and excite some of us from time to time this year.

Wise words

Harbrow has significantly improved his running capacity, and as a result of being a lot fitter looked perhaps even quicker

Against the Saints at optus oval he won some sensational footy and would run away with it only to stuff up the disposal. He did this a few times and he was really trying to do too much, or just overcomplicating things.

I view it very much as a problem that can be rectified. In some respects I think Higgins has had some of the same issues pre-season. Its their first time with good AFL fitness bases and they are just learning what they can and cant get away with in the midfield.

I dont know if Harbrows on track for a breakout year I think he'll have some incredible moments in 09.

Ozza
19-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Pretty good effort, and some good discussions that follow.

For mine, the one glaring omission is Tiller. He was arguably one of our better performers in the finals just gone, and from most reports hasn't taken a backwards step this pre-season. He has good size, attacks the ball/body, uses the ball well, makes good decisions, and can play either end.

Not sure who gets dropped from the side though.

I guess it just demonstrates our improved depth from last season.

Can't quite agree with you there. Granted Tiller's two finals were his best games for the season - but even then I wouldn't have said he played particularly well. I really don't think Tiller is a senior footballer whatsoever. He's not big enough for the tall forwards, not quick enough for the quicker types - and he's a shocking fumbler.

I'm not sure which Stephen Tiller you've been watching when you say he uses it well and makes good decisions.

Mantis
19-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Can't quite agree with you there. Granted Tiller's two finals were his best games for the season - but even then I wouldn't have said he played particularly well. I really don't think Tiller is a senior footballer whatsoever. He's not big enough for the tall forwards, not quick enough for the quicker types - and he's a shocking fumbler.

I'm not sure which Stephen Tiller you've been watching when you say he uses it well and makes good decisions.

I think you are being a bit hard on Tiller. He has certainly improved over the past 12 months and looks capable of filling the 'utility' backman role when required.

His tackling has improved as well as his decision making & disposal. I expect him to be one player who will continue to push his case throughout the year and while he may not be a first 22 player in the eye's of many, he isn't that far away.

The Underdog
19-03-2009, 05:12 PM
I think you are being a bit hard on Tiller. He has certainly improved over the past 12 months and looks capable of filling the 'utility' backman role when required.

His tackling has improved as well as his decision making & disposal. I expect him to be one player who will continue to push his case throughout the year and while he may not be a first 22 player in the eye's of many, he isn't that far away.

He's definitely kept his name in contention. He strikes me as one of those classic guys that no-one has in their best 22 but seems to be able to get 10-15 games a year just by being the next guy on the list when players go down. He's been inconsistent in the past but his performances in the finals last year may have helped his cause immensely.

Go_Dogs
19-03-2009, 05:33 PM

I thought his finals performances were very good, especially for a bloke whose only played what, 10 games?

I think he's quick enough, and has pretty good ability below the knees, and pretty good hands.

His decision making in the finals was first rate, 99% of the time, as was his disposal.

We'll agree to disagree.

Sedat
19-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Either Tiller's terrific finals campaign was the making of him or it was an illusion and his abject performance against the Swans in Canberra is more indicative of his talent level. I'm a glass half full type so I'm going for the former.

Dazza
19-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Agree on Tiller. Performed when it mattered. He's definately jumped ahead of Cameron Wight in terms of being able to replace a Hargraves or Williams.

comrade
19-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Agree on Tiller. Performed when it mattered. He's definately jumped ahead of Cameron Wight in terms of being able to replace a Hargraves or Williams.

For that I am thankful. We really needed a tallish utility for the backline who can do a job and I think Tiller is it - a much better option than Wight.

hujsh
19-03-2009, 08:05 PM

At the end of last year even the rookies were ahead of Wight.

BornInDroopSt'54
19-03-2009, 10:09 PM

Bravo Higgo2Coon2Grif,
Like blue vein cheese, every culture is infiltrated with a prejudice, a symbiosis. On this site there is a prejudice amongst some against Eagleton. It is out of step with the club's reckoning of his ability. He is always picked if fit. It is also is out of step with the media, who often put him in the best players. He may be a receiver, a soft player, but it takes all types and with a few individuals on this site, there is an inability to value him.

BornInDroopSt'54
19-03-2009, 10:11 PM

Bravo Higgo2Coon2Grif,
Like blue vein cheese, every culture is infiltrated with a prejudice a symbiosis. On this site there is a prejudice amongst some against Eagleton. It is out of step with the club's reckoning of his ability. He is always picked if fit. It is also out of step with the media, who often put him in the best players. He may be a receiver, a soft player, but it takes all types and with a few individuals on this site, there is an inability to value him.

