Scraggers
24-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Round 1 Match Preview: Fremantle Dockers V Western Bulldogs

Last Time Out

Round 8, 2008
Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final
Fremantle Dockers 6.2 9.5 14.8 17.9 111
Western Bulldogs 6.3 9.4 11.8 17.12 114

Pavlich and Tarrant both kicked 4 goals for Freo, whilst Murphy and Akermanis both kicked 3 goals for the Dogs

Brownlow votes 3: P Bell, 2: B Peake, 1: M Hahn

Other recent games...

Round 12, 16 Jun 2007 (TIO Stadium) Western Bulldogs d Fremantle (141-115)
Round 11, 11 Jun 2006 (Telstra Dome) Western Bulldogs d Fremantle (100-86)
Round 15, 10 Jul 2005 (Subiaco) Fremantle d Western Bulldogs (145-92)
Round 14, 4 Jul 2004 (Telstra Dome) Western Bulldogs def. by Fremantle (76-117)

Form
Hard to judge, as this is the first round so here are the results of the pre-season

Fremantle Dockers Vs
Richmond (NAB Cup) Loss (89 – 96)
North Melbourne (NAB Challenge) Loss (82-45)
West Coast Eagles (NAB Challenge) Win (111-106)
Carlton (NAB Challenge) Win 126-83

Western Bulldogs Vs
Essendon (NAB Cup) Loss (70-69)
St Kilda (NAB Challenge) Loss (61-35)
Sydney Swans (NAB Challenge) Loss (108-81)
Melbourne (NAB Challenge) Win (101-63)

Notable absentees and injuries

Fremantle
Peter Bell (ret.)
Heath Black (ret.)
Josh Carr (delisted)
Matthew Carr (ret.)
Jeff Farmer (ret.)
Mark Johnson (ret.)
Shaun McManus (ret.)
Robert Warnock (traded)
Luke Webster (ret.)

Injuries / Suspensions Des Hedland (Achilles) + Dean Solomon (Suspended)

Western Bulldogs
Andrew McDougall (ret.)
Farren Ray (traded)
Peter Street (delisted)
Scott West (ret.)

Injuries / Suspensions Paul O’Shea (Hip)

Key Match – up
Pavlich v Lake
Fremantle have a number of footballers such as Luke McPharlin, Chris Tarrant, Michael Johnson et al. who all play above their height and who all can take a strong contested mark. With Williams and Welsh unlikely to play, the Bulldogs this week will find themselves in the same predicament as last year, one or two big men short. In saying that, Fremantle have become very one-dimensional; where all forward thrusts must go through the hands of Pavlich … therefore if you can control Pavlich you dry up their scoring chances (particularly with the loss of their best small crumbing forward in Farmer). When Lake is on song, he leads the forwards to ball and sets up great forward movements from the back line. So I believe this match up will be pivotal to the result of the game … if he gets this right, we control the footy.

The X-Factor
I think the X-factor for this game could be played out between the fitness coaches.
Fremantle have signed up former national physical performance coach for the Wallabies, Jason Weber; whilst the Bulldogs snared Bill Davoren (former Australian Triathlon coach).
Last year Fremantle was famous (or infamous) for its last quarter fade-outs and with the weather supposed to be very hot, round one will be a case of who has better prepared the players better over the summer and the depth of fitness in the list.

The Verdict
The Dockers have lost their last three season-openers and have failed to make the finals in two of those years … and with the amount of retirements/ trades/ delistings (particularly from their running department), Freo are probably going to have to play up to three rookies. That being said, Freo are always hard to beat at Subiaco … so, in my opinion, I think the Bulldogs will get up by 18 points in a hot, bruising affair.

The Coon Dog
24-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Thanks Scraggers, nice first up effort.

Obviously stopping Pavlich is super important & we must stop him if we are to win. Interesting that Pav has spent some time in the midfield in the practice games & he may start there & look to create a mismatch by running forward.

If Pavlich, Bradley, McPharlin & Grover all play forward we may be a tall short, that is unless we spring a surprise selection & play an extra tall.

Who really knows what will happen, it's round 1 & anything's possible.

Dogs by 26 points after a tight tussle early.

LostDoggy
24-03-2009, 11:39 PM
With the only form that I have seen being in the NAB cup game I can't add to much but Pavlich is obviously the danger man however if we are on top in the midfield and resrcit the supply it obviously helps the backs and will curb his scoring effect on the game and also Tarrent.

The focus we have herd all summer from the club is Rd 1 priority so lets see what they can do dogs by 30. Bring it on.

