PDA

View Full Version : I'd be a lot more confident about the 2009 season if....

GVGjr
22-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Just list the area that concerns you the most about the 2009 season.

I'd be a lot more confident about the 2009 season if....we had more depth in the rucks.

This is the one area that I believe could really curtail our season mainly because we just don't have a lot of genuine depth there.

Sure we have Hudson and Minson but with the 4 boundary umpires the game will be a lot quicker for them. Quicker running to the throw in's could mean a lot of changes on and off the bench and it would be very unlikely that between the two of them they won't miss a few games through the season.

To support them we have Skipper who can do a decent job but probably not for an extended season and possibly Cam Wight who is very much a stop gap ruckman.

We have the inexperienced Mulligan and Shaw on the rookie list and I don't think we can rely on them plus we have Cordy and Roughead as first year draftees. Roughead might be able to do a job for a a couple of weeks if required but ideally this year should be a development one.

Sure we have a few other issues but I'd hate to see our list be tested with any injuries or loss of form with our rucks.

Thoughts?

Stevo
22-03-2009, 11:07 AM
I'd be a lot more confident about the 2009 season if....Eade and the side don't get distracted by any contract discussions between the coach and the club.

Dazza
22-03-2009, 11:12 AM
I'd be alot more confident if.... We had a bailout option up forward we could bomb the ball to when under pressure.

Stevo
22-03-2009, 11:20 AM
The rucks and the forwards are the main on field areas for concern.

Dazza
22-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Also full back.

LostDoggy
22-03-2009, 11:57 AM
If we had at least 1 tall marking target in the forward line. Dont think we can improve on 3rd this yr.

mighty_west
22-03-2009, 12:08 PM
I'd be a lot more confident about the 2009 season if....i didn't have the mental scares of being a Bulldogs supporter or over 30 years, never go into any season with too much confidence, that way i don't get too disappointed at the end.

Last season's loss to Geelong in the Prelim, i should have been extremely disappointed, but wasn't, in fact i was quite jovial as a supporter with some mates straight after the game, and that worries me, was like chalk & cheese my feelings after a Prelim loss to that compared with '97, but a LONG way.

I also agree with The Coon Dog, we just need Tom Williams to stay fit.

Rocco Jones
22-03-2009, 12:27 PM
I'd be a lot more confident about the 2009 season if....Bobby was fit. He is so vital to our forward set up but his style involves a lot of hard work, especially consistent, hard running needed to be a lead up option. We look a lot our stagnant going forward when Bobby is out/unfit.

Dazza
22-03-2009, 12:56 PM
I'd be a lot more confident about the 2009 season if....i didn't have the mental scares of being a Bulldogs supporter or over 30 years, never go into any season with too much confidence, that way i don't get too disappointed at the end.

Last season's loss to Geelong in the Prelim, i should have been extremely disappointed, but wasn't, in fact i was quite jovial as a supporter with some mates straight after the game, and that worries me, was like chalk & cheese my feelings after a Prelim loss to that compared with '97, but a LONG way.

I also agree with The Coon Dog, we just need Tom Williams to stay fit.

I too was happy after the prelim for some reason. I think it's because I thought we had no chance but the guys really stepped up and played quite well. Different to 97 because I thought we had that in the bag and then would have beaten st kilda in the grand final.

Higgo2Coon2Grif
22-03-2009, 01:45 PM
I'd be a lot more confident if we defeated North Melbourne and Carlton, instead of struggling against them.

lemmon
22-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Id be more confident if we had an injury free pre-season.

LostDoggy
22-03-2009, 03:13 PM
I'd be a lot more confident if I though that major players such as Cooney and Murphy had good pre seasons. I would be a lot more confident if Rocket hadn't come out and said we expect to make top four again this year:o Echoes of 2007.

bulldogtragic
22-03-2009, 03:22 PM
if.... I didn't expect the boys to win. Everytime i get my hopes up, my heart just breaks a little more. But when there is no expectation we do well.

I guess this has to change this year then.

