PDA

View Full Version : Which Player will surprise us all?

bornadog
23-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Every year there is a player that is either starting their career or in their second or third year or has been around for awhile that plays an outstanding year.

If you had to pick any bulldogs player, that in the past, has been just average or shown some potential without staring, who do you think will make 2009 theirs?

I will kick things off and pick Matthew Boyd to have a big one.

LostDoggy
23-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Griffin for me..I want to see his explosive side, even more than we have already seen...and continue running into the 50 to boot goals..

Got him at a $101 brownlow shot too :)

LostDoggy
23-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Griff & Higgo.

Although i rate Addison and if he stays fit, he will have a top year.

mighty_west
23-03-2009, 08:39 PM
By suprising us? I probably wouldn't have the likes of Boyd or Griff or Higgo etc, we all kind of expect them to have good seasons and Boyd is established now as an AFL player, Boyd being like Cross, i probably wouldn't expect them to improve too much now, but just pretty much keep up their form for the next few years.

We had Joshy Hill last season break loose and suprise us all, this season, we may see someone like Mal Lynch or Ayce Cordy really suprise, we all kind of expect Cordy to be a good player down the track, but most would think he was far too skinny at this stage, he may just suprise us in 2009.

LostDoggy
23-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Wayde Skipper. Semi-seriously. He's coming off a low base surprise-wise so that makes it easier, but I do think if he has a smidgen of luck with the body he could have an excellent year.

The Adelaide Connection
23-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Wayde Skipper. Semi-seriously. He's coming off a low base surprise-wise so that makes it easier, but I do think if he has a smidgen of luck with the body he could have an excellent year.

That's who I was going to say. If he does get selected I just feel that he needs to make an immediate impact, don't think they will persevere with him for a few weeks running etc.

Scorlibo
23-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Griffin for me..I want to see his explosive side, even more than we have already seen...and continue running into the 50 to boot goals..

I agree with Griffen, I have $40 on him at $151 ;) he then went to $101 and then $81 within the space of a week.

bulldogtragic
23-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Akermanis.

Mantis
23-03-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm thinking & perhaps maybe hoping that big Will might have a break-out season.

I also think Brennan Stack might do some good things this year too.

Rocket Science
23-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Tom Williams.

There, I said it.

bulldogsman
23-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Everitt. I think he might have a slow start, but should be right after that.

LostDoggy
23-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Everitt. I think he might have a slow start, but should be right after that.

Go i hope so, he showed so much in his first season. He runs and carries the ball so well, and has the height to really trouble opposition teams.

I thought he would've actually put on more weight, but hasn't that much. Makes me wonder if this is going to be his frame for his career, i hope not.

Bulldog Revolution
24-03-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm thinking & perhaps maybe hoping that big Will might have a break-out season.

I also think Brennan Stack might do some good things this year too.

I'd thought Stack was a chance to really surprise, given that not a lot is expected

I really hope you are right on big Will - it would make an enormous difference to the set-up of the whole side if he were to have a break out year

I'd also like to think if OKeefe can get himself fit then he could be an x-factor

Desipura
24-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Tom Williams.

There, I said it.
Tom Williams for me as well

LostDoggy
24-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Higgins.

Just for the fact that he has had the last couple of years ruined by injury.

He has been given a leadership role at the club (the youngest in his position).

He has been given the no.7 and i don't think this is just by coincidence due to position and where the club want to see him in terms of leadership during the year.

Other teams will go and rough him up (as they have always done). he will put on bulk over the next two seasons and be able to shrug the attention off.

It's a season where he can become a man.

Mantis
24-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Other teams will go and rough him up (as they have always done). He will put on bulk over the next two seasons and be able to shrug the attention off.

It's a season where he can become a man.

He is listed at 184cm & 89kg on Footywire (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tp-western-bulldogs) which makes him a pretty solid unit already.

GVGjr
24-03-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm hoping that it is Giansiracusa. If there was every a time for him to put it all together and get a good run without injuries then he could be a dynamic contributor for us.

I wonder if Johnson could put in a big season as well.

Go_Dogs
24-03-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm hoping that it is Giansiracusa. If there was every a time for him to put it all together and get a good run without injuries then he could be a dynamic contributor for us.

I was just about to post Giansiracusa. Had a really good last year, especially considering his pre-season. Fully fit this year, we could really see him start to blow a few games a part, which is something he has never been quite able to do.

He could easily become one of our most important players by the years end, but just needs to find that next level, that he has looked being capable of reaching for so long.