Mantis
25-03-2009, 08:50 AM
When Pavlich is up forward I think Morris will play on him. We tend to like to play Brian on a less dangerous opponent so that he can use his attacking instincts in cutting off the opposition's forward thrusts.

Nice preview Scraggers, always a bit tough to do such a write-up early in the season when you have little or no form to go off.

Bulldog Revolution
25-03-2009, 09:32 AM
When Pavlich is up forward I think Morris will play on him. We tend to like to play Brian on a less dangerous opponent so that he can use his attacking instincts in cutting off the opposition's forward thrusts.

Morris has done some great jobs on Pavlich and seems to be the preferred matchup

Who will go with Palmer?

What type of form is Haselby in?

LostDoggy
25-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Maybe Boyd to go with Rhys Palmer?

Mantis
25-03-2009, 09:58 AM
It's going to be interesting to see how our forwardline set's up and where our goals come from.

With Murphy extremely doubtful we may be robbed of our lead up forward who normally excels on the wide expanses of Subiaco. Welsh is a confirmed non-starter so we will be missing one of our key goal-kickers from last season.

I think we will try and isolate Johnson and perhaps Cooney inside our forward 50 and try and run & carry the ball thru the centre of the ground. Going to be a taxing style in the expected hot conditions so we may try and slow the game down, especially late in the quarters.

LostDoggy
25-03-2009, 10:34 AM
I really like the idea of Pavlich and Morris. Pavlich has a tendency of pushing up the ground, floating around half forward and even pushing into the midfield on occasion. I think Morris has the tank to follow him up the ground and the pace to close him down.

Lake is too vulnerable away from fullback, he gets exposed too often and loses his natural instinct to attack the footy and drive us forward. Brian is exceptional at chopping of the lofted ball by leaving his opponent and being third up.

If we can negate Sandilands influence and win the midfield battle, we win go a long way to winning this game. I'm not full of confidence, Freo will be up and about but I think we are fundamentally a far better football sdie than Freo and if we can scrap through the first half and be there abouts, we will win.

Go_Dogs
25-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Nice preview Scraggers.

I am really excited for the start of the season, and Rd1 is always the best, most competitive round of the year, besides finals, imo.

By the sounds of things we may be a few key players down, but I still feel that we should be able to win this game. I think it'll be very close, with us running over the top of them later in the game.

Mantis, I like you idea of Cooney playing forward - especially if he's going to struggle in the midfield. Creates another viable goal kicking option, and can also help clog the ball up in F50 with his defensive pressure.

Sockeye Salmon
25-03-2009, 11:33 AM
If we can negate Sandilands influence and win the midfield battle, we win go a long way to winning this game. I'm not full of confidence, Freo will be up and about but I think we are fundamentally a far better football sdie than Freo and if we can scrap through the first half and be there abouts, we will win.

I wonder if we will use the same tactics Carlton used by having a third man up at the stoppages (and kneeing Sandilands in the back at every opportunity)?

And I wonder if the umpires will burn us for it because of the publicity this week?

bornadog
25-03-2009, 11:43 AM
I am glad we have Freo first up, its good to get them out of the way, just wish it was a night match when its a bit cooler, but the AFL are too dumb to think about that.

Will be an interesting match and with all the retirements and delistings, we are looking at a very different Freo. However, we also look a little under done with Murp out and some doubt on Cooneys fitness, as well as a little short in defence. They will be hard to beat, as always on their home turf, but we should be able to overcome them easily. dogs by 35 points

Scraggers
25-03-2009, 12:34 PM
I am glad we have Freo first up, its good to get them out of the way, just wish it was a night match when its a bit cooler, but the AFL are too dumb to think about that.

Will be an interesting match and with all the retirements and delistings, we are looking at a very different Freo. However, we also look a little under done with Murp out and some doubt on Cooneys fitness, as well as a little short in defence. They will be hard to beat, as always on their home turf, but we should be able to overcome them easily. dogs by 35 points

the weather bureau has modified the forcast to 27 deg. (instead of the predicted 35 deg) and the game starts 4:10pm local ... hopefully heat wont be as big a factor as first thought

The Coon Dog
25-03-2009, 12:57 PM
the weather bureau has modified the forcast to 27 deg. (instead of the predicted 35 deg) and the game starts 4:10pm local ... hopefully heat wont be as big a factor as first thought

4.10pm local time would be more like 5.10pm local time wouldn't it Scraggers seeing as Daylight Savings ends on Saturday night in WA?

Scraggers
25-03-2009, 01:14 PM
4.10pm local time would be more like 5.10pm local time wouldn't it Scraggers seeing as Daylight Savings ends on Saturday night in WA?