Mantis
19-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Bravo Higgo2Coon2Grif,
Like blue vein cheese, every culture is infiltrated with a prejudice, a symbiosis. On this site there is a prejudice amongst some against Eagleton. It is out of step with the club's reckoning of his ability. He is always picked if fit. It is also is out of step with the media, who often put him in the best players. He may be a receiver, a soft player, but it takes all types and with a few individuals on this site, there is an inability to value him.

I presume that I am one these individuals who do not value him? Well I do value what he can offer, in simple terms he offers long & accurate kicking, but I get very dissappointed that we don't see this often enough.

His ability to hit targets over any distance isn't is high as it once was. His ability to kick the long running goal isn't the same, put simply his kicking isn't as good as it once was.

The other parts of his game have never been that great (chasing, tackling,etc..), but as he is used in an 'offensive' role he has had some cover from performing these duties, but now that his kicking isn't as good he has no other part of his game to fall back on.

Time will tell to if Nathan can get his kicking mojo back, but if he can't I along with quite a few on this site can't see much of a role for him in the team.

And on the red bit do you actually take notice of who the media place in the best? To me all they seem to use to judge the best is the stats & goal tallies which don't really tell the whole story.

LostDoggy
19-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Not wanting to turn this thread into an Eagleton one as it's been done to death really but he must revive some of his form from a couple of seasons back to be guaranteed a spot most weeks. Like others have mentioned his kicking isn't anywhere near as strong as it once was and he just doesn't have enough other strengths to cover it.
Love watching him when he gets it all together.

lemmon
19-03-2009, 10:37 PM
I think Eagletons role in the team really has been challenged for two reasons. The first is that I dont think a team can carry a purely outside player, we are seeing it now with guys like Dal Santo who have little ability to win their own footy. The other is that I think is role has been taken by guys like Hill, Everitt and to an extent Griffen and Cooney, they can all run and carry the footy but also have another dimension. Griffen and Cooney can all win their own ball while Everitt can play key position and Hill has the fantastic contested marking ability.

A seperate point is that I dont think Tiller is getting enough credit for last years finals series. IMO he was our second best performed player behind Griff.

GVGjr
19-03-2009, 10:41 PM
A seperate point is that I dont think Tiller is getting enough credit for last years finals series. IMO he was our second best performed player behind Griff.

I haven't given it a lot of thought about him being the 2nd best player but he did perform when it counted and that should count for something. It might come down to a decision between Everitt and Tiller.

Mantis
19-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Have a look at no. 46..... Taking the piss???

Some randoms top 50 on BF (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552745)

Sockeye Salmon
19-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Have a look at no. 46..... Taking the piss???

Some randoms top 50 on BF (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552745)

That Pigdog bloke seems a bit biased against Eagle!

BornInDroopSt'54
19-03-2009, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE=Mantis;73997]I presume that I am one these individuals who do not value him? Well I do value what he can offer, in simple terms he offers long & accurate kicking, but I get very dissappointed that we don't see this often enough.

I hadn't noticed you bag him. I haven't noticed who has, just that it is in contrast with the team selection and media reckoning.
I defer to your, Lemmon's and Sunshines opinion that he is on limited tenure because his skills are waning and superseeded because he's one dimensional. I suspect he will be replaced during the season unless he finds good form.
The calls of his demise have just been a bit premature.
The good news is his heart didn't fail since Port gambled against it. He's given us good service.

lemmon
19-03-2009, 11:48 PM
That Pigdog bloke seems a bit biased against Eagle!

He had a fair crack:p not to mention he is above Gilbee and Griff

Ozza
20-03-2009, 10:41 AM
I thought his finals performances were very good, especially for a bloke whose only played what, 10 games?

I think he's quick enough, and has pretty good ability below the knees, and pretty good hands.

His decision making in the finals was first rate, 99% of the time, as was his disposal.

We'll agree to disagree.

We'll have to - and thats fine.

I really hope he has improved - as with any Bulldog - I hope they do well and he can prove himself as a necessary part of the team - but what I have seen so far I'm not convinced his positives outweigh his negatives - but time will tell.

At this stage, I certainly wouldn't be picking him if Williams, Hargrave, Everitt, Morris and Lake were all fit (or even if 4 of those 5 were ready to go).

As for Eagleton, you know what you're getting with him - he frustrates the hell out of supporters, and he tends to be a bit of a front runner - but he is also a fairly smart player that gets space and creates - and Eade has made him a far tougher player than the 'skirt' he was when he first came to the club - he actaully always 'go's' when its his turn to.

For me, on Eagleton - the bottom line is - he is at an age where you have to ask - 'How much more are you going to get out of him?'. He's not going to be a better player this year, and he is probably becoming a fringe player anyway. So to be honest - I would've have been happy enough for us to have let him go before this year.

