PDA

View Full Version : Recovered Cooney to play against Fremantle

Scraggers
24-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Recovered Cooney to play against Fremantle (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/73621/default.aspx)

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20U-Z/Coon_Murph_Rd2108_246a.jpg

By Jennifer Witham
11:40 AM Tue 24 March, 2009

THE WESTERN Bulldogs are confident Brownlow Medallist Adam Cooney will be fit to face Fremantle in Sunday's round one clash at Subiaco Oval but will wait until later in the week to make a decision on forward Robert Murphy's availability.

Both players had knee surgery over the pre-season and were eased into match practice late in the NAB Challenge series.

Cooney, 23, didn't complete his first full training session until early this month.

Coach Rodney Eade said the pair will travel to Perth this week but Cooney is the only definite starter.

"Murphy will make the trip. He'll be going over, but whether he'll play only time will tell," Eade said from Whitten Oval on Tuesday morning.

"He trained reasonably well yesterday (Monday) and our main session is Thursday so he'll train again then. It looks like Adam will play because he's pulled up pretty well."

Eade said defender Tom Williams and forward Scott Welsh will sit out the season opener after limited pre-seasons.

"I've always said Tom will miss round one. He's played the last couple of games but he's more likely to play round two," he said.

"Welsh hasn't played a lot of footy and he was ill for about a week, so he's the only one who definitely won't play."

BulldogBelle
24-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks for posting that up Scraggers.

Cooney always seemed the most likely to play out of he and Murphy. As long as he is ok to play I am happy with that. :)

LostDoggy
24-03-2009, 01:58 PM
No Williams & Welsh..Brings out a few questions

Jarrad Grant Debut? Everitt or Wight for tall CHB option this week?

Desipura
24-03-2009, 03:30 PM

Wight has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he warrants getting a game this week.

LostDoggy
24-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Wight has shown absolutely nothing to suggest he warrants getting a game this week.

Yeah just throwing his name up because hes tall..shocker in the Essendon game

Mantis
24-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Yeah just throwing his name up because hes tall..shocker in the Essendon game

Everitt or Tiller or perhaps both will be the tall defensive options called upon to give Lake, Morris & co. a hand in this weeks game.

LostDoggy
24-03-2009, 05:46 PM
I just hope Cooney is really ready to go, i don't want him out there struggling.

BulldogBelle
24-03-2009, 06:49 PM
I remember the game last year v Fremantle in Perth where Cooney was resting in the Forward line he kicked a couple of goals.....hoping that he repeats this when Rocket rests him in the FP or HFF this week

LostDoggy
25-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Cooney should always rest down forward I reckon instead of coming off -- he's one of the best marks in the league on the lead. Great eye for a goal, would easily be one of our best small forwards if he wasn't a centre.

Go_Dogs
25-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Rocket ends the article by mentioning that Welsh is the only definite not to play. Perhaps that leaves the door open for Williams?

Sockeye Salmon
25-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Rocket ends the article by mentioning that Welsh is the only definite not to play. Perhaps that leaves the door open for Williams?

He's played just a few quarters all pre-season, you wouldn't think so.

LostDoggy
25-03-2009, 06:47 PM

i read in the paper today that we weren't going to play any debutants. (i'm pretty sure, don't have a quote)