LostDoggy
24-03-2009, 10:18 AM

Tongue in cheek?

Carried the forward line for the last 4+ years :)

GVGjr
24-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Tongue in cheek?

Carried the forward line for the last 4+ years :)

His game against Adelaide in the first round last year was sensational but towards the end of last year the niggling injuries had caught up with him and it limited his influence.

Given his great pre-season I hope to see Johnson have another 50 goal season.

GVGjr
24-03-2009, 10:34 AM
I was just about to post Giansiracusa. Had a really good last year, especially considering his pre-season. Fully fit this year, we could really see him start to blow a few games a part, which is something he has never been quite able to do.

He could easily become one of our most important players by the years end, but just needs to find that next level, that he has looked being capable of reaching for so long.

As good as he can be he hasn't had a great year for a few years now. A solid season from him would be a real bonus for the side.

Mantis
24-03-2009, 10:40 AM

Which role would you like to see Gia fill to become this dynamic contributor?

Cyberdoggie
24-03-2009, 10:52 AM
All the obvious ones have been taken, ie Higgins, Griffen, Everitt etc,

I'm going to nominate a couple of the kids, Easton Wood and Callan Ward.

Ward got a taste last year but this year he's much bigger and he'll really show us his bag of tricks. Hopefully he doesn't get the second year blues like a lot of our top prospects have had.

Easton Wood i think will play for the dogs pretty much from the start of the year. He may drop in and out a bit but I think he'll perform above expectations when given his chance. He seems to have a bit of confidence about him now and wasn't fazed in his first game in the bulldog colours against Essendon. He appear to have any nerves at all.

This year will be tough for the dogs, we are going to have to look after a few key players as there are quite a few of them that are still injured or under done. Not ideal preparation really so we will have to rely on some players on the fringe to contribute. Stack, Tiller, Wood, O'Keefe, Ward, Reid. Not a lot of experience there yet, but they will get a chance this year.

GVGjr
24-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Which role would you like to see Gia fill to become this dynamic contributor?

In the midfield complimenting Cooney, Griffen and Cross.

1eyedog
24-03-2009, 11:15 AM
I think Harbrow will terrorise opposition backmen this season with real intensity at the ball in the F50. I think he's also capable of 30+ goals for the year and believe he will be rated as one of the more dangerous small forwards in the competition.

Mantis
24-03-2009, 02:15 PM
In the midfield complimenting Cooney, Griffen and Cross.

Agree with that.

He really needs to spend a greater proportion of his time on the field in the midfield. He has really improved his toughness and ball winning ability in close over the past couple of years so hopefully he can take it to another level this year.

lemmon
24-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Aker to go out with a bang this year.

Happy Days
24-03-2009, 05:34 PM
What about Jordan Roughead?

If Will or Ben go down (heaven forbid), he could potentially be the next in line.

GVGjr
24-03-2009, 06:05 PM
What about Jordan Roughead?

If Will or Ben go down (heaven forbid), he could potentially be the next in line.

He might be able to do a game or two but IMO an extended run in the ruck will work against him over the longer term. Skipper and and even Wight need to do the grunt work if we get injuries to Minson or Hudson.

1eyedog
24-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Agree with that.

He really needs to spend a greater proportion of his time on the field in the midfield. He has really improved his toughness and ball winning ability in close over the past couple of years so hopefully he can take it to another level this year.

I don't share your optimism but I wish I did because I think Guido is a much maligned player for no good reason. I don't think he is hard enough at the ball and if he plays a midfield role it will be as an outsider. I reckon he'll fill Griffen's spot as an attacking HB flanker while Cyclops plays more of a midfield role. Guido will be rotated through the midfield no doubt but purely on the basis of giving others a rest. With Aker, Higgins, Welsh, Murph and Johnno in the forward line his days up there are numbered. I agree that he has improved his physical and mental toughness but not enough to match it with the competitions top mid fielders. I don't see him pulling out any big surprises.

Higgo2Coon2Grif
24-03-2009, 09:27 PM

Why don't you have him at $251 like me? You missed the flood of money around Christmas time and weren't able to take advantage of the massive bargain.

I echo your thoughts - Griffo to emerge into one of the competition's elite players this year.

LostDoggy
24-03-2009, 10:10 PM
SKipper for me. I think he has always had the potential, and to be watching on the sideline all of last year will have increased his hunger. I saw him at one of our home games just watching the game, and asked him when he thought he would be back, he just said (rather wistfully I thought) that he didn't know. He can take a mark and kick a goal - let's hope he has a lot of pent up hunger.

