PDA

View Full Version : AFL's rushed behind rule here to stay

hujsh
20-03-2009, 11:06 PM
The AFL's new rule outlawing deliberate rushed behinds is here to stay.

It is one of two new rules which will come into effect for the premiership season, after being trialled during the pre-season.

The other was to award a 50m penalty against players who tackle, hold or make high contact against opponents after they have disposed of the ball.

The increase of teams rushing the ball across their defensive goal line came to the fore during last year's grand final, when victors Hawthorn repeatedly used the tactic against Geelong.

But AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson said it was a steady long-term increase, rather than any one game, which prompted the league to act.

"There were double the number of deliberate rushed behinds last year than there were in 2006," Anderson said.

"There was an average of more than three deliberate rushed behinds per game by the end of the season.

"At the end of the year we spoke to all our coaches and almost all agreed that this was a trend that was against the spirit of the game and if something wasn't done, deliberate rushed behinds would continue to increase in the future."

While the rule was twice applied incorrectly during the pre-season, including one occurrence which decided the outcome of a practice match between Fremantle and West Coast, Anderson said the umpires were confident they would get it right in the season proper.

"They're very confident that they can interpret this rule as effectively as they can interpret any other rule," he said.

He said it was clearly effective during the trial period, with the rate of rushed behinds halving and the flow of the game enhanced as a result.

The second new rule was brought in to combat a growing trend of players dragging opponents to ground to keep them out of the next passage of play.

Anderson said that became a particularly problem during the second half of last season, but the introduction of the automatic 50m penalty proved a significant deterrent.

He said the league had no worries about changing rules six days out from the start of the season, as clubs had known the trial rules could be made permanent.

Meanwhile, the AFL Commission has again delayed its decision to award a licence for the new Gold Coast club to enter the league in 2011.

There had been anticipation the final all-clear would be given at Friday's commission meeting, after the Queensland government last week announced a $60 million grant towards a redevelopment of Carrara stadium, which had been the major stumbling block.

But with the opposition Liberal National Party having failed to match that commitment, the AFL is understood to be waiting until after Saturday's state election.

A league spokesman refused to detail the AFL's thinking, but said it was possible an announcement would be made next week.

GVGjr
20-03-2009, 11:20 PM
I cannot believe that we are so close to the start of the season and the AFL would change the rules. I understand that the rushed behinds like Bowden did isn't a great spectacle but this change is an overreaction.

LostDoggy
20-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Oh god, its horrible! What is Lake going to do?

GVGjr
20-03-2009, 11:53 PM

I don't think the rule TODAY is as harsh as what was trialled in the NAB cup but the Joel Bowden type deliberate rushed behind (with no pressure) won't go unpunished.

They are however, making it very hard on all defenders.

G-Mo77
21-03-2009, 02:16 AM
What an f'ing joke! A disgusting decision! It didn't work in the NAB cup how on earth is it going to work in the regular season? At least wait until 2010! How long will it be before a rushed behind costs a team a game? My guess round 5. I'm sick of these rule changes, maybe just once, only once, could they just leave things the way they are. The more they tinker the worse it gets and I'm already sour on the whole league after the last lot of rule changes as you can tell I'm pretty upset about this awful decision!

Who in their right mind growing up would want to be a defender now? They may as well stand there and watch the forwards run around, take marks, kick goals and then pat them on the arse.

Desipura
21-03-2009, 09:31 AM

I agree Sophie about Lake. When the forwards put pressure on him his decision making can be "iffy" and I have no doubt the opposition know this. Its up to his teammates to offer support by way of shepherding as well as getting free so Lake does not feed off the ball to a 50/50 contest.

hujsh
21-03-2009, 12:42 PM
What an f'ing joke! A disgusting decision! It didn't work in the NAB cup how on earth is it going to work in the regular season? At least wait until 2010! How long will it be before a rushed behind costs a team a game? My guess round 5. I'm sick of these rule changes, maybe just once, only once, could they just leave things the way they are. The more they tinker the worse it gets and I'm already sour on the whole league after the last lot of rule changes as you can tell I'm pretty upset about this awful decision!

Who in their right mind growing up would want to be a defender now? They may as well stand there and watch the forwards run around, take marks, kick goals and then pat them on the arse.

Or just flood/use a rolling zone. That'd be a great spectacle AFL.

SonofScray
21-03-2009, 02:17 PM

I share those thoughts. Bitterly disappointed with how this is all panning out.

Sockeye Salmon
21-03-2009, 05:59 PM

What he said.

bornadog
21-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Still don't understand why the rule had to be brought in.

I can see a game being lost here due to the umpires interpretation and it will be us in a crucial game.

Remi Moses
21-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Gee the AFL could have rolled out this rule 5 min before Thursday nights game. Honestly what are they doing? fancy giving the clubs 6 days to prepare for the new rule.:eek::eek:

Desipura
22-03-2009, 07:56 AM

agree however a skinny fwd with good 2nd and 3rd efforts who can take a mark wont mind these chnages, you virtually cant go body on body anymore. Hope youre ready Granty:D