Do you mean the real local time ... the daylight savings local time ... or the fact that WA is 20 years behind anyway, so I've got no idea of the time :p

LostDoggy
25-03-2009, 02:10 PM
I agree with TCD, I think Fremantle have a number of good tall players that are almost certain to play Saturday. They will definitely attempt to expose us for height across the ground:

Forwards:
Matthew Pavlich (192) (Mid)
Luke McPharlin (193) (Defender)
Ryan Murphy (193)
Chris Tarrant (193)
Antoni Grover (189)
Ruck:
Aaron Sandilands (211)
Kelper Bradley, (199)
Midfield:
David Mundy (192) (Forward/Defender)
Defenders:
Michael Johnson (194) (Midfield)
Daniel Gilmore (191)
Scott Thronton (194)

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Grant and/or Skipper play to pull a couple of there tall forwards down back.

Likely Match-Ups:
Pavlich – Morris
McPharlin – Lake
Ryan Murphy – Everitt or Tiller
Tarrant – Hargrave
Grover – Addison
M. Johnson – Skipper
Gilmore – Grant
Thornton – Minson
Sandilands – Hudson
Mundy - ?

The two danger men are:
1. Pavlich (Obviously); and
2. Mundy- Hasn’t missed anything in the pre-season, extremely fit, mobile and is a fantastic user of the football.
Both will play a fair bit through the midfield with hard running into the forward line. This I believe is a major concern. Who takes them when they go into the middle? Suggestions: Griffen to Pavlich and Cross to Mundy?

Other key match up’s, I think you’ll see Haydn/Solomon to go to Johnson.

LostDoggy
25-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Never seen so many retirements after a season. They're really going to blood some young, unknown players this year by the looks of it. A moderate weather forecast will help us greatly.

The Coon Dog
25-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Grant won't play & Solomon is still ou suspended.

Morris v Pavlich = the key battle. Stop Pavlich & you go along way towards winning.

Rocket Science
25-03-2009, 02:20 PM
We're watching youngsters, not Pav: Akermanis (http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/were-watching-youngsters-not-pav-akermanis-20090325-99fw.html)

WAtoday - Tim Clarke
March 25, 2009 - 7:39AM

Western Bulldogs superstar Jason Akermanis has said Fremantle skipper Matthew Pavlich is not the man his side have to be wary of in Sunday's AFL opener - rather his underrated understudies such as David Mundy and Byron Schammer.

Fremantle's new look side will go into the Subiaco Oval clash as slight underdogs against Rodney Eade's men, despite the disparity in seasons last year that saw the Dockers finish 14th and the Bulldogs fall just short of a grand final.

Coming into the last season of a stellar career that has included a Brownlow medal and three premierships, Akermanis has said he is relishing the chance of playing two more games in Perth - despite them both coming in the first month of the season.

The often controversial personality has made another big call on the eve of season 2009, saying the Dogs knew what to expect from the Fremantle skipper - and so were concentrating more on possible improvement from the Dockers' second tier.

"I have no doubt Rocket (coach Rodney Eade) is thinking when he (Pavlich) is forward someone of equal size, more than anything and ability, will go with him," Akermanis said.

"When he is in midfield any number of players can go with him, and I think with our midfield ... he, like anyone else, will have to be accountable.

"I would not think it would be one person (to track Pavlich), it would be more of a team thing. I think it is Mundy, Schammer these guys after their pre-season, they are the ones to watch.

"Pavlich you know what you are going to get, a very high standard game from him, the other guys are literally underrated and we need to watch them."

In 16 previous appearances in WA, Akermanis has only tasted victory five times, but the former Brisbane playmaker said he was determined to relish every moment of his swansong.

"Being me I want to play as much as I can in my last year, and round four it is certainly your last chance to play in Perth barring finals," Akermanis said.

"To play that last game in Perth in round four (against the Eagles) for my career things like that I want to be in."

Akermanis said Fremantle's pre-season, which ended with a handsome win over Carlton, showed they could be a team on the move.

"No doubt that Carlton would not have been as emotionally switched to play that last round against Fremantle over there, but credit to Fremantle for putting on a fantastic game," Akermanis told radio 6PR.

"They are a young side in essence, with lots of run.

"But you have got to give credit where it is due so far, they want to change things up, they want a new style.

"We have got a lot of respect for them, and we know round one is one of the tougher asks in footy."

bornadog
25-03-2009, 02:24 PM

I believe 4.10 pm is correct, WA turns the clock back one week earlier than Melbourne. The game is scheduled at 4.10pm.