For all of those that knock him, remember the game against St Kilda in 2007, when he took a strong pack mark and saved us from certain defeat by pulling out a draw - it was probably the highlight for 2007:o We beat the ainst in 2009 for the first time that I can remember for a long time, and the belief that the team could beat them came from the 2007 draw (in my opinion anyway).

Mantis
24-03-2009, 10:21 PM
I don't share your optimism but I wish I did because I think Guido is a much maligned player for no good reason. I don't think he is hard enough at the ball and if he plays a midfield role it will be as an outsider. I reckon he'll fill Griffen's spot as an attacking HB flanker while Cyclops plays more of a midfield role. Guido will be rotated through the midfield no doubt but purely on the basis of giving others a rest. With Aker, Higgins, Welsh, Murph and Johnno in the forward line his days up there are numbered. I agree that he has improved his physical and mental toughness but not enough to match it with the competitions top mid fielders. I don't see him pulling out any big surprises.

I really can't see that happening. Pace isn't one of Gia's greatest assets and I think his lack of leg speed could be exposed if he was to play in defence.

I think we will see him play a similiar role to last year. And I agree that I can't see Gia doing anything exceptional this year, but I do expect him to be a very consistent performer.

LostDoggy
25-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Stack for mine. He looked o.k against the bombers in the pre-season.

1eyedog
26-03-2009, 03:20 PM
I really can't see that happening. Pace isn't one of Gia's greatest assets and I think his lack of leg speed could be exposed if he was to play in defence.

I think we will see him play a similiar role to last year. And I agree that I can't see Gia doing anything exceptional this year, but I do expect him to be a very consistent performer.

Agreed and I expect you may be right in terms of Gia's pace especially when we already have Callan (potentially) in the back half as well. I guess what I was trying to say about Gia in the back half was that he may be useful with his creativity i.e setting up Gilbee and our runners through the corridor. He has a level head and his disposal is adequate. I am concerned about Brian's fade outs and Shaggy's disposal as well as Callan's lack of speed. Gia could provide stability down there. If only he was a yard quicker!

Sockeye Salmon
26-03-2009, 04:04 PM
[/B]

Agreed and I expect you may be right in terms of Gia's pace especially when we already have Callan (potentially) in the back half as well. I guess what I was trying to say about Gia in the back half was that he may be useful with his creativity i.e setting up Gilbee and our runners through the corridor. He has a level head and his disposal is adequate. I am concerned about Brian's fade outs and Shaggy's disposal as well as Callan's lack of speed. Gia could provide stability down there. If only he was a yard quicker!

Callan is actually very quick and has been earmarked to take the Davey's, Matt Campbell, Steven Milne and the like.

LostDoggy
26-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Watching closely you'll see that Tim Callan is bloody quick. One of the best closing speeds in the business. Just has to keep his feet, and his brain doesn't work quite as quick as his body, but great value nonetheless.

My pick for surprise player of the year is Dylan Addison. The boy has frustrated the heck out of me in the past with turnovers, but I love how hard he is at the footy, and his disposal has certainly gone up a notch -- Rocket seems to have helped Dylan simplify his decision-making process, if he can just keep it simple, he will be a borderline gun in the Brad Sewell/Sam Mitchell mold.

Smokey surprise player? Liam Picken. Ready-made body for AFL. Can come in and do a job if injuries hit, and will impress everyone with his appetite for the contest.

---

ps. Williams, Everitt, Ward, Higgins and Griffen won't be surprises. I think most of us expect them to all step up this year and would be very disappointed if they don't.

1eyedog
26-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Callan is actually very quick and has been earmarked to take the Davey's, Matt Campbell, Steven Milne and the like.

I agree, he is quick over 20 metres, however, a lot of the players he will play on are quick over 80 metres and for a whole game. He is quick granted but doesn't have the 5th gear that Davey et al have (in my opinion). He's kinda like Tait bowling, flat out first over and then loses a bit of Mojo at the end.

Dazza
27-03-2009, 12:22 AM
I kind of expect alot of improvement out of Will Minson. I really do see him becoming an important cog in our side this year.

LostDoggy
27-03-2009, 10:53 AM
I kind of expect alot of improvement out of Will Minson. I really do see him becoming an important cog in our side this year.

Hi dazb.

Totally agree about Will. It's a tough gig playing as a full-time full-forward first up if you're not a complete natural at it, but he showed some good signs last year, and players normally do much better second year into something new as they are more used to it -- first year is almost always a transition year.