Dogs 24/7
22-03-2009, 04:43 PM
I'd be a lot more confident about the 2009 season if.... we were in better form through the pre season and we didn't have such a tough early draw. Potentially losing the first 3 or 4 games could really upset the apple-cart.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-03-2009, 08:17 PM
I'd be a lot more confident about the 2009 season if....We didn't need to use Eagleton for the year.

That would mean the young kids are on fire and the list would be injury free.

it's not just a crack at eagle........ Well maybe it is too.

bornadog
22-03-2009, 09:15 PM
I'd be a lot more confident about the 2009 season if....[/I]we had more depth in the rucks and our defensive game was a lot tighter. Eighth best defence last year wasn't good enough, need to be in the top four.

LostDoggy
22-03-2009, 10:29 PM
I'd be a lot more confident about the 2009 season if... we won the premiership last year

BornInDroopSt'54
22-03-2009, 10:36 PM
I'd be a lot more confident about the 2009 season if...
Chris Grant was cloned to play full back, centre half back. centre half forward and full forward. ( OK chuck in centre as well)
Realistically, if Tom Williams, Brad Johnson, Griffen and our best players, played 22 games, allowing two important players to miss 8 weeks between them before the finals. Also if Jarrod Grant plays 15 games and proves himself a star. Isn't fantasty a wonderful thing? Also if Eade discovers hidden talent and hidden possiblities within the existing group.

Mantis
22-03-2009, 10:40 PM
I'd be a lot more confident about the 2009 season if...
Chris Grant was cloned to play full back, centre half back. centre half forward and full forward. ( OK chuck in centre as well)
Realistically, if Tom Williams, Brad Johnson, Griffen and our best players, played 22 games, allowing two important players to miss 8 weeks between them before the finals. Also if Jarrod Grant plays 15 games and proves himself a star. Isn't fantasty a wonderful thing? Also if Eade discovers hidden talent and hidden possiblities within the existing group.

Where do you think he should be looking?

LostDoggy
22-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Tom Williams staying fit.

Jarrad Grant putting on quick KG's.

Everitt getting back to the form he once showed.

LostDoggy
22-03-2009, 11:35 PM
If our key players can keep fit, un-injured, and peak at the right time. (Already a problem with Coons and Murph)
If one of the kids managed to push Eagleton out.
If we'd won a few more preseason games (I know the games might not be a reflection of what to expect, but I dont know...I thought we'd be able to actually beat Essendon, St Kilda and Sydney, even if it WAS just a practise match).

hujsh
22-03-2009, 11:51 PM
I'd be a lot more confident about the 2009 season if... I hadn't read this thread.

BulldogBelle
22-03-2009, 11:56 PM
I'd be a lot more confident about the 2009 season if.... all of our players were relatively injury free. Fingers crossed!

MrMahatma
23-03-2009, 08:16 AM
My concerns:

Cooney & Murphy - Cooney more-so
Williams

I still think we have a better list than we did this time last year however, with shed-loads of up-side.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Where do you think he should be looking?

On the training track, his intuition, his staff's and the players' reckoning of others' abilities and potential. The collective consciousness. This forum even. Consider all possibilities, which I'm sure he does. Eade has my utmost loyalty and faith.
If you're asking if I think there's a player who has been understimated or who I think may really deliver more than in the past...I'm not a judgemental type of personality, I don't feel comfortable making those calls. I feel Eade knows better than me. I just hope the young guys like Grant and Williams can step up and fill our two most important areas of need.

LostDoggy
23-03-2009, 12:56 PM
If we had a Fit Tom Williams ready to go to war every week.

If one of our emerging key forwards was ready to relieve Minson of any further participation in the forward line

Dry Rot
23-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Tom Williams appears as a key variable throughout this thread.

I understand that the potential is there and he's had a good game against Franklin, but is it based on anything else?

It would obviously be great for him to play most games this year but isn't he still pretty raw re his reading of the game and his skills?

The Coon Dog
23-03-2009, 01:42 PM

I understand that the potential is there and he's had a good game against Franklin, but is it based on anything else?

It would obviously be great for him to play most games this year but isn't he still pretty raw re his reading of the game and his skills?
I think it's also alot to do with how he aids our defensive structure just by being there.