LostDoggy
25-03-2009, 04:51 PM
I wonder if we will use the same tactics Carlton used by having a third man up at the stoppages (and kneeing Sandilands in the back at every opportunity)?

And I wonder if the umpires will burn us for it because of the publicity this week?

If our ruckman is watching the ball and ploughs in knees first, then it should be play on every time.

I like the tactic, BTW, if we can take his attention away from the ball and more on the opponent then he has less chance of finding a target as he will always be looking down for a set of knees ready to break his ribs. We will never out tap him, a matter of making him tap it to us.

Desipura
25-03-2009, 05:08 PM
Grant won't play & Solomon is still ou suspended.

Morris v Pavlich = the key battle. Stop Pavlich & you go along way towards winning.

TCD, do you know for sure Grant wont play? If so, will Murph & Cooney play or just Cooney?
Rocket hinted that if the weather was cooler than 35 deg, Murphy would most likely play.

Remi Moses
25-03-2009, 05:51 PM
One week and 20 years more like it. Glad the forecast has been amended,how moronic to have afternoon games in March April or even May in Perth!I was there in May 93 VEagles and it was 30.interesting to note Robert Shaw has us being 15th after round 4.:rolleyes:

Sockeye Salmon
25-03-2009, 06:14 PM
If our ruckman is watching the ball and ploughs in knees first, then it should be play on every time.

I like the tactic, BTW, if we can take his attention away from the ball and more on the opponent then he has less chance of finding a target as he will always be looking down for a set of knees ready to break his ribs. We will never out tap him, a matter of making him tap it to us.

I wasn't meaning for our ruckman to knee him, I meant someone like Crossy as third man up.

bornadog
25-03-2009, 06:20 PM
interesting to note Robert Shaw has us being 15th after round 4.:rolleyes:

Heard that today and was tempted to ring in, but couldn't be bothered wasting my time.

lemmon
25-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Would anyone see any value in playing Everitt on Pav when he goes into the midfield. I like having Morris on him deep but IMO Everitt has a bigger tank. The other thing is Tarrant could be a danger against us, seems to have the pace and tank to burn Lake off when on the lead. IMO we will be playing a spare man in defence to cover that. I have no doubt we should get up, we have a clearly dominant midfield and first hands on the footy wins games. Look for Griffen to tear it up on the wide open space of subiaco.
My tip is the dogs to win by 29

bornadog
25-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Would anyone see any value in playing Everitt on Pav when he goes into the midfield. I like having Morris on him deep but IMO Everitt has a bigger tank. The other thing is Tarrant could be a danger against us, seems to have the pace and tank to burn Lake off when on the lead. IMO we will be playing a spare man in defence to cover that. I have no doubt we should get up, we have a clearly dominant midfield and first hands on the footy wins games. Look for Griffen to tear it up on the wide open space of subiaco.
My tip is the dogs to win by 29

Shaggy usually picks up Tarrant and does well on him. I like Morris on Pav and Lake can pick up one of the other talls.

azabob
25-03-2009, 07:09 PM
TCD, do you know for sure Grant wont play? If so, will Murph & Cooney play or just Cooney?
Rocket hinted that if the weather was cooler than 35 deg, Murphy would most likely play.

Still shaking my head they are even toying with the idea of playing Cooney and Murphy. Both should be left in Melbourne to play with Williamstown, and if they cant play with Williamstown do some cross training.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-03-2009, 07:13 PM

You like the tactic of of making him worried someone will break his ribs???? I suggest you look at yourself in the mirror.

azabob
25-03-2009, 07:19 PM
One week and 20 years more like it. Glad the forecast has been amended,how moronic to have afternoon games in March April or even May in Perth!I was there in May 93 VEagles and it was 30.interesting to note Robert Shaw has us being 15th after round 4.:rolleyes:

He could be right. Against Freo its a 50 / 50 game, Next up is North and when was the last time we beat them?
Richmond in round 3 should win, West Coast in round 4 again another tough game, then Carlton and we have not beaten them for a couple of years.

If we are serious contenders for this year after round 5 we should be 3 wins and 2 loses at worst.....

Mantis
25-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Still shaking my head they are even toying with the idea of playing Cooney and Murphy. Both should be left in Melbourne to play with Williamstown, and if they cant play with Williamstown do some cross training.

Why would you bother giving Cooney cross training? The guy is physically fit, it's just his lack of match conditioning that is a concern.

Bulldog Revolution
26-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Cooney will be able to adjust his game, as he is used to carrying various ailments. You have to put a good player on him so he stretches their backline or their midfield stopper depth.