Aker certainly played much better in his second year than his first. For the same reason I'm expecting Welsh (when fit) and Hudson to actually do much better as well.

Dancin' Douggy
27-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Andrejs Everett for mine.
He was recently diagnosed with glandular fever and who knows how long he may have had it.
Could easily explain some of the second year blues away.

If Andrejs and Tom Williams can lock down 2 half back spots we start to look very very strong down there.
We all remember how fabulous Andrejs looked in those first games he played.
GO ANDREJS!!!!!!!!!!

bornadog
27-03-2009, 07:56 PM
He was recently diagnosed with glandular fever and who knows how long he may have had it.

If Andrejs and Tom Williams can lock down 2 half back spots we start to look very very strong down there.
GO ANDREJS!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget the Knee he did at the start of last year. I agree, we need a big year from the kid.

The Underdog
28-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Daniel Cross would surprise me if he had a 50-50 kick to handball ratio and kicked 15 goals.

LostDoggy
28-03-2009, 06:02 PM

Take the saver at $26 for a place, "The Son of Gary will get a lot of sympathy votes.

LostDoggy
28-03-2009, 06:09 PM
I am also going for Wayde Skipper, if only Rocket would select him at full forward and leave him there to settle into the spot.

comrade
28-03-2009, 06:20 PM
I think Easton Wood will have a good year but my pick is Jarrad Boumann as a defender. He may not crack the senior side as we're pretty settled down back, but if his pre-season form is anything to go by, I think he can really make a name for himself this year as a mobile, athletic backman.

Scraggers
29-03-2009, 12:03 AM

GO ANDREJS!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed ... I'm expecting big things from the lad this year

1eyedog
01-04-2009, 12:25 PM

Happy to eat my words here

bornadog
11-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Every year there is a player that is either starting their career or in their second or third year or has been around for awhile that plays an outstanding year.

If you had to pick any bulldogs player, that in the past, has been just average or shown some potential without staring, who do you think will make 2009 theirs?

Any one change their minds to date.

I think Boyd will be leading the Sutton medal to date.

Mofra
11-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Easily. He, Hill & Higgins are probably the only three players to have enhanced their reputations thus far this year.

westdog54
11-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Any one change their minds to date.

By a country mile.

As for surprising us all, can anyone honestly say they saw Liam Picken coming?

Has been handed some staggeringly big tagging jobs over the past few weeks and has taken them all in his stride. Added McLeod to his already impressive list of scalps.

LostDoggy
11-05-2009, 07:19 PM
I think Boyd Leading Higgins followed by Hill and Gilbee

The Bulldogs Bite
11-05-2009, 07:23 PM
By a country mile.

Has been handed some staggeringly big tagging jobs over the past few weeks and has taken them all in his stride. Added McLeod to his already impressive list of scalps.

Picken has been fantastic.

His first year is very comparable to Morris' first season so far.

The thing that Picken needs to work on is finding more of the ball himself but he's definately been a good pick-up for us so far.

We've really benefitted from the rookie system over the last 6 or so years.

azabob
11-05-2009, 07:27 PM

Do you mean Gilbee has suprised, as in how bad he has been?

LostDoggy
11-05-2009, 07:57 PM
By a country mile.

Well, had him in my Supercoach side at the start of the year so I can say I did.. really felt that he would get a few games this year (after all, was signed to the Dogs as mature-body replacement as immediate back-up to any one of Addison, Callan, Cross, Boyd etc so was always a chance to come in for injury or form), but wasn't expecting this many this quickly.. Already cashed in on the boy! (good thing too, as he didn't score all that well this week, and won't do consistently, with his tagging role, but good cash cow...)

LostDoggy
11-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Do you mean Gilbee has suprised, as in how bad he has been?

I mean in Sutton medal race. Gilbee has played a few very good games but he has a had a couple of ordinary games as well

bornadog
15-09-2009, 12:04 AM

Bump

LostDoggy
15-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Bump

No one likes to hear I told you so. . .:D Good pick Bornadog.

LostDoggy
15-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Smokey surprise player? Liam Picken. Ready-made body for AFL. Can come in and do a job if injuries hit, and will impress everyone with his appetite for the contest.

I told you so. :D

LostDoggy
15-09-2009, 01:17 PM

What about Aker? Clear second to Boyd for me.

LostDoggy
15-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Awesome call.
Anyone else notice that Boyd and Cross tend to alternate having superb years?

LostDoggy
15-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Both Boydy and Callan Ward have both surprised me on how much they improved from last year