LostDoggy
23-03-2009, 03:05 PM
I think it's also alot to do with how he aids our defensive structure just by being there.

It's much more about the structure than it is about Tom. Tom will be a good defender, it's who he frees up which is the msot important piece of the puzzle.

LostDoggy
23-03-2009, 03:08 PM

The two key positions we've lacked a really solid player for in the last decade (apart from a certain C. Grant) is CHF and CHB. Adequately filling either of these holes (even just adequately, nothing spectacular required) shores up the entire structure of the team which will have immense flow-on effects. Dogs players have been generally among the highest skilled in the competition, and we're as well served for medium sized players as any team in the league (perhaps bar Geelong). If the key positions are filled, all the other players can play their proper roles and not always be fighting out of their weight divison. All of a sudden we have winners all over the ground instead of guys always playing above their height etc. With a decent CHB, Dale Morris and Ryan Hargrave would steamroll their opponents every week, which would improve our defensive record no end.

Tom Williams is the only player on the list at the moment looking likely to fill that hole.

The giant shellacking we got in the qualifying final against Hawthorn would not have happened if Morris did not have to play on Franklin. He may still have scored a few and we may still have lost, but no way would we have been blown out of the water the way we were if Morris and Hargrave were playing the next best forward down.

(This is why I reckon a make-shift CHB like a Wight on Franklin may have sufficed in the final; Lance may have still gone to town -- he did anyway -- but every other Hawthorn forward would have been well shackled.)

LostDoggy
23-03-2009, 03:09 PM
The two key positions we've lacked a really solid player for in the last decade (apart from a certain C. Grant) is CHF and CHB. Adequately filling either of these holes (even just adequately, nothing spectacular required) shores up the entire structure of the team which will have immense flow-on effects. Dogs players have been generally among the highest skilled in the competition, and we're as well served for medium sized players as any team in the league (perhaps bar Geelong). If the key positions are filled, all the other players can play their proper roles and not always be fighting out of their weight divison. All of a sudden we have winners all over the ground instead of guys always playing above their height etc. With a decent CHB, Dale Morris and Ryan Hargrave would steamroll their opponents every week, which would improve our defensive record no end.

Tom Williams is the only player on the list at the moment looking likely to fill that hole.

The giant shellacking we got in the qualifying final against Hawthorn would not have happened if Morris did not have to play on Franklin. He may still have scored a few and we may still have lost, but no way would we have been blown out of the water the way we were if Morris and Hargrave were playing the next best forward down.

(This is why I reckon a make-shift CHB like a Wight on Franklin may have sufficed in the final; Lance may have still gone to town -- he did anyway -- but every other Hawthorn forward would have been well shackled.)

Get out of my head.... You're freaking me out:eek::D

azabob
23-03-2009, 07:01 PM

The midfield let us down that night, pure and simple. Wouldn't have mattered if we had Rick Kennedy or Glen Jackovich playing for us, no defenders could've stopped that onslaught.

westdog54
23-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I'd be a lot more confident about the 2009 season if....

Our skills looked better in the lead-up games.

I know pre-season matches aren't always the best indicator of all time, but what I've seen and heard so far doesn't fill me with confidence. I guess we'll know more in 6 days time.

Remi Moses
23-03-2009, 08:36 PM
I'd be a lot more confident about the 2009 season if that Richmond muck raker hadn't tipped us to finish top 2. Caroline Wilson
Seriously if we had a get out option under pressure in the goalsquare I'd be confident

The Adelaide Connection
23-03-2009, 09:07 PM
if... footy wasn't headed for the dire, zone dominated game that everyone expects. I Remember watching the Dogs get beat in round 22 against Adelaide at Aami and all day they struggled to get out of their defensive 50. It didn't happen all year, but when it did it killed us.

if... Hawthorn didn't have Franklin and Roughead and Geelong didn't have Mooney (well, if Geelong didn't exist would be better).

BornInDroopSt'54
23-03-2009, 10:23 PM

His superb physique, his athleticism, his proven competitiveness having played for Australia, his commitment to playing AFL despite his father's history with League, the game against Franklin when he pitted his goods against Franklin and won most battles despite being a novice AFL player, what he's shown already even though he's played less Aussie rules than most WOOF posters. He has suggested a potential that dreams are made of.