Its unlikely Murph will play

LostDoggy
26-03-2009, 08:38 AM
You like the tactic of of making him worried someone will break his ribs???? I suggest you look at yourself in the mirror.

Oh jesus :rolleyes:

I don't mean that literally, we need to attack him physically and take his focus off the ball.

The best way to attack a ruckman physically is to launch in at the centre bounce, obviously not to break his ribs, but certainly to make contact.

The Underdog
26-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks Scraggers, nice work. I'm never overly confident against Freo, especially in Perth. We've never gone particularly well against them and even our win last year was fairly lucky after a pretty poor first half. They are the most schizophrenic team running around but with guys like Pavlich and Sandilands, can't be underestimated. However we really should be able to exploit them in the midfield. We match up pretty well through the middle and although our forward line set-up is still a weakness especially with the potential of Murph missing we should be able to get over the line. It's actually pretty crucial considering what we have coming up in the next 3 weeks that we get 4 points on the board.

LostDoggy
26-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Hayden- Class act. Can be suspect one out and tends to drop off his opponent. Would try and take him deep into forward line. Needs respect when Dockers have the ball. Need to match him up with someone he/Harvey respects to nullify his run.

David Mundy- most overrated player in the AFL. Poor decision maker. Needs to be matched up on someone who will continuously running and harrassing. A fit Hahn would be perfect.

Ryan Murphy (if he plays)- Never marks above his head. Hargrave could be a good match up.

Crowley- great set of hands. Hard, talented and Freo's best midfielder.

bornadog
26-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Hayden- Class act. Can be suspect one out and tends to drop off his opponent. Would try and take him deep into forward line. Needs respect when Dockers have the ball. Need to match him up with someone he/Harvey respects to nullify his run.

David Mundy- most overrated player in the AFL. Poor decision maker. Needs to be matched up on someone who will continuously running and harrassing. A fit Hahn would be perfect.

Ryan Murphy (if he plays)- Never marks above his head. Hargrave could be a good match up.

Crowley- great set of hands. Hard, talented and Freo's best midfielder.

What about Tiller (if he plays) on Ryan Murphy and keep Shaggy for Tarrant?

LostDoggy
26-03-2009, 02:28 PM
What about Tiller (if he plays) on Ryan Murphy and keep Shaggy for Tarrant?

Could do. Tarrant tipped to play more midfield and even back this year.

Ozza
26-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Current odds head to head are:
Freo 1.80
Dogs 1.95.

They're kidding aren't they - 3rd vs 14th from last year - and they've lost Peter Bell and Farmer (who always carved us up). I'm not saying we should be short priced but surely the odds are around the wrong way. Personally I think we may just trounce this lot. I hope I'm right!

The Bulldogs Bite
26-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Freo 1.80
Dogs 1.95.

They're kidding aren't they - 3rd vs 14th from last year - and they've lost Peter Bell and Farmer (who always carved us up). I'm not saying we should be short priced but surely the odds are around the wrong way. Personally I think we may just trounce this lot. I hope I'm right!

I can understand the odds. Fremantle really need to win the game, it's crucial they improve on last season and so you would expect them to be fit and firing early. On the other hand, a number of our quality players have had interrupted pre-seasons. Murphy/Welsh out will hurt, Cooney/Williams underdone. Puts a lot of emphasis on players like Hill, Everitt, Addison, Griffen and Harbrow to contribute. That's where our improvement needs to come from too - but over in Perth and with these factors, I can't say I am overly confident either.

It would be a terrific effort if we come away with the win.

soupman
27-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Freo 1.80
Dogs 1.95.

I'm just surprised by the tipsters in the Herald Sun changing their tips to Freo when they stand to make more points with us. So they tip us originally, but when they realise Freo earn less points they switch over. Why?

Bumper Bulldogs
28-03-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm just surprised by the tipsters in the Herald Sun changing their tips to Freo when they stand to make more points with us. So they tip us originally, but when they realise Freo earn less points they switch over. Why?

Wouldn't read to much into it as even I pick more winners that most of them in the paper. The media just fail to rate us and will do at their own peril, Even last night on AW they couldn't leave it lone with Geelong & Hawks the best two sides and then a long way back to the next next best in Collingwood, Stkilda & the Bulldogs.

Thought we beat all sides except Geelong last year.

This week Dogs by 32 points with Cross, Boyd, Griffin cutting them up.

1eyedog
28-03-2009, 02:37 PM
We should win by 9 goals (-6 goal home advantage) gives us a 3 goal win. We are a far better team and are so further advanced than them that this is what I would expect.