LostDoggy
21-03-2009, 12:20 AM
I will assume that all you drop kicks that critisize a player of Nathan Eagletons ability can actually do better? Where do you retards get off on hanging shit on a player who tries his hardest even if it appears to us mere mortals that it is not enough!!!!!!!!!!!!! give the man a break and if any of you morons that hang it on him can actually think, (and I doubt it) remember the long bombs and the 50 metre passes he has executed over the last few years, we need the likes of Nathan to show the youngsters how to actually kick the f#@%&ing ball and not over hanball. Come on guy's give the dude a break.

GVGjr
21-03-2009, 12:36 AM
I will assume that all you drop kicks that critisize a player of Nathan Eagletons ability can actually do better? Where do you retards get off on hanging shit on a player who tries his hardest even if it appears to us mere mortals that it is not enough!!!!!!!!!!!!! give the man a break and if any of you morons that hang it on him can actually think, (and I doubt it) remember the long bombs and the 50 metre passes he has executed over the last few years, we need the likes of Nathan to show the youngsters how to actually kick the f#@%&ing ball and not over hanball. Come on guy's give the dude a break.

Greggles, you have been swearing on almost every post tonight and evading the filter all the time The use of the word retard is simply not acceptable here. Either exercise some control with your temper or you can leave this forum all together.

By all means constructively challenge the views of others because after all this is a discussion forum however, constant swear filter evading and calling people retards will not be tolerated.

LostDoggy
21-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Greggles, you have been swearing on almost every post tonight and evading the filter all the time The use of the word retard is simply not acceptable here. Either exercise some control with your temper or you can leave this forum all together.

By all means constructively challenge the views of others because after all this is a discussion forum however, constant swear filter evading and calling people retards will not be tolerated.

Please accept my sincere apologies and also I wish to assure everyone on this fine forum that I had no intention of offending anyone and if I have I sincerely apologise.:(

LostDoggy
21-03-2009, 12:55 AM
I think that the Eagle still has a role to play in our team, much like Johno he has faded a bit - but still contributes.

LostDoggy
21-03-2009, 01:16 PM
I was a huge Eagle fan when he came over and Dog's fans were bagging him. I thought he gave the side a dimension it lacked -- ie. a fast, straight running, long kicking player that straightened up the team.

But that time has long past. A one-dimensional player has to be able to execute that one-dimension. With no right foot to speak of, he is a weak link in the team that other coaches have been exploiting for a while now -- you know where he is turning to, and, under pressure, you where he's going to kick it to. I've seen Eagle's kicks either smothered of go straight to an opposition player standing waiting for it many times these past couple of years. If he manages to get an effective offensive kick away often he has had to twist and turn three, four times just to get into position, and in such a fast paced game with a premium on time, it's a luxury he can't often afford.

But the straw that broke the camel's back, and certainly has shown that he has no future in the team, is that he didn't stand up in the finals when he had a chance to put the Dogs in front against Geelong. If a bloke who is only in the team for his ability to kick the ball a long way doesn't even make the distance when kicking from 40 metres right in front, from a set shot, that's your career, over.

There have been others to do the same over the years (Southern, Minson) but they are in the team for their other traits. If you can't produce in a final, in the most crucial moment of the match, with the ONLY skill you are being paid for, that says something. It's not as if he missed it for a behind etc... it didn't even make the damn distance.

lemmon
21-03-2009, 05:08 PM

What do you think he will contribute to the team this year? Its all good and well to have a crack but its pointless if you provide nothing to back yourself up.

hujsh
21-03-2009, 05:23 PM
I will assume that all you drop kicks that critisize a player of Nathan Eagletons ability can actually do better? Where do you retards get off on hanging shit on a player who tries his hardest even if it appears to us mere mortals that it is not enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not skilled enough to bag players who are unable to play AFL. Doesn't mean that I can't believe that Eagleton is no longer AFL quality.

if any of you morons that hang it on him can actually think, (and I doubt it) remember the long bombs and the 50 metre passes he has executed over the last few years, we need the likes of Nathan to show the youngsters how to actually kick the f#@%&ing ball and not over hanball. Come on guy's give the dude a break.

Can he do it anymore though? Granted his kicking ability was a penetrative weapon in days gone by but without it you've got to ask if he's good enough

we need the likes of Nathan to show the youngsters how to actually kick the f#@%&ing ball and not over hanball. Come on guy's give the dude a break.

I think they just do what the coach says, not Eagleton

LostDoggy
24-03-2009, 09:30 AM
For that I am thankful. We really needed a tallish utility for the backline who can do a job and I think Tiller is it - a much better option than Wight.

Here, here. Was impressed with his defnsive work in the prac match against the Dees the other week. Consistently beat his opponent. Rocket siad in the latest Bulldog mag that Wight needs to improve his disposal and decision making - can't see that happening this year.

LostDoggy
24-03-2009, 09:36 AM

Settle down Nathan. If we could all play we'd be pushing you out of the team mate. ;)