LostDoggy
23-03-2009, 11:23 PM
His superb physique, his athleticism, his proven competitiveness having played for Australia,.

Tom Williams played for Australia? In what and how does that prove we need him for 2009?

Scraggers
24-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Tom Williams played for Australia? In what and how does that prove we need him for 2009?

He definitely represented Queensland in Rugby in the Under 18s ... dunno that he ever represented Australia

BornInDroopSt'54
24-03-2009, 01:42 PM

He represented Australia n under age rugby league, which shows elite talent and competitiveness. The thread, as I interpret it, is about why and how we base our great expectations on Tom. His representing Australia is one strong criterion of my hope.

LostDoggy
24-03-2009, 02:24 PM
He represented Australia n under age rugby league, which shows elite talent and competitiveness. The thread, as I interpret it, is about why and how we base our great expectations on Tom. His representing Australia is one strong criterion of my hope.

I'd like to see more proof of that as I've read it no where, under 16s?, anyway it shows bugger all in terms of AFL talent and competitiveness.

Also you are exaggerating his match up with Franklin, he did well and held his own. Won most battles, I don't know about that, Franklin did kick 5 although some were gimmes.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-03-2009, 05:41 AM
I'd like to see more proof of that as I've read it no where, under 16s?, anyway it shows bugger all in terms of AFL talent and competitiveness.

Also you are exaggerating his match up with Franklin, he did well and held his own. Won most battles, I don't know about that, Franklin did kick 5 although some were gimmes.

I can't find any article on Google about his rugby representation. It was years ago when he was in the draft that I read about it. I suspect that he may not have represented Australia but Queensland as Scraggers confirms. It still suggests elite skills and many of these are transferrable. He was a kicker in rugby, their tacking skills compare to ours, he has fierce competitiveness, he's 196cm, fast, agile with telescopic arms. If you're not excited, I am.
On Franklin he was able to keep with him to the contest and spoil. That's a win for the backman.

bornadog
25-03-2009, 06:28 PM
I can't find any article on Google about his rugby representation. It was years ago when he was in the draft that I read about it. I suspect that he may not have represented Australia but Queensland as Scraggers confirms. It still suggests elite skills and many of these are transferrable. He was a kicker in rugby, their tacking skills compare to ours, he has fierce competitiveness, he's 196cm, fast, agile with telescopic arms. If you're not excited, I am.
On Franklin he was able to keep with him to the contest and spoil. That's a win for the backman.

From Wikipedia

Tom Williams (born 17 July 1986) is an Australian rules footballer with the Western Bulldogs in the Australian Football League. Drafted with the 6th pick in the 2004 AFL Draft, Williams was a late convert to Australian Rules, having been an all-round sportsman, playing representative rugby union for Queensland in U-18s.
Tom's father Steve played for the Parramatta Eels in the New South Wales Rugby League between 1975 and 1976 and was a co-founder of the Brisbane Broncos.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-03-2009, 07:44 PM

Ernie I respect your need for affirmation of his value. Until he delivers, it's all pie in the sky. He has played bugger all games of footy and he's been flaming well injured ever since our speculative recruitment of him. Maybe he won't be able to read the play. Maybe it will go over his head like he said it did when he first started. I'm backing that he'll be able to pick it up quickly and do a Jim Stynes. I agree there's no guarantees, but we're in the game of loyalty and faith. Not many guarantees involved. That's what makes your and mine loyalty great. We've stuck through 55 years of loving a team that hasn't delivered the grail, but we have never been unfaithfull. We've gone to the footy by ourselves (I bet you have too) because hardly any other bastard follows the Bulldogs, to watch a team lose and come back the next week, the next month, the next year, the next decade. We've gone through a wife or two, a friend or two. a car or ten, a house or four. Never have we changed teams. They may change the name but you and I and a few thousand others will die loving the mighty FOOTSCRAY BULLDOGS.

LostDoggy
25-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Not sure why that is addressed to me?

BornInDroopSt'54
26-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Not sure why that is addressed to me?

Nominally to you, more to the bottom of my glass.:)